Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

mormank wrote: »
    If African nations were paying their wages I would have no problem with it. I would have the exact same outlook if South America suddenly decided to have an international tournie in April and we had to release players, same for every continent. In short they should move it to suit another continent when that other continent is paying the wages of the player to help their clubs to success. I don't want to get into the merits of international football debate but I wouldn't be surprised to see it scrapped in the future or downgraded to amatuer players or something like that.

You're talking about re-arranging the African Cup Of Nations to suit Europeans then?
    And if that doesn't suit it could be downgraded to amateur?

Is that actually what you're saying?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

You're talking about re-arranging the African Cup Of Nations to suit Europeans then?

No I'm just saying that in the future I wouldn't be surprised if international football in general was scrapped, not just afcon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    The thinking at the time was that it gave him a huge raise, and included a get-out clause for Madrid to come back and get him, but they didn't over the following windows, and then got banned from the next one.

All a bit odd.

He was not going to be in the team if he did not sign a new deal. That would have meant he was not going to be Spain's number 1 for the championships the following summer (most likely)

Added to a good bump in pay, a secure contract and the knowledge that if Madrid ever do want to come back and offer stupid money for him he will be allowed to leave, as all players are, if he chooses to.

He had nothing to lose by signing the new contract when the move fell through. Interestingly the Madrid fan vote on the matter went against him anyway, they were unhappy at losing Navas, understandably, and were happy for Navas to continue to be number 1 feeling the investment in the squad was needed elsewhere. Navas was and is quality in fairness.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Should be held every 4 years like the World Cup and the Euros. Why its held every 2 years is puzzling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

mormank wrote: »
    If African nations were paying their wages I would have no problem with it. I would have the exact same outlook if South America suddenly decided to have an international tournie in April and we had to release players, same for every continent. In short they should move it to suit another continent when that other continent is paying the wages of the player to help their clubs to success. I don't want to get into the merits of international football debate but I wouldn't be surprised to see it scrapped in the future or downgraded to amatuer players or something like that.

That's absolutely crazy logic. By your standards, the Euros should have been moved as LA Galaxy pay Robbie Keane's salary and the Euros were scheduled right in the middle of their season.

Imagine that; a club on another continent trying to dictate the timing of a tournament purely to suit only their own needs and agenda

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Should be held every 4 years like the World Cup and the Euros. Why its held every 2 years is puzzling.

This is a much better and more practical solution for me. We can't just pretend African football does not exist.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

12 of our last 21 league games are at home, and a mad 9 of our next 14. If we can maintain our unbeaten record and cut out a few more of the sloppy goals conceded we are in great shape for a high finish.

Hopefully though we don't end the year the year we started it (well, it was our second home game this year) with a defeat at home to a Manchester club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

niallo27 wrote: »
    This is a much better and more practical solution for me. We can't just pretend African football does not exist.

It's been every 4 years since the 50's and is obviously an important source of income for African associations. Africa is third world, the individual associations don't have the income streams that developed nations do.

What tangible benefit to African football would holding the tournament every four years offer, or are we really suggesting that the grass roots, tradition and progress of the game in the poorest continent in the world should suffer in order to appease the richer European leagues?

I'd guess it is that for European teams (the big ones anyhow) there was always the world cup and Europe had most of the spots in it historically, but Africa had very few teams in it, and even now far less than Europe still, so teams wanted competitive football more regularly. It wasn't a problem for European teams I'd assume until the 90's I'd imagine with very few Africans playing in Europe before then.

I could be talking through my hoop though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

We will do very well to stay within 6 points of Chelsea over the christmas/new year period.
    3 games in 6 says with only under 48 hours to prepare for Sunderland which isn't even a tv game so no need to have it so close. Chelsea have 3 games in 10 days over the same period.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

MD1990 wrote: »
    We will do very well to stay within 6 points of Chelsea over the christmas/new year period.
    3 games in 6 says with only under 48 hours to prepare for Sunderland which isn't even a tv game so no need to have it so close. Chelsea have 3 games in 10 days over the same period.

Chelsea have the most rest in between games over the Christmas period. Liverpool have the joint least rest.

Chelsea have the most rest in between games over the Christmas period. Liverpool have the joint least rest.

Southampton have a day less than us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I find there is no point complaining about the absolute ****ing bastard pro-Russian Oligarch corruption of the game which is designed to stop Liverpool winning the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

LiamoSail wrote: »
    That's absolutely crazy logic. By your standards, the Euros should have been moved as LA Galaxy pay Robbie Keane's salary and the Euros were scheduled right in the middle of their season.

Imagine that; a club on another continent trying to dictate the timing of a tournament purely to suit only their own needs and agenda

Yeah you're probably right tbh. I still stand by what I said about international football being scrapped or at least dramatically changed in my lifetime. At least if I'm wrong on this one I won't be around to hear the "I told you so's" :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

I like the cut of this judge's jib:
    Mr Justice Cross said Ms McGovern had been at the pub with family on Easter Sunday to watch a football match on the TV between Liverpool and Man Utd. She was there "for some inexplicable reason to support Man Utd", he said.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/woman-who-slipped-on-vomit-and-broke-her-ankle-awarded-82k-35309158.html

• Advertisement

LiamoSail wrote: »
    It's been every 4 years since the 50's and is obviously an important source of income for African associations. Africa is third world, the individual associations don't have the income streams that developed nations do.

What tangible benefit to African football would holding the tournament every four years offer, or are we really suggesting that the grass roots, tradition and progress of the game in the poorest continent in the world should suffer in order to appease the richer European leagues?

Its been held every 2 years since the 1960s I think. Has there been any notable advances in African football on the basis of it being held every 2 years as opposed to 4? I don't think there has been tbh. Disgraceful if Cameroon succeed in banning Matip from club football for the duration of the tournament if he doesn't want to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

daithijjj wrote: »
    Not sure its chosen for that reason tbh. It was 42 degrees when i was in South Africa first week of February, couldnt walk barefoot in the sand.

In Gabon it will probably be 15 degrees cooler that time of year. Vast difference in temp dependent on location.

In any case, Mane definitely misses the Manchester United and Swansea games. If Senegal get out of the group he probably misses the Chelsea game also as its 3 days before. Gets to semi's or final he misses the Hull game. Back for Spurs at home on 11th Feb.

It is chosen for that reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

jem wrote: »
    yep
    Have to say Yes :) Started in 1971
    murpho999 wrote: »
    Me too, since 1977 when Utd beat them in the cup final and Liverpool went onto win the European Cup a few days later. Almost did the treble.

A young lady called Maisie Flood put us all to shame last night when she was interviewed on Newstalk, 103 years of age, yes one hundred and three and she is an avid Liverpool supporter and has been since the 1960's. She has met Stevie G and her latest ambitions are to meet John Aldridge and to meet Jurgen Klopp and thank him for what he has already done for Liverpool FC.

We should get some sort of petition going to make this legend of a woman's dream come through

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Extra time in the cup game to see who comes to Anfield between Newport and Plymouth very boring game

Plymouth just missed a pen

Plymouth just scored a pen, 8 mins to go, I wanted a shoot out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

A young lady called Maisie Flood put us all to shame last night when she was interviewed on Newstalk, 103 years of age, yes one hundred and three and she is an avid Liverpool supporter and has been since the 1960's. She has met Stevie G and her latest ambitions are to meet John Aldridge and to meet Jurgen Klopp and thank him for what he has already done for Liverpool FC.

We should get some sort of petition going to make this legend of a woman's dream come through

Sounds like a right glory Hunter, born in 1913 but only supporting the reds since 1960's ;) I bet Harry knows her :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Speak Now wrote: »
    Sounds like a right glory Hunter, born in 1913 but only supporting the reds since 1960's ;) I bet Harry knows her :)

Harry lifted her over the turnstiles for her first game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Speak Now wrote: »

Division 2 in early sixties before Shanks turned it around.

She sang You'll never walk alone as well God love her

On a newstalk Podcast too

http://www.newstalk.com/podcasts/Newstalk_Drive/Henry_McKean_on_Newstalk_Drive/172081/Meet_103_Year_Maisie_Flood_who_is_combating_loneliness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

So Plymouth in the FA cup is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Just on that subject and not to be annoying anyone by discussing a Manc player on here but I still can't work out why he signed that new contract that time when Madrid were trying to sign him and the deal fell through.

Surely it can't have been about money. He'd have gotten plenty of that if he had held on and delayed a decision for another season.
    Seemed really bizarre to me to agree to the move and then sign a new 4 year deal after it fell through. But maybe I missed something at the time?

I think he's the best keeper in the world personally. And he's still very young as keepers go.

Suarez signed a new contract with us in December after he was angling for a move in the previous summer transfer window.

He still left in the next window but with a handy six months of increased pay to his bank account. (He did earn it though!!) :)

Division 2 in early sixties before Shanks turned it around.

She sang You'll never walk alone as well God love her

On a newstalk Podcast too

http://www.newstalk.com/podcasts/Newstalk_Drive/Henry_McKean_on_Newstalk_Drive/172081/Meet_103_Year_Maisie_Flood_who_is_combating_loneliness

You should tweet that to Aldo and try some emotional blackmail on him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

dogbert27 wrote: »
    Suarez signed a new contract with us in December after he was angling for a move in the previous summer transfer window.

He still left in the next window but with a handy six months of increased pay to his bank account. (He did earn it though!!) :)

I'd say there was an agreement there along the lines of give us one more year then you can go to barca and for your troubles have an extra 50k.
    He earned both to be fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

noodler wrote: »
    It is chosen for that reason.

The reasoning behind it is bollocks.

There are weather 'reasons' the whole year round down there. Id be willing to wager the lads in charge dont fancy having a 'holiday in the rain'. Id rather play in a bit of rain than 40+degrees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

daithijjj wrote: »
    The reasoning behind it is bollocks.

There are weather 'reasons' the whole year round down there. Id be willing to wager the lads in charge dont fancy having a 'holiday in the rain'. Id rather play in a bit of rain than 40+degrees.

Its generally a Northern Hemisphere competition, so what you've said makes no sense.
    If the organisers wanted high temperatures to sun themselves then most renewals would be in June/July.
    South Africa is the only regular deep south host, otherwise it tends to flit around the 'rich' northern countries or the football mad central countries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Paul joyce this morning is reporting that we are interested in signing julien draxler in january

ricero wrote: »
    ..............julien draxler in january

Ideal for us in ways as he could play either side in the front 3 and he's only 23.
    He's defo more Mane than 10ish which is good, be great squad addition you'd imagine considering we'll have more games next year.

Is he an improvement on any of our starting 11 right now? I don't think so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Augeo wrote: »
    Ideal for us in ways as he could play either side in the front 3 and he's only 23.
    He's defo more Mane than 10ish which is good, be great squad addition you'd imagine considering we'll have more games next year.

Is he an improvement on any of our starting 11 right now? I don't think so.

Depth is where we are lacking if we look at the last few games before Everton and who we had as options on the bench we were really against it. West Ham in particular was bad and we ended up not making any substitutions in the second half because of it. A better bench and we could have won that game.

As you say there's likely to be more games next season, however I just can't see us not signing an attacker in January. With just Coutinho and Sturridge unavailable we were down to bare bones. So even when everyone's fit we're just a couple of injuries/suspensions away from having no options.

Draxler is an excellent player but would imagine he'd be expensive enough. Someone like that though who isn't a kid but has more than 100 games under his belt would be ideal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Profit in the summer, we should have plenty of money to spend anyway. I'd like Draxler, young but plenty of experience. Eye for goal and he is quick so can cover anywhere across the front 3.

He's meant to be going to PSG so I'd normally say no chance for us, but he's German and Klopp is our manager. I wont file it under BS just yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

And I'd love to see what Klopp could do with Draxler, always felt he should be playing as ST as opposed to AM. Could be like a Lewandowski or Aubemeyang, the guy definitely has the attributes.

8-10 wrote: »
    Depth is where we are lacking............. however I just can't see us not signing an attacker in January. ...............

I'm of the view that we need a couple of signings in Jan with a view to next year (and of course this season too)
    In total I reckon we need 4/5 new players who are good enough to perform at PL and EL (not expecting us to buy 4/5 better than Firmino, Coutinho, Sturridge & Matip etc) level and we can't/shouldn't wait until the summer to bring them in.

I hope there are plans for Jan newcomers :)

Most likely we won't sign anyone in January.
    Very difficult window to get players like Draxler or Pulisic & I don't think we will go for a stop gap signing after Caulker last January who barely played.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Well draxler is definitely leaving anyway in January

Details of our Markovic signing has leaked

http://www.theblacksea.eu/index.php?idT=86&idC=96&idRec=1287

What a disaster of a signing & deal it was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Most likely we won't sign anyone in January.
    Very difficult window to get players like Draxler or Pulisic & I don't think we will go for a stop gap signing after Caulker last January who barely played.

Bizarre to think he has Liverpool on his CV...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Draxler would be an absolutely brilliant signing. I'd be impressed if we could pull it off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Well draxler is definitely leaving anyway in January

Strong rumours this week that he will join PSG.

If it comes down to money, we won't compete with them.

Player has spoken to Bild, said he is in talks with a few clubs. Quotes picked up by everyone since.
    ‘I am in talks with a couple of clubs, but so far no decision has been made,’ Draxler told Bild.
    ‘We will all sit down and make a sensible decision that is suitable for us.’

Can't say I know a huge amount about him outside of using him on FIFA!! Any good?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

We will all sit down and make a sensible decision that is suitable for us

China it is then :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Apparently Draxler has the same agent as Bobby Fir.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Super-Rush wrote: »
    Apparently Draxler has the same agent as Bobby Fir.

So what would he tell him?

Weather sh1te.
    Money's good.
    Support is great.
    Boss is BOSS!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Dickerty wrote: »
    So what would he tell him?

Weather sh1te.
    Money's good.
    Support is great.
    Boss is BOSS!!

X in the City?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

brevity wrote: »
    X in the City?
    Shut down the last time I was there :( Ended up in the one above Woodys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Strong rumours this week that he will join PSG.

If it comes down to money, we won't compete with them.

Player has spoken to Bild, said he is in talks with a few clubs. Quotes picked up by everyone since.

Can't say I know a huge amount about him outside of using him on FIFA!! Any good?

Only know him by reputation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

How reliable is the Draxler stuff?

I'll hold off to see what odds x43r0 is giving on the deal happening before I get excited.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

NukaCola wrote: »
    How reliable is the Draxler stuff?

I'll hold off to see what odds x43r0 is giving on the deal happening before I get excited.....

On the case.....

itMcsy5.gif

Only know him by reputation

Well regarded in Germany....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Details of our Markovic signing has leaked

http://www.theblacksea.eu/index.php?idT=86&idC=96&idRec=1287

What a disaster of a signing & deal it was.

How well researched is that?

'Zahavi has the reputation as one of football's premier superagents, and his clients include Barcelona attacking midfielder Javier Mascherano.'

Oh, I see.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement