Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Its fine as it is IMO.

Winter is chosen for practical weather reasons in Africa.

We have about 50 club games a year without friendlies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Knex. wrote: »
    Apparently, we've only a 4% probability of finishing outside of the top 4.

Man United, for contrast, have only a 15% probability of finishing in the top 4.

http://imgur.com/THcTbMF

Seems fairly wishy washy, but there ya go.

50,000 runs is hardly wishy washy! That's a good scrub.

Last two for comparison

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CzyClf4XEAAm6VQ.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CzUCEGLWIAAZWvC.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Last two for comparison

Hendersons knees will be fooked after that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Presume the other one is rarnes then?
    We are all rarnes. I'm rarnes3279. Hi all:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

LiamoSail wrote: »
    It's frustrating but the WC interrupts plenty of domestic competitions too, certainly the South American ones.

Surely the priority with the African Nations Cup scheduling should be domestic African football rather than European football?

I don't think every international tournament should be scheduled to suit Europe at the expense of every other continent

Yeah that's a good point, I never thought of the WC interrupting the south american season. Still tho that's not quite like for like as the WC includes every footballing nation whether qualified or not, Afcon does not. Can you imagine if there was no such thing as international football and all the international comps were being introduced, there is no way Afcon could get approved today imo whereas the WC would. I think we are stuck in a rut of "well this is how we have always done it" mentality regarding Afcon and it seriously needs to be addressed imho.

• Advertisement

5starpool wrote: »
    79% probability those figures are meaningless.

Sure at least 42% of all statistics are simply made up on the spot, even more online. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

mormank wrote: »
    LiamoSail wrote: »
    It's frustrating but the WC interrupts plenty of domestic competitions too, certainly the South American ones.

Surely the priority with the African Nations Cup scheduling should be domestic African football rather than European football?

I don't think every international tournament should be scheduled to suit Europe at the expense of every other continent

Yeah that's a good point, I never thought of the WC interrupting the south american season. Still tho that's not quite like for like as the WC includes every footballing nation whether qualified or not, Afcon does not. Can you imagine if there was no such thing as international football and all the international comps were being introduced, there is no way Afcon could get approved today imo whereas the WC would. I think we are stuck in a rut of "well this is how we have always done it" mentality regarding Afcon and it seriously needs to be addressed imho.
    Plus AFCON is yearly, world cup every 4 years and euros every 4 years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Just on the rarnes multiple account joke thing......Its funny, and I remember having a good laugh about it through the years but I cannot remember how it originated, can any one else remember?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

eyerer wrote: »
    Plus AFCON is yearly, world cup every 4 years and euros every 4 years

Afcon is bi-annual. Every club knows this before signing African players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

garra wrote: »

To be honest, i don't know why we are suddenly moaning about all this. It's never really affected us before and just because it is now, well that's just our tough luck.

As you say, we knew this was the case when we signed Mane so we just have to suck it up and hope Sturridge can do a job, plus Coutinho will be back.

• Advertisement

Last two for comparison

The bookies must use a very different algorithm to generate the PL outright betting odds.

Computer says LFC have 26% chance of 1st place, PP offering a generous 11/2
    Computer says MCFC have 6% chance of 1st place, PP offering a scabby 9/2

I've never met a poor bookie so will take Computer's output with a gallon of salt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

5 clean sheets in the last 7 games. Bournemouth and West Ham being the two games we dropped points in.

Dropped points v Southampton also ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

Yeah that's it in a nutshell. You know when signing the player that he'll go missing for a bit of the season every couple of years and you just have to deal with with it.
    You won't hear Klopp making any excuses or complaining, he will just get on with it and so will the team, frustrating as it is.

Coutinho will be back soon so what we lose in one way we gain in another.

For about 60 seconds last night I was thinking we'd be losing Henderson for a lot longer as well.
    Sh!t happens. And it could be worse.

Before the Boro result there were some geniuses (in media, not here) saying we didn't look like coping without Coutinho after the Bournemouth and West Ham games but they weren't even mentioning his name after M'Boro and last night so it will probably be similar when Mane is away.
    Lose/draw and we can't cope without Mane, win and he won't get mentioned.

Either way you have to be able to cope without one or two key players.
    I think we'll be ok without him for a bit.
    And like you said, it's not as though we didn't know this was gonna happen when we bought him.

monkey9 wrote: »
    To be honest, i don't know why we are suddenly moaning about all this. It's never really affected us before and just because it is now, well that's just our tough luck.

As you say, we knew this was the case when we signed Mane so we just have to suck it up and hope Sturridge can do a job, plus Coutinho will be back.

It's only Mormank that seems to have a major problem with it, everyone else just having a wee moan

The bookies must use a very different algorithm to generate the PL outright betting odds.

x43r0 would be the man to ask there. He seems to be very shrewd with the auld gambling! :D

(@x43r0, sorry fella, I just couldn't resist) :)

I'd say it's fairly obvious why we are talking about it now. That's generally how humans interact. They talk about things that have/are happening to them. Like you said, it never really affected us before so why would we talk about it before. :confused:

Yeah that's it in a nutshell. You know when signing the player that he'll go missing for a bit of the season every couple of years and you just have to deal with with it.
    You won't hear Klopp making any excuses or complaining, he will just get on with it and so will the team, frustrating as it is.

Coutinho will be back soon so what we lose in one way we gain in another.

For about 60 seconds last night I was thinking we'd be losing Henderson for a lot longer as well.
    Sh!t happens. And it could be worse.

Before the Boro result there were some geniuses (in media, not here) saying we didn't look like coping without Coutinho after the Bournemouth and West Ham games but they weren't even mentioning his name after M'Boro and last night so it will probably be similar when Mane is away.
    Lose/draw and we can't cope without Mane, win and he won't get mentioned.

Either way you have to be able to cope without one or two key players.
    I think we'll be ok without him for a bit.
    And like you said, it's not as though we didn't know this was gonna happen when we bought him.

Ah so it's a bit like owning Sturridge then except it's bi-annually and not annually. :pac:
    It's only Mormank that seems to have a major problem with it, everyone else just having a wee moan

I wouldn't say major problem. I've always thought it was a joke tbh, as in there must be a better way and not to just scrap afcon. Plus why not do it very 4 years instead of bi-annually? Find other ways of generating coin for African nations to make up the revenue lost. Perhaps if a winter break is introduced they could go off to afcon instead of getting a rest I dunno! But I'm not paid millions to come up with solutions to these issues and I'm merely suggesting that whoever is should think of a better solution.

I'd say it's fairly obvious why we are talking about it now. That's generally how humans interact. They talk about things that have/are happening to them. Like you said, it never really affected us before so why would we talk about it before. :confused:

Yeah, but the African Nations Cup doesn't revolve around Liverpool and who we sign. It is what it is and it's on when it's on. Yeah, Mane is missing next month. We all knew that when he signed. I'm not sure why it needs a debate on it's existence or it's timing just because we suddenly become affected by it now?

He's gone next month, we always knew that and there's nothing to be done about it except hope Senegal get knocked out ASAP. I'm more interested in seeing who the likes of Sturridge, Coutinho etc do without him.

x43r0 would be the man to ask there. He seems to be very shrewd with the auld gambling! :D

(@x43r0, sorry fella, I just couldn't resist) :)

"In a bet there is a fool and a thief."

Or a very drunk x43r0 trying to way-lay the misery of a 0-0 result with a 50 quid bet to win 7!!

Yeah, but the African Nations Cup doesn't revolve around Liverpool and who we sign. It is what it is and it's on when it's on. Yeah, Mane is missing next month. We all knew that when he signed. I'm not sure why it needs a debate on it's existence or it's timing just because we suddenly become affected by it now?

He's gone next month, we always knew that and there's nothing to be done about it except hope Senegal get knocked out ASAP. I'm more interested in seeing who the likes of Sturridge, Coutinho etc do without him.

It doesn't need a debate but that's the nature of discussion forums really. One person gives their opinion on something and if somebody wants to reply they can. There is no agenda of what we should and shouldn't discuss.
    As for the second part, screw it, if he is gonna be gone I'd rather he came back a champion a few games later full of confidence. We need champions in our team. Currently we have none by my quick off the top of my head count, unless maybe if you include under age football.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

noodler wrote: »
    Its fine as it is IMO.

Winter is chosen for practical weather reasons in Africa.

We have about 50 club games a year without friendlies.

Not sure its chosen for that reason tbh. It was 42 degrees when i was in South Africa first week of February, couldnt walk barefoot in the sand.

In Gabon it will probably be 15 degrees cooler that time of year. Vast difference in temp dependent on location.

In any case, Mane definitely misses the Manchester United and Swansea games. If Senegal get out of the group he probably misses the Chelsea game also as its 3 days before. Gets to semi's or final he misses the Hull game. Back for Spurs at home on 11th Feb.

Computer says LFC have 26% chance of 1st place, PP offering a generous 11/2
    Computer says MCFC have 6% chance of 1st place, PP offering a scabby 9/2

I've never met a poor bookie so will take Computer's output with a gallon of salt

The "computer" in this case is seemingly a total POS :)

After 17 games there's a pt between City and LFC. The 6% and 26% figures you mention don't at all make sense, the bookies prices are not at all off considering there's a 10 to 15% profit margin built in.

"In a bet there is a fool and a thief."

Or a very drunk x43r0 trying to way-lay the misery of a 0-0 result with a 50 quid bet to win 7!!

:D haha, ah yeah it was comedy gold. Fair balls to him for posting it up though.
    Top class.

I can only imagine the look on his face when the goal went in, pure delight for a minute or two and then the sudden realisation of "Ah jaysus there goes my money"

I'd have happily coughed up a fifty last night anyway for that goal so it ain't all bad.

Not quite the same but I had stuck 500 on Arsenal to beat Birmingham in the league cup final years ago.
    Was stupid of me as odds were crap but I was thinking a few bob profit was better than nothing and cheer me up a tad when they won as I had agreed to watch it in the boozer with a friend who's a big Arsenal head.

After it was over the two of us just sat there at the bar depressed.
    He had his reasons and I had mine.

http://www.thisisanfield.com/2016/12/daniel-sturridge-proves-continued-relevance-liverpool-return-injury/

"In the 82 minutes before Sturridge came on, the Reds had seven shots on goal, and in the 17 after that, they had four.

This saw their average of 11.7 minutes per shot before Sturridge came on rise to 4.3 minutes per shot, with Klopp finally witnessing a change in emphasis in the final third."

More shots more goals :pac:

It doesn't need a debate but that's the nature of discussion forums really. One person gives their opinion on something and if somebody wants to reply they can. There is no agenda of what we should and shouldn't discuss.
    As for the second part, screw it, if he is gonna be gone I'd rather he came back a champion a few games later full of confidence. We need champions in our team. Currently we have none by my quick off the top of my head count, unless maybe if you include under age football.

This is nothing at you or anything by the way, i just seen the African Nations mentioned in other posts and i knew this talk would be arriving around this time of year.

I'm not saying it doesn't annoy me that he's gone next month. But it does irk me when fans suddenly discuss the merits of the ANC just because they sign an African player who is a big part of their team. Their club doesn't suddenly become more relevant or more important that the ANC should be changed to a different time of year.

Again, this isn't aimed at you specifically or even this thread, it's just a common moan i hear a lot from fans of lots of clubs. I do understand the reasons and annoyance behind it, but as i said, you know what you're buying.

There's an arguement that the ANC should be moved to the summer to suit the European clubs and i'd be happy enough for that to happen. But the arguement is also there that the ANC is it's own tournament with it's own pride and history and also tradition so why should it move just to suit another continent?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

5starpool wrote: »
    79% probability those figures are meaningless.

From bitter experience of playing catch up on the top 4 we know they aren't far off!

Klopp is the first Liverpool manager to win his first 2 derby games.

Everton had 9 shots in those 2 games, they had 1 on target.

They had the sum total of 9 passes inside our penalty area, thought they had more but I suppose it sums up my general feelings on them, good first 20 minutes but all huff and puff, no real danger other than the chance of Lukaku doing something special.

I kind of wonder will Everton see the best out of him.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

NukaCola wrote: »
    Just on the rarnes multiple account joke thing......Its funny, and I remember having a good laugh about it through the years but I cannot remember how it originated, can any one else remember?

Somebody accused him of multiple accounts in a DRP thread IIRC and it stuck.

Speaking of which, would the real rarnes please stand up? Or have we lost another regular.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

NukaCola wrote: »

I remember a new mod getting cross about the discussion about reregs until I sent a PM explaining it was a joke. That's a good while back too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

K-9 wrote: »
    Somebody accused him of multiple accounts in a DRP thread IIRC and it stuck.

Speaking of which, would the real rarnes please stand up? Or have we lost another regular.

Pretty sure he is one of the Klopp's but there are multiple Klopp names now so he could be all of them :P

• Advertisement

Augeo wrote: »
    The "computer" in this case is seemingly a total POS :)

After 17 games there's a pt between City and LFC. The 6% and 26% figures you mention don't at all make sense, the bookies prices are not at all off considering there's a 10 to 15% profit margin built in.

The computer must be taking into account all sorts of stats from the matches played up to now, but as we know all too well... Past performance is no indicator of future returns..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Talk now that Cameroon want the 7 players who are refusing the international call up to be banned for the length of the tournament as all 7 including Matip were included in the national team squad.

Talk now that Cameroon want the 7 players who are refusing the international call up to be banned for the length of the tournament as all 7 including Matip were included in the national team squad.

I take it all back, Afcon SUCKS WIND :mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

If they want to play my football, nay, our football, this is the price they pay.

Now lets go start a chant

To the tune of Queens Radio Gaga:-

All we need is Sadio Mane, Sadio Mane
    All we need is Sadio Mane.
    Saaadiiii-oh its true,
    We all still love you

Came up with that all pissed and emotional around this time last night :o

Pretty sure he is one of the Klopp's but there are multiple Klopp names now so he could be all of them :P

Jurgen Klopp registered the other day.

Jurgen Klopp registered the other day.

Jesus! Nice one. Never even heard a dicky-bird about it!
    Bout time we got some decent input on here.

Did you still make him register his interest in joining the football forum like the rest of us?

• Advertisement

Ach, I wouldn't be too worried man. I'd be amazed if anything comes of it.

Sounds like a knee-jerk move anyway. Players will just retire now instead of making themselves technically unavailable.

Will be amazed if he gets banned from playing for us tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,952 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

They should all just say their grannies died.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Such a stupid rule

:D

Very good! Hopefully a better follow-up story than Stephen Ireland though.

Some sort of bingo-related disaster. Legs eleven, they're all gone to heaven.
    All the fours, Grannies no more.
    All the two's......... So that Granny is who's?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Hopefully they spend the kitty on bringing DDG home instead, albeit he doesn't look quite so good this season.

If United don't get in the top 4 this season he could be gone although they might do the EL and qualify that way.

He could still go to Madrid though as he mightn't get another chance.

If Coutinho ever does go it will be to Suarezelona.

• Advertisement

Where's your granny gone?
    Where's your granny gone?
    Far far away
    Far far away

dogbert27 wrote: »
    If United don't get in the top 4 this season he could be gone although they might do the EL and qualify that way.

He could still go to Madrid though as he mightn't get another chance.

Just on that subject and not to be annoying anyone by discussing a Manc player on here but I still can't work out why he signed that new contract that time when Madrid were trying to sign him and the deal fell through.

Surely it can't have been about money. He'd have gotten plenty of that if he had held on and delayed a decision for another season.
    Seemed really bizarre to me to agree to the move and then sign a new 4 year deal after it fell through. But maybe I missed something at the time?

I think he's the best keeper in the world personally. And he's still very young as keepers go.

All 3 of them.

Rodgers nearly signed Shaqiri? I remember the links but thought it was just click bait.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/shaqiri-rodgers-liverpool-were-desperate-12348482

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Just on that subject and not to be annoying anyone by discussing a Manc player on here but I still can't work out why he signed that new contract that time when Madrid were trying to sign him and the deal fell through.

Surely it can't have been about money. He'd have gotten plenty of that if he had held on and delayed a decision for another season.
    Seemed really bizarre to me to agree to the move and then sign a new 4 year deal after it fell through. But maybe I missed something at the time?

I think he's the best keeper in the world personally. And he's still very young as keepers go.

The thinking at the time was that it gave him a huge raise, and included a get-out clause for Madrid to come back and get him, but they didn't over the following windows, and then got banned from the next one.

All a bit odd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Well if he'd made the decision to let his contract run out (final year) on his relatively small wage at the time then he'd have been one career ending injury away from a financial problem. Aged 25, maybe a million or two in the bank but no prospect of ever earning big money again and would have had to make a major lifestyle downgrade to get the money to last the potentially 70 more years of his life.

Signing the new deal effectively gave him lifetime security for himself, kids and grandkids. Near enough £9M a year for 5 years I think. No brainer for him really.

Deli Ali.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Deli Ali.

Corner deli

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    The thinking at the time was that it gave him a huge raise, and included a get-out clause for Madrid to come back and get him, but they didn't over the following windows, and then got banned from the next one.

All a bit odd.

Yeah all a bit odd indeed.
    He'll still probably end up there eventually I guess but still it was all a bit strange.

@ ArmaniJeanss, fair enough but players let contracts run out all the time.
    Happens every season.
    Actually they usually see it as a big pay chance.
    Plus he could have done a pre-contract deal by Jan 1st (few months)
    And he's a GKeeper so the chance of career ending injury wouldnt be huge and I'm sure these guys have huge insurance.
    Jesus, even Joe Cole and Harry Kewell weren't worried about that! :)

This is nothing at you or anything by the way, i just seen the African Nations mentioned in other posts and i knew this talk would be arriving around this time of year.

I'm not saying it doesn't annoy me that he's gone next month. But it does irk me when fans suddenly discuss the merits of the ANC just because they sign an African player who is a big part of their team. Their club doesn't suddenly become more relevant or more important that the ANC should be changed to a different time of year.

Again, this isn't aimed at you specifically or even this thread, it's just a common moan i hear a lot from fans of lots of clubs. I do understand the reasons and annoyance behind it, but as i said, you know what you're buying.

There's an arguement that the ANC should be moved to the summer to suit the European clubs and i'd be happy enough for that to happen. But the arguement is also there that the ANC is it's own tournament with it's own pride and history and also tradition so why should it move just to suit another continent?

If African nations were paying their wages I would have no problem with it. I would have the exact same outlook if South America suddenly decided to have an international tournie in April and we had to release players, same for every continent. In short they should move it to suit another continent when that other continent is paying the wages of the player to help their clubs to success. I don't want to get into the merits of international football debate but I wouldn't be surprised to see it scrapped in the future or downgraded to amatuer players or something like that.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement