Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I had forgotten about the Southampton away cup game between Plymouth and Utd games. That'll be a fairly strong team too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Sturridge should definitely be starting tomorrow, deserves it and he needs games to keep him sharp. I wouldn't be making wholesale changes though, any slip up tomorrow would be disastrous with the month ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

5starpool wrote: »
    I had forgotten about the Southampton away cup game between Plymouth and Utd games. That'll be a fairly strong team too.

Plenty of games coming up, without Mane until perhaps February, I'd like to see Sturridge given a run and Bobby a rest tomorrow.

Ojo has scored 3 in his last four appearances for the u23s, but I don't know if he has had 90 min under his belt yet. Would be glad to see him back in the senior squad as a bit of further back up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Bodies will be tired tomorrow, our pressing will probably not be needed as much so it might not hurt us in that department.

Sturridge and Origi will probably start.....enough about the two of them to cause problems.

Henderson will miss out I'd say. Obviously 3 points a must, even with injuries and tiredness we should have too much.

corwill wrote: »
    Plenty of games coming up, without Mane until perhaps February, I'd like to see Sturridge given a run and Bobby a rest tomorrow.

Ojo.............. Would be glad to see him back in the senior squad as a bit of further back up.

Indeed, with Mane gone we have Firmino, Origi, Sturridge, Coutinho & maybe Lallana to pick 3 from. Coutinho should be available as soon as Mane is gone which is great. Wij maybe an option too.

Mane will be a huge loss, he's out PL top scorer I think although there's little between him Firmino and Lallana so far.

Ojo proabably the paciest of all our options aside from Mane so might well get a few 30 mins PL appearances over the coming month and of course probably more time in the cups

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

We have excuses tomorrow
    The little rest
    The fact players were out late last night
    The potential is there for a slip up
    A change of year can be funny in football
    Sunderland could flip a switch tomorrow

We have excuses tomorrow
    The little rest

there are usually excuses but that's not in the spirit of your sentiment from a few days ago :)
    Klopp has too many runner up medals with us
    He wants to win and so do I
    This talk of '' ah sure 4th will be fine'' that's not my wish for us.
    I want to talk of winning, even in those seasons we finish 7th
    Aim should be 1st always

I want us to thrash Sunderland
    I expect us to do that
    If we have a Bournemouth
    We will use the obvious excuses
    That's all I'm saying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

robbed off reddit
    Daniel Sturridge, Alberto Moreno, Lucas, Divock Origi, Stewart & Trent Alexander-Arnold are all in contention vs Sunderland. Hendo a doubt. (James Pearce)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Rumpy Pumpy

Something that makes me happy: James Milner plays for us.

Something that makes me a little bit sad: He didn't join Liverpool 10 years ago.

It's a bit of a cliche at this stage, but he really is the very epitome of that hard working and honest English player that the media usually lap up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Something that makes me a little bit sad: He didn't join Liverpool 10 years ago.

It's a bit of a cliche at this stage, but he really is the very epitome of that hard working and honest English player that the media usually lap up.

I wonder what his thoughts are on playing lb still and what he(and klopp) sees for him in the future. I believe Milner said a while ago after having playing lb for a while that it's not ideal for him but he will do it for the team, wonder would he fancy another couple of seasons of it?

We have excuses tomorrow
    The little rest

Our players and manager are better, we've had similar rest, the extra 2.5 hours they had makes little difference. Them at home is their only advantage.

robbed off reddit

Tennis player can go out there for 4 hours and play a semi in temps 30c plus, he can then go play a final next day and do same.
    I would not want too many changes tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

5starpool wrote: »
    Our players and manager are better, we've had similar rest, the extra 2.5 hours they had makes little difference. Them at home is their only advantage.

We would have spent a lot more time chasing the ball then they did in their last game. People are saying the lads can rest after tomorrow but I'd rather play lads that are fresh and not far off our best first eleven for this game the likes of sturridge and origi. There is a reason why teams don't play games less than 48 hours apart in any other leagues or at any other stage in the PL. Its because you can't recover properly. If it wasn't a big deal PL clubs would play on a sat after an el Thurs game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Rumpy Pumpy

klose wrote: »
    I wonder what his thoughts are on playing lb still and what he(and klopp) sees for him in the future. I believe Milner said a while ago after having playing lb for a while that it's not ideal for him but he will do it for the team, wonder would he fancy another couple of seasons of it?

There was an interview with Henderson in the Sindo today. He spoke about the absolute belief in what Klopp is trying to achieve. He actually apologized for using the word belief too often. Milner is obviously his own man, but he is winning continued plaudits for his performances at LB. He had Sterling in his pocket for the entire game yesterday. Made it look almost effortless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

Tennis player can go out there for 4 hours and play a semi in temps 30c plus, he can then go play a final next day and do same.
    I would not want too many changes tomorrow.
    Huge difference in the distances covered and obviously the rest breaks.
    I'd rather rest tired players tomorrow than lose them for a month because they pick up an injury.

Of course it's bad to play games so close together, but it's better to do it when second having had a tough win over a close rival than second bottom having had a chasing from one of your rivals.

We'll make a few changes, Sunderland have worse injury problems and if we don't beat them there should be no whinging about lack of rest. If we get muscle injuries or whatever, then complaining is totally justified.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

I'd say as long as we are winning and doing well in general Milner will be happy to be an integral part of the team.
    While he won stuff and was an import st player at City, he was never a vital cog like he is here.
    He has to be one of the first names on the sheet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

The more I think about it that really was a master stroke in tactics by Klopp last night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,929 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Klopp a total hero.

On side not it looks like Bobby went to the previous managers dentist.

tooth-twinkle.jpg

Putting all those goal bonuses to good use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Whats the likely line up for 2m?

Could sturridhe get a start? Even Moreno? Could put Milner in cm if stuck.

I'm trying to be inventive. Although I guess Oirigi didn't play that many mins yest.

Win tomorrow would be so vital. We'd have a nice stretch with no EPL games and a proper chance for Henderson, coutinho and matip to get fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,929 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Wijnaldum wants his mate at Liverpool.
    Wijnaldum also claimed Quincy Promes, his international team-mate, would succeed at Liverpool should Klopp develop his interest in the Spartak Moscow midfielder this month. “I think he knows how great Liverpool is, I knew it before I came here,” said the summer recruit from Newcastle United. “I don’t know if everything is true about what they say as I don’t speak with him about that. Of course I want him to come to Liverpool because I know he is a good player and also a good person who can help the team but it is something for the manager and the scouts, not for me.”

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/jan/01/georginio-wijnaldum-urges-liverpool-step-up-pressure-on-chelsea

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    I'd say as long as we are winning and doing well in general Milner will be happy to be an integral part of the team.
    While he won stuff and was an import st player at City, he was never a vital cog like he is here.
    He has to be one of the first names on the sheet.

Love the guy, pure professional, does his job doesn't complain, rarely injured. You need a player like that to win a league. He has been a revelation at LB though, considering his best position was right wing its nothing short of genius from Klopp. Incredible really

noodler wrote: »
    Whats the likely line up for 2m?

Could sturridhe get a start? Even Moreno? Could put Milner in cm if stuck.

I'm trying to be inventive. Although I guess Oirigi didn't play that many mins yest.

Win tomorrow would be so vital. We'd have a nice stretch with no EPL games and a proper chance for Henderson, coutinho and matip to get fit.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=102122608&postcount=3610

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

rob316 wrote: »
    Love the guy, pure professional, does his job doesn't complain, rarely injured. You need a player like that to win a league. He has been a revelation at LB though, considering his best position was right wing its nothing short of genius from Klopp. Incredible really

Agree with all that. What I was trying to say, is that Im sure he's happy to be playing left althiough he came looking to play midfield because he's a more importnat part of the team here than there. So I don't think we need to worry about him.
    Was always very happy we got him in. Pity we didnt get him a few years earlier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

I'd like to see Sturridge get a start with mane and origi either side or perhaps interchanging with origi. Hard to see too many other possible changes bar whoever comes in for Henderson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Agree with all that. What I was trying to say, is that Im sure he's happy to be playing left althiough he came looking to play midfield because he's a more importnat part of the team here than there. So I don't think we need to worry about him.
    Was always very happy we got him in. Pity we didnt get him a few years earlier.

I'd hope he feels he has been having more of an influence and an impact at left back than he anticipated. He's been just getting better and better, as well as more important. Lot of groans yesterday about the ball he gave away before Klavan's yellow, but when you consider how much is demanded of him by Klopp by reason of the way we're set up, I'm hard pressed to think of how the role could be any tougher. Errors are inevitable, and he's making less with every game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

The pressure to keep winning is ****ing intense.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

omg theres more football tomorrow.
    im excited yes but like... too much cream!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,660 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Who the fcuk at LFC turned Deli Ali down. ? Should be fired if not already

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

It is but if we can do the business against Sunderland then we at least put some pressure on Chelsea by being 3 points behind them when they go into their game against Spurs. Im also happy that Spurs just scored four and Chelsea conceded two v Stoke so maybe they are not as invincible as they look. Chelsea are out for a PL record of 14 consecutive wins. I fear that if Chelsea get the 14th win on the trot it could galvanize the team to go on extending it even further. Spurs could do us a huge favour by beating them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Think it could be a bit of a struggle against Sunderland. No way the players cannot be somewhat jaded after playing a high intensity game against City just 48 hours earlier. Granted Sunderland are not very good but they frustrated us at Anfield for an hour not too long ago. Might have to be patient again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

We have had the least amount of shots on goal conceded in the league as per motd . I think the whole we can't defend thing is a bit of a myth. Just lack a top class keeper.

Think it could be a bit of a struggle against Sunderland. No way the players cannot be somewhat jaded after playing a high intensity game against City just 48 hours earlier. Granted Sunderland are not very good but they frustrated us at Anfield for an hour not too long ago. Might have to be patient again.

I fear it could be a very disjointed game. We should still have more than enough for them, but anything can happen.

I worried more about Sunderland than City

The pressure to keep winning is ****ing in tents.

Totally.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭internelligent

rob316 wrote: »
    I worried more about Sunderland than City

I would be now I guess. ..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

No boring milner sentiments, very good but there were alot around here very critical of his new position, i doubt very much he would have been as vital in midfield and i cannot see where he would get his starting place midfield.
    Hope klopp gets a free be from his critics for a clanger as he has shown vision in moving milner

sword1 wrote: »
    Hope klopp gets a free be from his critics for a clanger as he has shown vision in moving milner

Karius?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

That's very much from a supporter perspective, the players would not be feelong it like that, at this stage of the season anyhow. They'd be growing in confidence with each performance, they take to the pitch knowing their roles and concentrate of doing their jobs and the process, they're not thinking too much about the need to win or the league table.

I would be now I guess. ..

Yeah that's a strange one alright. If we win it'll probably be 'Never in doubt.'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

sword1 wrote: »
    No boring milner sentiments, very good but there were alot around here very critical of his new position, i doubt very much he would have been as vital in midfield and i cannot see where he would get his starting place midfield.

He pretty much does play in midfield. I think that's the secret. Avoid the issue of how good an orthodox LB Milner is by making him play at LM for the majority of his time on the pitch.
    We don't spend much time in a set defence most games so things you might worry about, whether or not they're actually things he struggles with, aren't exposed very often anyway.
    It'd be interesting to see the heat maps but I'd suspect Milner is even more advanced than Clyne, who himself is played quite aggressively.

Milners average position in a graphic I can't find was about 75% of the position of Firmino from the Liverpool goal line in the City game so he was quite high up the pitch.

Who's starting the Sunderland match thread?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Really need to keep a hold of these two as long as we can, and get another Brazilian friend for them :

Fieldog wrote: »
    Really need to keep a hold of these two as long as we can, and get another Brazilian friend for them :

Id say Lucas is so frozen out he's not allowed talk to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Fieldog wrote: »

That screen grab on the YouTube plugin makes them look like a gay couple being interviewed on some fly on the wall documentary.

Milners average position in a graphic I can't find was about 75% of the position of Firmino from the Liverpool goal line in the City game so he was quite high up the pitch.

Who's starting the Sunderland match thread?

I wasn't going to start it until I saw you posting this.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=102126769#post102126769

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement