Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

The lack of rest since a high intensity game against City definitely had an adverse affect. It was probably Can and Wijnaldum's worst games for the club. Milner who has been the height of consistency, struggled, and had to be subbed off. Firmino out of sorts again. Just were carrying too many players who were not at the races today. Nearly got away with the 3 points all the same but didn't in the end.

Maybe Klopp could have started Lucas, Moreno, Origi, Stewart, etc, but who knows? That side might have lost the game. No way of knowing.

It's true we have no way of knowing what would have happened if TAA had started right back with Clyne or Moreno on the left, with Lucas / Stewart in for Can / Wij. Maybe too many changes but Origi in for Firminho should have happened imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

doc_17 wrote: »
    And Agger!

plus Maxi, Fowler and Masch - January is our best transfer window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

plus Maxi, Fowler and Masch - January is our best transfer window.

Andy Carroll negates all that tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,614 ✭✭✭Damien360

NukaCola wrote: »
    Andy Carroll negates all that tbh

Sssshhhhh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

klose wrote: »
    Bah.! Dissapointing but those kind of results always pop up, quite odd the games against the better teams have been good wins yet we drop silly points against poor teams. Had we a full complement like someone pointed out earlier perhaps klopp could've shaken it up a bit but alas 3 games in 6 days is tough and 7 points a fair return. Just realised we have 7 games in january(albeit 3 cup games), need phil hendo and matip back asap and hope sturridge didnt pick up a serious injury today.

Not odd at all. In fact you will find that I predicted just that would happen a few times earlier in the season. The way we are set up works much better against teams that come to play than those who come to sit back and defend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

There is quality available in January for sure, it just happens that there is less of it than the summer. Doesnt mean we cant make at least one or two solid signings. We have the 5th most injuries in the PL and Klopp doesnt seem to think TAA, Stewart, Ojo, etc are ready. Squad is threadbare as it is and if we get more injuries top 4 could slip away. Plus after how the summer signings have turned out I really trust Klopp in the market. Now is the time to be brave and push the boat out.

mormank wrote: »
    Not odd at all. In fact you will find that I predicted just that would happen a few times earlier in the season. The way we are set up works much better against teams that come to play than those who come to sit back and defend.

It's against the likes of Burnley and Sunderland that you have to have your sharp, crisp passing game bang on. Today and indeed for a few games now that aspect has been less focused and become a bit wayward. Shooting from 20 yards is easy enough most of the time. The only really nice one-two I recall from todays game was when Sturridge and Lallana combined for a decent shot which Vito Mannone parried over.

I was simply thinking about the last 5 game block, nothing else.

Well of course but my point is why stop there? Of course if you look just at a block of good results things will look good and I'm just saying that we should have won today and no amount of drooling over previous results changes that.

16 points off last years total.......20 games in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Dunno who can improve our 11
    Hard to drop anyone in back 4, front 3, or midfield
    Who improves us
    Sign De Gea

I'd like someone better to partner Matip.

Another striker too.

A dedicated left back.

• Advertisement

Funnily enough Chelsea are only a point off their total last season 19 games in.......Jose really ****ed that season up....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Tbh there didn't look much in it at the time, so if it's a physical injury he shouldn't be out too long.

:pac:

I have to say tho, even after we conceded the equalizer with very little time left I believed we could score a winner. Even just believing that is a nice feeling and an improvement on previous seasons and for now I'll take it.

I have to say tho, even after we conceded the equalizer with very little time left I believed we could score a winner. Even just believing that is a nice feeling and an improvement on previous seasons and for now I'll take it.

I think it's because the team obviously believe it too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

noodler wrote: »
    I'd like someone better to partner Matip.

Another striker too.

A dedicated left back.

Milner will challenge Coutinho for player of the season
    So many strikers already, would need to be Costa or Suarez to take that center spot.
    Matip has Lovern, Raggy, Gomez, Lucas, Sakho

We have 60 million of deadwood . We should put 40m with it and buy Costa .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Milner will challenge Coutinho for player of the season
    So many strikers already, would need to be Costa or Suarez to take that center spot.
    Matip has Lovern, Raggy, Gomez, Lucas, Sakho

We have 60 million of deadwood . We should put 40m with it and buy Costa .

He has lovren and raggy who aren't good enough and sakho who will.never be available again.

Won't even comment on Lucas and milner as you know why neither of them will be long term.options.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

2 days in and no-one signed....

#Kloppout

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

So, we should see Sakho leave, plus maybe some fringers like Ilori or Jack Dunn.
    Not sure how much would come in, definitely like another impact winger unless Ojo is getting close to 100%. A lot of talk of Promes, would cost a pretty penny though...

• Advertisement

Dickerty wrote: »
    So, we should see Sakho leave, plus maybe some fringers like Ilori or Jack Dunn.
    Not sure how much would come in, definitely like another impact winger unless Ojo is getting close to 100%. A lot of talk of Promes, would cost a pretty penny though...

Promes and Van Djik and that'll be that...... Thats being bloody hopeful tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Vicxas wrote: »
    Promes and Van Djik and that'll be that...... Thats being bloody hopeful tho.
    I doubt we'll see another CB come in and Van Djik is heavily linked with Man City as well as us.

I can see 2 buys only, one like Promes to replace Mane/Ings/rotate in and out and a younger player who will be loaned back to their old club for the season.

Dickerty wrote: »
    So, we should see Sakho leave.................A lot of talk of Promes, would cost a pretty penny though...

There's a bit of a Balotelliness about Sakho, PSG and Liverpool not working out for him and not really due to on pitch performance/ability. A shame in a way but after his antics under two LFC managers I'd have no sympathy for him but I have a bit of regret that it didn't work out for LFCs sake, he's a very credible CB on his day and at his worse on the pitch he's not really sh1te either.

Klopp clearly gave him a 100% clean slate and Sakho ruined it.

If Klopp reckoned Promes will fit in, and if he hit the ground running the transfer fee would be worth it considering he's contracted until 2021, if you buy a player with 4+ years left on his contract, who's only 24 and is a goal every 2 games player for his club you have to stump up :)

Going off the stats, his season 4 years ago when only 20 for Football Club Twente was very impressive, 11 goals in 31 apps. Small sample size of course Suarez when he was 20 ish scored 17 in 33 apps in the same league, still, not bad :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

It's against the likes of Burnley and Sunderland that you have to have your sharp, crisp passing game bang on. Today and indeed for a few games now that aspect has been less focused and become a bit wayward. Shooting from 20 yards is easy enough most of the time. The only really nice one-two I recall from todays game was when Sturridge and Lallana combined for a decent shot which Vito Mannone parried over.

Henderson a huge loss yesterday tbh. When Can is good hes very good when hes bad hes atrocious (too slow, labored passing)

I read a stat about Hendo having the highest long pass success rate in Europe, that's the thing he can switch the play and catch teams like Sunderland on the hop. Also the fact he is "defacto" england captain would have carried some weight when challenging some ref decisions yesterday , it would have put doubt in Taylors mind for some decisions.

No Hendo No Party :(

MOM for mannone as well says it all about yesterday too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭jones

Very frustrating.
    Great win against City 2 days before - i loved the way Liverpool took the sting out of the game and "won ugly" so to speak which is something i didn't think they could do. This mindless attacking at every opportunity is great to a point but its bitten us too many times. Yesterday's result isnt surprising and thats the problem.

Would any of Chelsea, City, United, Arsenal or Spurs have failed to win yesterday against Sunderland? I doubt it (i know its not something that can be proved either way)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭PaddyWilliams

As happened in 08/09, draws are the things that is killing us. Only 2 losses, same as Chelsea, but our 5 draws to their one is hurting us. I know 1 point is better than none, but if only we could have turned 2 or 3 of those 5 into wins we'd be breathing down their necks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Lets sign Allen and Suso.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,029 ✭✭✭✭GBX

As happened in 08/09, draws are the things that is killing us. Only 2 losses, same as Chelsea, but our 5 draws to their one is hurting us. I know 1 point is better than none, but if only we could have turned 2 or 3 of those 5 into wins we'd be breathing down their necks.

That's it. With luck, hopefully Spurs do over Chelsea - there first big game in a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

No point concerning about Chelsea, the run they are on is ridiculous and nothing we can do about that. You would assume they will eventually come off the streak however.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭PaddyWilliams

No point concerning about Chelsea, the run they are on is ridiculous and nothing we can do about that. You would assume they will eventually come off the streak however.

Oh I know it sounds like I'm concerned about Chelsea, but I'm really not. Just concerned that we haven't finished off games where we should have won. But, to balance that out, we're also in a fantastic position still. It's been a good season overall, so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/kevin-stewart-not-sale-liverpool-12398189

Kevin Stewart not for sale, club turns down bids from 5 clubs.

Thought we might have seen more of him by now, especially with the fixture congestion and injuries in recent weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

I think that too much was being made of the fatigue factor going into yesterday's game. The scheduling was absurd, no doubt, but wasn't going to change. Maybe that seeped into the subconscious yesterday a little?
    I looked at Defoe - played 180 minutes in pretty much the same period of time - chase and harry our defenders throughout. We run more than any other team but we seemed as much mentally rather than physically tired yesterday.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

So it seems Cameroon expect Matip (Even though he is injured?) to turn up to their training camp for the ACON, which means he might be suspended for us for the duration of the tournament. Given that he hasn't played for them in ages it's a bit mad. I know the rules were put in place to protect countries from club pressure being applied to players, but surely there should be a bit of sense applied when the players themselves genuinely don't want to play? It's ridiculous.

5starpool wrote: »
    So it seems Cameroon expect Matip (Even though he is injured?) to turn up to their training camp for the ACON, which means he might be suspended for us for the duration of the tournament. Given that he hasn't played for them in ages it's a bit mad. I know the rules were put in place to protect countries from club pressure being applied to players, but surely there should be a bit of sense applied when the players themselves genuinely don't want to play? It's ridiculous.

I think they're trying to force his hand to see if he shows up or not, i think its a bit stupid altogether.

Where has this story come from?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Henderson a huge loss yesterday tbh. When Can is good hes very good when hes bad hes atrocious (too slow, labored passing)

I read a stat about Hendo having the highest long pass success rate in Europe, that's the thing he can switch the play and catch teams like Sunderland on the hop. Also the fact he is "defacto" england captain would have carried some weight when challenging some ref decisions yesterday , it would have put doubt in Taylors mind for some decisions.

No Hendo No Party :(

MOM for mannone as well says it all about yesterday too.

Henderson is absolutely crucial as you say. He's the player that makes the whole team tic.

He blows the whole Premier League out of the water for the amount of passes per game. Have a look at the below stats:

405321.png

This basically shows that he is the go to man in our team, really stepping it up as a playmaker this year. Stats would suggest there is currently no one better in the league at getting on the ball and moving it on, showing again etc...

Can is not really a playmaker as you pointed out. His strengths are predominantly physically - neither the same mental or technical attributes to play this role. I really like Can, but as you say, he was very hit and miss yesterday.

Have a look at the long balls in those stats as well. Backs up what you say. 6.4 a game is a huge amount for a midfielder, again the highest in the league.

The fact that Henderson is securing 87% pass success rate while playing so many long balls (which of course are more difficult to pull off) is highly impressive.

Anyway, totally agree with you, thought I would back up your argument with some stats.

Considering he is also our captain, there's a very strong argument for saying that he's our most important player right now. Although the front 3 will be the ones that stand out and get the main plaudits, there's an argument to say that Henderson may be the only truly irreplaceable player in terms of the role he plays in making things tick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Morzadec wrote: »
    Henderson is absolutely crucial as you say. He's the player that makes the whole team tic.

He blows the whole Premier League out of the water for the amount of passes per game. Have a look at the below stats:

405321.png

This basically shows that he is the go to man in our team, really stepping it up as a playmaker this year. Stats would suggest there is currently no one better in the league at getting on the ball and moving it on, showing again etc...

Can is not really a playmaker as you pointed out. His strengths are predominantly physically - neither the same mental or technical attributes to play this role. I really like Can, but as you say, he was very hit and miss yesterday.

Have a look at the long balls in those stats as well. Backs up what you say. 6.4 a game is a huge amount for a midfielder, again the highest in the league.

The fact that Henderson is securing 87% pass success rate while playing so many long balls (which of course are more difficult to pull off) is highly impressive.

Anyway, totally agree with you, thought I would back up your argument with some stats.

Considering he is also our captain, there's a very strong argument for saying that he's our most important player right now. Although the front 3 will be the ones that stand out and get the main plaudits, there's an argument to say that Henderson may be the only truly irreplaceable player in terms of the role he plays in making things tick.

Thanks for the stats and info to back it up Morzadec.
    I had this argument with a work mate of mine about Henderson, Milner, et al.
    People don't appreciate these players contributions until they are not in the team.

Morzadec wrote: »

405321.png

We have 3 of the top 10 long ball passers in Europe. Let's face it, we're just Stoke in disguise.

I'm delighted that Henderson fought back from his injury problems and never let the doubts of some fans in his ability to captain and run this team to affect him greatly. He's a model pro with the dedication and tunnel vision to succeed at the highest level. We look cumbersome in possession and worryingly ready to concede possession in midfield without him on the pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Thanks for the stats and info to back it up Morzadec.
    I had this argument with a work mate of mine about Henderson, Milner, et al.
    People don't appreciate these players contributions until they are not in the team.

Really important those 2 are fit for the utd game.

If someone is mad enough to offer 12m for Kevin Stewart I'm not sure why we aren't accepting given that we haven't used him at all this season basically.

• Advertisement

5starpool wrote: »
    If someone is mad enough to offer 12m for Kevin Stewart I'm not sure why we aren't accepting given that we haven't used him at all this season basically.

I'm guessing that Klopp values youth and wants to give them a run in the FA Cup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

He's 23 since September, pretty much sh!t or burst time for him as a senior pro. Bit late in the day to have him living off the scraps of cup runs.

It does look strange at that price (assuming we can believe it) he'll certainly play the FA Cup third round along with Can I hope as he needs all the minutes he can get just to keep ticking over.

As regards Henderson he has really surprised me with the way he has taken to his new deeper role, didn't see it in him but then that's becoming a refrain under Klopp! Thing is every player now seems to be nearly indispensable - and missed when they are out for any time though you can argue that the side has made light of Coutinho and Matip so far but it feels like the whole thing is on a knife edge at the moment. I'd love to see a wide attacker and another player come in - someone like Fonte - not too expensive and would slot in without any fuss - well he'd know Lovren and Clyne wouldn't he!?

He's about 24 now surely? Holding on to someone valued at 12m (somehow) just to polay them in the early round of the cups is a bad strategy. If he was getting some PL game time or even being on the bench regularly, fair enough, but for someone who isn't playing at all it's a strange strategy to hold onto them. All the lip service in the world about how good they are makes no difference at all when the evidence suggests they are getting nowhere near the team this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,662 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I have no doubt their run will end some time , but will it end soon and will they drop as many points against the "lesser" teams after that as we did. ?
    Conte has a good squad in depth which we obviously don't ( in Klopps mind) or we would have seen some fringe players in the team for the Sunderland game.
    But I think we have a better team than arsenal or spurs but we need coutinio back firing soon

Liverpool have played the other current top 6 sides dropping 4 points out of a possible 15 (26%) while dropping 12 points against the rest (Soton, West Ham, Sunderland, Bournemouth) out of a potential 45 (26%)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Anyone else thinking a draw would suit us better than a Chelsea defeat tomorrow? Could do without Spurs being 2 points behind us IMHO. Both teams dropping points would be ideal.

Either a draw or a Chelsea win, don't need Spurs getting any closer than they are thank you.

Ya, a draw by far the best result. Anything else has a big negative along with the big positive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

A draw would be nicely, it would be as you were but the chasing pack would be closer to us.

The United game in 2 weeks is absolutely huge

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement