Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

Saido Berahino could be picked up cheap
    Would he be a good option in squad

No thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Saido Berahino could be picked up cheap
    Would he be a good option in squad

He's not even a good option in his own squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

Jayop wrote: »
    Christ do you just look for the parts of posts that you think is what I'm saying instead of reading the full posts.

Falsehood No1
    I've complimented Klopp over the past few pages on several occasions. He's an excellent manager and when you got him there was a twinge of jealousy although I'm quite happy with who we have now.

Falsehood No2
    Again, I've accepted and commented on the fact that Jose had a preseason and allowed for that. Again, I'm not trying to say that Jose is better in this conversation, just that he's not the "worst manager" because we're in 6th.

I don't believe Jose is a poor manager. He's decent to a point. He doesn't get any more out of a player or players than he shouldn't get. His greatest achievement was winning the CL with Porto, and looking back at that CL season it was an extremely poor year.

He was at Chelsea in the early days spending silly money when PL clubs other than Man Utd couldn't hope to compete with. He spend over £200m at Chelsea, coming in at a time when money had already been spent on the squad.
    Raneiri had built a very good squad before Jose arrived, having bought Lampard, Cech, Makelele, Duff, Cole, Crespo, Veron in 2003.

I suppose what I'm saying is that Mourinho is good, not as good as he things he is. And certainly not as good as the media would have you believe.

He has already spent £160m at Man Utd in 6 months. I wouldn't bet against that hitting quarter of a billion by the end of January

Could you see Jose finishing in top 4 without spending money this window?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

Man City have a weak defence and a rapidly aging squad.United's first eleven isn't any better than most of their rivals,but they're the only club who have a quality alternative for every position.
    e.g.

Darmian/Smalling/Bailly/Shaw
    Valencia/Jones/Rojo/Blind

Mykitarian/Pogba/Schneiderlan/Martial
    Mata/Herrera/Carrick/Rashford

You still reckon Spurs have a better SQUAD.

Little between Lloris and DeGea either way.
    Rose,Walker, Alderweireld & Verthongen are better than all the Man Utd players in their respective positions.

Mousa Dembele, Wanyama, Lamela, Lamela, Sissoko, Dier, Alli, Eriksen in middle isn't too shabby and is better than Man U collectively in my opinion.

Up front Spurs are a little light in terms of numbers. Kane is top notch though and only 23. Son a decent squad player.

Overall I would say yes Spurs have a better squad.

Thought we were doing combined elevens again for a minute there. Got the fright of my life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

WTF is all this Man Utd and Spurs crap?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Klopp: Gomez is so good I had to leave space in Liverpool squad for him
    “Joe has never played for me but we have a good relationship. Maybe I spoke to him more than most of the other players. Injured players spend a lot of their day here with treatment and different types of therapy. We’ve had dinner together and it’s been good."

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/klopp-gomez-good-leave-space-12415649

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭6am7f9zxrsjvnb

Little between Lloris and DeGea either way.
    Rose,Walker, Alderweireld & Verthongen are better than all the Man Utd players in their respective positions.

Mousa Dembele, Wanyama, Lamela, Lamela, Sissoko, Dier, Alli, Eriksen in middle isn't too shabby and is better than Man U collectively in my opinion.

Up front Spurs are a little light in terms of numbers. Kane is top notch though and only 23. Son a decent squad player.

Overall I would say yes Spurs have a better squad.

So you're saying they're very light in defence and attack...that's probably why they crashed out of Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭bluefinger

i come in here for the discussions on united and spurs especially.

carry on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Spurs have always been overated on this thread over the years IIRC.
    Decent squad having a good run. I don't think they will make top 4 though. Seems to be an inferiority complex in here atm. We have a great chance this year & the best manager & attack in the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Spurs and Utd talk all day. Dunno about you guys but I can't wait til breakfast! Might get up early and have it and go back to bed.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

Henderson could possibly be back for the Man Utd game ...

Klopp believes Henderson can return for Manchester United clash
    “It’s good news,” Klopp said.

“He has this issue with the heel which meant we had to take him out for a while but he’s already on the way back.

“He has no chance for this weekend and there will be no risk for the Southampton game but after that it’s absolutely possible that he will be back.”

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

MD1990 wrote: »
    Spurs have always been overated

I've understood why they get so much credit for achieving so little.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Korat wrote: »
    I've understood why they get so much credit for achieving so little. nothing.

Fixed.

• Advertisement

I thought I read here yesterday from an ITK that Henderson was going to be out for the season.

That was a pretty quick recovery.

I thought I read here yesterday from an ITK that Henderson was going to be out for the season.

That was a pretty quick recovery.

He heels quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

5starpool wrote: »
    Looks like Karius and Gomez will definitely play on Sunday anyhow. I'd assume there will be starts for at least some of the below as well:

Stewart
    Ojo
    Ejaria
    Woodburn
    Lucas
    Moreno
    Alexander-Arnold

Given that Sakho won't play, Ilori is leaving, I assume that means that at least one of Klavan/Lovren will start as well. I'd expect either Can or Wijnaldum to start too. If I had to predict a starting XI, I'd go for:

Karius
    Moreno
    Gomez
    Klavan
    Alexander-Arnold
    Lucas
    Can
    Stewart
    Ejaria
    Origi
    Woodburn

Mignolet/Clyne/Ojo/Wijnaldum/Firmino/Lovren/Lallana on the bench.

I would play Lucas at CB

martyos121 wrote: »
    He heels quickly.

:)

f344ac28fa332eb2fa5fdf793d39cd2b.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

martyos121 wrote: »
    He heels quickly.

It's so bad it's good!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

A bit of good news for today. The s*n makes a loss of more than £60m:)

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2017/jan/05/the-sun-losses-advertising-hacking-charges-profits-revenues

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2017/jan/05/the-sun-losses-advertising-hacking-charges-profits-revenues

Good stuff. The sooner that piece of **** rag is out of business the better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Wonderful. It's a shame it's still a going concern.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Obviously no one should take a blind bit of notice about results at this level but what the hell :pac:
    MCFC Stuff ‏@MCFCStuff_BR 14m14 minutes ago

Nessa manhã o U16 do City perdeu para o Liverpool da categoria por 7-3.

Translated from Portuguese by Bing

This morning the U16 City lost to Liverpool 7-3 by category.

Great stuff. Cheers for posting that, brightened up my afternoon.

Hateful rag. Important to keep the young Reds educated about it too coz no Red should ever buy that piece of dirt.

If it was a toss-up between those fcukers going out of business and us winning the league I'd prefer they went.

For all the craic about Maggy Thatcher, I hope there's a party when Kelvin Mackenzie dies.

He's 70 so the clock is ticking. I'll be buying a good 50 quid bottle of single malt when he dies and enjoy every bit of it.

JFT96. Never Buy The Rag.

Great stuff. Cheers for posting that, brightened up my afternoon.

Hateful rag. Important to keep the young Reds educated about it too coz no Red should ever buy that piece of dirt.

If it was a toss-up between those fcukers going out of business and us winning the league I'd prefer they went.

For all the craic about Maggy Thatcher, I hope there's a party when Kelvin Mackenzie dies.

He's 70 so the clock is ticking. I'll be buying a good 50 quid bottle of single malt when he dies and enjoy every bit of it.

JFT96. Never Buy The Rag.

While I agree this is important I think it needs to go beyond a Liverpool thing and it definitely does nowadays. Liverpool fans hate it because of Hillsborough but there's a list of things that paper has done that would make any right-thinking person sick.

Nobody should buy it. Ditto The Mail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Nobody should buy any paper really, sure their all nearly owned by the same multi national conglomerate.

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Nobody should buy any paper really, sure their all nearly owned by the same multi national conglomerate.

True enough. I stopped buying newspapers years ago...don't see the need any more.

While I agree this is important I think it needs to go beyond a Liverpool thing and it definitely does nowadays. Liverpool fans hate it because of Hillsborough but there's a list of things that paper has done that would make any right-thinking person sick.

Nobody should buy it. Ditto The Mail.

I get your point but while we're at it, nobody should go hare coursing or fox hunting either or listen to certain radio shows but we have to be careful here.
    Our problem is with the Rag for what they said, if you start including other papers and things then the entire point gets lost.

I've no probs with The Mail in terms of Liverpool.

It's between us and that one rag and it should be kept that way or the point gets diluted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

Can't stand the sn, lowest common denominator muck. And that's aside from Hillsborough which is a whole other level.

It's true about the international conglomerate, I was disappointed when I saw Mens Health is run by it since I do read that.

• Advertisement

eyerer wrote: »
    Can't stand the sn, lowest common denominator muck. And that's aside from Hillsborough which is a whole other level.

It's true about the international conglomerate, I was disappointed when I saw Mens Health is run by it since I do read that.

So stop reading it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Swagger is back over the fence shhh don't tell them Fulham recently put 5 past Reading :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Is our captain an uninspiring water carrier
    I keep waiting to see the progress the likes of Lallana has made under Klopp come to Hendersons game.
    He has not scored 10 in last 3 seasons, let alone score 12 in one
    He has it in him to get 8-11 a season.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭MentalMario

Is our captain an uninspiring water carrier
    I keep waiting to see the progress the likes of Lallana has made under Klopp come to Hendersons game.
    He has not scored 10 in last 3 seasons, let alone score 12 in one
    He has it in him to get 8-11 a season.

It's no coincidence we didn't beat Sunderland when our captain was out.

He's having the season of his life so far.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Swagger is back over the fence shhh don't tell them Fulham recently put 5 past Reading :pac:

We'll be doing well to not concede 4 next week and then finish within 20 points of them as they win 3 trophies and all the rest of their games this season and we crumble with our terrible squad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭price690

I think it is a coincidence to be honest with you. Wouldn't put that draw down to the fact Henderson was missing.

I'm sure there were excellent performances this season when he hasn't featured.

Henderson is a good player, works hard. But he is not a player who couldn't be upgraded on if Liverpool wanted to kick onto another level. Hes the kind of lad that every good club needs in their squad.

He has been good this season, but no more than that. I wouldn't say is he having the season of his life. I'd like to think there is more to come and hopefully there is.

price690 wrote: »
    I think it is a coincidence to be honest with you. Wouldn't put that draw down to the fact Henderson was missing.

Yeah that's completely fair. I agree.

It's a bit irritating how when we drop points with a player unavailable it becomes the unavailable player who "would" have been the saviour.

Completely agree that it was a coincidence. If he was playing then it goes the same way.

He played in our 2 losses too
    Games you need a captain to influence
    He didn't
    Most game don't need his influence as we score and win s lot
    I'm waiting for that game we are losing and for him to change it

The Bournemouth game good example
    But I felt Mignolet, Lallana and Klavan should have been in that side and not on bench.
    Klopp got it wrong playing Lucas at back with Karius behind him and Can in Midfield. We did not have out best side. Still would have liked Henderson to do something in game like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Vintage everton

• Advertisement

He didn't

But I felt Mignolet, Lallana and Klavan should have been in that side and not on bench.
    Klopp got it wrong playing Lucas at back with Karius behind him and Can in Midfield. We did not have out best side. Still would have liked Henderson to do something in game like this.

You'll be be fighting a losing battle on here fella but I agree with you.

As captains go, I'm not his biggest fan. I admire the way he stares at people and he talks to refs which is important.
    But when the **** hits the fan and we wilt a bit it often screams out for a proper captain to get a grip on things and he's not great at it imo.

We'll get slaughtered for it here no doubt but yeah it's a valid point.

He's a vital player for us at the same time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Henderson is playing as the deepest midfielder and in that role has done far better than I expected - I'm not looking to him to turn a game around by scoring a goal - there are about 5 other players further up the pitch for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

As captains go, I'm not his biggest fan. I admire the way he stares at people and he talks to refs which is important.
    But when the **** hits the fan and we wilt a bit it often screams out for a proper captain to get a grip on things and he's not great at it imo.

Who in the league are these type of captains. I'm not sure many of these type players exist anymore.

Henderson got captaincy by default
    Gerrard influenced decision partly
    I like Henderson a lot
    He's a safe bet and no one will ever come knocking for him
    That must say something also..

Who in the league are these type of captains. I'm not sure many of these type players exist anymore.

But just think about what you are saying.

The idea of a captain can't have changed so much in the space of a few years, it's the same as it has always been.
    Fewer quality captains doesn't negate the importance of a good captain.
    If anything it makes it more advantageous to the team who has one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

5starpool wrote: »
    We'll be doing well to not concede 4 next week and then finish within 20 points of them as they win 3 trophies and all the rest of their games this season and we crumble with our terrible squad.
    We'll be luck to start next season in League 1, tbh, while the win the Supreme Galactic Overlord Cup (aka the League Cup).
    Henderson got captaincy by default
    Gerrard influenced decision partly
    I like Henderson a lot
    He's a safe bet and no one will ever come knocking for him
    That must say something also..
    Jaysus, Toby, make some attempt to have the Limerick rhyme.

You need to up your game pdq:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

He didn't

Oh come on will ya. You are putting way too much importance on the captain's role here. What if our captain was the goalie or a defender, would he be expected to help us score two goals then? Henderson haas been very good this season in fairness. He looks to have matured alot since he first arrived but to blame him for the bournemouth defeat is unfair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

I was gonna reply with the very same thing. The sort of captain you long for simply doesn't exist anymore. A mix of Roy Keane and Vieira would be lovely in midfield but he would also get sent off 10 times a season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

Henderson was the only candidate to be captain when Gerrard left. Some said Sakho.
    Sakho wasn't assured of his position in the team and it's clear he didn't have the mental capacity around the squad to be a candidate.
    Milner wasn't going to get it because he'd only just joined. There was nobody else.
    I think he's done a decent job. No worse than the likes of Kosielny or Lloris. The characters in the game like Keane, Viera, Adams, Gerrard don't exist anymore.

mormank wrote: »
    I was gonna reply with the very same thing. The sort of captain you long for simply doesn't exist anymore. A mix of Roy Keane and Vieira would be lovely in midfield but he would also get sent off 10 times a season.

Sent off? What are you on about?

Dinosaurs are extinct. People who are good captains are not.

And as for sending off, dunno what you're on about.

Henderson is a very important cog in Klopps team.

Vital player and he's playing very deep which is even more impressive.

Love him as a player. More importantly Klopp is a big fan too.

He's a fine captain too.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement