Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

sword1 wrote: »
    Thought you were gone

If you thought I was gone then why did you quote me?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

Jayop wrote: »
    What a load of rubbish.

The team not having a backbone and being unable to hold onto a lead late in games was what cost us, not Jose's ego. If that's the level of debate to be had in here then I'll be making my way out again.

ta-ra

You said you were going and just because you do does not mean the discussion has to stop,your logic is that when the most expensive team ever bought lose it is because they have no backbone but when the same players win it is because of mourinho brilliance

Ta-ra yourself(whatever that means)

You said you were going and just because you do does not mean the discussion has to stop,your logic is that when the most expensive team ever bought lose it is because they have no backbone but when the same players win it is because of mourinho brilliance

Ta-ra yourself(whatever that means)

Your obsession with the cost of players is quite funny.

The players have had little backbone for a few years now, most likely as a result of 3 years of mediocrity from the dug outs. Of course it's going to take a new manager a few months to instill a different mindset.

So when Liverpool were slinking to 9th last season was it Klopps fault then, or was it just because it was taking him time to instill his ideas upon the players? Naturally it's the later, but for some reason a few of you guys are happy to agree that it was the case with Klopp but you don't have the cop to admit that it's pretty much exactly the same thing with Jose this year. The similarities are actually such that it's quite amazing that you either can't see them or just refuse to admit them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Rezident

chicorytip wrote: »
    I think most neutrals would agree, though, that Manchester United have by far the most talented and best balanced squad of the leading contenders.

Not at all, City have a better squad, Chelsea have a more balanced team and Liverpool and Arsenal are playing better football. Actually, I'd say Spurs have a better squad than Man Yoo now. Man Yoo have some lovely footballers like Ibra and Mata but Pogba and a few others haven't really done it yet while I don't consider the likes of Carrick to be as good as the players at any of the other contenders. Rashford looks really good too but they don't even seem to start him. Also, it is difficult for creative players like Mata when the manager is so negative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Mane came third in the African player of the year awards last night.

Mahrez won it and Aubameyang was second.

Yaya explodes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

Has anything been said about Henderson.
    There was a rumour that he'll be out for the rest of the season but nothing has been confirmed by the club.

Your obsession with the cost of players is quite funny.

The players have had little backbone for a few years now, most likely as a result of 3 years of mediocrity from the dug outs. Of course it's going to take a new manager a few months to instill a different mindset.

So when Liverpool were slinking to 9th last season was it Klopps fault then, or was it just because it was taking him time to instill his ideas upon the players? Naturally it's the later, but for some reason a few of you guys are happy to agree that it was the case with Klopp but you don't have the cop to admit that it's pretty much exactly the same thing with Jose this year. The similarities are actually such that it's quite amazing that you either can't see them or just refuse to admit them.

You just said they were 7 th with the same amount of games played.I am not going checking but they are totally different situations, mourinho is playing with some players he signed,klopp wasn't. Mourinho left Chelsea with much the same squad as they have now.Look how that is going. Whilst i might be a bit anti you are overly pro.Everything he touches is not gold and if i could be bothered looking up your history most united fans said plenty bad about him when he was Chelsea manager

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

I like Jurgen Klopp he seems a really nice guy. No ego, even mocking his own interview after the Sunderland game. Fair play to him.

I don't think you need to be a cúnt to be successful but sometimes it helps. I think some popular managers have failed because when things got really tough they couldn't switch to a more ruthless approach or weren't taken seriously when they did.

Klopp seems to be able to lay down the law when necessary so far but he hasn't had to deal with the some of the biggest problems his predecessors had yet.

You just said they were 7 th with the same amount of games played.I am not going checking but they are totally different situations, mourinho is playing with some players he signed,klopp wasn't. Mourinho left Chelsea with much the same squad as they have now.Look how that is going. Whilst i might be a bit anti you are overly pro.Everything he touches is not gold and if i could be bothered looking up your history most united fans said plenty bad about him when he was Chelsea manager

Where am I being overly pro?? Go on, point out something outrageous I've said in this conversation?

Jose has taken about 14 league games to get this team playing the way he wants. Yes he had a transfer window and that was an advantage that Klopp didn't have last year. Really though that's it. The two situations are very comparable after that.

That's really all I'm saying. Someone here said he's the "worst manager" because we're in 6th. I was pointing out that it's a strange thing to say given you were in 7th after 20 Klopp games. Surely if he's the bestest manager in the league as is the consensus in here then with the quality players he had at his disposal (another consenus here) he'd have been able to at least match the "worst manager" in the league.

Nowhere here have I said Jose is the best, is the greatest, is amazing. I've simply asked how can he be the worst for being in pretty much the same situation now as your manager who is supposed to be the best was last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

After 20 PL games in charge of Liverpool (GW 27 in the league) Klopp had driven Liverpool to the dizzying heights of 9th in the league.

Your logical corollary seems to change depending on Liverpools league position.

https://www.premierleague.com/tables?co=1&se=42&mw=1-27&ha=-1

No you are forgetting the part where ye unquestionable have the strongest squad in the Premier League "by far" . SO unless you are saying that Klopp unquestionably had the best squad in the Premier League for his first 20 games his logic is just fine. Check mate! :D

• Advertisement

Where am I being overly pro?? Go on, point out something outrageous I've said in this conversation?

Jose has taken about 14 league games to get this team playing the way he wants. Yes he had a transfer window and that was an advantage that Klopp didn't have last year. Really though that's it. The two situations are very comparable after that.

That's really all I'm saying. Someone here said he's the "worst manager" because we're in 6th. I was pointing out that it's a strange thing to say given you were in 7th after 20 Klopp games. Surely if he's the bestest manager in the league as is the consensus in here then with the quality players he had at his disposal (another consenus here) he'd have been able to at least match the "worst manager" in the league.

Nowhere here have I said Jose is the best, is the greatest, is amazing. I've simply asked how can he be the worst for being in pretty much the same situation now as your manager who is supposed to be the best was last year.

We will have to agree to disagree, i am sure one of us will be proven right but i will not feel the urge to go around to the threads of other clubs fans to defend our manager as his results and conduct whether good or bad will do that ,have more important plans for the evening so have a good one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

I didn't notice that.

You won the next game and so would have moved up to 7th, 15 points off the league leaders and 6 points off 4th place.

My points stands.

utd were joint first in Jose's first game he dropped them to sixth

Pool were 10th when El Kloppo took over and increased to 7th after 20 games

Not sure your point stands

Talisman wrote: »
    There was a rumour that he'll be out for the rest of the season but nothing has been confirmed by the club.

Big loss if true, Wij, Can & lallana can't midfield 3 the rest of the season you'd think.

mormank wrote: »
    No you are forgetting the part where ye unquestionable have the strongest squad in the Premier League "by far" in your own words. SO unless you are saying that Klopp unquestionably had the best squad in the Premier League for his first 20 games his logic is just fine. Check mate! :D

Where did I say this?

Regardless of whether I believe we have the best squad in the league, you can be damn sure the guy who said Jose was the "worst manager" doesn't believe it. I'm giving Jose some praise for getting us back on track, I am critical of him for not doing it sooner and I think some of the poor early results were his fault. I do think we've got an excellent squad also.

That's all neither here nor there though. As I've said over and over again, my only main point is to say that there are clear comparisons between what happened Klopp last season and hat happened Jose this season. Both came in, took a while to get the results going there way, but both had the team playing in a way you could see clear improvements even if the results weren't good.

I'm complimenting Klopp, and while I don't expect you guys to do the same with Jose, I do think calling him the "worst manager" for being in a better position that your manager last season is moronic.

utd were joint first in Jose's first game he dropped them to sixth

Pool were 10th when El Kloppo took over and increased to 7th after 20 games

Not sure your point stands

Jose earned 39 points in his first 20 games.
    Klopp earned 30 points in his first 20 games.

Again, I'm not saying Jose is better, he did have a preseason. I'm simply saying that our league position right now doesn't equate to him being the "worst manager" as was the accusation.

Is this really that hard for you to understand?

Didn't Jose have a full pre season to prepare? Kind of a huge thing to leave out wouldn't ya say?
    Also pretty much all of my mates who follow football including my utd supporting mates have already told me they would love Klopp as their manager so don't bother pretending it's just us deluded Liverpool fans who love him. Tbh I don't really care who anyone else thinks is the best, I will say this tho, Klopp is the most entertaining manager in the PL and given that football is meant to be entertainment first I'll happily take that for now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Jaysus, I hate the word triggered but good call in this case.

Didn't Jose have a full pre season to prepare? Kind of a huge thing to leave out wouldn't ya say?
    Also pretty much all of my mates who follow football including my utd supporting mates have already told me they would love Klopp as their manager so don't bother pretending it's just us deluded Liverpool fans who love him. Tbh I don't really care who anyone else thinks is the best, I will say this tho, Klopp is the most entertaining manager in the PL and given that football is meant to be entertainment first I'll happily take that for now.

Christ do you just look for the parts of posts that you think is what I'm saying instead of reading the full posts.

Falsehood No1
    I've complimented Klopp over the past few pages on several occasions. He's an excellent manager and when you got him there was a twinge of jealousy although I'm quite happy with who we have now.

Falsehood No2
    Again, I've accepted and commented on the fact that Jose had a preseason and allowed for that. Again, I'm not trying to say that Jose is better in this conversation, just that he's not the "worst manager" because we're in 6th.

Where did I say this?

Regardless of whether I believe we have the best squad in the league, you can be damn sure the guy who said Jose was the "worst manager" doesn't believe it. I'm giving Jose some praise for getting us back on track, I am critical of him for not doing it sooner and I think some of the poor early results were his fault. I do think we've got an excellent squad also.

That's all neither here nor there though. As I've said over and over again, my only main point is to say that there are clear comparisons between what happened Klopp last season and hat happened Jose this season. Both came in, took a while to get the results going there way, but both had the team playing in a way you could see clear improvements even if the results weren't good.

I'm complimenting Klopp, and while I don't expect you guys to do the same with Jose, I do think calling him the "worst manager" for being in a better position that your manager last season is moronic.

Aaaah I was confusing you with another utd fan that was posting here earlier. The same guy that the poster you replied to replied to. This other Utd fan said that Utd unquestionably had the best squad in the PL. To which the other poster replied that if ye had the best squad by far then it must be the manager holding ye back if ye are only in 6th with the best squad by far. That's all he was saying and of course it was tongue in cheek. Hope you followed all that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Jose earned 39 points in his first 20 games.
    Klopp earned 30 points in his first 20 games.

Again, I'm not saying Jose is better, he did have a preseason.

A pre-season and also spent the GDP of a small country. Like comparing apples and oranges really. At the end of the day they are both tasty in different ways.

• Advertisement

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Jaysus, I hate the word triggered but good call in this case.

What so having a reasonable debate (or at least trying to) is now triggered?:rolleyes:

A pre-season and also spent the GDP of a small country. Like comparing apples and oranges really.

It's really not at all.

Klopp came in, we all know he's a great manger, took over a team that bar a few changes had been challenging for the title a year and a bit back and struggled for the first few months.

Jose came in, took over a team that's struggled in the league for 3 years and he found it hard to get us playing consistently for 14 games.

How you can call one the worst manager and one the best manager without a hint of irony is beyond me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

Like comparing apples and oranges really.

I'd prefer to focus on our own crop personally.

Sure feck United and their apples. No good ever really comes of these kind of debates.
    We are where we are and they are where they are.......... A few branches below us at the mo. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

It's really not at all.

Having a pre-season and a lot of money to spend on top of it is a big difference if you're comparing the first 6 months or so, two managers spend at a club. There's just no way around that.

So then, net spend.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

It's a bit off to say klopp took over a team that challenged for the title only a year and a bit back, considering Suarez was lost and Rodgers had clearly struggled with them for quite a while before Klopp took over.

Having a pre-season and a lot of money to spend on top of it is a big difference if you're comparing the first 6 months or so, two managers spend at a club. There's just no way around that.

OK then, so Jose is the "worst manager" because he had a few bad results in his first 14 games?

Aaaah I was confusing you with another utd fan that was posting here earlier. The same guy that the poster you replied to replied to. This other Utd fan said that Utd unquestionably had the best squad in the PL. To which the other poster replied that if ye had the best squad by far then it must be the manager holding ye back if ye are only in 6th with the best squad by far. That's all he was saying and of course it was tongue in cheek. Hope you followed all that.

Is this the post you mean?
    chicorytip wrote: »
    I think most neutrals would agree, though, that Manchester United have by far the most talented and best balanced squad of the leading contenders.

If so then I think that that guy is a Liverpool fan going by his posting history. I had assumed it at the start and assumed that that ^^ post was tongue in cheek.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,394 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

After 20 PL games in charge of Liverpool (GW 27 in the league) Klopp had driven Liverpool to the dizzying heights of 9th in the league.

Your logical corollary seems to change depending on Liverpools league position.

https://www.premierleague.com/tables?co=1&se=42&mw=1-27&ha=-1

I'm only seeing this now so wanted to respond.

In fairness Klopp started during the season and didn't buy any players so none of his own players to work with or any preseason to get his ideas across.

Jose had a full preseason and bought 4 players in Ibra, Pogba, Bailey and Mickyryan.

So it's not really comparing like for like with the first 20 games.

Edit: conversation seems to have moved on quite a bit.

It's also worth noting that Klopp was new to the PL whereas Jose already knows the ins and outs.

I also see a good few posts in the United thread (not recently) saying no-one bar maybe Mane would get into the United starting 11, who wasn't even here for Klopps first 20 games. Obviously then that means United have a much stronger team than Liverpool so should be doing better over the managers first 20 games (and obviously the season)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,041 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

If so then I think that that guy is a Liverpool fan going by his posting history. I had assumed it at the start and assumed that that ^^ post was tongue in cheek.

I'm not sure he actively shows any allegiance on here, just enjoys stirring the pot of whichever thread he finds himself in. A prompter of discussion, if you will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    A prompter of discussion, if you will.
    Lol :D

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Who cares how Klopp did in his first 20 games? This time next season (Assuming Mourinho is still at Utd) no one will care how he did in his first 20 games really.

Mourinho has obviously won lots of things as a manager, and the record can't be argued with, but what also can't be argued with is that he doesn't do long stints at clubs. He was at Chelsea a couple of months into his 4th season the first time when he was sacked, and this was the longest he was at a club. It all seems to go wrong after at most 3 years. Whether this happens at Utd remains to be seen, but I personally can't stand the man, and have felt that way for many years. Becoming utd manager only intensified that.

My opinion on him means nothing though, and obviously utd are looking far better now than they were 2-3 months ago, and much better than they have been since Ferguson left. With the financial muscle utd have it will be a massive disappointment for them to not finish in the CL positions, and will have financial implications too in terms of the Adidas deal as well as the CL money. Liverpool missing out this season would be a massive disappointment as well given how they have performed so far this season, but less of a surprise looking at things from the start of the season.

Comparing Klopp's first 20 games in charge with Utd's first 20 games is really apples and oranges though in my view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Bloody hell it's gonna be a long 9 days until the Man Utd game if today is anything to go on.

Bloody hell it's gonna be a long 9 days until the Man Utd game if today is anything to go on.

Fear not when Liverpool are bundled out of the FA Cup and lose the first leg of the League Cup semi 3-1 they'll be plenty to discuss - "has Klopp lost the plot playing the kids" followed by "is he running his players into the ground"

I'm not sure he actively shows any allegiance on here, just enjoys stirring the pot of whichever thread he finds himself in. A prompter of discussion, if you will.

Possibly never noticed the name before but looked back and his posts for the last while and a few were in here. Jumped to conclusions I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Talisman wrote: »

That would be a disaster if true.

That would be a disaster if true.

Who is this we're talking about here?

Who is this we're talking about here?

Hendo

Hendo

Thanks.

Never heard a dickeybird about anything like that. Raised a bit of a flag when I heard it was his "heal" coz he's had similar problems before but I wouldn't worry too much. Usually if it's something season ending it comes out in the wash pretty fast these days.
    Probably just nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Worst thing about Hendo's injury is that it's his other heel, not the one with plantar fasciitis. If he has too bad heels, that's a big worry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,041 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Thanks.

Never heard a dickeybird about anything like that. Raised a bit of a flag when I heard it was his "heal" coz he's had similar problems before but I wouldn't worry too much. Usually if it's something season ending it comes out in the wash pretty fast these days.
    Probably just nonsense.

Hoping its just a bit of scaremongering. At least in his press conference, Klopp specifically said that thankfully there were no 'real' injuries over these games, when talking about the little niggles to Milner etc.

Hoping its just a bit of scaremongering. At least in his press conference, Klopp specifically said that thankfully there were no 'real' injuries over these games, when talking about the little niggles to Milner etc.

Yeah I highly doubt it's anything to worry about. He's on the offy site doing an interview released an hour ago as well and there's not a bean about the injury being bad anywhere.
    You know how it is these days with rumours via internet, he'll be in the squad versus southampton imo.

Worst thing about all this is that I mis-spelled the word "heel" and stuck feckin inverted commas on it just to show what a tit I am :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Sakho is saying something on Facebook about being back on the pitch soon?

Shock return to the team on Sunday:p

Yeah I highly doubt it's anything to worry about. He's on the offy site doing an interview released an hour ago as well and there's not a bean about the injury being bad anywhere.
    You know how it is these days with rumours via internet, he'll be in the squad versus southampton imo.

Worst thing about all this is that I mis-spelled the word "heel" and stuck feckin inverted commas on it just to show what a tit I am :D

In other"gossip"schneiderlen will replace him making him the first player since 1964 to move directly between the two clubs

He's planning on walking his dog around Melwood

In other"gossip"schneiderlen will replace him making him the first player since 1964 to move directly between the two clubs

:D Lol, aye, put yer mortgage on it!!!!!

He is off back to PSG someone said or maybe he'll replace Fonte at Southampton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Love how he was in a Liverpool shirt during the announcement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭6am7f9zxrsjvnb

Rezident wrote: »
    Not at all, City have a better squad, Chelsea have a more balanced team and Liverpool and Arsenal are playing better football. Actually, I'd say Spurs have a better squad than Man Yoo now. Man Yoo have some lovely footballers like Ibra and Mata but Pogba and a few others haven't really done it yet while I don't consider the likes of Carrick to be as good as the players at any of the other contenders. Rashford looks really good too but they don't even seem to start him. Also, it is difficult for creative players like Mata when the manager is so negative.

Man City have a weak defence and a rapidly aging squad.United's first eleven isn't any better than most of their rivals,but they're the only club who have a quality alternative for every position.
    e.g.

Darmian/Smalling/Bailly/Shaw
    Valencia/Jones/Rojo/Blind

Mykitarian/Pogba/Schneiderlan/Martial
    Mata/Herrera/Carrick/Rashford

You still reckon Spurs have a better SQUAD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Saido Berahino could be picked up cheap
    Would he be a good option in squad

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement