Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

corwill wrote: »

I hear if you just wear them for a while each day, they're fine aul hats. Leave them on too long though and they start to hurt and you won't go near it for months again. I'd recommend one of these instead:

Brazil-World-Cup-14-Hat-The-Decades-HE-718x400.jpg

A much better fit for the team head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

What is all this shït im reading?

Sturridge gone, Coutinho gone, blah, blah.

Fůck that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

I still firmly believe that if Sturridge had a run of two or three game in succession, he would start scoring regularly again. 10-15 minutes in the league and a cup appearance every so often is nowhere near enough game time for him or any striker for that matter.

Whether he has the patience or the stomach to fight to retain his place, i don't know. I'd like to think that he does.

I'd also like to think that if he does leave, be it in January or the summer, its because he is going to get regular football at a new club, not because we want rid of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Alonso77

Did I hear Didi Hamann say he's not a fan of Suarez on RTE?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

dunno but Luis mugged Celtic for a penalty tonight. The RTE panel were in admiration of how cleverly he tricked the defender

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Still the evil genius then!

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Liverpool u-23's had a Gomez and 2 players called Gomes in the starting lineup tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

So Neymar wants to play with Coutinho everyone assumed it was at Barca well maybe he want's out of Spain and play with him at Liverpool.

He'd only sit on the bench here though..... :pac:

Alonso77 wrote: »

They were talking some mad stuff on there tonight. Didi in particular, loved Suarez's foul/ dive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

J Mysterio wrote: »
    They were talking some mad stuff on there tonight.

So, madder than usual then?

• Advertisement

NukaCola wrote: »
    So, madder than usual then?

Standard fare. Didi has kind of 'replaced' John Giles in the big boy chair though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Sturridge still has 4 goals and 3 or 4 assists in not very much game time!

The pace is gone but the brain, skill and trickery is still there. So while the goals have dried up he can contribute enough to justify him being a valuable member of the squad.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Alonso77 wrote: »

Prefers him on Sky Sports

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

Prefers him on Sky Sports

:D Yep, something to do with him looking way prettier in high definition....

K-9 wrote: »
    Sturridge still has 4 goals and 3 or 4 assists in not very much game time!

The pace is gone but the brain, skill and trickery is still there. So while the goals have dried up he can contribute enough to justify him being a valuable member of the squad.

It's a case of he'll score more if he plays more.
    4 goals in 10 appearances isn't bad, I wouldn't think the goals have dried up because he hasn't scored so far in the PL time he's had.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

:D Yep, something to do with him looking way prettier in high definition....

Rte is high Def as well, have you not seen Dunphy and Brady?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Think the only way to accommodate everyone's favourite striker is if Klopp goes with a BornTobyWilde formation and line-up.
    A kind of baboon formation: bare at the back but all aggression up front.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Think the only way to accommodate everyone's favourite striker is if Klopp goes with a BornTobyWilde formation and line-up.
    A kind of baboon formation: bare at the back but all aggression up front.

:pac::pac::pac:

I think we'd all be pretty content with this:

Karius
    Matip
    Milner Henderson Wijnaldum Moreno
    Lallana Firmino Coutinho
    Sturridge Origi

Maybe drop Matip to include Ings when he's fit again, or we could re-sign Mario?

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Rte is high Def as well, have you not seen Dunphy and Brady?

True! Yeah total dream-boats!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Chaps,

I'm looking to head over with the oul lad to see us play Chelsea, i was considering using Abbey Travel or Marathon as they have a ferry & coach service over and back.

Any advice or any sites you use for this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Pearce tweets that Gerrard has announced his retirement

https://twitter.com/JamesPearceEcho/status/801744322290974720

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

article-0-02A510BA0000044D-817_634x483.jpg

Legend.

Easily in the top 3 to ever play for the club IMO.

In a way, I couldn't give a toss about his athleticism, his power, his passing and his shooting ability.

It was all about his will to win.

He never won the one he wanted most, but he won more trophies with Liverpool than he had a right to with some of the teams he was a part of. But his passion for the city and the club, and his obsession with bringing success, and adding to the club's legacy, is what set him apart.

I'll never forget Istanbul, but the Gerrard FA Cup Final is my lasting memory. That last minute volley brought more spontaneous raw emotion out of me than any other moment supporting Liverpool.

Have a happy retirement Stevie G.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Best of luck to Stevie G.

Finally the 'Mark Lawrenson' type speculation of coming back to play for Liverpool is over. No doubt the coaching demands will start now.

One of the best players I have ever seen, always gave all. I will remember him for Olympiakos, Istanbul, FA Cup Final among many.

Also, how when 'rested' against Napoli in a 2010/11 Europa League match he came on as a sub and turned the game on its head and scored a hat-trick. He was a true leader of a player.

Awful pity he didn't get to win the league with us, and will be slagged for ever over that 'slip' thing which is not the real reason we didn't win the league that season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

That man is responsible for some of the happiest football memories of my life. Nothing but respect. He was an absolute force of nature at his peak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

One that will be forgotten in the sands of time was his desperate efforts to save us in December 2014 against Basel. Even at 34, as part of a squad that had lost its way, he still had that fierce desire and capacity to drive on those around him. Of course, that he couldn't force the winner in that night was symptomatic of the end approaching.

He has been debated ad nauseum over the years and I'm sure this announcement will precipitate a rush by certain quarters to opine negatively on his legacy. In the final analysis he was neither a perfect player nor the greatest player. But he was consistently great for a very long time.

As part of a less dysfunctional club and maybe with someone like Benetiz earlier in his career willing to utilise his skills fully over his own protestations he may have climbed that one tier up.

But that doesn't really matter. The times I got that rush as Gerrard switched it on at a crucial moment are countless. He brought a huge amount of joy to Liverpool fans over the years. A legend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

So many great moments - Istanbul and Olympiakos spring to mind. But his injury time goal against West Ham in the FA Cup final will live with me forever. Was the very definition of a "big game player" in those days. Magical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

murpho999 wrote: »
    Best of luck to Stevie G.

Finally the 'Mark Lawrenson' type speculation of coming back to play for Liverpool is over. No doubt the coaching demands will start now.

One of the best players I have ever seen, always gave all. I will remember him for Olympiakos, Istanbul, FA Cup Final among many.

Also, how when 'rested' against Napoli in a 2010/11 Europa League match he came on as a sub and turned the game on its head and scored a hat-trick. He was a true leader of a player.

Awful pity he didn't get to win the league with us, and will be slagged for ever over that 'slip' thing which is not the real reason we didn't win the league that season.

I was at that game - absolutely incredible performance, one man effort to take us from 1-0 down to 3-1.

He was certainly unlike any other player to play for Liverpool during my lifetime - really encapsulated everything about the club. The will to win, driving on games in the CL and FA Cup in an almost ridiculous fashion.

What a player - wish him all the best in his next step.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Everyone will mention the obvious games but that goal against Utd at Anfield, Barthez stood no chance!

What a player!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

The goal at home to Middlesborough outrageous

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

The first game I attended at Anfield was vs Sunderland in the 13/14 season.

Gerrard opened the scoring, and we won 2-1.

What a hit:
    26-03-2014-GifNumber-238.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

His pass for sturridge to score against Fulham in the 2013/2014 season was a great recent memory. He also stepped up to score a last minute penalty to give us a 3 2 win in that same game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

That goal past Barthez at Anfield from 4 miles out really stands out in my mind too. If there had been no net in the goal I think the ball would still be rising.

Olympiakos sticks in the mind also, and the FA Cup Final 2006.

Klopp on Gerrard questions. Might show how much of a distraction it could be to have him at the club, although if in an academy role he wouldn't be on the sideleine for games which would be best. Seems like something is going to happen though.
    “This is not the room I want to speak about this.

“When something needs to be announced, we will announce it, then we’ll talk.

“There will be something to be announced, that’s sure.”

More of the same then, getting slightly irritated.
    “You are obviously not satisfied with the question of the person next to you [about Gerrard].

“If he wants to make a different career, then we want to help him.

“Nothing more to say, but maybe that was too much already.”

Sick of the questions entirely now.
    “I’m the wrong person to answer about Gerrard’s standing in international football.

“Is Pelle involved? Beckenbauer? He’s a top player, but it’s not important what I think.

“I like him as a person, I saw him once playing live in a stadium.

“Stop using me for stories about Gerrard, if you want to write stories about him, write it! You don’t need me. Stop talking about this here, it doesn’t help me or Gerrard.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

He sat down with Lineker to discuss the decision

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

And that's why with those Klopp quotes I'd prefer he was away from the club for a few more years before coming then if he still wants to be involved in football.

I can just see the Sky cameras panning to him on the bench or in the crowd every time Liverpool go a goal down etc etc if he was on the first team coaching staff or the coaching staff in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Thanks for the memories Stevie, legend. I remember where I was when he scored his first goal for Liverpool, who'd have thunk he'd go on and have such a brilliant career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

5starpool wrote: »
    More of the same then, getting slightly irritated.
    “Is Pelle involved? Beckenbauer? He’s a top player, but it’s not important what I think.

pelle_4db92f4.jpg

:confused:

Blame the Mirror journalism, not mine. I'm a top, top journalist.

Klopp's comments seem to suggest there's a role at Anfield for SG :)

• Advertisement

Augeo wrote: »
    Klopp's comments seem to suggest there's a role at Anfield for SG :)

They certainly do. Weird timing though for the story to break just before Klopps press conference. Would have been better for all concerned if it happened about now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Ah much as I hate Andy Grey, this is one of my most favorite Gerrard Goals:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Gerrard signed a contract in 2012 that guaranteed him an ambassador role for life with LFC when he retired.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

dogbert27 wrote: »
    Gerrard signed a contract in 2012 that guaranteed him an ambassador role for life with LFC when he retired.

Hopefully they will fire Michael Owen then and give his ambassador role too Gerrard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Presumably if anyone in authority at the club doesn't want him around then they can just appoint him as our Syrian ambassador. Contract fulfilled, here's your flight tickets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Legend

Steven-Gerrard-Liverpool-FC.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I'm not sure if I want Gerrard back at the club as a coach.

Klopp is installing a whole new culture and work ethic at the club and Gerrard might prove to be a distraction or a hark back to the past that is not welcome.

If he does come back it must be on Klopp's terms and at junior level as he needs to work his way through the coaching ranks and earn his badges as great players more often than not do not make great managers and great managers were often not great players as they are two completely different jobs with completely different skill sets.

Also, I'm not in favour of clubs becoming handy pension funds for silly roles for ex-players.

Gerrard's not going to come straight in to Liverpool in any coaching capacity.

He's going to do his gig with BT for the CL and PL and he'll get the ambassador gig with LFC for a while.

Presumably if anyone in authority at the club doesn't want him around then they can just appoint him as our Syrian ambassador. Contract fulfilled, here's your flight tickets.

Steven Gerrard is the best ambassador to promote LFC. Everybody in authority will be sanctioning his role to send him around the globe getting bigger sponsorship deals in and getting LFC more money.

Gerrard's not going to come straight in to Liverpool in any coaching capacity.

He's going to do his gig with BT for the CL and PL and he'll get the ambassador gig with LFC for a while.

Yep, that's spot on imo.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement