Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

I'd be very careful in making any suggestion that we will not be less potent without Mane for the next while. The squad still lacks pace and physicality even with Mane in it.

I dont believe United will come and attack us from the start in that game in any gung-ho fashion but i think they will control a lot of the game.

We wont be in our best shape, no Mane, Phil not match fit, a few other niggles and obvious issues at the back. On the other hand, if Sturridge can put a shift in for 90, Matip goes back in, who knows.

I'd be happy enough to move on with a point from that game considering the above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭hadepsx

Klopp will play his game.

Jose can't afford to go anti football at home against Liverpool with Alex and Bobby in the stand.

This is Jose. I wouldn't put it past him to park the bus, try score via a corner or set piece,then keep it at that.Then you'll have the usual gob****es saying they played us off the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Delighted with tonight's result, shows that Chelsea can be beaten, will drop points and can be caught.

No reason why Liverpool can't go for this title. If we can cut out our habit of throwing away leads against 'lesser' teams then we're in with a shout.

As for the clamour for signings, I don't get the urgency.

Next league game is against Utd on the 15th and we should have Coutinho and Matip back then. I would imagine Henderson , Milner and Sturridge should be fine too. So the main loss for league games this month is Mane which we'll just have to manage without for a couple of games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Was watching that game with two Utd fans. Went from Utd will finish second to Utd will win the league within 90 mins.
    Chelsea are useless as well after that game. Liverpool be lucky to finis 5th.

Well I've got 25 quid riding on us finishing higher than Utd this season with a utd fan mate of mine and another 25 on the game at Old Trafford. You haave no idea how much I'm hoping we go there and do a number on them but it being sandwiched in between two League cup semis against Southampton is far from ideal. :(

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

daithijjj wrote: »
    I'd be very careful in making any suggestion that we will not be less potent without Mane for the next while. The squad still lacks pace and physicality even with Mane in it.

I dont believe United will come and attack us from the start in that game in any gung-ho fashion but i think they will control a lot of the game.

We wont be in our best shape, no Mane, Phil not match fit, a few other niggles and obvious issues at the back. On the other hand, if Sturridge can put a shift in for 90, Matip goes back in, who knows.

I'd be happy enough to move on with a point from that game considering the above.

Yep, Utd rightly favourites for the game, but not overwhelming by any means. They will control the ball a lot, but we showed against City that we have the capacity to be tight and play a different shape against the better teams when we have to. It's a pity Mane won't be available to exploit the spaces in the big OT pitch,but hopefully we will be able to get at them properly anyhow, which I think we will.

I wouldn't take a point now if offered (as if it were possible), but it would still be a very decent result if we got a point. We can certainly win the game, but it will be a very difficult proposition against a Utd team with their tails up in recent weeks. They could well beat us, but it would be so satisfying to shut them up again for a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

It's a top 5 race now
    Anyone that can win 8 on bounce will go top

It's a top 5 race now

You discounting Utd Toby?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

It's a top 5 race now

If we win 8 on the bounce and Chelsea only win 7 out of 8 they still stay top.

You slipping Toby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Are any of you seriously convinced that this current Liverpool team is good enough to win the Premiership title let alone be competitive at Champions League level? I think Klopp can be regarded as an improver of teams but not some new managerial messiah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

v0065_s-200x150.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

chicorytip wrote: »
    Are any of you seriously convinced that this current Liverpool team is good enough to win the Premiership title let alone be competitive at Champions League level? I think Klopp can be regarded as an improver of teams but not some new managerial messiah.

who do you think will win it.

Personally I'm onboard with anything he wants to do at the minute. Will it be enough for us to win the league this season? Probably not, but we've got a very good chance still. I'd rather be where we are than utd at the minute, even with their bigger squad as we have more points simply put. Also, I'd take 1/10th of Klopp over all of Mourinho any day of the week. He may turn out to be yet another nearly (or possibly not even that near) man for Liverpool, but I'm glad he;s in charge of us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

You know they're getting worried when they have to come in here. :D

Turtyturd wrote: »
    You know they're getting worried when they have to come in here. :D

I don't think he is a utd fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I think we'd likely have to win our next 10 in a row to still be top going into the end of the season.
    We might go top if we were to beat Chelsea at the end of the month but there'll be plenty more tooing and froing.

So the question would then be, can we do that (I'm skeptical) and then, can we match Chelsea in what remains as well.

Assuming Chelsea don't totally fall off a cliff you're looking at us needing 45/54 in the remaining games - something like 14 wins 3 draws and a loss.

Looking at lost ground... Bournemouth, Sunderland in particular... do you think this squad has 8-game winning streaks in it?
    Do you think it has the capacity to go 20 games undefeated?

It really doesn't look like that calibre of squad to me.
    On the day you always feel like you can win but that's the same of every game you don't win throughout every season of football.
    You can always point out reasons after the fact but I think you just need more quality than we have for these bumps in the road not to mount up to crippling a title challenge, particularly when you're aiming for near-perfection.

Tonight's a nice boon and vaguely keeps the dream alive, but I think we're pretty much squeezing everything we can out of this squad at the moment and we're on course for 84 points and probably 2nd, with a decent bit of cushioning us from dropping out of the top 4.

If we win 8 on the bounce and Chelsea only win 7 out of 8 they still stay top.

You slipping Toby.

Yea
    But what I mean is there are games on paper where 8 games are possible to win
    Chelsea's last 6 were easy games. We will not win next 8, neither will Chelsea.
    Our last 9 games of season. We win them on paper if nothing else.
    That could be our saving grace. If gap is 5 going into last 9 we'd win if we win the 9.
    Chelsea could never win last 9. If they did they'd deserve title.

Chelsea play first next round, and Leicester's home record is great, they are the Champions.
    It's a tv game also, which brings the best out in Leicester. They will be up for that as will crowd. If they lose them gap will only be two when we beat united 0-5.

We'd be over achieving to win the league, or even to finish top 4 based on what most thought at the start of the season. Keeping most players fit (which we're not great at) is key though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

5starpool wrote: »
    We'd be over achieving to win the league, or even to finish top 4 based on what most thought at the start of the season. Keeping most players fit (which we're not great at) is key though.

Finishing top 4 is not overachieving. I expect us to finish top 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

J Mysterio wrote: »

I'm sure he meant at the start of the season top 4 would be overachieving, of course it wouldn't be now, we're probably odds on to do so albeit I have not checked the bookies prices.

• Advertisement

J Mysterio wrote: »

If you did so at the start of the season, genuinely, then you were not in the majority. There were quite a few who did probably, but I didn't think we'd have enough. I'd be disappointed now not to though, but it's too close yet for comfort.

Top 4 this season will/would be a fantastic achievement for us.

It would /will also be an over achievement even accepting we had no European involvement.

We play with a midfielder at lwb & more often than not 3 AMs as our strike force.

We also have GK ers that aren't great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,953 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Much like in 13/14 top 4 is the goal, but we're achieving that and then some right now so why not strive for greatness while we can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Leicester just topped their group in the Champions League. I think we'd manage to do OK should we get there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

ardinn wrote: »

Was honestly expecting that to be the Kate Cohen article lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Yea
    But what I mean is there are games on paper where 8 games are possible to win
    Chelsea's last 6 were easy games. We will not win next 8, neither will Chelsea.
    Our last 9 games of season. We win them on paper if nothing else.
    That could be our saving grace. If gap is 5 going into last 9 we'd win if we win the 9.
    Chelsea could never win last 9. If they did they'd deserve title.

You dont win games on paper. Each team has played just over half it's games, trying to garner some sort of advantage out of the fixture list at this stage is a bit of a reach. It's simply at the stage where the best team will win at this stage. Liverpool have as much to worry about from the 4 teams within 5 points below them as they do the one 5 points ahead.

I see no reason why they wouldn't be throwing money at some high quality targets this month. If it was me I'd have tried to have some at least very far along by now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Augeo wrote: »
    Top 4 this season will/would be a fantastic achievement for us.

It would /will also be an over achievement even accepting we had no European involvement.

We play with a midfielder at lwb & more often than not 3 AMs as our strike force.

We also have GK ers that aren't great.

Thing is that we're in with a great shout.

Also, when you look at the fixtures after March. We have then played all opponents in top 6.
    Last 9 games are all very winnable (I know) and if we're still in the hunt at that stage then we have a great chance as the other teams all still have to play each other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

The U23s were playing Bangor Town tonight in the last of their friendlies before the League gets back running

It was a rout in the end 6-0 with a goal from Toni Gomes, a Harry Wilson brace and a Jack Dunn hat-trick. Ojo went off at HT, hopefully he'll be in the FA Cup squad

8-min hattrick for Dunn off the bench. Also a 19-year old centre half from Coventry played in the game on trial (will need to replace Ilori and Sakho soon enough) named Cian Harries. Was convinced with that name he'd be Irish but nope!

brevity wrote: »

For anyone wondering it's the post match questions regarding Mane and the hand ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Was watching that game with two Utd fans. Went from Utd will finish second to Utd will win the league within 90 mins.
    Chelsea are useless as well after that game. Liverpool be lucky to finis 5th.

The thing is United hold the record for reeling in a team to win the league from being 12 points behind.
    It will all be pointless if United do not beat Liverpool.

RobertKK wrote: »
    The thing is United hold the record for reeling in a team to win the league from being 12 points behind.................

That experience will no doubt really stand to the Utd squad this season and really be crucial in the run in.

The thing is United hold the record for reeling in a team to win the league from being 12 points behind.
    It will all be pointless if United do not beat Liverpool.

What difference is that going to make to the current squad or the squads of all the teams they are chasing. Fair enough if it happened last season.

That experience will no doubt really stand to the Utd squad this season and really be crucial in the run in.

It'll be counteracted by Liverpool's experience of closing out the league title many times as well.

• Advertisement

What difference is that going to make to the current squad or the squads of all the teams they are chasing. Fair enough if it happened last season.

It is like history, there is the saying history repeating itself.
    Look at Liverpool in 2005, news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/funny_old_game/4449773.stm

10 points is not insurmountable with 18 matches to go, as Souness said United are still in the title race.
    The United/Liverpool game is huge for both clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

When was the last time Mourinho, Manchester United or any of the United players involved in a title race which they reeled in a team from a 12 point lead to win the league?

I wouldn't rule them out of course, but I wouldn't throw money on them. For them to win it they need to outperform 5 teams above them while also closing a 10 point gap.

It is like history, there is the saying history repeating itself.
    Look at Liverpool in 2005, news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/funny_old_game/4449773.stm

10 points is not insurmountable with 18 matches to go, as Souness said United are still in the title race.
    The United/Liverpool game is huge for both clubs.

Of course its possible but the fact utd closed a 12 pt gap years ago will have no bearing on this seasons title run in. I'd also imagine utd weren't 6th the season they closed the 12 pt gap. Utd are doing well at the moment but so are most of the other top 6. Its easy to look at your own team and then forget about how the other teams are doing. I'd imagine Chelsea Liverpool and spurs fans are also feeling pretty happy right now. I know utd have won 6 in a row and that's great but really I'd have expected them to get a minimum of 14 pts from those fixtures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭6am7f9zxrsjvnb

It's a top 5 race now

Good point...Arsenal have no backbone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

I think we really need to beat utd or they will be right back in it , the fixtures after us are decent for them and I suspect they would get serious momentum and self belief from a win against us .

• Advertisement

Of course its possible but the fact utd closed a 12 pt gap years ago will have no bearing on this seasons title run in. I'd also imagine utd weren't 6th the season they closed the 12 pt gap. Utd are doing well at the moment but so are most of the other top 6. Its easy to look at your own team and then forget about how the other teams are doing. I'd imagine Chelsea Liverpool and spurs fans are also feeling pretty happy right now. I know utd have won 6 in a row and that's great but really I'd have expected them to get a minimum of 14 pts from those fixtures.

It is all about belief and knowing what is possible and not possible.
    United are currently the top team form wise.
    The confidence has to be high, the turn around in the Middlesbrough game only enhanced it.
    All any team can do is win their next PL game, Liverpool will want to get back to winning ways and United will want to keep their winning streak going.
    Look Chelsea are vulnerable at the back, and have started to concede goals unlike earlier in the season.
    Some people were near prepared to hand them the trophy.
    We will see in a month's time where everyone stands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

I think we really need to beat utd or they will be right back in it , the fixtures after us are decent for them and I suspect they would get serious momentum and self belief from a win against us .

That's what i'm worried about, a win or draw for UTD would be a massive morale boost for them.

Good news for us is that we've a good few of the top 6 to play at Anfield still.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

The confidence has to be high, the turn around in the Middlesbrough game only enhanced it.
    All any team can do is win their next PL game, Liverpool will want to get back to winning ways and United will want to keep their winning streak going.
    Look Chelsea are vulnerable at the back, and have started to concede goals unlike earlier in the season.
    You could easily say Man Utd are too reliant on Ibrahimovic for goals. If he gets injured or loses form Man Utd could be in trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Personally, I think United beat us, and I'll be avoiding the inevitable meltdown here afterwards.

Start of the season I thought we'd be doing very well to challenge for top 4, and by and large, I still think the same. We've done remarkably well and I enjoy watching us play, but we're obviously far from the finished article.

I look forward to seeing how the season pans out, but I certainly don't hold any expectations of a sustained title challenge, to be very honest. I would, however, be disappointed to see us fail to get top 4 now, considering the position we've put ourselves in, but I wouldn't actually be massively surprised.

NukaCola wrote: »
    When was the last time Mourinho, Manchester United or any of the United players involved in a title race which they reeled in a team from a 12 point lead to win the league?

I wouldn't rule them out of course, but I wouldn't throw money on them. For them to win it they need to outperform 5 teams above them while also closing a 10 point gap.

Jose bought the right players in terms of mentality for winning.
    Pogba has been winning titles in Italy and Zlatan is going for his 9th league title in a row or his 14th league title in 16 years.
    That winning mentality along with Jose who knows about winning has been brought into the club.
    Over the last 6 games which is where most have for form stats United have gained the following points on the other top 6:
    Arsenal 8
    City 6
    Liverpool 4
    Spurs 3
    Chelsea 3

Who knows what the future brings, but United have recently being outperforming their rivals.
    The next big test for United is Liverpool.
    That is such a massive game for both clubs. A draw is a bit meh, a win for either is just so massive.

There are loads of twists and turns to come and its far from being Chelsea's title. The problem with just focusing on the last 6 games is that it doesn't take into account the fixtures and circumstances each team had to face in those games. As I said utd have done really well and have probably gained 4 pts more than expected in that period.

Over the last 6 games which is where most have for form stats United have gained the following points on the other top 6:
    Arsenal 10
    City 6
    Liverpool 4
    Spurs 3
    Chelsea 3..........................

You've obviously just picked that period as Utd have won their last 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Jose bought the right players in terms of mentality for winning.
    Pogba has been winning titles in Italy and Zlatan is going for his 9th league title in a row or his 14th league title in 16 years.
    That winning mentality along with Jose who knows about winning has been brought into the club.
    Arsenal 10
    City 6
    Liverpool 4
    Spurs 3
    Chelsea 3

Who knows what the future brings, but United have recently being outperforming their rivals.
    The next big test for United is Liverpool.
    That is such a massive game for both clubs. A draw is a bit meh, a win for either is just so massive.

I don't mean to be pedantic, but it's 8 points gained on Arsenal not 10.

I don't mean to be pedantic, but it's 8 points gained on Arsenal not 10.

Thank you I was thinking of the 10 out of 18 you gained and wrote 10 instead of 8.

You've obviously just picked that period as Utd have won their last 6.

I do use this site:

http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/premier-league/form-guide.html

btw the same was said to me in the United thread earlier in the week.

The thing is the top 4 in form are arguably the best teams anyway right now, and have a good chance of being the 4 that get the CL spots.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement