Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Stewart with most passes than the whole Plymouth team in the first half :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Is the touch site gone for everyone else? Can't handle this crap layout at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Knex. wrote: »
    Is the touch site gone for everyone else? Can't handle this crap layout at all.

Been sh!te in chrome for me for the last while.

Did you switch to the 'responsive' site?

Think it's defaulting me to it on my mobile now. Can't get the touch site at all.

Thankfully the legacy site Is still available from the laptop .

Edit: hitting legacy on the mobile crap brings it back to the old touch format, thank Christ.

Stupid pass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Sunday meltdown coming in t minus 10 minutes...

Anyone who melts down over this needs to get off the internet and go for a nice long walk in the fresh air.

I reckon Sturridge is Stewart's hero. First instinct is to shoot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭6am7f9zxrsjvnb

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    Sunday meltdown coming in t minus 10 minutes...

Why would there be a meltdown?
    Everyone knows Liverpool have about 14 players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Nice to see younger players get a game but another game in a congested January is far from ideal. Games against lower league teams for Liverpool are always such an ordeal as we struggle to break down teams that defend with 11 men behind the ball, id much rather we draw premier league or championship teams. Ill be interested to see the line up for the Southampton game with the United game next weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Its like Christmas again for M!Ck^ in the humor thread.

Good run out for Bobby and Lallana in the second half before the semi final on Wednesday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Anyone know when the replays are pencilled in for (why are they pencilled?)?

Just play the same side Jurgen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,953 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Fine by me, it'll be the young lads down at Plymouth so no extra strain on our players despite what the pundits have to say.

In fairness we'd be laughing at United/Arsenal/Chelsea/whoever if they drew with Plymouth but in the grand scheme of things its not remotely important. Thought Woodburn played well but tired a bit, Ojo looked very rusty and Origi had one of his worst games for us. No real excuse for not winning tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Anyone know when the replays are pencilled in for (why are they pencilled?)?

Just play the same side Jurgen.

Can only be the 18th Jan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

A replay isn't much of a problem, really. At most, 4-5 first team regulars will be starting and most of those will not be in line to start many league games.

That team that started plus Sturridge should be enough to do the job in the replay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I slept for most of that, I'm not gonna lie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SM01

Mildly frustrated with the result but happy with how the kids (and miscellaneous players) performed without getting carried away. Do as Harry said in the match thread and play the kids again in the replay. They everything but put the ball in the net.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Can only be the 18th Jan

We are the early game on sat Jan 21 so I'd expect much the same team out again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Yes play the kids again in the replay. Frustrating performance in the final third of the pitch today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Thought Plymouth might have a bit of a go once they saw it was a bunch of kids they were playing but they pretty much parked two buses. Guess a replay is almost as good as a win for them given they'll get a full house for it.

Grayditch wrote: »
    I slept for most of that, I'm not gonna lie.

I'd consider that a success.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Really dull game, that. Wish I hadn't watched.
    That said, I won't be losing too much sleep over it - presume the kids play again in the replay.
    Few points to take away, though...
    - Our set pieces are getting worse. How many corners did we have and not a single chance to show from it all?
    - Moreno was dreadful going forward. That used to be the one thing you could give him credit for, but no sign of it today...
    - Origi wasn't great either. Hoping to see a few better games from him soon.
    - TAA and Stewart looked decent, but I wouldn't like to be relying on Ojo or Ejaria to come into the first team right away. They are raw and developing still.

Let the over analysing begin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Cant blame Plymouth for a very defensive display and I dont want to be too critical of the young lads either tbh. Horrible to watch and we didn't exactly improve after half time. Klopp made early changes too......we just didn't produce the quality for the final ball.

Wouldn't be too bothered about that. They came for a draw and had no intention of attacking. It's Probably a preview of how the United game will go.

Play the kids in the replay and let them sink or swim, the cup is clearly down the list or priorities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

I doubt the kids come across too many parked buses at youth level. Hard to criticise them for not breaking them down the first time they see it at first team level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

No directness to our play.

These lads aren't practiced enough, never mind about their quality, in the kind of interplay we expect from the first team.

Saw too little of Ojo and Origi out wide.

Stewarts going to be 24 at the start of next season. He's not Premier League standard. He gets lumped in with the youths but he's 18 months older than Can and 2 years older than Origi.

With the bodies we have in midfield and what you'd expect from signings in the summer you'd have to think he'll be moved on, probably to the championship.
    He'd do a great job in the engine room of a team towards the upper end of that league.

I don't actually mind the extra game, so long as the young lads can make it through, but I think it's daft to be taking this competition any more lightly than we have to. It's by far our best option for a trophy this season and, to remind everyone, we've one 1 League Cup in the last 10 ****ing years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

- Origi wasn't great either. Hoping to see a few better games from him soon.
    - TAA and Stewart looked decent, but I wouldn't like to be relying on Ojo or Ejaria to come into the first team right away. They are raw and developing still.

Origi is usually poor when he starts..goes missing far too much. He is far better coming off the bench against tired defences.

Stewart and Arnold are the only ones that look like they might have a future at Liverpool. Last year Liverpool sent out a second string team vs Exeter in third round and only one of them are still at the club today..whoever is the scout needs a kick up the ass

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Watched the match, the only thing I can take away is the proposition that bumblebees should not be able to fly because their wings are so small.

garra wrote: »
    Watched the match, the only thing I can take away is the proposition that bumblebees should not be able to fly because their wings are so small.
    It's all to do with the vortex caused by their wing shapes that creates extra lift;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

I doubt the kids come across too many parked buses at youth level. Hard to criticise them for not breaking them down the first time they see it at first team level.

Was thinking the same. Probably a totally new type of situation for many out there.

I wonder do coaches focus on this particular scenario in training? Well worth working on a strategy for this as we see it happen more and more, not just in cups.

We have a history of not being particularly good at it in recent years it has to be said

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

I don't see the result as a big deal, worst comes to worst he'll play the same team which means the young fellas get another chance.

I've seen a few posts elsewhere calling our second string ****e in comparison to their own but the difference is one string is full of young lads with the world at their feet, the other full of mercenaries on big wages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Opinion piece by Eoghan Harris on Klopp. He must have been relieved of his anti Sinn Fein propaganda duties.

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/columnists/eoghan-harris/klopp-can-teach-us-a-lot-about-leadership-and-about-life-too-35349672.html

• Advertisement

rossie1977 wrote: »
    Origi is usually poor when he starts..goes missing far too much. He is far better coming off the bench against tired defences.

Stewart and Arnold are the only ones that look like they might have a future at Liverpool. Last year Liverpool sent out a second string team vs Exeter in third round and only one of them are still at the club today..whoever is the scout needs a kick up the ass

So just write off Woodburn and Ejaria after what amounts to basically one game with the senior team..? This is the kind of overreaction that drives me insane... :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Its like Christmas again for M!Ck^ in the humor thread.

I don't see any posts in the humour thread since yesterday ? Just a cheap dig or maybe he deleted something ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

jaykay74 wrote: »
    I don't see any posts in the humour thread since yesterday ? Just a cheap dig or maybe he deleted something ?

It was a dig all right but It wasn't intended as an insult.
    I hadn't checked the humour thread but Its a thread that M!ck regularly posts in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,673 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Charlie19 wrote: »
    It was a dig all right but It wasn't intended as an insult.
    I hadn't checked the humour thread but Its a thread that M!ck regularly posts in.

I avoid that thread when Liverpool (or Arsenal, or City, or Chelsea) don't win for that very reason.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Morzadec wrote: »
    Was thinking the same. Probably a totally new type of situation for many out there.

I wonder do coaches focus on this particular scenario in training? Well worth working on a strategy for this as we see it happen more and more, not just in cups.

We have a history of not being particularly good at it in recent years it has to be said

I've watched scores of Academy level games in the last few years and it's fair to say that not once did a team defend even a fraction as deeply or in such determined fashion as Plymouth did today - Woodburn, TAA etc will not have experienced anything quite like that before. As it doesn't happen in the U18s and U23 leagues it hard to train for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,953 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Lads we're never getting top 4 if we drop points to teams like Plymouth

Those over the fence going on about the replay as making Liverpool play more games, Jan is busy for Liverpool

Wed 11 Southampton V Liverpool
    Sun 15 Man Utd V Liverpool
    Wed 18 Plymouth V Liverpool
    Sat 21 Liverpool V Swansea
    Wed 25 Liverpool V Southampton
    Sat 28 FA Cup Rd 4??????
    Tue 31 Liverpool V Chelsea

But then look at Feb for Liverpool
    Sat 4 Hull V Liverpool
    Sat 11 Liverpool V Spurs
    Sat 18 FA Cup Rd 5 ????????
    Mon 27 Leicester V Liverpool

Feb For Man Utd
    Wed 1 Man Utd V Hull
    Sun 5 Leicester V Man Utd
    Sat 11 Man Utd V Watford
    Thu 16 Man Utd V Saint-Étienne
    Sun 19 FA Cup rd 5???????????
    Wed 22 Saint-Étienne V Man Utd
    Sun 26 Man City V Man Utd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

rossie1977 wrote: »

Very tough to breakthrough at a PL club nevermind a top 6 club.
    Made good money last summer over 30m on youth players through the new tv deal partly but also because we have been producing better players.

Both teams could be in the League Cup final on the 26th of Feb so those league games might need to be rearranged.

Ben Gadot wrote: »
    I don't see the result as a big deal, worst comes to worst he'll play the same team which means the young fellas get another chance.

I've seen a few posts elsewhere calling our second string ****e in comparison to their own but the difference is one string is full of young lads with the world at their feet, the other full of mercenaries on big wages.
    All that's going to happen is that possibly 2 first team players will get 90 minutes game time in total and a few first team reserves will get a competitive 90 minutes. And maybe 7-8 first team players will travel down to Plymouth and back without setting foot on the pitch.

Other than the flight down and back up, they will be training that day anyway so 2 hours of travel are going to mess up our season?

The over reaction is spectacular.

Both teams could be in the League Cup final on the 26th of Feb so those league games might need to be rearranged.

I hope they are still in the Europa League come April as there is 6 league games alone in that month

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Ben Gadot wrote: »

Yeah agree that our squad has the right balance and it's good to give these young players a chance. They did very well for us in the League Cup to be fair and they're still well in this tie, so no real need to be ssking questions of them.

If it's Europa next year then I'd like to see them get a chance there too. If it's CL for us then i think we'll have to invest more heavily in squad depth and bolster the amount of accomplished and experienced players in the squad.

Alexander Arnold is one of the young players who imo from what I've seen is good enough to be considered a number 2 to Clyne, as long as there's no significant long term injury to Clyne

Morzadec wrote: »
    Yeah agree that our squad has the right balance and it's good to give these young players a chance. They did very well for us in the League Cup to be fair and they're still well in this tie, so no real need to be ssking questions of them.

If it's Europa next year then I'd like to see them get a chance there too. If it's CL for us then i think we'll have to invest more heavily in squad depth and bolster the amount of accomplished and experienced players in the squad.

Alexander Arnold is one of the young players who imo from what I've seen is good enough to be considered a number 2 to Clyne, as long as there's no significant long term injury to Clyne
    There was a link earlier today on TAA saying he was playing as a no.6 and Woodburn as a no. 10 (with the U23s?) so the coaches must reckon his future lies further forward. Similar to how Gerrard started off at RB for a year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Havent watched the FA cup in years.

The team he put out today sums the whole thing up.

Another way to look at today's game is a group of seasoned pros from Plymouth could beat a group of kids most of whom play in a under 23's leagues and lower aged leagues.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement