Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

And super sub Yossi Benayoun

kfallon wrote: »
    Apologies if I'm picking this up wrong but are you saying you'd rather have Firmino or Lallana in a Liverpool team ahead of a 2008/9 Gerrard?
    Yes - I'm being that contrary! I never rated Gerrard as highly as most club fans. I tended to see how he unbalanced the team rather than adding cohesion to it (his best season for me was playing wide in 2005-6 when on the right he stayed out of the way of Hamman/Alonso/Sissoko but was a very effective goal scorer/assister). I love "clever" players and Gerrard for all his instinctive quality was not in that category.

When we see what Lallana and Firmino do in the CL under Klopp we'll have more to go on IMO :)

Gerrard brought lots to the team, he did unbalance it at times of course but the unbalance wasn't without benefits.

The chap played at a high level in so many positions, a remarkable player. Out wide, behind the striker, deep lying CM - incredible really.

He left at the right time but his accomplishments and contribution to the club were immense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I find it hard to believe that anyone would leave Gerrard out of that.

I knew Harry wasn't his biggest fan but I thought it was just towards the end of Gerrard's Liverpool career.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

Have to say i can not see how you could rate firmino above Gerard in his prime ,of our current attacking 4 midfielder i would rate coutiniho, lallana and mane above firmino

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Yes - I'm being that contrary! I never rated Gerrard as highly as most club fans. I tended to see how he unbalanced the team rather than adding cohesion to it (his best season for me was playing wide in 2005-6 when on the right he stayed out of the way of Hamman/Alonso/Sissoko but was a very effective goal scorer/assister). I love "clever" players and Gerrard for all his instinctive quality was not in that category.

There will always be a place for players of Gerrards qualities in the PL. Maybe he never fitted into the category of clever types of possession based technical players like Coutinho, but you need that balance between "clever" and "pragmatic" too.
    For instance in the current setup Mane is not particularly clever in possession, but he brings other physical attributes that benefit the side. An 08/09 Gerrard easily displaces Mane on the right side of front 3 imo, or Wijnaldum/Lallana. It's also disrespectful to claim that Gerrard's long range distribution was in any way less clever than the movement and patterns of today's team. If you can create a chance by finding a rampaging Torres or Saurez with a 40 yard 4 iron pass, it can be the most beautiful sight in the world.
    The team ethic and the synchronicity of the movement of the current team in possession or pressing is a amazing to behold, but to claim that 08/09 Gerrard could not be influenced by current day Klopp to fit into that system is just plain wrong. Gerrard did have a high opinion of himself but to say he was not adaptable or clever enough for Klopp is nuts. I would love to have seen Klopp manage Gerrard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

________Torres________

__Sterling__Firmino_Kuyt

______ _Mash_____

Lucas_________Gerrard

_______Alonso______

Sturridge_Suarez_Coutinho__

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Lads, Gerrard is one of the greatest players in Liverpool's history. To say otherwise is factually wrong.

Peak Gerrard gets into pretty much every side in Liverpool's history. Put him in even right back if you have to, he still makes the team.

I'll never understand the Gerrard resentment from some. He made us relevant for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭jeff bingham

Gerrard makes that team in about 4 or 5 positions imo

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭MentalMario

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Every player has a price. If he went I wouldn't really care.

I haven't cared since Nando.

Damn you, you magnificent bastard.

El Nino is like your first love. They'll always be feelings there somewhere.

The best player I've ever seen play for Liverpool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,614 ✭✭✭Damien360

Knex. wrote: »
    Lads, Gerrard is one of the greatest players in Liverpool's history. To say otherwise is factually wrong.

Peak Gerrard gets into pretty much every side in Liverpool's history. Put him in even right back if you have to, he still makes the team.

I'll never understand the Gerrard resentment from some. He made us relevant for years.

True. Some of that feeling against him probably comes from his last season with us. I think he stayed one season too many. Other than that, I can't fault what you say at all.

People not picking Torres in that combined team. Seriously? What the actual fcuk. I think you're forgetting just how amazing that man was.

Reina,

Clyde, Carra, Agger, Aurelio

Alonso, Masch
    Gerrard

Suarez, Torres, Sturridge

I just gave myself a Christmas boner. What a front 6.

Coutiniho misses out. As good as he is, he doesn't get in that front 3 or midfield. Lallana probably first sub on too so Coutiniho would get very few minutes.

I'm putting this out there as Rafas biggest mistake. Selling Robbie Keane in January lost us the league. Fhacht

^^^^ conversation starter :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,929 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Combined 11's the greatest single gift to football forums.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Knex. wrote: »

Ahead of Phil Neal?

You've been inhaling over in the Arsenal thread again.:pac:

It looks like Liverpool have hired ex head physio Dave Galley to go to the ACN with Mane to keep him in peak health.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/sport/liverpool-hire-physio-to-track-mane-3llm6mwp9

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Sunderland may have a job filling out a match day squad, they have lost another player in the first half today - Kone, while Anichebe was limping at the end of the first 45

Sunderland may have a job filling out a match day squad, they have lost another player in the first half today - Kone, while Anichebe was limping at the end of the first 45

If it's a week or two injury it's great news for Sunderland. He missed the AFCON and they get him back earlier than expected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,952 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Kone is off to AFCON anyway so they've been ready for him to leave either way.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

If it's a week or two injury it's great news for Sunderland. He missed the AFCON and they get him back earlier than expected.

It's only Monday we're concerned about anyhow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Come on the Potters!

• Advertisement

Jinx reverse jinx no one talk about jinxs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

______________Reina______________

________Carragher - Hyppia________
    Finnan______________________Milner

_____________Alonso______________

____________________Hamann______
    _______Gerrard____________________
    ________________________Coutinho_
    __Suarez______Torres____________

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

No way Stoke will hold out against Chelsea. Very bad defence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

It pains me to put Torres in best XI's to be honest. A little part of me still resents him.

I was glad he sucked at Chelsea. He was horrible for them.

I was happy for him though when he went back to end his career with Athletico. Made me feel better about him for some reason.

MD1990 wrote: »
    No way Stoke will hold out against Chelsea. Very bad defence.

Chelsea showing they can so shoot outs as well as the dour 1 nils

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

I'm putting this out there as Rafas biggest mistake. Selling Robbie Keane in January lost us the league.
    Signing Mr. Pointy Fingers for £19M cost us the league - the transfer budget for the season was wasted on him. At Leeds and Tottenham he was a 1 goal in 3 games player, he was slightly worse than that at Liverpool - he was certainly not the type of player that could be relied upon to replace the goals of Torres in the event of him being injured.

Keane spent the first few months of the 2008/9 season getting in the way of Torres. Torres proved to be better on his own up front and pushing Gerrard up to support him created a lethal combination.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,979 ✭✭✭doc_17

Valdes is having a very decent game against Utd. Oh to have a reliable keeper!

doc_17 wrote: »
    Valdes is having a very decent game against Utd. Oh to have a reliable keeper!

The Spanish Joe Hart. No thanks.

Would have took him before he picked The Mancs over us though.

Talisman wrote: »
    Signing Mr. Pointy Fingers for £19M cost us the league - the transfer budget for the season was wasted on him. At Leeds and Tottenham he was a 1 goal in 3 games player, he was slightly worse than that at Liverpool - he was certainly not the type of player that could be relied upon to replace the goals of Torres in the event of him being injured.

Keane spent the first few months of the 2008/9 season getting in the way of Torres. Torres proved to be better on his own up front and pushing Gerrard up to support him created a lethal combination.

Not doubting Liverpool should have sold him, and that he wasn't a good fit but he was better than David N'Gog.

We should have kept him until June.

Keane would have turned a few of those draws into wins in early 2009.

What's amazing about that whole era was the shocking paucity of striker options for a team with ambitions to win the league or Champions League

• Advertisement

What's amazing about that whole era was the shocking paucity of striker options for a team with ambitions to win the league or Champions League

Hard to know if that was Rafa's fault or the owners.

Considering the wheelin' & dealin' Rafa had to do, you'd suspect it was the owners.

Rafa had to try make a gold purse out of many sows ears.

I watched the 2005 match vs Olympiacos recently.

Looking at the players back then, it's a miracle that Liverpool won the Champions League. Sinama Pongolle, Mellor, Nunez, Baros, Traore. They wouldn't get in a relegation candidate's team today yet they all have Champions League medals.

Chelsea win again.
    What a run they're on, those jammy basstaards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

United not going away, have to win tonight or that trip to old Trafford in 2 weeks will be very interesting.

We can be the challengers or dragged into a dogfight fight for top 4.

13th win in a row for Chelsea

Lallana makes front 3, about time.
    Can in midfield.
    Me like .
    Wanted this since Cuntinho got injured
    Today it happens

Lallana makes front 3....

I'd say it's more of a 4 3 2 1 than a 4 3 3 :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Wijnaldum :D.

Milner's been City's best player so far.

I thought the Boss was in Milan doing his medical those damm ITK journo's eh eh.

• Advertisement

That's the longest 45 minutes I've watched in a long time.

Flew by for me I have to say - intriguing that Liverpool are doing what they are supposedly the absolute worst at - playing like Chelsea and it feels pretty comfortable. Obviously Guardiola will put a bomb under them at HT but with Sturridge and Origi to harass the likes of Stones and Kolarov we should get something out of this.

Flew by for me I have to say - intriguing that Liverpool are doing what they are supposedly the absolute worst at - playing like Chelsea and it feels pretty comfortable. Obviously Guardiola will put a bomb under them at HT but with Sturridge and Origi to harass the likes of Stones and Kolarov we should get something out of this.
    Sturridge harassing someone?

Really?

Unless it a physios table:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

Half time must be tough though, having to listen to Gerard 😉😉😉

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,952 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Definitely wasted a few chances, I can't see City being so passive in the second half and we'll have to make their mistakes count if we want to get out of this with 3 points.

Sturridge harassing someone?

Really?

Unless it a physios table:P

Even I think he could harass Stones :pac:

He might get injured doing it but that's nothing new ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Even I think he could harass Stones :pac:

They really should nickname him Kidney, because he must be absolutely painful for City fans.

Clyne takes a shot from inside the box that ends closer to the corner flag and with him carrying out some bizzare scissor tackle.

Mane had to play average through there.

I wouldn't mind seeing Mane pick up a niggling injury in the next 10 minutes.

Well the boss is on lets see if he throws his jersey to the crowd after the game.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement