Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Has klopp completely giving up on Milner in midfield
    Could have played him there instead of Lucas or can last night
    And had Moreno at left back which would have brought some needed pace

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

You'd be in here complaining he played Moreno if he did that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

Can is a big concern imo. In his time at Liverpool he has had a handful of outstanding performances, a rake of mediocre ones and quite a few really poor displays. He was atrocious last night. Yes he's still young enough but I'm worried Klopp overrates him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

We definitely need a new signing to freshen things up
    This side are getting worse week by week
    Really miss Henderson played Lucas and can last night instead of a fit Henderson
    When he is fit it allows lalanna back deeper where he is more affective
    We have become so easy to play against teams just let us have the ball and don't press us what so ever until we get to the 18 yard line
    We don't create chance any more we are so sterile
    Possession counts for nothing

How do you work that out?

We beat Man City on 31 December and we were all delighted and it was our 4th straight league win.

Then struggled a bit against Sunderland but got a draw.

2nd string team drew cup game which I have no issue with.

Last night was poor but it was the 1st leg and we're still very much in the tie.

We need to get Matip, Henderson and Coutinho back but I do not think it's right to say that we're on a bad run after one drawn league game.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Knex. wrote: »
    Henderson was really missed last night, which is worrying. Aside from him, we don't have any player capable of being that playmaker from deep, who sets the tempo or provides that quick transitioning pass from back to front, or when switching the play.

I spoke a few times before about how I didn't think Henderson actually had that type of play consistently in his locker, but thus far this season he's proven me wrong.

There's time for Can to do similar, but he really doesn't look like he has remotely the same intelligence on the pitch. He has all the physical tools to still be a good player for us, but he falls apart when asked to be the sole responsibility for building our attacks and providing that platform from the No. 6 position. He's more Mascherano than Alonso, and in this system, we need the latter. Can just isn't comfortable being asked to pass the ball like that, 90 times a match.

The need to get someone else in for that role is all the more imperative if Henderson continues to struggle with injuries.

There's definitely a few possible explanations for recent poor performances, but Henderson missing would be number 1 for me.

He is the heartbeat of the team and (I can't believe I'm saying this as I never thought he'd progress beyond being a decent Premier League footballer) arguably the best playmaking centre mid in the whole league right now.

He has the athleticism to play in our high intensity bustling 3 man midfield, but also the intelligence and technique to make the team tick.

Can does not have the range of passing and not quite the same playmaking style / intelligence.

Lucas definitely does not have the athleticism to be suited to a Klopp midfield imo and should be only considered a CB option from now on. He also lacks the passing range.

Can is the better option to pay the deeper playmaker role while Henderson is absent, but it's a huge ask of him to exert the type of influence Henderson has on the game. Longer term, Can is still only 23 and has some great talent. Let's not rule him out from still stepping his game up further. He can be inconsistent but is currently and important member of the squad and can hopefully push on in the next 2-3 years to become a top class midfielder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Alonso77

Its mad how one bad result or dodgy performance can make some people lose their marbles and proclaim all is lost.

Hate to see if these lads stubbed their toes - "Amputate it!!, its no good now!!"

:-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Last night was rubbish, no getting away with that but I would expect a serious reaction on Sunday after such a dismal display last night.

If we don't get that reaction then I will start to worry....slightly!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Alonso77 wrote: »
    Its mad how one bad result or dodgy performance can make some people lose their marbles and proclaim all is lost.

Hate to see if these lads stubbed their toes - "Amputate it!!, its no good now!!"

I don't see too many doing that, tbh. Just pointing out areas of concern. Every squad has them.

And to be honest, I've been expecting us to hit this wall for a month at least now, so I'm not too shocked or worried by it. The team has exceeded by expectations so far.

I still think we're in a fight for 4th, far more than we are for 1st, however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

You're not wrong. People are probably right to ask some questions after a few poor performances, but it's hardly the end of the world.

We've a few very big weeks coming up and some reinforcements would be very welcome, but I seem to remember a similar fear in August ahead of our last big run.

My main concern - a lack of pace in the forward line in the absence of Mané, and Klopp's propensity to move everyone around up there when one player is absent.

If we can stick to Lallana - Can (or Henderson if he's fit) and Gini in the middle with Origi out wide and Firmino and Coutinho in the roles they have excelled in this season, I'll be happy enough.

If Klopp puts Firmino out wide to accommodate Origi or Sturridge, or puts Lallana in the front 3, I'll be far less confident about any game, regardless of the opposition.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

#BringAlonsoHome

• Advertisement

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    #BringAlonsoHome

I am home

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    #BringAlonsoHome
    I am home

The power of the #

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Then at the other end of the scale you'd be like........

1520282016086950799.gif

That's 3 bad results/performances in a row now, the team is badly in need of reinforcements, can't see what's wrong with wanting to improve our squad, it's hardly a bad thing is it? Apparently we'll have to wait a few years until our youth players develop because Klopp doesn't do signings.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

kfallon wrote: »
    The power of the #

It worked!

#BringSuarezHome

Then at the other end of the scale you'd be like........

1520282016086950799.gif

That's 3 bad results/performances in a row now, the team is badly in need of reinforcements, can't see what's wrong with wanting to improve our squad, it's hardly a bad thing is it? Apparently we'll have to wait a few years until our youth players develop because Klopp doesn't do signings.

Let's disregard the other 20 approx mainly impressive performances so.

Buy buy buy!!!

New signings are always required, freshening up the squad is always good. We don't need to buy 6 or 7 but a player or two in January would be nice. I can't see it happening.

Also where is Grujic, seems to have disappeared off the face of the earth!

Let's disregard the other 20 approx mainly impressive performances so.

Buy buy buy!!!

So to be clear, you don't think we need any signings in January is that what you're saying?

So to be clear, you don't think we need any signings in January is that what you're saying?

I didn't mention anything about signings

So we do need them right? So buy buy buy is what we should be doing, I agree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,895 ✭✭✭SteM

Buy buy buy!!!

It was implied don't you think. Or were you saying goodbye ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

Just in case ye are interested

FC-Bayern-Muenchen-v-Borussia-Moenchengladbach-Bundesliga-For-DFL.jpg

Sky Sports will use Spidercam in the Premier League for the first time this weekend's showdown between Manchester United and Liverpool .

The innovation will see a camera suspended above the pitch via four wires attached to each corner of the ground and maneuvered by an operator to follow the action.

It will vary from between 10 and 40 metres above the pitch.

The structure at Old Trafford was given council approval on Monday and the footage is set to become a key component of the Sky coverage.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Polo_Mint wrote: »

Sky Sports will use Spidercam in the Premier League for the first time this weekend's showdown between Manchester United and Liverpool .

The innovation will see a camera suspended above the pitch via four wires attached to each corner of the ground and maneuvered by an operator to follow the action.

The structure at Old Trafford was given council approval on Monday and the footage is set to become a key component of the Sky coverage.

They use these in la Liga already. Looks a bit mad but should interesting.

5starpool wrote: »
    They use these in la Liga already. Looks a bit mad but should interesting.

Looks Awesome for Free kicks and when a team breaks down the pitch.

We will see how Sky utilize it in the game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

It's going to fall on Sturridge isn't it?

brevity wrote: »
    It's going to fall on Sturridge isn't it?

Known to happen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

We should only buy if the right player is available. Not for the sake of just buying players to have a bigger squad.

SteM wrote: »
    It was implied don't you think. Or were you saying goodbye ;)

Yes buy all the players. I'm partial to an aul signing , love a bitta signings I do.

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    We should only buy if the right player is available. Not for the sake of just buying players to have a bigger squad.

Well I'm not saying to go out and buy a load of donkeys am I? It can't be that hard to find players that will be a good addition to the squad can it? The scouts can actually earn their wage.

Pity Payet didn't go on strike before their game against us, the fecker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,953 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Pity Payet didn't go on strike before their game against us, the fecker.

Probably could've done with Karius going on strike before that game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

murpho999 wrote: »
    How do you work that out?

We beat Man City on 31 December and we were all delighted and it was our 4th straight league win.

Then struggled a bit against Sunderland but got a draw.

2nd string team drew cup game which I have no issue with.

Last night was poor but it was the 1st leg and we're still very much in the tie.

We need to get Matip, Henderson and Coutinho back but I do not think it's right to say that we're on a bad run after one drawn league game.

He doesn't actually think it, but Klopp sh!t in his cornflakes one time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Looks Awesome for Free kicks and when a team breaks down the pitch.

We will see how Sky utilize it in the game

Sky will overuse the sh!t out of it on Sunday and it will irritate us all

I guarantee it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

x43r0 wrote: »
    Sky will overuse the sh!t out of it on Sunday and it will irritate us all

I guarantee it

I am looking forward to seeing Coutinhos brace and Origi and Lalana's goals this Sunday from every Angle imaginable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Knex. wrote: »
    Henderson was really missed last night, which is worrying. Aside from him, we don't have any player capable of being that playmaker from deep, who sets the tempo or provides that quick transitioning pass from back to front, or when switching the play.

I spoke a few times before about how I didn't think Henderson actually had that type of play consistently in his locker, but thus far this season he's proven me wrong.

There's time for Can to do similar, but he really doesn't look like he has remotely the same intelligence on the pitch. He has all the physical tools to still be a good player for us, but he falls apart when asked to be the sole responsibility for building our attacks and providing that platform from the No. 6 position. He's more Mascherano than Alonso, and in this system, we need the latter. Can just isn't comfortable being asked to pass the ball like that, 90 times a match.

The need to get someone else in for that role is all the more imperative if Henderson continues to struggle with injuries.

Yes its a good comparison of Can, more like Masch than Alsonso. He just isn't the best technically, he can't cope with people around him at all and prefers to gallop with the ball.
    We very much do need another midfielder in the Henderson mould. We have been utter muck without our captain to provide the base on which all of our pressing or build-up play is based.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Presume it's been said already but Hendo and Matip back in full training today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Sky will start with watch the whole game on the Spidercam just press red then it will the Spidercam on Sky Sports 6 then it will be only 9.99 to add the Spidercam channel to your Sky Sports package exclusively on HD then it will move to you can only watch the Spidercam on Sky Q 3tb boxes which are only available for an extra 12.99 ontop of a full Sky World 3d UHD package.

Presume it's been said already but Hendo and Matip back in full training today.

If fully fit, the 2 of them and Coutinho in the starting lineup would be a big boost for Sunday, and allow our strongest team to play, barring Mane. With a few just returning from injury though and in somewhat subdued form, it's still far from ideal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭price690

garra wrote: »
    Yes its a good comparison of Can, more like Masch than Alsonso. He just isn't the best technically, he can't cope with people around him at all and prefers to gallop with the ball.
    We very much do need another midfielder in the Henderson mould. We have been utter muck without our captain to provide the base on which all of our pressing or build-up play is based.

Can is decent at everything but potentially great at none.

He is neither quick enough nor a good enough reader of the game nor does he possess the vision to be a deep lying playmaker, defensive midfielder sort.

He doesn't have the guile or quickness of feet/creativity to be effective further forward

And to top it all off, a central midfielder who is lacking the attributes above will hopefully make up for it by being a useful box to box midfielder who will run all day, but Can even at 22 years of age doesn't look mobile enough for this role either. He is very one paced in my opinion.

I'm not a huge fan of Henderson either. I think we lack a midfielder who acts as an insurance policy in midfield like Mascherano did. Someone who is comfortable in possession, can move it quickly but mostly excells when the team is on the backfoot. We have lads who want to play in midfield but none of them have a radar to spot danger on the counter, and to make clean interceptions on a regular basis.

I do not include Lucas here because although he isn't a bad reader of the game he has been shoe horned into this position and still cannot make the vital interceptions without causing fouls. We give away a criminal amount of frees in the midfield area.

I think Guardiola said it earlier in the season that he didn't understand the need to practice tackles. Everything he does works on the premise that his team have the ball. And its very admirable, Rodgers was similar. The problem with that philosophy however is that in a league so competitive you need a plan for when you don't have the ball and personnel who can adapt.

Being effective without possession isn't sexy at the top end of the table, but unless you have vastly superior players to all of your rivals you will not have sustained success without a player like this to provide balance. And the top 6 in England are very evenly matched at the minute.

Can in a midfield 3 with Lallana and Henderson wouldn't be bad, the lad hasn't had much game time between the jigs and the reels this season.

Dip in form etc, he's probably played his best football for LFC when Henderson has been on the pitch too, he might well never be as good as Henderson though.

Him and Wij' are fine to fight it out for the 3rd position with Lallana and Henderson being the other two. Can and Wij' probably aren't adequate to replace either Henderson or Lallana in Klopp's midfield 3. Coutinho can drop back if Lallana is out but the #6 position is a problem when Henderson is out.

Can't see Hendo, Matip & Coutinho all starting on Sunday. Matip has been out for a fair bit now. Henderson most likely good to go alright and Coutinho looked fair buzzy last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

I wonder if the break in and drink driving has effected Bobby badly, his performances since then have been below par.

• Advertisement

I wonder if the break and drink driving in has effected Bobby badly, his performances since then have been below par.

As someone who has had their house broken into I can tell you it does affect you for a long time after.

When you don't feel safe and secure in your own home it effects every part of your life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

I wonder if the break and drink driving in has effected Bobby badly, his performances since then have been below par.

Maybe he gave up the gargle and now he's just Boring Bobby. I would have preferred for him to be rested recently, as it turns out he hasn't added much anyway. Give Origi a good run in his place and have him chomping at the bit to come back in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

As someone who has had their house broken into I can tell you it does affect you for a long time after.

When you don't feel safe and secure in your own home it effects every part of your life.

I've never let the bastards in (three times)

I wonder if the break in and drink driving has effected Bobby badly, his performances since then have been below par.

they were below par prior to the break in & drink driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

If fully fit, the 2 of them and Coutinho in the starting lineup would be a big boost for Sunday, and allow our strongest team to play, barring Mane. With a few just returning from injury though and in somewhat subdued form, it's still far from ideal.

Id say Hendo will definitely start. He hasnt been out for long and is fitness would always be good. Step too far for Matip id imagine as he's missed last 7 games. He has never lost a game for Liverpool though so we might need his luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

If Hendo is back in full training he should be able to start Sunday. Its just his heel flaring up and he's only been out a couple weeks, shouldn't need to be eased back in or anything.

Matip on the other hand will need to be eased in I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Just realised we can give Firmino a new nickname after the break-in.

Bobby "Pin" Firmino.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Sky will start with watch the whole game on the Spidercam just press red then it will the Spidercam on Sky Sports 6 then it will be only 9.99 to add the Spidercam channel to your Sky Sports package exclusively on HD then it will move to you can only watch the Spidercam on Sky Q 3tb boxes which are only available for an extra 12.99 ontop of a full Sky World 3d UHD package.

So, how long have you been working for Sky :pac:

Joyce at The Times is saying Gerrard is re-joining the club as a coach with the junior sides in the coming weeks he is also getting the Freedom of the City of Liverpool.
    Steven Gerrard is to receive the freedom of the city of Liverpool in recognition of his glittering playing career and his charity work.
    Gerrard has been put forward by Joe Anderson, the mayor of Liverpool, and the nomination is expected to be formally agreed at a city council meeting next Wednesday.
    A ceremony to bestow the city’s highest civic honour would then take place later in the year.
    Gerrard announced his retirement last November following an 18-year career in which he inspired Liverpool to the heights of Champions League success before ending his career at LA Galaxy in the MLS.
    Liverpool are set to announce he will rejoin the club in a coaching role with junior sides in the coming weeks.
    But it is not just for his exploits on the pitch that Gerrard is receiving the honour, but also his work through the Steven Gerrard Foundation, which helps disadvantaged children across Britain.
    “I was stunned and overwhelmed when I heard my name was being put forward by the mayor to receive this honour,” said Gerrard. “Liverpool is my home city and so to be acknowledged in this way leaves me speechless. To even think about getting such an award makes me feel very humble and of course immensely proud.”
    Gerrard was hailed as a “fantastic ambassador and inspirational figure” by Anderson, who added: “The freedom of Liverpool is a special honour and one which we award only to exceptional individuals.
    “Steven has had a fantastic career and is widely regarded as one of the most successful midfielders of his generation. But it’s not just his sporting excellence which has made him the icon he is today.
    “Whether you’re a red or blue, I’m sure everyone will agree he is a fantastic ambassador for the city and his charity work has made a huge difference to thousands of young people, particularly disadvantaged children in Liverpool.
    “Steven is an inspirational figure for young and old alike and I’m delighted to be able to recommend to council that we make this award for everything he has given to our city.”

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/gerrard-honoured-for-charity-work-with-freedom-of-liverpool-rnhj6pgz0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,953 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Firmino's form directly coincides with Coutinho's departure from the team, now that we have them back together it'd be mad to drop Bobby without giving him a chance up top with Phil.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement