Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Klopp got that so wrong tonight playing can and Lucas surely lalanna should have been back with origi uptop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Klopp got that so wrong tonight playing can and Lucas surely lalanna should have been back with origi uptop

His options are not great unfortunately. Sturridge played 90 tonight so I presume he wants Origi to start the United game. Maybe why he didn't start him tonight.

.... the late subs is something that could be perhaps changed. Origi had little time on the pitch and firmino was dog sh1t from the start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Didn't see most of this game, it's clear to me that Sturridge will be gone in the summer.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Augeo wrote: »
    .... the late subs is something that could be perhaps changed. Origi had little time on the pitch and firmino was dog sh1t from the start.

No point is singling Firmino out for being crap. Sturridge was just as bad but less effort, and Lallana wasn't a lot better of our attackers. Can was awful, Wijnaldum pretty anonymous. Lucas was relatively good in the first half, less of an impact the second.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Umaro wrote: »
    Reasons to be positive...
    • Karius was excellent tonight, and kept us in the tie
    • Coutinho is back
    • No new injuries picked up
    • Got out of there with a 1-0 when it could very easily have been 2-0 or 3-0

Reasons to be grumpy...
    • One of the worst performances of the season
    • Lack of Mané is going to cost us over the next month
    • No sign of Matip (starting to worry that he's going to be a player who spends 50% of each season injured, but is so good when he plays that we don't sign a replacement)
    • Emre Can very poor. Ponderous on the ball. This midfield 3 doesn't work for us.
    • Looked very lethargic - which is odd considering most of these players have had 9 days without a game.
    • On a run of poor showings, with a very important game on Sunday

We look really downbeat at the moment - United must be delighted. I don't think there'll be a better time to play us.

This.

All I can add (again) is the need to sign a top class midfielder(s). Lucas has gone from being meh to being a liability, the problem is he's getting more game time recently. Ball was moving so slowly because of him primarily and Can as well, it's difficult to be too critical of individual forwards.
    1-0 was a good result all told.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Or, you know, being second place in the league.

If they were handing out prizes in January......

We have a very weak squad outside of 13/14 players. Some of the 13/14 are not good enough either. The state we'd be in if we were in Europe i wouldnt want to think about.

I expect us to drop down the league until the others are back in Europe again sadly.

The huff and puff of the start of the season has evaporated as we dont have players to come in when others like Firmino for example are off the boil.

Simple truths. 3 years after Lucas wasnt good enough we still turn to him in hours of need, even sticking him in at CB at times. Doesnt take a genius.

We may learn the hard way about frugality. I dont mean spend for the sake of it but if we cant improve on Lucas/Stewart etc etc then we are not in that great a shape for a run at a whole season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Didn't see most of this game, it's clear to me that Sturridge will be gone in the summer.

Careful now.

5starpool wrote: »
    No point is singling Firmino out for being crap. Sturridge was just as bad but less effort, and Lallana wasn't a lot better of our attackers. Can was awful, Wijnaldum pretty anonymous. Lucas was relatively good in the first half, less of an impact the second.

Well I mentioned Bobby as he was the one origi came on instead of.... and my point was about late subs :)

I didn't single him out really, I was limited enough in my options as he was the only one that origi came on for :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

This.

All I can add (again) is the need to sign a top class midfielder(s). Lucas has gone from being meh to being a liability, the problem is he's getting more game time recently. Ball was moving so slowly because of him primarily and Can as well, it's difficult to be too critical of individual forwards.
    1-0 was a good result all told.

The difference with hendo is he can receive the ball on the half turn. Can and Lucas don't do this and take too many touches which slows down our attacks. Hendo can also get us on the attack with his passing. He is basically Gerrard from 2013/2014 season but with the energy to close down people and fill in spaces when we bomb forward. I always felt Henderson could play that role. I think he has been a major plus this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

A midfield of Henderson(if fit),Lallana and Wijnaldum and up top Coutinho,Firmino and I wonder if he'd give Ojo a run out. At least he has a bit of pace and trickery. Something that was sadly lacking tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,953 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

daithijjj wrote: »
    If they were handing out prizes in January......

Well we can't make it be May. We're in as good a position as we have been since the Premier League began.

I thought Wij' would shine tonight :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

A midfield of Henderson(if fit),Lallana and Wijnaldum and up top Coutinho,Firmino and I wonder if he'd give Ojo a run out. At least he has a bit of pace and trickery. Something that was sadly lacking tonight.

Would actually like to see Origi played in the front 3, but out wide instead of centre forward. Facing goal instead of with his back to it. He's a taller option for coming in for headers on the back post, but also brings the pace and power we miss without Mane. Would rather see him there than as a big target man anyway.

You seem to be having a meltdown, relax buddy, it's just the internet.

Careful now

• Advertisement

Well we can't make it be May. We're in as good a position as we have been since the Premier League began.

Our position is precarious, we could be 5th on Sunday night.

I dont think its that much to ask to get some hired help in. Because the way we are playing we look tired and there isnt much to come from the bench to carry the rest of the season.

A new player coming in could give them all a lift.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Careful now

Will ye 4 either just get over it or get a private forum to insult each other please. It is very tiresome.

5starpool wrote: »
    Will ye 4 either just get over it or get a private forum to insult each other please. It is very tiresome.

.... no one has insulted me :)
    Unless I haven't noticed attempts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Klopp.
    "There will be two disappointed managers, one because he lost & the other because his side won only 1-0 and have to come to Anfield."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Our position is precarious, we could be 5th on Sunday night.

I dont think its that much to ask to get some hired help in. Because the way we are playing we look tired and there isnt much to come from the bench to carry the rest of the season.

A new player coming in could give them all a lift.

The window's only just opened in fairness.

• Advertisement

Just seen Rodgers has said Celtic would finish top 4 if they were in the Premier League, I don't miss him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Would actually like to see Origi played in the front 3, but out wide instead of centre forward. Facing goal instead of with his back to it. He's a taller option for coming in for headers on the back post, but also brings the pace and power we miss without Mane. Would rather see him there than as a big target man anyway.

Agree with this. Also, Firmino should be our #1 striker. He's in poor form but it has coincided with his move to wing forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

My stream has died so I'll be watching James May reassemble something old.

Did you fall apart Harry?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

After Burnley only our 2nd bad performance of the season.
    I'm not that worried yet. I think we will respond Sunday.

monkey9 wrote: »
    The window's only just opened in fairness.

This window has yes. But i suppose my overall point is one where we had a whole summer to replace Moreno, for example, and didnt manage it. We are just blessed Milner has fit in there. The gulf between starters and the rest is too big. Apart from keepers, neither of which gives anyone confidence.

This window has yes. But i suppose my overall point is one where we had a whole summer to replace Moreno, for example, and didnt manage it. We are just blessed Milner has fit in there. The gulf between starters and the rest is too big. Apart from keepers, neither of which gives anyone confidence.
    :confused: Like we are blessed how Henderson,Firmino & Lallana have improved in different positions under Klopp.
    It's brillant coaching & management by Klopp.
    Our record vs the top 6 is superb as well. We have the best manager in the league.

In that regard I think Klopp had some sort of idea that Milner could play there, he hasn't just fit in, he's been one of the best fullbacks in the league.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,275 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Just watched the highlights

Karius did very well.
    Our defence were totally out of sorts.
    Midfield were slow as fúck.
    Sturridge and Firminio barely featured in the highlights- says it all really.
    Coutinho got 30 badly needed minutes.

Given our performance was so poor, I'm quite happy to be only a goal down.

All to play for in the return leg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

Totally agree with Daithijjj, we have too weak of a squad. Other teams can seem to cope better with injuries. For the first time i'm a little worried facing utd, they have some squad depth.

I think it's madness not having more pace in the team. We've only one pacy player and he's away for a month or so. Unfortunately our league position is flattering us to be honest. No one in the team ran at their defence until Coutinho came on and then when he came all they all just stood watching him... :(

We have a good first 11 to compete against a team 1 v 1 on our day but as always since as long as i can remember we don't have the squad depth when we get a few injuries. Surely anyone can see that, hopefully Klopp learns this season.

Can is not very good on the ball and he's playing in a really important place on the pitch, we need to stop losing the ball in midfield with poor passes. Pairing him with Lucas is suicide and down right careless.

Can, Firmino, Studge and Lallana all had stinkers. Really poor from them.... Studge is even afraid to make a challenge in case he gets a knock.

I just really hope the players were just holding their performance back until Sunday as we need a win badly. The way we are playing at the moment, I'd take a draw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Yeah, fair enough, i suppose. But weren't we offering ten million or something for a Leicester left back who doesn't get his game for them. I'd rather Klopp kept the money and waited for a better option. (That being Aaron Cresswell imo.)

• Advertisement

MD1990 wrote: »
    :confused: Like we are blessed how Henderson,Firmino & Lallana have improved in different positions under Klopp.
    Our record vs the top 6 is superb as well. We have the best manager in the league.

Well, fans are goldfish for the most part. There was talk of Henderson and Lallana no being good enough in the summer. Firmino has been poor in 8 of the last 9 league games. Anyway, i wasnt talking about them.

You dont normally get players like Milner, a player plucked from midfield to play at full back and do it 10 times better than what we have as an alternative. No big team going places settles for that. Also, using Milner there means we cant use him higher up the pitch throughout a season where we could use the extra body in the squad.

I dont care about records v the top 6. The league isnt made up of 6 teams. That's just fun fact time filler and Sky BS.

In that regard I think Klopp had some sort of idea that Milner could play there, he hasn't just fit in, he's been one of the best fullbacks in the league.

If he is one of the best full backs in the league then we wont/wouldnt be in for a left back at all?

He has a brain and done very well. Its great to have him over the other calamity.

monkey9 wrote: »
    Yeah, fair enough, i suppose. But weren't we offering ten million or something for a Leicester left back who doesn't get his game for them. I'd rather Klopp kept the money and waited for a better option. (That being Aaron Cresswell imo.)

I like Cresswell but we arent getting him for less than 20m. See us spending that on that position?

If he is one of the best full backs in the league then we wont/wouldnt be in for a left back at all?

He has a brain and done very well. Its great to have him over the other calamity.

Who says we are in for a left back anyway? I haven't heard any talk of it.

There was plenty of talk in the summer. We were definitely after Chilwell at Leicester. Also talk of Hector.

There was plenty of talk in the summer. We were definitely after Chilwell at Leicester. Also talk of Hector.

Oh yeah, in the summer we were. I'm saying Klopp knew Milner would at least be good enough to take us to January, but he has exceeded all expectations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

Oh yeah, in the summer we were. I'm saying Klopp knew Milner would at least be good enough to take us to January, but he has exceeded all expectations.
    There were quite a few doubters of his ability to play the position on the forum.

Klopp's not going to sign the finished article to play a position because he wants to mould the players to fit the role he sees for them. Last summer, Liverpool tried to sign Charlie Taylor and Ben Chilwell while the fans were crying out for Jonas Hector and Aaron Cresswell. Charlie Taylor's contract with Leeds expires in June so he might join Liverpool then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

We definitely need a new signing to freshen things up
    This side are getting worse week by week
    Really miss Henderson played Lucas and can last night instead of a fit Henderson
    When he is fit it allows lalanna back deeper where he is more affective
    We have become so easy to play against teams just let us have the ball and don't press us what so ever until we get to the 18 yard line
    We don't create chance any more we are so sterile
    Possession counts for nothing

I thought the consensus was firmino being poor was because he's not being played centrally. How is that brilliant coaching & management.

Now I don't personally accept the not central theory myself as he's central plenty.

• Advertisement

So klopp is planning on going into next season (hopefully CL, EL almost certainly ) without signing a LB?

I hope that isn't the case. Essentially looking to milner to play 60 games or we look to Moreno to step in. Gomez is a credible LB on best form for us, a klopp LB is more of an attacking threat, dunno is Joe going to step up to that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

So now our league position is flattering? It is in its ****. We are there in merit because we've played awesome football regularly. We're in a bad run of form atm which feels to me like it's coincided with firminos move from the middle. Without him there the clever interchanges around the box have slowed. Feels like we need another winger but will they hit the ground running? If we do buy I hope it's for someone we wanted in the summer.

As klopp says problems are fixed on the training ground not the transfer market. Maybe ojo can step up when playing with better players.

Also I can't believe the 'left back' drum is being beaten again... klopp was right. We were all wrong. Milner is top 2-3 left back in the league this season.

I thought the consensus was firmino being poor was because he's not being played centrally. How is that brilliant coaching & management.

Now I don't personally accept the not central theory myself as he's central plenty.
    Don't think Firmino has been that bad just not his usual brillant self. Coutinho back will be a great help for him.

Well, fans are goldfish for the most part. There was talk of Henderson and Lallana no being good enough in the summer. Firmino has been poor in 8 of the last 9 league games. Anyway, i wasnt talking about them.

You dont normally get players like Milner, a player plucked from midfield to play at full back and do it 10 times better than what we have as an alternative. No big team going places settles for that. Also, using Milner there means we cant use him higher up the pitch throughout a season where we could use the extra body in the squad.

I dont care about records v the top 6. The league isnt made up of 6 teams. That's just fun fact time filler and Sky BS.
    Milner is stats wise the 2nd best LB in Europe after Alex Sandro.
    He is playing better at LB than he when he was in CM for us.
    Not sure why this is being brought up again since Klopp has been proven right but I guess it sums up modern football for some fans to complain for the sake of it at times.

Not sure why this is being brought up again since Klopp has been proven right but I guess it sums up modern football for some fans to complain for the sake of it at times.

You highlight the point the chap made but still missed the point entirely :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    So now our league position is flattering? It is in its ****. We are there in merit because we've played awesome football regularly. We're in a bad run of form atm which feels to me like it's coincided with firminos move from the middle. Without him there the clever interchanges around the box have slowed. Feels like we need another winger but will they hit the ground running? If we do buy I hope it's for someone we wanted in the summer.

As klopp says problems are fixed on the training ground not the transfer market. Maybe ojo can step up when playing with better players.

Also I can't believe the 'left back' drum is being beaten again... klopp was right. We were all wrong. Milner is top 2-3 left back in the league this season.

I don't think anyone is saying that Liverpool don't deserve to be where they are rather that, in order to stay there, Liverpool need to buy some players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Henderson was really missed last night, which is worrying. Aside from him, we don't have any player capable of being that playmaker from deep, who sets the tempo or provides that quick transitioning pass from back to front, or when switching the play.

I spoke a few times before about how I didn't think Henderson actually had that type of play consistently in his locker, but thus far this season he's proven me wrong.

There's time for Can to do similar, but he really doesn't look like he has remotely the same intelligence on the pitch. He has all the physical tools to still be a good player for us, but he falls apart when asked to be the sole responsibility for building our attacks and providing that platform from the No. 6 position. He's more Mascherano than Alonso, and in this system, we need the latter. Can just isn't comfortable being asked to pass the ball like that, 90 times a match.

The need to get someone else in for that role is all the more imperative if Henderson continues to struggle with injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

It's more an example of our square pegs in round holes policy for me. Firmino is an example of this too, he is not much use out on the left but is played there as we're short on numbers. Klopp plays Lucas at centre back rather than midfield too as we are short one centre back while Gomez was out and Sakho is in exile. I said it last night but I bet Klopp hates having to play him in midfield, far too slow. When Henderson got injured vs City we brought on Origi but had to move Lallana back deeper to midfield & Firmino went wide. Normally you'd bring in a centre midfielder into the team but Lucas is not that & Stewart will never, ever, ever be am regular for us despite being on the bench quite often. Wijnaldum some games is very good but others it's like I'm reminded he was bought from Newcastle.
    Can I thought was appalling last night when Hendo is out we need him to step up, he wasn't much better on Sunday against Plymouth I said it then too. Despite our demanding style I'm confused as to how some players like him look tired, we aren't playing midweek which is a blessing & will change next year. Up to us if it's Thursday or Tuesday.
    We're in a very poor run of form now at a bad time as we have Chelsea & Utd coming up. I'd be a lot more calm if we didn't look as slow last night, pre Mane we lacked pace in the side too. I doubt we'll sign anyone in January but something to take note of when we do buy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

brevity wrote: »
    I don't think anyone is saying that Liverpool don't deserve to be where they are rather that, in order to stay there, Liverpool need to buy some players.

Someone literally posted that our league position flattered us. I should prob have quoted in fairness.

We knew we weren't the finished article. It's going to take time. We bought enough first team players this summer any more and you're asking too much and klopp is loath to sign squad players as it hinders the development of youths. We have to look at this from a sustainable perspective. What's the point in developing the academy and then just buying 10 squad players.

For years people complained that we spent 10m on 5 average players instead of 50 on 2 good ones. We finally do it and now people want the 5 average players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The Times have a story today that Barca and Juve have joined PSG in the chase for Lalllana in the Summer if he doesn't sign an extenion to his contract.

Bidding War #Netprofit. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

The Times have a story today that Barca and Juve have joined PSG in the chase for Lalllana in the Summer if he doesn't sign an extenion to his contract.

Bidding War #Netprofit. :P

You'd have laughed yourself to an early grave if you read that headline a year or so ago.

While still far fetched, it shows the progress he's made. Fair play to him.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement