Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

Firmino's form directly coincides with Coutinho's departure from the team, now that we have them back together it'd be mad to drop Bobby without giving him a chance up top with Phil.

I agree ,but slightly worrying that he seems to show nothing without Coutinho. It has been a good few games now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

sword1 wrote: »
    I agree ,but slightly worrying that he seems to show nothing without Coutinho. It has been a good few games now

But it's two factors at once...both being without the player he has the best chemistry with, and being out of his best position.

Just over the whole of his LFC career, he's pretty consistent in how he plays out wide...runs around a lot, has great moments, but doesn't get as involved in the game. When he has a central starting position he's a great foil for the attackers either side, and has a great sense of when to vacate that space for someone else coming in.

An underestimated amount of what he does is actually in his movement away from the area, facilitating runs. That's imo the difference of his starting positions being wide or central, even though he often drifts central when he starts wide - but in doing so he's trying the make the runs he's normally facilitating from the center. The team just works better with him as the go-between up front.

It's also why i think we should be moving for one more high quality wide attacker, as when Coutinho or Mane are out, it's a decent drop down to the next option, so Firmino himself is always shuffled wide. The alternative is Lallana coming up, but he's missed more in midfield then. We could try Wijnaldum or Milner there too, but that brings the same problem...would be nice to have an extra option that doesn't mean weakening another position on the field. I'd kind of like to see an older, experienced head coming in, so they're not in the way of Woodburn/Ojo etc's progress long term. Like the equivalent of a Maxi or Bellamy back in the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I don't think the requirement for control from our midfield means Can can never have a place.

I thought he was fairly awful playing the deep role against Plymouth - he doesn't look like he has the discipline. He wants to do too much with the ball and rashness in that position puts us in serious trouble.
    I don't think he's a stupid player by any means - he can show great vision at times and can play with his head up.
    Maybe he could grow into it, but I don't think he's that kind of player.
    You'd expect lithe tacticians or little terriers to fill that role. He looks more like a rugby player.

The sense I get of him, particularly with a player as solid and calmly efficient as Wijnaldum taking his place, is that he's constantly trying to prove how amazing he is on the pitch as a way of standing out.
    That's something that might be worked out of him as he matures and sees how important someone doing the unglamourous work of Gini and Hendo gets the whole team results.

For me his current role ought to be more as Lallana's understudy than the deeper two.
    It's not a question of fulfilling the same role - Lallana's an agile, technical player, as opposed to Can the stampeding rhinoceros, will do different things from that position.

Sometimes there's a call for more directness from deep and that's something Can can do better than anyone in the team. Despite his apparent cumbersomeness at times, he really can glide through players if there's any bit of space at all.

He's a bit more finicky to fit in in terms of who compliments him and deals with his weaknesses, but there have been games this season where we've been dominant but can't break through and someone like him could help with that.
    It's could be particularly acute given that we we're now without Mane as well.

There were times last season where he was trampling all over the opposition and I think we need to give him the chance to get back to that.
    I'm sure Klopp hasn't given up on him, by any means.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Just saw earlier that our first choice front three (Coutinho, Firmino and Mane) haven't played together in 7 weeks and probably won't play together again until early February.

Probably no coincidence that we were flying when we had all three together. We've had some good results since (Everton, City) but also struggled in a few games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I don't know what everyone is worried about sure we have our world class striker match fit for the game on Sunday.

Daniel will over come and lead the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I don't know what everyone is worried about sure we have our world class striker match fit for the game on Sunday.

You really are obsessed with him.

Firmino's form directly coincides with Coutinho's departure from the team, now that we have them back together it'd be mad to drop Bobby without giving him a chance up top with Phil.

There's no way he'll be dropped for PL game. Could have done with being benched from start last night though.

His early season form could have gone to his head.... he might actually think he's the main man :pac:

We all know that's coutinho.... Mane.... Henderson or lallana depending on their form in the previous game :)

murpho999 wrote: »
    You really are obsessed with him.

To be fair he's getting over a break in. Effected all parts of his life. I'd give the chap a break :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Did someone call Danny world class? And was it more than one person? Or am I missing the joke entirely?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

I used to regularly hear that Sturridge was world class at one point, not so much anymore of course.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement

NukaCola wrote: »
    Did someone call Danny world class? And was it more than one person? Or am I missing the joke entirely?

Who knows.
    Don't recall anyone recently saying anything along those lines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

I used to regularly hear that Sturridge was world class at one point, not so much anymore of course.

Certainly a world class finisher at one point. Not the same player these days unfortunately. Can still finish but physically and maybe mentally not the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Was about as world class as Mata, Darmain, and Chris Smalling, don't hear that too much these days either though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Caught the second half last night and Liverpool were desperately poor.

Milner was very easy to defend, he cuts back onto his right foot and delivers a looping in-swinging cross the keeper can predict.

At this stage, Mane is so fundamental to the team's effectiveness in attack that a replacement should be bought for any time he's injured or to give him some games off...

That'll sort 'em turdy .... good lad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

1 defeat in last 18 league games
    Hopefully we make that 1 in 19 on Sunday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Will you give that sh1t a rest? That snipey 'world class' stuff is really childish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

1 defeat in last 18 league games
    Hopefully we make that 1 in 19 on Sunday

Have some ambition, man. 0 in 19.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Will you give that sh1t a rest? That snipey 'world class' stuff is really childish.

Is it not just a joke at this stage?

I've got to the point of ignoring it now, Sturridge is well beyond becoming a "fans favourite" Sure he hasn't even got a song.
    giphy.gif
    Thankfully he doesn't need music.

• Advertisement

Lined up for Strictly Come Dancing next Christmas if he can stay injury free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Sky will start with watch the whole game on the Spidercam just press red then it will the Spidercam on Sky Sports 6 then it will be only 9.99 to add the Spidercam channel to your Sky Sports package exclusively on HD then it will move to you can only watch the Spidercam on Sky Q 3tb boxes which are only available for an extra 12.99 ontop of a full Sky World 3d UHD package.

But then you ring up and say you're cancelling to get it half price for the next 6 months.
    Because your friend did it last month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,953 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Here we go

58139f79d6c0896cb1cedf77bd4bd802.png

We won't be signing any players this window I'm guessing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,953 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

62f1bfb0465cfa881219aa6d879dca06.png

Yep, not that surprising.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Certainly a world class finisher at one point. Not the same player these days unfortunately. Can still finish but physically and maybe mentally not the same.

He was freakishly consistent that year ye really went close to the title, think he scored in the last 8 games in a row or something and that he was getting more of the 1st or 2nd goals as opposed to Suarez who was getting the run up the score goals more, not to take away from him of course. The opposition having to focus so much on trying to stop him allowed Sturridge more room to work and as you say he is a class finisher.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Here we go

58139f79d6c0896cb1cedf77bd4bd802.png

Extremely disappointing, lack of ambition from the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

He was freakishly consistent that year ye really went close to the title, think he scored in the last 8 games in a row or something and that he was getting more of the 1st or 2nd goals as opposed to Suarez who was getting the run up the score goals more, not to take away from him of course. The opposition having to focus so much on trying to stop him allowed Sturridge more room to work and as you say he is a class finisher.

It really is such a shame he doesn't have the same mobility he used to, to put him into those deadly situations. There was one moment yesterday that summed it up for me - he got the ball in the corner, and make a quick turn and run to try to speed around his man at the by-line. The defender easily outpaced him, won the ball back and played it out to a teammate. The Sturridge of 2 or 3 years ago would have been too quick to handle, but looked just so very slow off the mark in that instance.

Still a great 'in the box, turn a shoot' guy, but has lost that extra dimension he had that made him such a handful everywhere in the final third.

• Advertisement

That's same reason we got £50m for Sterling defenders had there focus on Suarez most of the time and gave the other attackers plenty of space to do their thing and look better than they actually were.

..... I often look at the YouTube goals vids of that year, over 20 goals by Sterling .... unreal..... oh wait...

Sturridge got a good goal to games ratio when Suarez was banned too iirc..... if Bobby was as good without coutinho we would be flying...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Very childish this Sturridge vs Firmino debate or whatever it is.
    I prefer Firmino over Sturridge.

Main reason would be that even if Firmino is not playing well he will still contribute through his work rate & pressing which is vital in our style of play. Sturridge in a different type of player excellent finisher but less suited to our style & I'm still unsure if has made one tackle this season which is incredible. Also Sturridge days of being anywhere near world class are long gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

62f1bfb0465cfa881219aa6d879dca06.png

Yep, not that surprising.

If Pulisic and Brandt are the targets for this club, then I'm very happy tbh. If we avoid signing a player for the sake of it and actually manage to get one of those two in the summer, I doubt too many could look back in hindsight and complain.

Either of them would be fantastic additions.

I can't see either Dortmund or Leverkusen being easy to do a deal with though, as they're both unlikely to want to sell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Yeah it was the first 6 games of that season I think, Suarez on a bitey-ban at the time and we won a lot of those 1-0 with Danny featuring heavily

MD1990 wrote: »
    ..........I'm still unsure if has made one tackle this season which is incredible. ...........

I'd be with Xabi on that one, especially when it comes to strikers Xabi Alonso - ''Tackling is not really a quality'' :)
    We had plenty of the ball v S'ton so pressing & tackling by our strikers wasn't the issue.

also I don't see why it has to be a firmino or Sturridge debate tbh.
    Squad game etc etc and we are mid season.

Sturridge might be remembered by many for injuries after a great season full of goals. Who'll remember the 1 in 3 striker who was great at tackling and pressing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

garra wrote: »
    Yeah it was the first 6 games of that season I think, Suarez on a bitey-ban at the time and we won a lot of those 1-0 with Danny featuring heavily

1-0 Stoke (Sturridge)
    1-0 Villa (Sturridge)
    1-0 Utd (Sturridge)
    2-2 Swansea (Sturridge, Moses)
    0-1 Southampton

Then Suarez was back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Augeo wrote: »
    I'd be with Xabi on that one, especially when it comes to strikers Xabi Alonso - ''Tackling is not really a quality'' :)
    We had plenty of the ball v S'ton so pressing & tackling by our strikers wasn't the issue.

also I don't see why it has to be a firmino or Sturridge debate tbh.
    Squad game etc etc and we are mid season.

Sturridge might be remembered by many for injuries after a great season full of goals. Who'll remember the 1 in 3 striker who was great at tackling and pressing?
    Either do I. But I'm not the one making Firmino jibes like a child when Sturridge gets criticised. Although Agent Coulsen did start it all.

I never mentioned the Southampton game either but Sturridge's lack of movement & runs in behind are another part of his game which needs to improve.

Dirk Kuyt is very fondly remembered by Liverpool fans.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Augeo wrote: »
    Who'll remember the 1 in 3 striker who was great at tackling and pressing?

Dirk Kuyt? Granted he didn't play as a striker consistently, but that's what he was signed for and played there a good few times. He was 1 in 4 and plenty remember him with fondness, precisely for his workrate and attitude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Very childish this Sturridge vs Firmino debate or whatever it is.
    I prefer Firmino over Sturridge.

Main reason would be that even if Firmino is not playing well he will still contribute through his work rate & pressing which is vital in our style of play. Sturridge in a different type of player excellent finisher but less suited to our style & I'm still unsure if has made one tackle this season which is incredible. Also Sturridge days of being anywhere near world class are long gone.
    As you said, he is still a great finisher and will definitely do a job for someone with a different style of play to us.

The question now is who will we buy to replace him next summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Extremely disappointing, lack of ambition from the manager.

FYP ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

There's only so much galvanizing we can put up before the roofs collapsing in on us.

If Klopp can't buy someone he'd want to get long term then there is no point in buying someone who he isn't fully happy with. We are undeniably thin in depth, but it is our form at the minute that is causing any anxiety. We will play better than we have in recent games, although whether we can do it often enough to make this a very good season is a different matter. Everything will need to go perfectly nearly in order to win the league, and that was always the case.

3rd and a cup will be a very good season for us. CL places alone will be a good season. Winning the league would be indescribable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Klopp is basically Avon Barksdale, happy to organise the local hoodlums to perfectly run the drug business in the projects and sink estates. And does it superbly.
    But don't talk to him about investing in high end condos needing planning permission down the seafront, he's happy with his corners.

Either do I. But I'm not the one making Firmino jibes like a child when Sturridge gets criticised. Although Agent Coulsen did start it all.

I never mentioned the Southampton game either but Sturridge's lack of movement & runs in behind are another part of his game which needs to improve.

Dirk Kuyt is very fondly remembered by Liverpool fans.

I started all what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Klopp is basically Avon Barksdale, happy to organise the local hoodlums to perfectly run the drug business in the projects and sink estates. And does it superbly.
    But don't talk to him about investing in high end condos needing planning permission down the seafront, he's happy with his corners.

Great show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

So do we need to bring in a Stringer Bell to work with him???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Nah, we need to Brother Mouzone up in this bitch.

kfallon wrote: »
    So do we need to bring in a Stringer Bell to work with him???

Nah, he posts in the united thread. Leave him where he is.

Mourinho is Marlo Stanfield. He has all the money and muscle, but it'll all end in tears (hopefully).

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Retired Sturridge
    william-bunk-moreland-512x512.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

Hmmmm I don't see it. I wanna say "True dat" but.....................

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement