Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭doc_17

What are the odds that a team managed by the horrible one does the same to us that his teams did in 13/14 and the year after? We are contenders and he takes 3 points off us. And next year his team wins it.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

There will be a lot of cocky, arrogant noise returning over the next 13 days at least. Hopefully we can put in a good performance after getting a couple of cup wins out of the way, and quieten things down a bit. It'll be a very tough one though, and I cant really come up with any prediction for it. I wouldn't take a draw at OT, but if that was the result I'd likely be satisfied enough, depending on how the game went of course.

If someone told us we'd be in this position at the start of the year - we'd snap the hand off them - and probably have been laughed at to boot for even contemplating it.

2 Weeks rest now more or less, with the possibility of Coutinho and Matip to come back into the frame, 2 weeks after Mane will be back - we are holding in second place with possibilities. We'll be a different team than we seen today with players rested and back chomping at the bit.

Positives all over the place!

It's funny how if ManU had dropped points today we'd be twice as optimistic but since they are going through a purple patch and getting decent results v 10 man West Hams of this world we are slightly more worried looking over our shoulders ... it's turning out to be a really exciting season.

Enjoy it.

Is Matip not going to the African Cup of Nations?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

doc_17 wrote: »
    Is Matip not going to the African Cup of Nations?

He's not going.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Howard Webb retires, they get a couple of dodgy decisions for and against and all of a sudden refereeing needs a major overhaul! The solution is obvious get Webb back.

Just had a quick look there, and I could be wrong, but, when we play again, we could be out of the top 4 and needing to win to get into it. Spurs, Arsenal play twice before we kick off again and Man City play once. And if Utd win they'd be within 2 points of us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

NukaCola wrote: »
    Some lads are going to make a show of themselves with the meltdowns.

Also, dont see how Klopp "got it wrong". Think we done more than enough to win. As a manager you cant account for someone handling a ball from a freekick. Freshen it up and lads would be complaining he made too many changes. That team had enough to win and were comfortable bar 15 mins. Bad results happen.

We are still in great shape. Forget about Chelsea, they are on a different planet with results at the moment, that run wont last.

I love Klopp but he got it wrong today. We needed more energy for the battle that Sunderland would bring. We lost control of the game after losing the team shape - players were just not able to get around the pitch to make themselves available, they were bunched.

To justify that selection by saying we did "more than enough to win" is wrong, we didn't do more than enough to win that match, we were passive when it came to the 2nd ball and we were misplacing passes throughout.

We allowed a very poor team back into the game twice, but I'm still loving this season and we have a long way to go yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

Been getting lots of lucky breaks lately. Remember the two Rojo non-red cards.

United have had some awful decisions against them over the season, you only need to look at the game against Middlesborough.

Liverpool been getting lots of lucky breaks lately. Remember the Lucas handball not given. See how this comment can annoy, but don't let facts get in the way.

edgecutter wrote: »
    Liverpool been getting lots of lucky breaks lately. Re

You'll have to list them for me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

sword1 wrote: »
    Will be lucky if we don't get injuries with so little rotation and games so close, bet sturridge will be first ,think i saw him warm up at the city game

Hate to be right, posted the above prematch

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Hopefully the injured lads are back for the utd game. The schedule was against us and I feared dropped points today as it was always going to be a bit of a lottery. No need to panic we are still in a great position and playing well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

sword1 wrote: »
    Will be lucky if we don't get injuries with so little rotation and games so close, bet sturridge will be first ,think i saw him warm up at the city game

Hate to be right, posted the above prematch.....

Hate to burst your bubble, but you don't need a crystal ball to foresee Sturridge being injured, even though he hardly needs a rest.. He was our most dangerous player today I hope it's just a knock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

If someone told us we'd be in this position at the start of the year -
    :confused:

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

marno21 wrote: »
    Our last game was less than 48 hours ago. This was never going to be plain sailing.

Better to lose the points against Sunderland than City. If we'd won today and lost the last day City would be 3 points closer to us.

Sunderland's last game was 46.5 hours ago so I don't think that is really valid as an excuse tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I love his interviews, even after a poor result.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

Glad Mane is off - I do not want to see his face for a while!

13 points over the last 5 games should be considered very decent of course - it's just the way it happened that's so infuriating.

Yes but 14 points from the last 21 isn't so good. It's very easy to pick and choose stats to favour your argument. The truth is that no amount of looking at any paticular way is gonna make this anything other than a poor result imo. Having said that we will have poor results. Chelsea's incredible first half to the season has highlighted every slip up as they steam roller on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Bah.! Dissapointing but those kind of results always pop up, quite odd the games against the better teams have been good wins yet we drop silly points against poor teams. Had we a full complement like someone pointed out earlier perhaps klopp could've shaken it up a bit but alas 3 games in 6 days is tough and 7 points a fair return. Just realised we have 7 games in january(albeit 3 cup games), need phil hendo and matip back asap and hope sturridge didnt pick up a serious injury today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

FixitFelix wrote: »
    ebbsy wrote: »
    We have

Injuries
    Busy schedule
    Shallow squad.

2nd is not too bad. Need to get a few in January though.

Playing once a week excluding the Xmas period is hardly a busy schedule :)

I was talking about the Xmas schedule.

What schedule did you think I was talking about ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Reporters are so stupid
    Would have to wonder about their knowledge of game
    They need things explained 3 times to them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Reporters are so stupid
    Would have to wonder about their knowledge of game
    They need things explained 3 times to them

What do you mean?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

garra wrote: »
    I love Klopp but he got it wrong today. We needed more energy for the battle that Sunderland would bring. We lost control of the game after losing the team shape - players were just not able to get around the pitch to make themselves available, they were bunched.

To justify that selection by saying we did "more than enough to win" is wrong, we didn't do more than enough to win that match, we were passive when it came to the 2nd ball and we were misplacing passes throughout.

We allowed a very poor team back into the game twice, but I'm still loving this season and we have a long way to go yet.

I disagree with all of this. As I already said, you could only bring in one or two more players before going to the young lads. That would be too much of a risk. And bar 15/20 mins we generally had no problems dealing with Sunderland.

Would Lucas for Can give you more energy in the middle? Starting Moreno would give you energy but also maybe a heart attack with errors. Maybe start Origi out wide instead of Firmino? Not ideal either to be honest. What you get in energy you lose in quality. No-one on the bench would improve our starting 11 IMO no matter how much energy they have, and for a team that was so tired only two penalties got Sunderland back into the game.

There is no guarantee that playing lads with more energy would got us a better result, especially those lads we'd have needed to use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

mormank wrote: »
    Yes but 14 points from the last 21 isn't so good. It's very easy to pick and choose stats to favour your argument. The truth is that no amount of looking at any paticular way is gonna make this anything other than a poor result imo. Having said that we will have poor results. Chelsea's incredible first half to the season has highlighted every slip up as they steam roller on.

I was simply thinking about the last 5 game block, nothing else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,644 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Obviously a disappointment today, I haven't seen it, so I can't comment directly. However, given that 10/11 played 2 days ago, it's clear that the squad depth needs strengthening, notwithstanding the few injuries. Still think we are short in centre mid in particular. With Stewart not starting today, it seems Kopp thinks he's not up to it yet. Playing 3 in midfield demands energy, and hence need bodies there to rotate long term

The lack of rest since a high intensity game against City definitely had an adverse affect. It was probably Can and Wijnaldum's worst games for the club. Milner who has been the height of consistency, struggled, and had to be subbed off. Firmino out of sorts again. Just were carrying too many players who were not at the races today. Nearly got away with the 3 points all the same but didn't in the end.

Maybe Klopp could have started Lucas, Moreno, Origi, Stewart, etc, but who knows? That side might have lost the game. No way of knowing.

Fair play to Klopp in the presser, he acknowledged that he wasn't sure how to utilise his squad for this 2 games in 3 days. Lessons learned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Any news on Sturridge?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Amazing how much competition there was for first team places 8 weeks ago and now we are on the edge of an injury crises with eight players out and Mane off to Africa. It is what it is but I hope FSG & Klopp are going to push the boat out now and try to recruit well this window in anticipation of CL football next season. Despite todays set back we are in a really great position to secure top four so we need to be planning ahead now rather than buy all requirements in the summer, some of who wont settle in straight away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,929 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

44 points after 20 games so far this season.

60 points after 38 games last season.

A small improvement this season so far I think.

Vicxas wrote: »
    Any news on Sturridge?

He's out for 4 years with a minor strain.

Vicxas wrote: »
    Any news on Sturridge?

• Advertisement

Apologies double post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

ebbsy wrote: »

4 weeks I heard.

Broken shoelace, may need surgery.

Bruise an ego
    Will need it massaged heavily before next game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Tbh there didn't look much in it at the time, so if it's a physical injury he shouldn't be out too long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

• Registered Users Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭ElTel

Our Klopp should 'av let Mane go off to AFCON early!
    Once he started he was already looking for an extended holiday...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Amazing how much competition there was for first team places 8 weeks ago and now we are on the edge of an injury crises with eight players out and Mane off to Africa. It is what it is but I hope FSG & Klopp are going to push the boat out now and try to recruit well this window in anticipation of CL football next season. Despite todays set back we are in a really great position to secure top four so we need to be planning ahead now rather than buy all requirements in the summer, some of who wont settle in straight away.
    Don't get your hopes up.
    I think it is unlikely we will sign anyone in January. No point signing a stop gap & signing good players & long term targets in January is very difficult.

MD1990 wrote: »
    Don't get your hopes.
    I think it is unlikely we will sign anyone in January. No point signing a stop gap & signing good players & long term targets in January is very difficult.

I don't agree. I'm sure there is plenty of players available out there.

Didn't we sign Sturridge and Couthino in a January window.

I am not a football scout myself so I cant offer any potential targets but I'm sure the club would have a good idea on whats about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Didn't we sign Sturridge and Couthino in a January window.

And Suarez

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Tbh there didn't look much in it at the time, so if it's a physical injury he shouldn't be out too long.

My stream wasn't the best but he seemed to get a kick on the side of his foot. Could be very painful for someone with a low pain threshold. Like Daniel.

Dunno who can improve our 11
    Hard to drop anyone in back 4, front 3, or midfield
    Who improves us
    Sign De Gea

My stream wasn't the best but he seemed to get a kick on the side of his foot. Could be very painful for someone with a low pain threshold. Like Daniel.

I'm quite sure if I kicked the side of your foot you'd find it very painful :)

Liverpool next on Baby C1

Who improves us
    Sign De Gea

Lucas in our front 3 instead of firmino would have been an improvement today :pac:

Pity klopp doesn't rate Lucas :D

• Advertisement

Mig s save when Defoe 1 on 1 with him was fantastic tbf.

Who improves us
    Sign De Gea

Don't think he'd fancy signing for Liverpool but would he like another year without CL?
    I'm not sure..

Anyways Mig done quite well today.

kfallon wrote: »
    And Suarez

Exactly, it's horsesh1t that people seem to be eager to accept we won't do business this January, it's borderline negligence if we don't sign 1 or 2. We have the cash, we have the pulling power, I'm sure there is plenty of players out there to improve the squad, we are down to the bare bones.

Lucas came on to be another tackler
    Another would be foul giver
    Turned out the way
    Another body is great, but it's also another hustler who can give free kicks away

kfallon wrote: »
    And Suarez

And Agger!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement