Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Either a draw or a Chelsea win, don't need Spurs getting any closer than they are thank you.

Why would anyone want a Chelsea win? If you're looking ahead rather than behind you then they are only 5 clear now and have to come to Anfield at the end of the month. If they drop points tomorrow and lose at Anfield they could be dragged right back into the chasing pack. A win at Spurs gives them a big cushion at the top.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Why would anyone want a Chelsea win? If you're looking ahead rather than behind you then they are only 5 clear now and have to come to Anfield at the end of the month. If they drop points tomorrow and lose at Anfield they could be dragged right back into the chasing pack. A win at Spurs gives them a big cushion at the top.
    +1

There is no reason for hoping that Chelsea get a point.

Ever!

Ever, ever, EVER!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Either a draw or a Chelsea win, don't need Spurs getting any closer than they are thank you.

Given up on our title aspirations after yesterday? Talk about knee-jerk!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

Being realistic we lack the strength in depth to get through our current injury crisis and keep in contention for the Title.Early in the season you could look at the bench and think we have options.We are down to eleven now again.Fifth is very close so i would be hoping for a Chelsea win also .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I never had any! The squad isn't deep enough

edit - what he said!

• Advertisement

sword1 wrote: »
    Being realistic we lack the strength in depth to get through our current injury crisis and keep in contention for the Title.Early in the season you could look at the bench and think we have options.We are down to eleven now again.Fifth is very close so i would be hoping for a Chelsea win also .

Madness.

Chelsea are not out of sight. Although they might be if they win tomorrow. Wanting a draw I could just about understand but a Chelsea win?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

13 points from the last 5 games tells me that we have enough to deal with injuries. We have a good players coming back. Our squad can take it.

Spurs/United/Arsenal/City will have Europe to deal with shortly. Us and Chelsea dont, thats a big advantage. Need Chelsea to start dropping points now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

I never had any! The squad isn't deep enough

edit - what he said!

Fair enough Mr. Wenger, sorry Palmr!

NukaCola wrote: »
    13 points from the last 5 games tells me that we have enough to deal with injuries. We have a good players coming back. Our squad can take it.

Spurs/United/Arsenal/City will have Europe to deal with shortly. Us and Chelsea dont, thats a big advantage. Need Chelsea to start dropping points now.

We have to be in the position to drop players that are off form like firmino, sign two first team starters and maybe we can stay in the title race but if we fail to get champions league again this year it will hamper our chances of attracting the signings we want and holding the players we have

We have to be in the position to drop players that are off form like firmino, sign two first team starters and maybe we can stay in the title race but if we fail to get champions league again this year it will hamper our chances of attracting the signings we want and holding the players we have

I get what your saying, basically you'd rather concentrate on keeping the gap from ourselves and 5th steady than worrying about Chelsea dropping points against top 4 rivals. Its actually not a terrible thing at all tbf.

But I'll remain positive. We are in a good position and as long as we are within 5 points of top spot I'll always hope whoever is on top will drop points.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

This is exactly why I took issue with Harry yesterday for spouting that 13 points from 5 games nonsense, now we have others quoting it as justification that our squad can handle injuries. :rolleyes:
    Well 14 points from 21 since Coutinho last started plus our bench over that period tells me that we don't have the squad to deal with injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Morzadec wrote: »
    Henderson .

Excellent post, I haven't noticed you around much, always a great contributor.

Anyway I knew he was good but those stats are insane good, fair play to him, he really is under appreciated I think by a lot of folks. He's stepping up and being our next Captain fantastic after Gerrard. He's got a terrific attitude and seems an all round nice guy, gotta love Hendo.

Pedro Chirivella is going to go on loan to Go Ahead Eagles for the rest of the season.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/liverpool-midfielder-pedro-chirivella-set-12401152#ICID=sharebar_twitter

Long way to go until we reach this point but it must be remembered as well that we have a very favourable run in on paper to end the season. Our last 8 games of the season are...

Bournemouth, Stoke, WBA, Palace, Watford, Southampton, West Ham, Middlesborough

Lots of sides there that won't have much to play for towards the end of the season. Won't get into Europe and probably won't be in danger of going down.

Meanwhile there will be a number of top 6 games during the same period.

Chelsea v City
    Man U v Chelsea
    Spurs v Arsenal
    Arsenal v Man U
    Spurs v Man U

Top 6 will drop points in those fixtures no matter what so important to just keep ticking along and put ourselves in a good a position to take advantage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I'm not even sure what's a favourable fixture for us to be honest. I'll be happy if we're in the Champion's League next season.

and where is the Go Ahead Eagles forum now eh?

Liverpool backing Matip v Cameroon in row

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/jan/03/joel-matip-liverpool-cameroon-africa-cup-of-nations-hugo-broos

and where is the Go Ahead Eagles forum now eh?
    Yeah, I had thought of that when I read the report:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,929 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

A Spurs win tomorrow and a few red cards and fights like the game last season and then maybe an PL points reduction for both teams would do.

Afobe blocked from playing tonight because he refused to go to the AFCON.

So we have week or so to see if Matip can get away from being banned.

mormank wrote: »
    This is exactly why I took issue with Harry yesterday for spouting that 13 points from 5 games nonsense, now we have others quoting it as justification that our squad can handle injuries. :rolleyes:
    Well 14 points from 21 since Coutinho last started plus our bench over that period tells me that we don't have the squad to deal with injuries.

Spouting nonsense and a roll eyes........why would I bother even replying?......

I took 5 games as that is the busiest schedule for our squad of the year, not sure what Harrys post was tbh. 14 points from 7 games is 2 ppg, if every team that loses key players can handle that then I think they'd be happy enough. :rolleyes::rolleyes: I wouldn't attribute dropping points directly to Coutinho absence anyway, are we a one man team all of a sudden?

Obviously if we lose more key players we will be in trouble, but as I said I'll stay optimistic. Over 20 games we are doing extremely well and I think the squad in that period has handle injurys well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Long way to go until we reach this point but it must be remembered as well that we have a very favourable run in on paper to end the season. Our last 8 games of the season are...

Bournemouth, Stoke, WBA, Palace, Watford, Southampton, West Ham, Middlesborough

Lots of sides there that won't have much to play for towards the end of the season. Won't get into Europe and probably won't be in danger of going down.

Meanwhile there will be a number of top 6 games during the same period.

Chelsea v City
    Man U v Chelsea
    Spurs v Arsenal
    Arsenal v Man U
    Spurs v Man U

Top 6 will drop points in those fixtures no matter what so important to just keep ticking along and put ourselves in a good a position to take advantage.

We have the best run in of all the top 6 teams 10 home and 8 away. Against top 6 teams 3 at home and 2 away. A great manager who knows what he is doing and a bunch of players that believe in what he is doing. I don't believe we will win the league but I'd be very surprised if we didn't get top 4. Apart from the city game and possibly the utd game we have done enough to win every match we have played. The evidence is there for long enough we have a very good team.

mormank wrote: »

As mentioned, that's 2ppg without coutinho & with firmino being not at his best and over the congested Christmas period.

We might well be over the worst :)

It takes a lot to fall right to win a PL but we are in with a shout.

We could end this as a discussion with a couple of well judged buys.

Holy crap, it's all happening in the Bournemouth game

Coutinho was out but we averaged 2 goals a game since he was out. We could have used him obviously but the goals didn't exactly dry up either. Using his absence as a justification of lack of squad depth is not entirely fair either IMO.

I'm not saying we dont need bodies, just that we can deal with a few absences that usually happen to every squad, generally you cant really account for an injury crisis unfortunately......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

They'll Arsenal it worse than we Arsenal'd it against Bournemouth.

Nah, they don't have the chance now unless they score 4 goals and then lose!

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I thought you had a rule about shutting up in situations like this? Arsenal always come back in these games anyhow. 2-0 is just a slightly bigger tease for everyone else.

That was the cat.

cat-on-typewriter.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

The game time Origi got in Coutinhos absence will be beneficial for him long term. Klopp has said he'll only buy players if he thinks they're well above the standard of our younger lads. We won't be buying just for the sake of numbers. If we buy someone it'll be because they're a long term target.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Stewart should be getting game time
    We have had many a game won early this season
    Should be on with 30 mins left in those game
    He's worth 20m with games under his belt
    Sell in summer for 20m with buy back clause

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,953 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Surely if Matip doesn't want to play for Cameroon anymore he could just retire internationally and avoid all this trouble.

Surely if Matip doesn't want to play for Cameroon anymore he could just retire internationally and avoid all this trouble.

He can retire right now but they can still withhold his international clearance to play club football as they named him in the squad.

Matip will probably win any case taken to FIFA over this as he made his stance on International football over a year ago but it could still drag on knowing FIFA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

Arsenal dropping 3 points would be a nice tonic to the sunderland game. And before tomorrows game too.

eyerer wrote: »
    Arsenal dropping 3 points would be a nice tonic to the sunderland game. And before tomorrows game too.

Arsenal way too good to not win, they will turn this around no problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

please dont post up fixture lists and points expectations from those games,for the love of god,there is no bigger jinx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,953 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

I agree, they seem to find their way out in these games, but even a draw would be nice.

please dont post up fixture lists and points expectations from those games,for the love of god,there is no bigger jinx

I expect us to get 4 points from the last 8 games.

The-old-reverse.jpg

I agree, they seem to find their way out in these games, but even a draw would be nice.

Ozil is a big loss to them

Ozil is a big loss to them

Definitely, these are the games he turns up for alright...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Definitely, these are the games he turns up for alright...

For those wondering what a back handed compliment is,I give you the above.
    A textbook example.

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

They won't be turning it around now.

Well played Nuka.

Bournemouth are exciting at both ends

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭MentalMario

Stewart should be getting game time
    We have had many a game won early this season
    Should be on with 30 mins left in those game
    He's worth 20m with games under his belt
    Sell in summer for 20m with buy back clause

If Kev Stewart is worth 20 million, the world is ****ed.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Well played Nuka.

I always suspected I was on ignore for some people, didn't think you were one. Oh well.

Wenger's going to need to use one of his subs to force Bournemouth to bring on Wilshere so he can salvage something here.

5starpool wrote: »
    I always suspected I was on ignore for some people, didn't think you were one. Oh well.

I've had you on ignore since you rubbished the idea of me being a mod. ;)

*thats a joke for anyone who might take it out of context

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Arsenal fans are generally known for under reacting so itll be interesting to see their response to this.

Comeback is on now anyhow.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement