Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

I'm guessing he means if Coutinho was a Spurs player and Barca or Madrid came in for the Levy would screw them over for a world record fee where as by our history we would let him go on the cheap.

April fools already???

Come on now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

April fools already???

Come on now
    tumblr_o47tpkNijA1vnt53uo1_400.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Does de Gea pull away from the ball when it nearly hits his face?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Coutinho is class but he wont be sold, and if he did he'd go for mega money but it wouldn't be for a record fee.

Not many clubs are as stupid as the Manchester clubs are when it comes to throwing around money you have to remember. He'd probably go for half of what Pogba went for, which shows you how awful that deal was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

• Advertisement

NukaCola wrote: »
    Coutinho is class but he wont be sold...........

I can see Spain appealing to him, playing with Messi, Suarez & Co, payrise, nice weather, practically guaranteed CL every year. If Coutinho really wants to go (I have no inclination at all that he does) he'll go, maybe not this season of course.

CL football every year for an English team going forward would be a significant achievement. The big clubs in Spain are far more likely to qualify every year.

Chelsea, Man City, LFC, Man Utd, Arsenal & Spurs not to mention anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭DaveSuarez

If Coutinho ever does ask to leave tell him China or nowhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Lovely little compilation of the best games of 2016

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Augeo wrote: »
    I can see Spain appealing to him, playing with Messi, Suarez & Co, payrise, nice weather, practically guaranteed CL every year. If Coutinho really wants to go (I have no inclination at all that he does) he'll go, maybe not this season of course.

I wish people would stop talking about this crap. Becomes like a self fulfilling prophecy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

J Mysterio wrote: »
    I wish people would stop talking about this crap. Becomes like a self fulfilling prophecy.

I don't see your problem with it. He's absolutely right. Coutinho will leave in the next 2-3 years and Spain is a natural move for him.
    Just don't get the self-fulfilling prophecy bit at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Daddy wouldnt be happy!!
    Leicester City manager Claudio Ranieri says Kasper Schmeichel will not be sold next month following reports linking the 30-year-old Denmark goalkeeper with a move to Liverpool in January

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/gossip?ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbc_match_of_the_day&ns_source=facebook&ns_linkname=sport

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The rehabilitation of Sheyi Ojo continues with almost another 90 and a goal under his belt in friendly against Wigan (not sure if it was seniors or juniors), Harry Wilson scored and Toni Gomez got two in a 4-4 thriller (presumably). Hopefully a good few of the U23s will be playing Plymouth next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    1) There is no mutual benefit to playing ball with Barca / Real. Piss them off. Annoy them. Because you'll never be buying something off them that is anywhere near the same importance. As such, there is no benefit in cultivating a good relationship with them

Not sure this is true at all Lloyd - I'd have thought those two were the prime example of clubs who willingly sell players at the top of their game, in order to sign the newer shinier toy.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

from the F365 Mailbox. Think its hilarious and kinda accurate:
    Sustained by salty Mancunian tears
    Ah, you can just tell when Liverpool are doing well can’t you? They say the league table never lies, but I find the F365 mailbox is a far better barometer for judging how well teams are doing, especially when Liverpool are outperforming Man United. Reading some of them recently I could’ve sworn there were watermarks on my laptop screen from the Mancunian tears that were clearly shed at the time of writing.

First up we had a guy emailing in last week with a detailed points-per-game breakdown of Klopp’s first games at Liverpool vs Mourinho’s first games at United. Apparently, this was to show how similar they were. Just make sure you gloss over the part about Klopp being new to the league, not having a pre-season with the players, and not spending anything in his first season compared to the near £150m Mourinho spent in the summer (plus the deal to pay Ibrahimovic £1m a month in wages).

This idea that Klopp and Mourinho are actually really similar seems to be a current theme amongst United fans. Another was at pains to point out that that if we take a proper look at them at this moment in time, the only real difference is that Klopp ‘smiles more’. I almost agreed but those pesky things like their attitude to transfers, playing style, ability to motivate players, trust in youth players, graciousness in defeat, and league position kept getting in the way.

Then we had the usual ‘Liverpool fans get too giddy’ when their team is doing well. Imagine that! Fans being happy when the team they support wins games. This was in the same week that the Manchester Evening News genuinely ran an article about how United fans sang really loudly away at Crystal Palace. Apparently, the volume of their fans showed they ‘didnt need a megaphone’ as they won the game and took a grip on that coveted sixth place. ‘We won the singing’ you could say.

Now, I thought the line ‘Lallana, Mane, Coutinho, and Firminho all look good at Liverpool, but take them out and they will struggle badly’ was pretty funny, until I read that ‘Lallana doesn’t start at either Chelsea, United, City and Arsenal, but he looks a hell of a player at Liverpool’. At this point, the tears were mine, but of wholehearted laughter rather than bitterness and anger. But then again, maybe it’s a fair point that needs further discussion. I mean, would there really be space for the likes of Lallana or Mane when you already have Jesse Lingahahahahaha. I’m sorry, I just can’t finish that sentence.

As with all stages of grieving, a lot of people are now entering the denial phase. This Liverpool side aren’t actually any good. The players are average. It seems like rather than agree with the neutrals that Liverpools four-pronged attack is excellent, their midfield solid, and their defence improving, it’s easier to believe that the whole thing is down to some sort of mythical magic spell that Jurgen Klopp has cast over the club.

I saw one guy declaring that the reason Liverpool are currently second is because of ‘trust’. I’m assuming when he says trust he means it as in ‘we trust each other to rip apart nearly every team in the league and play exhilarating football’, rather than ‘Portugese manager of Premier League club uses overseas trust fund to avoid paying tax’ (allegedly).

Finally, a special shout-out to Richard, Manchester, who is having such difficulty accepting Liverpool’s and United’s current league positions that he suggested it’s a media conspiracy and followed it up with a Hillsborough jibe. Bravo mate, you’re a credit to your fellow supporters. I’ll be really disappointed if I dont get a reply telling me I’m too sensitive, offended by everything and ashamed of nothing, and how I’m always the victim and it’s never my fault.

Happy Mou Year lol
    Smith

BMMachine wrote: »
    from the F365 Mailbox. Think its hilarious and kinda accurate:

We are over achieving supposedly.

Not better, just over achieving.

J Mysterio wrote: »

Apologies.
    Nothing I said was anyway prophetic and I did mention that I had no idea if Phil wanted to go, merely that if he wants out he'll leave :)

Is there any other crap you'd like people to stop talking about? I won't make any promises but I'll give your suggestions the consideration they warrant :) That's the best I can do, I do hope that's ok with your good self.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    We are over achieving supposedly.

Not better, just over achieving.

If you turn their losses and draws into wins and our wins into losses and draws they'd be ahead of us. Can't argue with those facts.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    If you turn their losses and draws into wins and our wins into losses and draws they'd be ahead of us. Can't argue with those facts.

If we score more than City tomorrow we will win the game.

So I heard anyway.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    If we score more than City tomorrow we will win the game.

So I heard anyway.

You forgot the denominator and to carry the 1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

8-10 wrote: »
    Does de Gea pull away from the ball when it nearly hits his face?

To be fair, he knew he had been outdone by a bit of genius and just wanted to get a really good view of it hitting the back of the net.

It's like in CSI when they show you the same event happening from differing points of view and he just wanted to see it hit the net from the keeper's point of view.
    So he arched the neck back to watch the net ripple.

Best view in the ground that day. Jealous as fook myself. I had to watch it on tv.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Turtyturd wrote: »

You always make me laugh kid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Buzzin for this game. Its the first game with the old man in 6 years. The yanks won't know whats gonna hit them in the morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Super-Rush wrote: »
    Buzzin for this game. Its the first game with the old man in 6 years. The yanks won't know whats gonna hit them in the morning.

Hope you meet someone like Arnaud again... great story :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Glico Man wrote: »
    Hope you meet someone like Arnaud again... great story :p

If i was to tell you i was on the beer all evening with dad and my step brother who i only met yesterday and there was a Smith and Wesson gun produced, would you believe me?

Scariest moment of my life.

Super-Rush wrote: »
    If i was to tell you i was on the beer all evening with dad and my step brother who i only met yesterday and there was a Smith and Wesson gun produced, would you believe me?

Scariest moment of my life.

Ah here, tell us more!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

http://www.football365.com/news/carra-only-coutinho-makes-combined-liverpool-xi

Interesting one from Carragher here comparing the 08/09, 13/14 and current sides. Said that only Coutinho stands out as a star, showing off just how good Klopp has made the team as a whole.

Looking at those sides (F365 have our most played from each season in the article), you'd definitely have Clyne and Milner in, probably Lallana too, but his point does stick - this group is such a strong unit that we've amassed more points and goals than we did with sides that had real superstars in them. It's crazy.

But to combine the lot, I'd go for...

Reina, Clyne, Matip, Carragher, Milner, Alonso, Mascherano, Lallana, Gerrard, Coutinho, Suarez...

I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

niallo27 wrote: »
    You always make me laugh kid.

Tis the 'jokes' old boy :).

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Reina, Clyne, Matip, Carragher, Milner, Alonso, Mascherano, Lallana, Gerrard, Coutinho, Suarez...

I think.

It be a 4-3-3 for me and Mascherano out and Torres in. That front six would definitely out score any team.

• Advertisement

Gerrard? No Way. Quarter-back and peno taker. Klopp wouldn't stand for that.

Reina,
    Clyne, Matip, Carra, Milner,
    Masch,
    Alonso-Lallana,
    Firmino--Suarez-Coutinho

Interesting one from Carragher here comparing the 08/09, 13/14 and current sides. Said that only Coutinho stands out as a star, showing off just how good Klopp has made the team as a whole.

Looking at those sides (F365 have our most played from each season in the article), you'd definitely have Clyne and Milner in, probably Lallana too, but his point does stick - this group is such a strong unit that we've amassed more points and goals than we did with sides that had real superstars in them. It's crazy.

I think.

I wouldn't say Id definitely have Clyne over Arbeloa, a fit Aurelio was also very good so I wouldn't say I'd definitely have Milner either. I think a lot of the players are like that too, you could easily go for one over the other.

You'd have to include Reina, Gerrard, Alonso, Masherano, Suarez and Torres I think. The other positions are toss ups IMO.

The most important thing to remember tough is none of them would get into any United team.

Reina,
    Masch,
    Alonso-Lallana,
    Firmino--Suarez-Coutinho

Gerrard in 08/09 was incredible

Interesting one from Carragher here comparing the 08/09, 13/14 and current sides.

He mentions "the genuine title challenge of 2008/09 under Rafa"

Was he not reading boards.ie a couple of weeks ago when this was completely disproven as a title challenge? Keep up Carra! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I wouldn't say Id definitely have Clyne over Arbeloa, a fit Aurelio was also very good so I wouldn't say I'd definitely have Milner either. I think a lot of the players are like that too, you could easily go for one over the other.

You'd have to include Reina, Gerrard, Alonso, Masherano, Suarez and Torres I think. The other positions are toss ups IMO.

The most important thing to remember tough is none of them would get into any United team.
    Maybe we should do up a combined 11?:pac:

:D I like it!

• Advertisement

Gerrard in 08/09 was incredible

08/09? :o Still I think my points stands about a better team - I think I'd have Masch as the spoiler and Firmino and Lallana's close control and vision in a tight spot over "blockbuster" shots from 35 yards away! ;)

Silly topic.....

Coutinho has won best Brazilian in Europe award - yay! That'll add another 10m to the transfer fee.

Who would manage the team though.

Benitez, Klopp or Rodgers(/Suarez :p)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

A triumvirate? Worked well for the Romans.

The goals from U23 v Wigan - four fine goals scored (esp the jinking run from Gomez), four awful goals conceded - the entire back line is asleep

https://vid.me/3PQj

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Benoppers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

08/09? :o Still I think my points stands about a better team - I think I'd have Masch as the spoiler and Firmino and Lallana's close control and vision in a tight spot over "blockbuster" shots from 35 yards away! ;)

Silly topic.....

Apologies if I'm picking this up wrong but are you saying you'd rather have Firmino or Lallana in a Liverpool team ahead of a 2008/9 Gerrard?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

Reina,
    Masch,
    Alonso-Lallana,
    Firmino--Suarez-Coutinho
    Crazy talk. Alonso, Gerrard & Mascherano were the best midfield trio in Europe. Torres would also have to feature, he scored over 30 goals in his first 50 games for the club and tied plenty of defenders in knots.
    Reina

Clyne   Matip  Carragher  Milner

Mascherano 
        Alonso      Gerrard

Torres    Suarez    Coutinho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

Silly topic.....

Coutinho has won best Brazilian in Europe award - yay! That'll add another 10m to the transfer fee.

I had a really long post almost ready to post advocating the inclusion of Gerrard in such a team, it was so long in fact that I had time to think more on the subject as I was typing and I realised two things.
    The first one being that it is so difficult to compartmentalize Gerrard of 08/09 from the legend we know and love. I for one off the top of my head can't remember his stats for that season. The second thing I realised is that I really couldn't give a flying fook!!! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Talisman wrote: »
    Crazy talk. Alonso, Gerrard & Mascherano were the best midfield trio in Europe. Torres would also have to feature, he scored over 30 goals in his first 50 games for the club and tied plenty of defenders in knots.
    Reina

Clyne   Matip  Carragher  Milner

Mascherano 
        Alonso      Gerrard

Torres    Suarez    Coutinho

Isn't it amazing what people convince themselves of?!?!

To exclude Mascherano, Torries or Gerrard is absolutely ridiculous.

kfallon wrote: »
    Apologies if I'm picking this up wrong but are you saying you'd rather have Firmino or Lallana in a Liverpool team ahead of a 2008/9 Gerrard?

Yes - I'm being that contrary! I never rated Gerrard as highly as most club fans. I tended to see how he unbalanced the team rather than adding cohesion to it (his best season for me was playing wide in 2005-6 when on the right he stayed out of the way of Hamman/Alonso/Sissoko but was a very effective goal scorer/assister). I love "clever" players and Gerrard for all his instinctive quality was not in that category.

mormank wrote: »
    I for one off the top of my head can't remember his stats for that season

24 goals 13 assists in 44 games 08/09.....Huge contribution.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Yes - I'm being that contrary! I never rated Gerrard as highly as most club fans. I tended to see how he unbalanced the team rather than adding cohesion to it (his best season for me was playing wide in 2005-6 when on the right he stayed out of the way of Hamman/Alonso/Sissoko but was a very effective goal scorer/assister). I love "clever" players and Gerrard for all his instinctive quality was not in that category.

You are correct. I would have always felt the same way about him. How Rafa utilised him is a major contributing factor in why I regard Rafa so highly.

There is still no one that comes near him though and he shouldn't be excluded.

24 goals 13 assists in 44 games 08/09.....Huge contribution.....

Well my gut instinct was right then, he walks into that theoretical team.

You are correct. I would have always felt the same way about him. How Rafa utilised him is a major contributing factor in why I regard Rafa so highly.

There is still no one that comes near him though and he shouldn't be excluded.

I think in alot of ways this was down to the era he mostly played in and the tactics deployed by most managers at the time which was 4-4-2 or 5-3-2 basically. Around the time Rafa was employed alot of PL managers were still clinging onto those formations and Gerrard himself came through with that formation and ended up specializing in a roll that he arguable never had the discipline for.

My point is that had Gerrard arrived ten years later when 4-2-3-1 became popular he would have played in the 3 behind the striker and not in the midfield 2 and his career stats would have been phenomenal imo. Having said all that I would have to agree with the sentiment regarding the unbalance he often brought to the teams he played in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

He isn't really my type of player either but on individual talent has to be there.

I'd prefer Coutinho, Sturridge and Suarez up front as a trio, good as Torres was.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement