Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Lallana really has come full circle as a player. Wait , would that not bring him back to where he once was, a man with a fear of ''the box''
    But what ever the case it's great to see him taking the game to opposition,and taking the responsibility to changes games onto his shoulders. He never done that under Rodgers, he was one to hide, the one to make the fancy touch and turn and declare '' my work here is done''

It's ok, he always cruyff turn after coming full circle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SM01

Not Liverpool related.... But if you're quick check out Samir Nasri's Twitter feed now.

@SamNasri19

He appears to have been a naughty boy, someone's gotten hold of his account and is elaborating on the extra-curricular dalliances he got up to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

What will I be like when I'm Harry's age? :pac:

03202014vigo.jpg

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

All the talk of our poor keepers, but at most all they've cost us is 2 points against West ham. No other points dropped could be attributed to goalies this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

I think our midfield has been excellent this season. Possibly best midfield we have had in years since Alonso & Masherano.

Henderson's pace as a DM is also a big help too & his passing has improved this season. Wijnaldum is an rounder & excellent on the ball. Lallana excels in tight spaces in midfield,scores goals & covers incredible distances.

Can offers a more physical presence for duels among his other qualities. We have a great blend in midfield.
    Could do with another signing next season when in Europe & when we have to rotate more.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭MentalMario

5starpool wrote: »
    All the talk of our poor keepers, but at most all they've cost us is 2 points against West ham. No other points dropped could be attributed to goalies this season.

Bournmouth, surely, too?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Both are useless and are a huge issue. Every game this season we have done enough to win. If you have a good keeper it makes the difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

Carra saying we should get Joe Hart is up there at Aldo levels of madness. Keeper situation needs sorting though. Time might be soon for achterberg to be thrown under the bus

Carra saying we should get Joe Hart is up there at Aldo levels of madness. Keeper situation needs sorting though. Time might be soon for achterberg to be thrown under the bus

Hanging around Neville too much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Iker Casilas is a free agent in the summer, we should hold out for him.

All jokes aside.. The Keeper position is a fecker, you just have to look at our own history of keepers in the last 20 years. Its near impossible to find a great one.

Rodgers probably should off held onto Reina but I think Pepe might of been too much of a joker and disruption in training, similar to the Sakho situation with Klopp. (All speculation)

Anyways I can't see any new keeper being brought in anytime soon, so I feel we'll just have to make do with what we've got.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Bournemouth.

Are either good enough for a CL run?
    That's what we need :)

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭augustus gloop

that young full back from Sunderland is a bit green but has the attributes of a Kloop player. Van Arnhold I think. As for a keeper whats out there? A free agent Casilas next year or the impressive but ultimately unproven Pickford?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Leno in Germany seems to be a good goalkeeper... Maybe they would take money + Marius seen as he was good out there.

Sirigiu or trapp for PSG are two decent keepers

But land? When will he be fit again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

People shouldn't listen to him at the best of times but where he's talking about an English player he should definitely be ignored. If we had Hart in goal now making costly mistakes he'd be advocating showing support in him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Just home from work and watching the highlights on Sky Damm I love Bobby's goal off the post across the line and in off the other post is just sexy.

Well, at least a point against Bournemouth too. 3 points across 18 games is significant when chasing a title or top 4. It would be at least 6 points at the end of the season at current rate dropped by mistakes.

A top GK is needed for a title challenge, battering teams week in and week out is unsustainable. You need a keeper to bail you out and currently if you get a decent shot on target against Liverpool theres a good chance its going in. No other points were dropped because we absolutely dominated teams.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

It appears to me that the media have been told to focus on the LFC keepers.
    Karius did make a few blunders, but nothing really horrific.
    As soon as the Stoke goal went in, it was all about Mig.....not about Mane or Clyne (i think it was) not attempting to block that cross. If a ball is flashed across like that and the defender lets Walters win the header, there is no chance for a keeper unless it is straight at them. Mig probably done really well to get something on it to be fair.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    People shouldn't listen to him at the best of times but where he's talking about an English player he should definitely be ignored. If we had Hart in goal now making costly mistakes he'd be advocating showing support in him.
    Both Neville & Carra are very overated pundits.

• Advertisement

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Karius did make a few blunders, but nothing really horrific.

Couldn't agree with this......That Bournemouth spill is as bad as they get IMO, his flapping at crosses were awful, he kicked a ball out for a corner from a goal kick for crying out loud.

Bournmouth, surely, too?

Oh ya. Drink and trauma had blanked that from my mind a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Joe Hart is probably not the answer, but for me is he is definitely an improvement on Mignolet and what we've seen from Karius thus far.

Can't see Liverpool going for him though.

MD1990 wrote: »
    Both Neville & Carra are very overated pundits.

Overrated compared to whom?

They're literally the only two who even attempt to go into detail about what they see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

I find all the Joe Hart stuff a bit strange. Leaving aside any thoughts on whether he is good enough or not, I would have presumed his loan spell to Torino was a season-long one and that, therefore, he wouldn't be available in January?

That's before you even factor in whether City would want to strengthen a side currently ahead of them in the race for the title/top 4...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Your registration can't be held by three different clubs within a single season right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Your registration can't be held by three different clubs within a single season right?

Yeah that's my understanding of it, so if he has played for City and Torino already...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

Rumour mill on Quincy Promes begins.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BOhHuP1ALWe/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Maximum of three afaik, but can only play games for two different teams. So long as he hasn't played any official games for City it would be ok.

• Advertisement

Knex. wrote: »
    Overrated compared to whom?

They're literally the only two who even attempt to go into detail about what they see.
    Can't really compare them to anybody as I don't watch much of the analysis of the Premier League on Sky or BT. But whenever I see Neville or Carra they often just like to blame the non English players & are very harsh on GK's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Glico Man wrote: »
    Maximum of three afaik, but can only play games for two different teams. So long as he hasn't played any official games for City it would be ok.

He played against Steau Bucharest in the 2nd leg of the UCL 3rd round qualifier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,644 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

MD1990 wrote: »
    Can't really compare them to anybody as I don't watch much of the analysis of the Premier League on Sky or BT. But whenever I see Neville or Carra they often just like to blame the non English players & are very harsh on GK's.

Analysis in general is poor, and neville & increasingly carragher fit right in. The 'party line' undermined Karius but as seen yesterday Mignolet is little better. Sly kept repeating the Karius is useless line until it was taken as read. Add to that Neville is always mumbling and it's the mute button for me Jeff.

Good turn around yesterday, only caught highlights but looked in control even when behind, didn't seem to panic. Important game on Saturday, important to get something there, not go ball headed and be patient. Important to keep in touch with Chelsea, a draw wouldn't be a disaster.

Good to see Bobby score yesterday, and Danny too... need them boys firing through January

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Are we not ignoring the fact that Joe Hart has had more meltdowns than mig & Markus together? Am I missing something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Aye, happened with Ben arfa a couple of seasons back and missed half a season so worth of game time iirc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

garra wrote: »
    Are we not ignoring the fact that Joe Hart has had more meltdowns than mig & Markus together? Am I missing something?

Actually I would say this thread seems to mainly focus on how bad Hart is. The thing that seems to be ignored is the fact that he has been the goalkeeper for two Premier League title winning campaigns during which he only conceded 29 and 37 goals. Obviously it's not all down to the goalie but if Liverpool could concede less than 40 in a season, which Hart has consistently done throughout his career, it would make winning the league a lot easier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Milkers wrote: »
    Actually I would say this thread seems to mainly focus on how bad Hart is. The thing that seems to be ignored is the fact that he has been the goalkeeper for two Premier League title winning campaigns during which he only conceded 29 and 37 goals. Obviously it's not all down to the goalie but if Liverpool could concede less than 40 in a season, which Hart has consistently done throughout his career, it would make winning the league a lot easier.

No one questions his CV, but his past comes tinged with periods of serious fallability. It's a quality of all players and goalies that they can display mental fortitude, or bounbebackability when they have a poor game. To go through full melt-down and not recover your form even when given the time and space to do so, is a major red flag imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

No one questions his CV, but his past comes tinged with periods of serious fallability. It's a quality of all players and goalies that they can display mental fortitude, or bounbebackability when they have a poor game. To go through full melt-down and not recover your form even when given the time and space to do so, is a major red flag imo.

All the top keepers make mistakes. De gea often costs goals but he makes up for it 2 or 3 times over. Our keepers just seem to **** up and rarely save us although mig did make a decent stop at 1 nil. Hart was prone to errors but he made some great stops.

Analysis in general is poor, and neville & increasingly carragher fit right in. The 'party line' undermined Karius but as seen yesterday Mignolet is little better. Sly kept repeating the Karius is useless line until it was taken as read. Add to that Neville is always mumbling and it's the mute button for me Jeff.

Good turn around yesterday, only caught highlights but looked in control even when behind, didn't seem to panic. Important game on Saturday, important to get something there, not go ball headed and be patient. Important to keep in touch with Chelsea, a draw wouldn't be a disaster.

Good to see Bobby score yesterday, and Danny too... need them boys firing through January

Karius has been much worse this season than Mignolet in their respective matches. It wasn't a difficult contest to win though so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The obsession with goal keepers must end! Be obsessed with centre backs and defensive midfielders, winger's who don't track back and forwards who are careless with the ball. There are 10 players who's job it is to protect the 11th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

The obsession with goal keepers must end! Be obsessed with centre backs and defensive midfielders, winger's who don't track back and forwards who are careless with the ball. There are 10 players who's job it is to protect the 11th.

Yes, and the 10 seem to fall apart when they don't trust the keeper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

niallo27 wrote: »

All the top keepers make mistakes. De gea often costs goals but he makes up for it 2 or 3 times over. Our keepers just seem to **** up and rarely save us although mig did make a decent stop at 1 nil. Hart was prone to errors but he made some great stops.

His save against Slovenia this year when he tipped onto the bar then palmed away as it came back is one of the best saves I've ever seen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Alonso77

Wasn't Neville obsessed with Migs bent knees standing position and other such banalities a few yrs back?

It's like he picks an obscurity and basks in the glory of barstoolers aping and repeating the same lines for a week or 2 while the rest of us scratch our heads at the absolute broken biscuits that's being spouted.

Mig was poor for the goal. On another day it could have cost us.

He'll never change.

Joe Hart being the answer is hilarious. He's as comical as Mig ffs!

Come on Harry. Our GK's should be held accountable also. Its not an obsession. The biggest contributions our GK's have made this season is picking the ball out of the net. Neither of them have saved us points. Its infuriating when the outfield players are busting their balls and our keepers cant catch the ball or make a decent save.

You cant protect them from everything. Long balls in, freekicks, deep crosses, long range shots, our keepers have ****ed them all up. Its impossible for outfield players to stop every single one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,038 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

NukaCola wrote: »
    Come on Harry. Our GK's should be held accountable also. Its not an obsession. The biggest contributions our GK's have made this season is picking the ball out of the net. Neither of them have saved us points. Its infuriating when the outfield players are busting their balls and our keepers cant catch the ball or make a decent save.

You cant protect them from everything. Long balls in, freekicks, deep crosses, long range shots, our keepers have ****ed them all up. Its impossible for outfield players to stop every single one.

This is kind of the crux of it I think...we play a style with very little defensive redundancy, so one mistake from any outfielder and we're giving away a clear chance. You can get away with that more with a keeper who can pull off bits of magic to deny what you expect will be a goal, but we don't have that.

And likewise, you can get away with a more average keeper if your team has more redundancy covering your defenders, keeping chances to a minimum.

We're in a bit of a no mans land.

Though to be fair, Karius comes out well (and quickly) for 1 on 1's, with a good awareness of where the goal is, to narrow the chances, so maybe that's part of why we moved for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

How can we know that? Mig sticks out a boot and stops Stoke scoring a second, Liverpool win 4-1. It's quite impossible to know if 0-2 would have become 4-2, a 1-2 defeat or a 3-3 draw. This is why I dismiss the worrying about goalkeepers. Their contributions are either wildly over-rated or under-rated and no one can truly measure the value of what they do (or don't do) The game is too volatile and dynamic to turn into pure numbers.

If someone said here's 50m quid I'd spend it anywhere other than a keeper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Glico Man wrote: »
    corwill wrote: »
    He played against Steau Bucharest in the 2nd leg of the UCL 3rd round qualifier.

Just highlights how dumb so much transfer speculation is. Football journalism and punditry truly is the ****ing worst.

The outfield 10 have surrendered as little opportunities to the opposition as nearly any team in Europe.

Our save ratio has been appalling.

This is why I dismiss the worrying about goalkeepers. Their contributions are either wildly over-rated or under-rated and no one can truly measure the value of what they do (or don't do) The game is too volatile and dynamic to turn into pure numbers.

I wouldn't agree. You can see how a team like Spurs have been doing very well with a goalscorer and good goal keeper. They have other qualities but those are the players who can win you games.

A good goal keeper makes us harder to beat IMO. I dont think you can play down a constant performer between the posts as easily as you have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Just to note that Klopp won the Bundesliga with a keeper that the majority of Dortmund fans thought was a weak link in the team.

I'm not saying it's likely with Liverpool but we seem intent on outscoring the opposition as our defensive redundancy as Rebel termed it.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement