Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Whatever about who is or should be captain what we don't have and really could do with a player who can just grab the game by the scruff of the neck when lose control of the game.

A big dirty Bast@rd if you will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Is our game tomorrow being televised?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Only on BT Sport 2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

Whatever about who is or should be captain what we don't have and really could do with a player who can just grab the game by the scruff of the neck when lose control of the game.

exactly

Henderson has the 2nd highest amount of tackles in the league.

Added to that he has the highest amount of passes.

Not bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I was very sceptical about Henderson playing further back, but he's really grown into it. He's been excellent for us this year, imo.

I'm not sure what more he could do in the role he plays, tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Sergio Ramos is the ideal captain that has insoired RM at important times. Neymar for Brazil pulls them up. Messsi for Argentina scored a couple of extremely important goals. Rinaldo dragged Portugal to that final. Ibrahimovic likewise to Sweden.

Sergio Ramos is the ideal captain that has insoired RM at important times. Neymar for Brazil pulls them up. Messsi for Argentina scored a couple of extremely important goals. Rinaldo dragged Portugal to that final. Ibrahimovic likewise to Sweden.

If you're even comparing Henderson to Ramos, Neymar, Messi and Ronaldo, he must be doing alright.

You're talking about some of the greatest players of all time there, not exactly fair comparisons.

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Henderson has the 2nd highest amount of tackles in the league.

Added to that he has the highest amount of passes.

Not bad.

He's better than not bad. Nobody questioned his quality as a player.

I think its a bit sad that you can't debate the merits and demerits of a player regarding captaincy which is all Toby was trying to do, without it turning into some sort of weird attack/defence of the player.

Nobody here said henderson is a bad player.

It's great if you've a world class player as captain, who drags results out of nothing. Unfortunately it's not always possible for the vast majority of teams in the real world.

Klopp is happy with Henderson as captain and he is playing at a high level all season. He also has 4 or 5 lads in front of him getting the attacking work done.

Go to a game and watch Henderson throughout a game. Always talking to players, encouraging them particularly younger ones.

There's a reason he has been captain at all levels in his career

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

Actually I'm pretty sure Neymar requested not to be captain anymore for Brazil. At least that's what Phil Vickery said on Wprld Football phone in. Aside from Ramos all of those players are attacking players so would be expected to score anyway regardless of being captain.

Sent off? What are you on about?

Dinosaurs are extinct. People who are good captains are not.

And as for sending off, dunno what you're on about.

Ok all I'm saying is that leadership has gone out of the game in general. The type of player that is a leader has become so rare. Hence we don't have one and Hendo is captain instead. Tbf he has done a fine job so far this season in his new role and as captain imo.

mormank wrote: »
    Ok all I'm saying is that leadership has gone out of the game in general. The type of player that is a leader has become so rare. Hence we don't have one and Hendo is captain instead. Tbf he has done a fine job so far this season in his new role and as captain imo.

Leadership will never go out of the game.

If it has become rarer then it makes it more important when you find it.

I agree with what Toby and Agent Coulson said.

And tbh, if Milner was captain permanently then I'd be a bit happier but that's just me.
    Each to their own. I just have a wee bit of doubt about Henderson as captain, being honest.

Leadership will never go out of the game.

If it has become rarer then it makes it more important when you find it.

I agree with what Toby and Agent Coulson said.

And tbh, if Milner was captain permanently then I'd be a bit happier but that's just me.
    Each to their own. I just have a wee bit of doubt about Henderson as captain, being honest.

Oh but it has gone out of of the game, well ok not entirely but it really is much rarer than it 20 years ago even.

He's better than not bad. Nobody questioned his quality as a player.

I think its a bit sad that you can't debate the merits and demerits of a player regarding captaincy which is all Toby was trying to do, without it turning into some sort of weird attack/defence of the player.

Nobody here said henderson is a bad player.

You're getting your LFC knickers in a twist.

Nothing weird about pointing about a players strengths when he is being debated.

I wasn't even replying to Toby anyway originally as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

I'd say terry is the last of the captains in the traditional sense. I'm struggling to think of another in the PL. Arguments could be made for Wes Morgan last year possibly but that's probably just because they achieved something great.

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    You're getting your LFC knickers in a twist.

Nothing weird about pointing about a players strengths when he is being debated.

I wasn't even replying to Toby anyway originally as far as I know.

Lol, my knickers are completely untwisted! ;)

A few people were beginning to defend Henderson's abilities as a player so I was pointing out that nobody ever questioned him in that way, it was a chat about the captains role, thats all.

Off now to iron my underwear! :)

I see we are being linked with Jese today after Emery said he may leave before the end of this transfer window after only 9 games for PSG.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/01/06/premier-league-transfer-news-rumours-west-ham-make-20-million/

His hype seems all a bit Bojan to me.

• Advertisement

With Mane away we will more than likely be linked to every attacker that a bit unsettled at their club.

I'm sure one of the papers will get the link to the right player eventually.

Stats and infographics

Shot dominance

2017-01-04-big-four-ad.png?w=860&h=719

Attacking effectiveness

2017-01-04-big-four-att.png?w=860&h=719

Defensive effectiveness

2017-01-04-big-four-def.png?w=860&h=719

as you can see if Liverpool could get out of that bottom left corner and into the top left block instead we'd be laughing to a probable title.

An U18s squad was sent to Germany to play in the 2017 ebmpapst Hallenmasters - an indoor tournament for 5 a sides and they've won it! Beating host club Fortuna Dusseldorf having played TSV Munich (defeat) SC Freiburg (win), Fortuna Dusseldorf (defeat) SV Hollenbach (win), Karlsruher (draw), Heerenveen (win), Bayer Leverkusen (win) on the way.

C1lqpWAWIAEqBJE.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

A big dirty Bast@rd if you will.

A Stevie Gerrard, they just don't make em like that anymore though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

So if Chinese club come with a bid for Sturridge of 40m will we except offer. And would he go earn his 1m a week wages in the land of dragons and emperors, or reject move and play second fiddle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

So if Chinese club come with a bid for Sturridge of 40m will we except offer. And would he go earn his 1m a week wages in the land of the rising sun, or reject move and play second fiddle.

He'd probably forget about that mystery job in Japan you mentioned and just stick to playing football in China.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

martyos121 wrote: »
    He'd probably forget about that mystery job in Japan you mentioned and just stick to playing football in China.

You have to credit his Ninja edit, particularly in this instance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Sturridge would have a great nick name over there, the fans could call him
    Lim Ping

• Registered Users Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭ElTel

Lim Ping

Tang Kin in the land of. Japan perhaps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

ElTel wrote: »
    Tang Kin in the land of. Japan perhaps.

Nah, his nickname there would be Lotus Away... I'm sure yous can all figure that out :pac:

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Good interview with Klopp and Lijnders about the youth system.

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1spgsqm

It looks like we are going to try and sign Promes most papers and websites have it this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,394 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

It looks like we are going to try and sign Promes most papers and websites have it this morning.

From my extensive research and vast knowledge developed in the last two minutes on him I believe he will be an outstanding signing.

emmetkenny wrote: »
    From my extensive research and vast knowledge developed in the last two minutes on him I believe he will be an outstanding signing.

Wijnaldum also "Thanked", Liked or Re-something on the internet so that proves he is coming to Liverpool no need for any other proof.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Stats and infographics

Love this guys charts, cheers for posting.

I've seen these over several seasons and this could well be the most impressive I've seen us. We always have tons of shots and "dominance" but usually find ourselves in the "Energetically Wasteful" category.

Quite surprised at just how well we are doing defensively in terms of limiting opponent shots. Of course as you say the problem is that opponents don't actually need a huge amount of shots to score against us.

While it's always unfair and simplistic to point towards one cause for a stat, I'm going to do just that and say that I would be hopeful for an improved performance here now that we have dropped Karius.

Very very impressive overall though it has to said. Have to also point out that Spurs look impressive on that chart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Not extensive without obligatory 5 min youtube video of player looking world class, with awful awful music! :p

Liverpool are regularly linked with players in Russia, but but never sign them.

5starpool wrote: »

Excellent reading - glad they've noticed Rhian Brewster. With all the excitement about Woodburn he has slightly got overlooked but he looks every bit as promising. Someone who really needs a senior appearance is Harry Wilson who has been tearing up the U23 League this season, he either scores, assists or does both pretty much every game.

ps fancy starting a match thread?

Doneski

Sevilla approach Liverpool about signing Mamadou Sakho. Liverpool will only let him leave on permanent deal & they want £20 million.

https://twitter.com/SkyKaveh/status/818070019968036866

Plenty of clubs will pay £20m for Sakho the question is does he want to go to those clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Lim Ping

Textbook thanks whoring, you didn't try too hard and you showed some originality, lessons to be learnt for all, sit back and enjoy the deserved thanks, well played.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

5starpool wrote: »

Excellent article and thanks for sharing.

It's bloody great that we have a manager who prefers to work with the players he has, rather than run to the market at every populist whim for a star player.

In an age when fickle fans scream "Show me the money" to their club owners, we thankfully have a sustainable approach to player recruitment which involves developing our young players into stars that know and fit the system Klopp likes to play. Without rich oil money owners this is the only way to compete and I reckon we have the best developer of talent in the game aside from Wenger.

We can keep the heart & soul of the club rooted in Liverpool without selling out completely and changing stadium name & bringing on cheer-leaders at half time etc.

And if the financial bubble of football does burst, we should be less exposed to the down side as a result. Win win on every front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Lim Ping

Xiansheng boli.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Ojo has to score that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭larrymiller

What's the story with grujic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,394 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

What's the story with grujic?

He's injured isn't he?

I'm sure if Daniel did go to China the polit bureau would soon sort out his medical needs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭larrymiller

He's injured isn't he?

Not sure. He used to be making the squad and then disappeared off the radar.

At least Daniel went back for a visit...:pac:

• Advertisement

Hopefully Klopp will give Bobby a run out so the Plymouth players can say they played against a world class forward :P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement