Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

MD1990 wrote: »
    It is probably just Chamberlain's agent looking for a a new deal actually.
    Don't see any Liverpool Journo's linking us to Chamberlain just the London one's.

Must have the same agent as Walcott and a contract up for a renewal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Ben Gadot wrote: »
    Must have the same agent as Walcott and a contract up for a renewal.
    Yeah, contract renewal was the first thought that came into my head when I saw the link.

Well, that and click-bait.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I don't think we're going to sign him, but if Klopp thinks that he wants him I'm certainly prepared to back him until we've seen proof otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

The window opens in a couple of days and we're going to get linked to dozens of players. Most if not all of the links will be arse so I've stopped getting either excited or disappointed with players we're linked with. When there's a picture of them at Melwood we can talk.

I'm not saying don't talk about it btw,before I get accused of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Gaillimh1976

. When there's a picture of them leaning at Melwood we can talk.

fyp

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

I remember Oxlade Chamberlain saying at the start of the season that he would consider his future at the end of the season if he wasn't getting more game time. He's been rotated a lot this season due to form and injury. I don't really know what to make of Chamberlain can be brilliant one week and then garbage the next, plus he has picked up a lot of injuries although he wouldn't have been the only one to at Arsenal. He's having a decent start to the season in fairness though.

I couldn't see him moving in January though, would be at the end of the season. I did hear somewhere that Liverpool were interested in Gibbs? Could be some truth in that seeing how Milner plays left back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Rather than what people want to see in January, what do ye expect to see?

I reckon we won't buy or sell anyone for this season. Might secure one or two young players or out-of-contract players for the summer, but I reckon this is our lot.

I think we're short in a few positions - we've a very small squad and a handful of injuries could be really problematic I think, so I wouldn't mind adding an extra defender (ideally someone versatile that could play at both full back positions), maybe an extra CM and a winger/attacker, but I don't see any of it happening tbh!!

I also don't think I'll lose any sleep if we don't make a few moves - as we've seen with previous windows, it's tough to find the right players so we might look inwards instead. In fact, the only thing that might make worry a little is if we sell one or two players. If Sakho and Lucas went, for e.g., we'd surely have to sign someone.

Beyond that, I'm hoping that Kevin Stewart, Trent Alexander-Arnold and Ben Woodburn see some more action before the end of the season. And maybe Joe Gomez might make his comeback too?

EDIT: And if we have our position sorted by the last game of the season, I want Manninger to start...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Would Ox get in ahead of Mane, Coutinho, Lallana, Firmino, Origi and Sturridge?

I don't see him getting in ahead of the first 4 that means he would be a squad player competing for a place on the bench with the last two so would he really move from one team where he is a squad player to another the team where he would be a squad player I don't think he would myself.

In CM we have Can on the bench currently and Grujic presumably will get cup games so we mightn't be too bad in that area. Stewart too.

Need a squad CB, Matip, Lovren, Klavan & Gomez probably fine once Matip is fit but its patchy otherwise especially if (fairly sure we will) be in Europe.

Milner is 33 now I think so LB does of course need looking at too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Augeo wrote: »
    Milner is 33 now I think so LB does of course need looking at too.

Pretty sure he's just 30

• Advertisement

The Times reporting Matip will miss the City game.

Yawns wrote: »
    Pretty sure he's just 30

Oops & wow

That's brilliant so, can't fault him at wing back really. he has been excellent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Klopp explodes at obsession with transfer window!

No shock but Coutinho no go for City and Sunderland.

I came across this map of Liverpools positioning and passes during the Stoke game.

https://twitter.com/11tegen11/status/814153088613355528

I was surprised by how little Lallana featured during the game and how close Firmino and Origis positioning was during the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

Rather than what people want to see in January, what do ye expect to see?

I would expect to see Sakho to get his loan move. I think Swansea or Crystal Palace could come in for him. They're both scoring plenty of goals but lack someone at the back who can lead and organise.

Lucas, I would be surprised to see that Inter move happen - he'll get games in Jan/Feb with the FA Cup and League Cup semi-final 2 legs. He's well-liked within the squad and part of the Brazilian crew - I do think that Klopp sees that and understands the importance of squad morale.

Incoming - so hard to make a call on this one! Last year they were quite willing to lay down £25-£30m for Alex Teixeira before China gazumped them. In the end we got Caulker on loan, and made a downpayment on Grujic. I think they will pick someone up who can play wide on either wing as we lack that bit of depth for those positions.

I feel it would be such a shame if we finish 2nd or 5th by 1-2pts and we look back on a January window where we bought nobody and have a net spend of zero. I know Klopp doesn't think like fans do - but I can't help but worry it'll bite us in the arse if we don't buy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Is Aidy Ward Oxlade-Chamberlain's agent?

Easy to see where this rumour started, and why.

Transfer gossip is as bad as the Macedonian teenagers making up fake news during the US election. Newspapers and websites make money by putting out stories that they know have nothing behind it - I'm convinced of it. Should not be allowed.

The weight of passing to and from Lallana is interesting given how busy he was in the game. You'd think he was a passenger on that graphic.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Would Ox get in ahead of Mane, Coutinho, Lallana, Firmino, Origi and Sturridge?

I don't see him getting in ahead of the first 4 that means he would be a squad player competing for a place on the bench with the last two so would he really move from one team where he is a squad player to another the team where he would be a squad player I don't think he would myself.

He will be off to Madrid or Barcelona in the summer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Seems pointless to guess what players will come in under Klopp. The signings we made in the summer were not products of long running speculation (Matip excluded I guess) the previous season, they did not seem massively exciting and yet they have mostly done quite well thus far.

I trust him to advocate successfully for the players he wants and for his signings to be based on perceived suitability for his system.

I was excited by both the mane and Gini signings. Just because you and other fans chose to be negative as usual doesn't mean they weren't exciting signings.

He will be off to Madrid or Barcelona in the summer

No he won't. Liverpool are going to be in the CL next season and that will be his showcase for transferring to Barca in 2018!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

No he won't. Liverpool are going to be in the CL next season and that will be his showcase for transferring to Barca in 2018!

CL Qualifiers probably!

Seriously, **** off!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,981 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I think the Quincy Promes rumours might be legit because he can play in the three attacking mid/forward roles which is really what Liverpool want right now from an attacking standpoint.

Also if anybody is going to be going to one of the big two in Spain I'd bet on it being Mane and not Coutinho so Promes preferred position is right side forward/winger and he'd have six months in the system by the time Mane leaves if that does happen.

I don't expect Liverpool to be a selling club though under Klopp. They are building something big there and something that will last for quite some time by the looks of things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Tbf its not as if we need the money considering how little we've spent compared to how much weve taken in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,952 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Do we have any sort of information on Matip's injury? Seems we were just told a few weeks ago that he'll miss the next game with a knock, and now we're being told the same thing every week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Pickford is out of the Sunderland squad for the next 6 weeks with a knee injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

eagle eye wrote: »

I don't expect Liverpool to be a selling club though under Klopp. They are building something big there and something that will last for quite some time by the looks of things.

You could argue that at the height of their power Dortmund remained a selling club when the price was right and I suspect under current owners we will be the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Nice to see Phil Scraton turn down an OBE from the same British establishment who failed to review the Hillsborough Tragedy thoroughly and independently.

• Advertisement

Liverpool have so much more money than Dortmund and this is 2014/15 - pretty sure the gap has grown since
    9 Liverpool 391.8 England 9 —
    10 Juventus 323.9 Italy 10 —
    11 Borussia Dortmund 280.6 Germany 11 —

Do we have any sort of information on Matip's injury? Seems we were just told a few weeks ago that he'll miss the next game with a knock, and now we're being told the same thing every week.

It's the one he had when he signed I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,670 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Out of interest, what would be the price on Coutinho if he did leave?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

50-80?

Forza Inter have just reopened the Lucas Levia transfer thread after a year closed - he must be off!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

klose wrote: »
    I read a table in the arsenal thread ox has 6 goals and 6 assists this season(2 and 4 in the league) not sure what to make of it really, wasnt he always touted as a centre mid but forced out wide?

How did you find that

kevthegaff wrote: »
    50-80m?
    Nice try Kev but I added the m for you anyway:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

sword1 wrote: »
    How did you find that

Check the last couple of pages there, one of the posters there keeps track of all goals and assists for all Arsenal players. Anyways klopp outright called it a nonsense rumour in the presser today so that's the end of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

klose wrote: »
    Check the last couple of pages there, one of the posters there keeps track of all goals and assists for all Arsenal players. Anyways klopp outright called it a nonsense rumour in the presser today so that's the end of that.

Thanks for the reply but the comment was tongue in cheek as i think they are like spurs hidden in some unknown place i.e.not in the football forum but maybe i am wrong i am wrong, just checked, not going there either way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

sword1 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply but the comment was tongue in cheek as i think they are like spurs hidden in some unknown place i.e.not in the football forum but maybe i am wrong i am wrong, just checked, not going there either way

It's great fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Spurs would get a world record fee for Coutinho, he is that good. It should be a recording breaking price for him to leave. Pogba cost 93m , eh he's more devastating that he will ever be .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Spurs would get a world record fee for Coutinho, he is that good. It should be a recording breaking price for him to leave. Pogba cost 93m , eh he's more devastating that he will ever be .

Spurs?? Coutinho? :confused:

I'm guessing he means if Coutinho was a Spurs player and Barca or Madrid came in for the Levy would screw them over for a world record fee where as by our history we would let him go on the cheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

I'm guessing he means if Coutinho was a Spurs player and Barca or Madrid came in for the Levy would screw them over for a world record fee where as by our history we would let him go on the cheap.

I haven't seen us selling on the cheap under Klopp. If anything we've improved tenfold in that regard.

He played a blinder with Benteke just for example and made it public that we would keep him rather than let him go for a fee we weren't happy with.

Anyhow.... Nevermind any hypothetical fee for Coutinho. Nab top-4 and he stays. Not something to be concerning ourselves with at the mo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Every player has a price. If he went I wouldn't really care.

I haven't cared since Nando.

Damn you, you magnificent bastard.

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Every player has a price. If he went I wouldn't really care.

I haven't cared since Nando.

Damn you, you magnificent bastard.

Oh your just a kid :D

I have felt that way since Souness and Rush left in the 80's :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

No way were we ever signing Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain. It would only have gotten Trent Alexander-Arnolds nose out of joint. Only room for one posh boy at the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

I suppose he'd be handy to take a red card for Matip, Clyne, Wijnaldum, Mane, or Origi. Doesn't offer anything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

mormank wrote: »
    I was excited by both the mane and Gini signings. Just because you and other fans chose to be negative as usual doesn't mean they weren't exciting signings.

You need to let go of the hate in your heart. If we're still in this thing with a shot at the league late in the season I'll be in feedback advocating for ye when ye lose the run of yourselves; I'll be starting the match threads and taking the flak from Utd fans, etc.

I'm not negative or positive - just objective tbh.

Levy realised something a while ago that many teams should learn:

1) There is no mutual benefit to playing ball with Barca / Real. Piss them off. Annoy them. Because you'll never be buying something off them that is anywhere near the same importance. As such, there is no benefit in cultivating a good relationship with them

2) There is no benefit to letting a player under a long term contract go right when they want to. Delay them a year. Piss them off. Annoy them. Because if they're the real deal they'll produce for another year before leaving for a fee enhancement in excess of the wages you pay them for that additional year

If Coutinho keeps developing the way he has we won't keep him his entire career. But we should be aiming to keep him a little longer than he'd prefer. It's our right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    You need to let go of the hate in your heart. If we're still in this thing with a shot at the league late in the season I'll be in feedback advocating for ye when ye lose the run of yourselves; I'll be starting the match threads and taking the flak from Utd fans, etc.

I'm not negative or positive - just objective tbh.

Ha, I'll never let go of the hate in my heart! It's not football related tho. Anyway your allowed your opinion naturally but your opinion on those two signings were wrong. Just because you use the word objective doesn't make it right. You might say you aren't negative but let's just say when you are wrong about things it's usually that you have underestimated something, rarely if ever the other way around. :o

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement