Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Front page of this week's Waterford today

Options
  • 18-11-2016 11:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭

A lovely big ad for a black Friday sale in McDonagh junction in Kilkenny. So many things wrong with that it's unreal.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

Im sure the 2nd page (Real 1st Page) has an article about shopping Local

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

If some shopping centre in Newry paid WT a few grand for a full front page splash I'd have no problem with that, it's called advertising and there should be no editorial input on that esp for shopping!

ps City Square have the full back page (some will no doubt read plenty into that!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Boooourns

If some shopping centre in Newry paid WT a few grand for a full front page splash I'd have no problem with that, it's called advertising and there should be no editorial input on that esp for shopping!

ps City Square have the full back page (some will no doubt read plenty into that!)

A critical time of the year in the city with regards to Christmas shopping, shops struggling during the year and theyre greeted with a front page ad in a free local paper to shop in a different county.
    But greed is good though yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Deiseen

Boooourns wrote: »

A critical time of the year in the city with regards to Christmas shopping, shops struggling during the year and theyre greeted with a front page ad in a free local paper to shop in a different county.
    A lovely big ad for a black Friday sale in McDonagh junction in Kilkenny. So many things wrong with that it's unreal.
    So much wrong with this thread it's unreal. Yes, ideally it would have a big lovely advert on the front page for Waterford BUT it's a private business and can do what it likes.

What would you suggest then? I'd suggest Waterford business cough up enough to get the front page, you'd start censoring and restricting based on an address by the sound of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭The Bowling Alley

I wouldn't really have a problem with it tbh. Both free sheets have a front page with KK businesses on it this week. It should take a lot of money for newspapers to give up their front page as it's what's supposed to sell the paper. I know the free sheets don't have to worry about that but I see the Munster had a car dealer on their front page recently too. That was a brave move as I thought it was the Waterford Mail when I picked it up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

If Waterford people decided to support Waterford jobs it would not matter what ad is in a local paper. However, Waterford people supporting Waterford jobs/people is something Waterford people are not good at unfortunately. So in other words the ad means nothing it is the mind-set of people in Waterford that matters.

What would you suggest then? I'd suggest Waterford business cough up enough to get the front page, you'd start censoring and restricting based on an address by the sound of it.

Yes I would restrict ads from other counties no doubt about it, the paper is called Waterford today but it looks like they're willing to ignore the stories they produce all year about how the city is struggling for a quick buck.
    The paper is payed for by local businesses who advertise in it all year, it's bad taste what have done with the upcoming Christmas shopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,436 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I wouldn't really have a problem with it tbh. Both free sheets have a front page with KK businesses on it this week. It should take a lot of money for newspapers to give up their front page as it's what's supposed to sell the paper. I know the free sheets don't have to worry about that but I see the Munster had a car dealer on their front page recently too. That was a brave move as I thought it was the Waterford Mail when I picked it up

I saw that and thought it was a bad idea. I sometimes buy the paper, but usually because there is something that catches my interest on the front page. The car ad put me off completely and I didn't bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

looksee wrote: »
    I saw that and thought it was a bad idea. I sometimes buy the paper, but usually because there is something that catches my interest on the front page. The car ad put me off completely and I didn't bother.

Nearly same..always buy one of em every Tuesday but that would put me off that one that week or else i just wouldn't notice it as i ain't buying a car anytime soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Nobody takes Waterford Today serious anyway. They are constantly looking to recruit, very very bad sign.....I wonder why people don't stay there?

Nobody takes Waterford Today serious anyway. They are constantly looking to recruit, very very bad sign.....I wonder why people don't stay there?

I don't think I agree with that. I'd favour them over the mail any day of the week. At least they're local.

One thing that does annoy me though...I have a NO JUNK MAIL sign on my door and that doesn't seem to stop them putting in a waterford today with about 20 take away flyers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Maybe it's time to demolish the bridges to stop people going shopping in these foreign counties. Get Donald over to build a wall around the rest of the county.

Or maybe stop overreacting to an ad.

JohnC. wrote: »
    Maybe it's time to demolish the bridges to stop people going shopping in these foreign counties. Get Donald over to build a wall around the rest of the county.

Or maybe stop overreacting to an ad.

Maybe I give a shyte about the city.

Maybe I give a shyte about the city.

Bully for you, emphasis increasingly on bully.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,766 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Waterford Today should refuse advertising so that small minded folks wont get upset? A pathetic thought really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

I'd rather look at a car dealer than the shyte on the front of the news & star each week ;)

lertsnim wrote: »
    Waterford Today should refuse advertising so that small minded folks wont get upset? A pathetic thought really.

Surprised you can't see the bigger picture since your standing in your high tower looking down on us.

Bully for you, emphasis increasingly on bully.

Haha what?!?

I'd rather look at a car dealer than the shyte on the front of the news & star each week ;)

I know you takin the pi$$ but I always buy one of them, because I find it good way of finding out what's happening around.stuff that doesn't appear on line or on here for example and probably a fair bit more accurate then stuff you might read on line.

• Advertisement

Max Powers wrote: »
    I know you takin the pi$$ but I always buy one of them, because I find it good way of finding out what's happening around.stuff that doesn't appear on line or on here for example and probably a fair bit more accurate then stuff you might read on line.

I wasnt taking the piss

I think he thinks that supposed to be offensive to me in some way 🙄

I think he thinks that supposed to be offensive to me in some way 🙄

Offensive how?

If only I knew but you quoted me!

I wasnt taking the piss

C'mon moose,I saw you buying both n&s and the Munster last Tuesday morning. In the centra on quay.;-)

Max Powers wrote: »
    C'mon moose,I saw you buying both n&s and the Munster last Tuesday morning. In the centra on quay.;-)

Ha ha i like to keep abreast of things and will always buy local,even if they are both printed outside of Waterford :)

Ha ha i like to keep abreast of things and will always buy local,even if they are both printed outside of Waterford :)

Is the Munster not printed in Waterford?

Confession..bought both last week, one because I wanted to be up to date on local goings on, bought other one because needed something to read and headlines on independent and times were more crap about trump and how world is gonna end because of trump.

Is the Munster not printed in Waterford?

Is the News & Star ?

• Advertisement

Is the News & Star ?
    You said they're both not printed in Waterford but doesn't the Munster have a printing place on o Connell street?

Advertisement