Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Anyone watch much of Southampton this year?

Only seen them a couple of times myself and found them fairly "meh". Solid enough, which they're bound to be with the likes of Van Dijk and Fonte, but going forward they didn't exactly inspire much fear when I watched them.

Some decent games against the likes of City and Inter, and then recently they've been poor against Everton and Spurs.

You'd have to fancy us to do the job over two legs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Knex. wrote: »
    Anyone watch much of Southampton this year?

Only seen them a couple of times myself and found them fairly "meh". Solid enough, which they're bound to be with the likes of Van Dijk and Fonte, but going forward they didn't exactly inspire much fear when I watched them.

Some decent games against the likes of City and Inter, and then recently they've been poor against Everton and Spurs.

You'd have to fancy us to do the job over two legs.

That's about right, been very poor and you just need to look at goals scored (Hull and Boro the only teams to score less than them in the league) to know that they've struggled up front. They did get a 0-0 against us without threatening much at all and will have seen the likes of United and Plymouth do the same albeit in different competitions.

So given that they don't offer much up front and at the same time are good in defence, if I were them I'd be looking to do my best to get out of tomorrow with the tie still alive so I reckon they'll stifle us until we're tired and frustrated and then try and nip in and get a 1-0, but 0-0 still a good result for them.

Cue goalfest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

dogbert27 wrote: »
    Mata always seems to score against us so I'd be delighted if he's dropped!

With their recent form of offside not counting against them Mata is right fit for that against Liverpool if i remember is last goal was offside

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Utd will win with a perfect offside hat-trick from Wayne Rooney.

In better news Liverpool and Julian Brandt are being linked more heavily.
    Liverpool know that securing Brandt’s services during the January transfer window won’t be possible with Leverkusen adamant that the £20million-rated attacker is not for sale.

There will be stiff competition for his signature with Bayern Munich among those clubs also linked

Reports in Germany suggest he has a release clause of around £17million which could be activated in 2018

The Reds remain keen on Borussia Dortmund’s Christian Pulisic (also would have to be a summer move)

Not happening then! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Not true. He could also improve with practice, further coaching or simply getting a haircut so that it isn't in his eyes and he stops playing with it instead of concentrating on the job at hand.
    OwaynOTT wrote: »
    200w.gif

Meant to quote

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The Times running with Sakho keen to go to Southampton tonight and will decide his future in the next 48 hours.

Them having a French manager might swing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

Sky saying karius will start against Southampton with a strong side
    Please god no karius
    Starting Karius might give them the confidence to come forward and leave space for us to play into.

The Times running with Sakho keen to go to Southampton tonight and will decide his future in the next 48 hours.

So then, any angle on this do we think? Swap/cash deal now? First dibs in the summer on whoever is hot then?

Actually Ryan Bertrand would be a handy pick up

Shane Long :eek::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

So then, any angle on this do we think? Swap/cash deal now? First dibs in the summer on whoever is hot then?

Actually Ryan Bertrand would be a handy pick up

Their keeper, Fraser Forster please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

Considering he hasn't played first team football in 9 months I suspect that there has been a lot of haggling about the transfer fee behind the scenes. He has known that his Liverpool career was over since September so I'm surprised that he didn't have a move agreed before the transfer window opened.

Give them cash, Sakho & Sturridge for Forster & van Dijk that's a deal I wouldn't mind seeing happen but that's just Football Manager for you:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Give them cash, Sakho & Sturridge for Forster & van Dijk that's a deal I wouldn't mind seeing happen but that's just Football Manager for you:P

You'd just give away a talent like Sturridge?
    Also' Sakho should be at least equivelant value to Van Dijk.

I wish himself and Klopp had kissed and made up but too late now I guess.

J Mysterio wrote: »
    You'd just give away a talent like Sturridge?
    Also' Sakho should be at least equivelant value to Van Dijk.

I wish himself and Klopp had kissed and made up but too late now I guess.

I'm a huge Sakho fan and one of his biggest supporters on this forum but he's done at Liverpool.

Yes I'd let Sturridge go he offers very little anymore other than keeping physios busy and will never be a first team starter while Klopp is manager and the more he is on the bench the more he will sulk and that will effect squad moral in the long term.

If a deal could be done to replace them with Forster & van Dijk that would be great for Liverpool football club.

It won't happen though.

Neither Sakho or Sturridge will be Liverpool players at the start of next season that for sure so why not try and use them to get the players in if deals can be done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I'm a huge Sakho fan and one of his biggest supporters on this forum but he's done at Liverpool.

Yes I'd let Sturridge go he offers very little anymore other than keeping physios busy and will never be a first team starter while Klopp is manager and the more he is on the bench the more he will sulk and that will effect squad moral in the long term.

If a deal could be done to replace them with Forster & van Dijk that would be great for Liverpool football club.

It won't happen though.

Neither Sakho or Sturridge will be Liverpool players at the start of next season that for sure so why not try and use them to get the players in if deals can be done.

I see where you're coming from, but the value of Sturridge and Sakho is simply higher than Forster and Van Dijk. I think Southampton would bite your hand off for that deal to be honest.

I mean, look at 20m bids being talked about for 34 year old Jermaine Defoe - Sturridge will bring in at least 30m from a team that needs to buy goals.

I'm also not 100% sure on Forster...he has patches where he's unbelievable, but also suffers dips in form, like our existing guys...if we're gonna go for a new goalkeeper I'd rather we take the lowest risk possible, even if that means stumping up serious cash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,674 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I;d hang on to Sturridge at least until Mane is back from Africa.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    I see where you're coming from, but the value of Sturridge and Sakho is simply higher than Forster and Van Dijk. I think Southampton would bite your hand off for that deal to be honest.

I'm not sure about Sakho and Sturridge being a greater value than Forster and Van Dijk to be honest.

If we get £20m for Sakho we will be doing well.

Sturridge will go for between £20m and £30m when he does go just because the market is crazy and some team will take a punt on him no matter about his injury history.

All the buzz about van Dijk leaving with Southampton wanting bids close to £50m now they won't get that unless a bidding war starts and it could being honest.

Forster if he was to leave would be going for £20m to £25m range again this is because of the crazy transfer market.

I really don't think Klopp will buy another keeper being honest and I'd be surprised if he bought van Dijk.

Fantasy Football Manger talk is all this is really.

The one thing I'm sure I am right about though is Sakho and Sturridge won't be Liverpool players next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Also' Sakho should be at least equivelant value to Van Dijk. .

This is the funniest thing I've seen on the internet today, cheers.

I don't think any pundit (or even gnomey bloggers) have ever suggested Sturridge is or will negatively effect squad moral.

There's an opening in the market for you perhaps :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

absolute madness selling sturridge unless he is replace by a world class striker
    origi is not world class, firmino is not a striker.

• Advertisement

Sturridge will be gone in the summer but certainly not before then. Pete Aboomerang will be signed :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Sturridge will be gone in the summer but certainly not before then. Pete Aboomerang will be signed :D
    Yeah, his name keeps coming back to us....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,953 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Bowlardo wrote: »
    absolute madness selling sturridge unless he is replace by a world class striker

Why do we need a world class replacement for a player who can't get into the first team?

It'll be interesting to see what klopp does should we get into CL

He'll be off to the likes of Madrid or Bayern, I'd like a look at Lacazette though, surprised he hasn't made a move yet.

He'll be off to the likes of Madrid or Bayern, I'd like a look at Lacazette though, surprised he hasn't made a move yet.

I think he's already expressed a desire to beat CF Granada 5-0 twice a season.

Lacazette is interesting as everyone seemed to be linked to him last year and now no one is but he is still banging them in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Bowlardo wrote: »

This kind of talk is a hangover from 'The Rodgers' era, and his we can't win anything without Daniel attitude. If we can upgrade on him with a world class striker, great...but we've evolved beyond needing him, and are hardly struggling for goals.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Not relevant in the 'who we will sign' conversation, but I saw an interesting stat earlier, which was that Suso had recovered the ball more often than any other player in the attacking third of the pitch. Sounds like the type of player that Klopp would have loved to work with given that type of work rate.

I haven't seen him this season, but I'm glad he's doing well as I was very disappointed (though not shocked) that he didn't make it with us.

Lots of games to be played before we will know is the early season form the norm or the exception for Bobby & Co.

Speaking of hangovers etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

I'd like to see a replacement that can score like Sturridge (a strikers eye for goal and can finish) but with the work rate of the current first choice players. It's a pity Sanchez joined arsenal... lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Italians really have a great track record lately at Liverpool... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Turtyturd wrote: »
    This kind of talk is a hangover from 'The Rodgers' era, and his we can't win anything without Daniel attitude. If we can upgrade on him with a world class striker, great...but we've evolved beyond needing him, and are hardly struggling for goals.

We're filling our boots when teams give up and in general there's an awful lot going right systemically with our attack, but we're getting shut out or failing to kill teams off too often given the way we play.

We don't have any world class finishers. There's a clear gap in our attacking personnel.

Whether we could actually get one is another matter, but if we want to be both an attacking team and a successful team, we have holes that need filling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I'm a bit surprised West Ham haven't made a bid for Sturridge yet.

Gbear wrote: »
    We're filling our boots when teams give up and in general there's an awful lot going right systemically with our attack, but we're getting shut out or failing to kill teams off too often given the way we play.

We don't have any world class finishers. There's a clear gap in our attacking personnel.

Whether we could actually get one is another matter, but if we want to be both an attacking team and a successful team, we have holes that need filling.

williams.jpg

Gbear wrote: »
    but we're getting shut out or failing to kill teams off too often given the way we play.

Are we? I know we've had a couple games this season that we should have won but couldn't score, but having the most goals in the league speaks against this point. Every team will find it difficult to score when the opposition put 10 men behind the ball.

• Advertisement

No thanks to Lacazette. Super player and all but awful attitude and lazy when he wants to be. I know we're not really in a position to turn our nose down at players so I'm not saying he's not good enough, but I do think it's important to sign players who will fit into the team rather than signing somebody with a big reputation who might not suit the system

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Guess what.... United score offside goal....what a surprise :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

I'd be one of the first to take the piss when that happens, but it clearly wasn't offside in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,664 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Turtyturd wrote: »

I don't buy that argument. Our attack at times cried out for a striker . Midfielders are great but that clinical eye and greed for goals is what gets past crowded defences. We need a fit , striker with an eye for goal. .

Wasn't offside. Bad defending but not offside for me, not even a close call

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Are we? I know we've had a couple games this season that we should have won but couldn't score, but having the most goals in the league speaks against this point. Every team will find it difficult to score when the opposition put 10 men behind the ball.

For one, we need those goals to win games because we play what would otherwise be a suicidally high line, teams know we're vulnerable and our best defence is getting so far out of sight that we can't be taken advantage of.

The other thing is that we've had a fair few blowouts, skewing the numbers a bit.

I haven't been keeping track as much since but I know a few weeks ago we'd failed to score in more league games than Arsenal, Chelsea and City and while we scored against Sunderland recently, 2 goals isn't a safe number for us.

So goal distribution is important, but even if it wasn't that big a deal, if we're lacking something in attack and don't have an overabundance of options there (assuming Sturridge and Ings leave soon) then I don't see the downside.

We'll need another attacking body regardless, with European football, so it may as well be the right kind.

We've been pretty good at having top class strikers even when we've failed to find success over the past 20 years. I hope it's something we rectify.

Maybe Klopp will attack the problem from the other direction and work on our defence, but given the way we play I don't know what that would look like. We very seldom bunker down.

8-10 wrote: »
    Wasn't offside. Bad defending but not offside for me, not even a close call

Which one ? The Mata one? It was offside, but far from an easy one to call of course, but still offside. I didn't see the 2nd goal, so if you're talking about that one, carry on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

5starpool wrote: »
    Which one ? The Mata one? It was offside, but far from an easy one to call of course, but still offside. I didn't see the 2nd goal, so if you're talking about that one, carry on.

Definitely offside but it took about 4 replays to prove it so hard to blame the linesman really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

martyos121 wrote: »
    I'd be one of the first to take the piss when that happens, but it clearly wasn't offside in fairness.

But....But...But...Sky sports said it was offside???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

and the more he is on the bench the more he will sulk and that will effect squad moral in the long term.

Well that's quite clearly a big huge stinking steaming pile of horse manure right there. Man Utd thread levels of delusion in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Are we picking up Van Dijk on our way back up too?

Vicxas wrote: »
    Are we picking up Van Dijk on our way back up too?

For the figures quoted, I certainly hope not. If we signed him, he'd turn to quivering jelly immediately anyhow.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I read earlier that Subotic' agent is starting talk of a move this window and includes us in the talk.
    Is he better than what we have now? I honestly havn't seen enough of him to be sure.

And if we are going for someone who has Sturridges eye for goal along with workrate, it's Aboomerang.

I beleive that Lacazette has had a big dip in form lately and would be risky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Is Subotic not a Sturridge type walking injury that occasionally plays games?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

So with Jose having a great record in the League cup in his first season with a club , and Klopp having an abysmal record in finals. Is there anything to be said for putting out kids tonight and quietly exiting the comp .

It would be the cowards way out , but the thought of getting beat in a final is almost too much to bare , might be worse than a win would be good , if that makes any sense .

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement