Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

YaYa just converted a peno for City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Well, so do I. But there is context to every situation and it doesn't get applied.

If you're off you're nelly pissed as a fart on a motorway doing 140 or you've had a couple of drinks and are stupid enough to head for the city centre doing 50 then they are not the same despite the rule of the law.

Yes you should be punished either way and he was so lets move on.

Hardly crime of the century though.

You can kill (or seriously injure) at 50 and there's more pedestrians around in a city centre.
    You're over the limit, you're over the limit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Bobby F is an idiot, there is no room for discussion about drinking and driving.

The form guide is holding strong today even if Arsenal huffed and puffed.

Meanwhile

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/dec/26/liverpool-lucas-leiva-inter-loan
    Liverpool are prepared to let Lucas Leiva join Internazionale on loan for the rest of the season. The Brazilian has started only three Premier League games this season and made 11 appearances in all competitions.
    Transfer window January 2017: all the latest moves and news – interactive
    Read more

Inter are looking to sign a midfielder in January and have asked Liverpool whether they would consider letting Lucas leave on a short-term basis and have been told that the Merseyside club would not stand in his way should he wish to move to Italy on loan.

Be a bit weird to see him go off on loan in January rather than get a proper send off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I find the whole drink driving thing really easy to deal with, with no grey areas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

A spokesperson for Merseyside Police said: “Merseyside Police has charged a 25-year-old man with drink driving after his car was stopped in Liverpool city centre in the early hours of Saturday, December 24 2016.

“Roberto Firmino, from Liverpool, will appear at Liverpool City Magistrates Court on January 31.”

Well at least the busies have taken him to their hearts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Augeo wrote: »
    https://www.balls.ie/football/liverpool-fans-call-roberto-firmino-dropped-drink-driving-charge/355310

I'm not sure if this lad is being rational or is he a huge Sakho fan and a tad aggrieved...
    " Well this is certainly worse than anything Sakho has ever done so will see if he is treated the same way" Mark Mckeown @Marklfc10Mark

Id have to agree with him to be honest.

A legal performance enhancement vs drink driving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    You can kill (or seriously injure) at 50 and there's more pedestrians around in a city centre.
    You're over the limit, you're over the limit.

Ah sure I must never have said the words "you should be punished either way"

Let's ignore all that and go for the "kill at 50" line.

noodler wrote: »
    Id have to agree with him to be honest.

A legal performance enhancement vs drink driving.

But it was Sakho acting the idiot on tour that was the problem. He was brought along even though he was injured so the performance enhancement stuff was water under the bridge than I would have thought.

Again though, cheers for the input :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,952 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Lucas going out on loan is pointless, no benefit to us bar saving a few quid on wages and it just means we're missing someone who can fill in at midfield and defence when injuries start to build up.

• Advertisement

Lucas going out on loan is pointless, no benefit to us bar saving a few quid on wages and it just means we're missing someone who can fill in at midfield and defence when injuries start to build up.

If Klopp is happy to let him go then I can only assume it's because he is patient and willing to develop the likes of Grujic and Stewart on the job this season rather than reach for an old reliable who will be gone in the summer anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Vital to win the next two games, home games are so important if we are to put a real title challenge together.
    A draw to Stoke a loss to City and that gap will be 11pts to Chelsea, if Chelsea win at home next game.

Ah sure I must never have said the words "you should be punished either way"

Let's ignore all that and go for the "kill at 50" line.

Yeah it's great you said that they should be punished either way but you also starting grading the levels of drunkness behind the wheel and talked about the context.
    There is no context, there is no level of drunkness. Once you're over, you're over and it doesnt matter where you are driving.
    Having 3 pints and driving around a high population density area is as dangerous as driving over the speed limit in the motorway being pissed.
    They're both reckless and a threat to other people's safety.
    And you're 'hardly the crime of the century' bit is a bit crass.
    All I'm saying is, it's stupid and selfish to drink drive. And it surely feels like a horrendous crime to someone affected by it. Now it mightn't be the great train robbery but it's certainly life changing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭price690

Vital to win the next two games, home games are so important if we are to put a real title challenge together.
    A draw to Stoke a loss to City and that gap will be 11pts to Chelsea, if Chelsea win at home next game.

Chelsea ain't going to trip up to the extent we overhaul their lead. No chance.

Vital we keep winning though, a couple of defeats or draws and the teams below us as far down as 5th or 6th will be right on our tails.

I'd gladly take 3rd place and guaranteed champions league football if it was offered now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

What a wan k er

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,644 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Yeah it's great you said that they should be punished either way but you also starting grading the levels of drunkness behind the wheel and talked about the context.
    There is no context, there is no level of drunkness. Once you're over, you're over and it doesnt matter where you are driving.
    Having 3 pints and driving around a high population density area is as dangerous as driving over the speed limit in the motorway being pissed.
    They're both reckless and a threat to other people's safety.
    And you're 'hardly the crime of the century' bit is a bit crass.
    All I'm saying is, it's stupid and selfish to drink drive. And it surely feels like a horrendous crime to someone affected by it. Now it mightn't be the great train robbery but it's certainly life changing.

No no no.

There are different levels of 'drunkenness' as you term it. You can be over the limit with 2 beers, or could have drank a gallon, but they are two different things, and the law treats them differently too.

That said, silly stuff from the lad, especially of the stuff about him snap chatting is true. Has to be more clever than that though, a high profile lad like him is an easy target for a jobsworth peeler looking to make a name for himself.

Either poorly advised or a bit dopey.

• Advertisement

They're both reckless and a threat to other people's safety. .........

Wow

If the law agreed with you court hearings would hardly be required at all for drink driving.

Wow

If the law agreed with you court hearings would hardly be required at all for drink driving.

There are shades of sanction only because of centuries of custom and practice - if we were starting today with a clean slate drinking driving laws would be far tougher than they are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

'Tis great being a Liverpool fan really.
    When the AFCON affects us, it needs to be reorganised.
    When one of our players fall foul of drink driving laws, they're probably not fairly applied in the first place.
    This isn't having a go at anyone by the way, I feel that needs to be pointed out in advance.
    :D

There are shades of sanction only because of centuries of custom and practice - if we were starting today with a clean slate drinking driving laws would be far tougher than they are.

I don't think your centuries theory applies to drink driving in the UK

THE YEAR OF 1967

INTRODUCTION OF THE MAXIMUM LEGAL DRINK DRIVE LIMIT (ROAD SAFETY ACT 1967)

The Road Safety Act of 1967 introduced the first maximum legal blood alcohol (drink driving) limit in the UK. The limit was set at a maximum BAC (blood alcohol concentration) of 80mg of alcohol per 100ml of blood or the equivalent 107 milligrams of alcohol per 100 millilitres of urine. It became an offence to drive, attempt to drive or be in charge of a motor vehicle with a blood alcohol concentration that exceeded the maximum prescribed legal limit.

http://www.drinkdriving.org/drink_driving_information_uklawhistory.php

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Unfortunately Bobby's drink drive is football related as his court appearance is Saturday December 31st the day we play City making him unavailable for selection apparently.

Even if he is available can't see how he would be completely focused on the game.

The clown.

• Advertisement

dogbert27 wrote: »
    Unfortunately Bobby's drink drive is football related as his court appearance is Saturday December 31st the day we play City making him unavailable for selection apparently..........

31st of Jan, Firmino to appear in court on same day as Liverpool v Chelsea

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/dec/26/roberto-firmino-charged-drink-driving-liverpool

I'm thinking the club might make him unavailable to Klopp for a game or three, drink driving is seriously frowned upon so the club might want to give the chap a bit of a spanking themselves. That and a charity donation would do him no harm in court either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Stupid decision by Firmino to get behind the wheel, while being over the limit.

But I couldn't care less, if he scores the winner tomorrow evening and does something similar to this in his goal celebration.

raw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

I'm no lawyer but I personally wouldn't encourage Firmino to play up the old drink driving angle in any celebration to be honest.

I wont judge him too harshly until I know all the facts but needless to say its almost certainly not good. No excuse for anyone to drink drive, surely he could afford a ****ing cab.......something far more serious could have happened......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

31st of Jan, Firmino to appear in court on same day as Liverpool v Chelsea

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/dec/26/roberto-firmino-charged-drink-driving-liverpool

I'm thinking the club might make him unavailable to Klopp for a game or three, drink driving is seriously frowned upon so the club might want to give the chap a bit of a spanking themselves. That and a charity donation would do him no harm in court either.

Firmino is available for tomorrow. Club not saying anything until it goes through the legal system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Has to be more clever than that though, a high profile lad like him is an easy target for a jobsworth peeler looking to make a name for himself.

Wha'?

Firmino is available for tomorrow. Club not saying anything until it goes through the legal system.

I read that too http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/12/26/liverpool-striker-firmino-charged-drink-driving-will-available/

I'd be surprised if he featured tomorrow, time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭ElTel

Don't most of them teeth whitening products contain alcohol (notwithstanding it's Christmas!)
    He'll pass his piss test with flying colours hopefully.....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

I read that too http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/12/26/liverpool-striker-firmino-charged-drink-driving-will-available/

I'd be surprised if he featured tomorrow, time will tell.

He's probably available as our squad is fairly bare bones. You only need to look at the bench the last few weeks to see that.

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭NyOmnishambles

Anyway we need a job for Moreno these days so Firmino's personal driver will do.

Should have kept Alberto :p

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Id be very surprised if firmino didnt start today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Indeed.

Could simply be an error of judgement regarding an extra drink with a meal, I'd be fairly sure that the court proceedings will disclose he was slightly over the limit. Which is still deserving of punishment of course.

He'll probably hire some loophole expert and play the old "too famous for public transport" card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

idiot! there is just no excuse.

not too bothered if he starts today or not he's been fairly poor lately. Sturridge, origi and mane should be more than enough to beat stoke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

rob316 wrote: »
    idiot! there is just no excuse.

not too bothered if he starts today or not he's been fairly poor lately. Sturridge, origi and mane should be more than enough to beat stoke.
    isn't Sturridge still out?

isn't Sturridge still out?

He played last 10/15 mins against Everton and presumably trained since than too.

padd b1975 wrote: »
    He'll probably hire some loophole expert and play the old "too famous for public transport" card.

Can well afford a driver :)

the canteen sounds like a fantastic place, great article.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭RayCon

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

On the Lucas to Inter thing, Liverpool have been linked with a Brazilian forward at the club named Gabriel Barbosa, he's 20 and "the next Neymar" (well of course!) looking at ForzaInter it seems a loan move is being mooted but within Serie A. If he came the other way surely it would be a loan to buy as nothing else would make sense.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,268 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

On the Lucas to Inter thing, Liverpool have been linked with a Brazilian forward at the club named Gabriel Barbosa, he's 20 and "the next Neymar" (well of course!) looking at ForzaInter it seems a loan move is being mooted but within Serie A. If he came the other way surely it would be a loan to buy as nothing else would make sense.

When we deal with a Series A side, deals normally don't make sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Looks like we are being linked to another young Brazilian forward who hasn't settled at Inter.

The last one worked out ok.

As I said a few days ago the last Brazilian kid we got from Inter worked out ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

20yo on his way up for a 30yo on his way down?

I like the way this makes sooo much sense for us.

http://www.transfermarkt.ie/gabriel-barbosa/profil/spieler/244275

And he can play along the frontline and is a left footer which will please some:)

Gabriel Barbosa is awesome in FM 2017.....other than that I dont know anything about him.....

• Advertisement

20yo on his way up for a 30yo on his way down?

I like the way this makes sooo much sense for us.

http://www.transfermarkt.ie/gabriel-barbosa/profil/spieler/244275

And he can play along the frontline and is a left footer which will please some:)

Does it make sense though? He signed for Inter for like 30 million a few months ago, not sure why Inter would sell......not sure if theres much in this particular rumour tbh.

I'd prefer to keep Lucas for the rest of the season rather than lose him but if someone else is coming in and it's what the manager wants then you'd have to trust his judgement.

I have a HUGE amount of respect for Lucas so if it's what he wants too then that's also important.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

I'd prefer to keep Lucas for the rest of the season rather than lose him but if someone else is coming in and it's what the manager wants then you'd have to trust his judgement.

I have a HUGE amount of respect for Lucas so if it's what he wants too then that's also important.

In terms of being fair to Lucas, he had what was, iirc, a very decent deal on the table from Turkey in the summer, which was nixed for the sake of 3 starts since. I think he's been a good enough servant of the club that he shouldn't be held back this time, for the sake of being 4th, maybe 5th, choice centre back.

corwill wrote: »
    I think he's been a good enough servant of the club that he shouldn't be held back this time, for the sake of being 4th, maybe 5th, choice centre back.

Absolutely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Hope ye've had a good Christmas lads. Looking forward to the game today.

Less family, more football. You could argue we're winning already.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement