Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Front page of this week's Waterford today

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭JMT2016

road_high wrote: »
    Waterford is not the regional equivalent of cork or limerick in the SE though, talk about delusions of grandeur.

Unfortunately, people apply your mindset to say that the South East isn't a region equivalent of the South West or Mid-West either.

It's a real pity because then our region loses out on vital services like emergency cardiac care, universities, IDA investment etc... etc...

The South East is actually the *best* region for the reasons you state. It has a reasonable equality in that the capital (Waterford) isn't overheated or overpriced compared to the region as a whole.

People in Wexford have the regional concert venue, Kilkenny, the regional stadium and Waterford regional university hospital etc...

It's actually a success story of balanced regional development, which would be so much better if we pulled together, but no, let's just jibe each other on internet forums instead...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

BBM77 wrote: »
    If they moved the cardiac lab in Cork to Tralee or from Limerick to Ennis there would be an equally big outcry. It would be the same kind of thing, moving services to somewhere with a fraction of the population of where it currently is.

Ironically the cath lab in Limerick was upgraded and so patients who used to go to Cork , now go to Limerick , as well as tralee patients who used to go to Cork, they now go to Limerick

Cork did not have he numbers needed to support its cath lab , especially if Wwaterford got a second lab.

So they used the stupid "county jersey rivals" in the southeast as reason to say we had half the population and prevent Waterford getting a second lab .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭JMT2016

Chiparus wrote: »
    Ironically the cath lab in Limerick was upgraded and so patients who used to go to Cork , now go to Limerick , as well as tralee patients who used to go to Cork, they now go to Limerick

Cork did not have he numbers needed to support its cath lab , especially if Wwaterford got a second lab.

So they used the stupid "county jersey rivals" in the southeast as reason to say we had half the population and prevent Waterford getting a second lab .

Exhibit A.

I just don't understand it, there are 20 of these labs in Dublin - how are they justified on the grounds of population?

Talk about the South East region shooting itself in the foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Boooourns

lertsnim wrote: »
    There must be no bigger picture so. Just another phrase thrown around to try and make your point seem valid.

Must be my small mind at work again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

Waterford is not the regional equivalent of cork or limerick in the SE though, talk about delusions of grandeur. Bless
    Cork limerick are many times bigger than their relatives serfs, Waterford roughly only twice that of other SE towns so has never warranted the laughable and absolutely meaningless "regional capital" it's paranoid citizens fawned up on it.

Waterford is the regional capital. One of the reasons we are lacking the services that other regional capitals have is because of exactly this pathetic attitude from people in the surrounding areas. The fact that you would even suggest that Waterford people are “paranoid citizens” over what happened, particularly over the course of Enda Kenny’s time as Taoiseach, shows you do not have a clue of the reality of what happened. Before you come on here judging a city that has provided the people of your county with employment for literally hundreds of years find out what really happened in the world outside your bubble and you will see that we have every reason to be annoyed at how we have been treated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Going back to the Waterford Today, I do think it's a horrible trend they've gotten into, by selling off their front page to garner more money. At times, I couldn't be bothered to even open it.
    The front page should be full of information, pictures, interesting articles regarding our county - which makes me open the newspaper and look through it properly. This in turn lets me view the advertising inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭fuzzy dunlop

BBM77 wrote: »
    Waterford is not the regional equivalent of cork or limerick in the SE though, talk about delusions of grandeur. Bless
    Cork limerick are many times bigger than their relatives serfs, Waterford roughly only twice that of other SE towns so has never warranted the laughable and absolutely meaningless "regional capital" it's paranoid citizens fawned up on it.

Waterford is the regional capital. One of the reasons we are lacking the services that other regional capitals have is because of exactly this pathetic attitude from people in the surrounding areas. The fact that you would even suggest that Waterford people are paranoid citizens over what happened, particularly over the course of Enda Kenny s time as Taoiseach, shows you do not have a clue of the reality of what happened. Before you come on here judging a city that has provided the people of your county with employment for literally hundreds of years find out what really happened in the world outside your bubble and you will see that we have every reason to be annoyed at how we have been treated.
    The fact Road_High has to make these ludicrous statements probably means he is unconvinced by them. He seems to get off on the idea that Waterford is less than some of the other cities even though this means in practice Kilkenny is even more diminished. It's text book peasant thinking and it I don't mean it in a pejorative way. It's just a classic example of a mentality. They destroyed the hospital network of the whole region ( and half their own county) for a few short term crumbs for their local hospital. When their old and terminally ill have to rely on a remote hospital in Dublin they will still find some way to blame Waterford instead of their own resentment. The bad news for him is that the population statistics for Kilkenny City includes the adjacent rural area. It means the urban population is closer to a third that of.Waterford. So you have to ask yourself what he has to do to make himself feel better:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 102 ✭✭Kadser

Chiparus wrote: »
    Ironically the cath lab in Limerick was upgraded and so patients who used to go to Cork , now go to Limerick ,
    Hope the road to Limerick is in good condition because its Waterford rail line is due to get scrapped.

iseegirls wrote: »
    Going back to the Waterford Today, I do think it's a horrible trend they've gotten into, by selling off their front page to garner more money. At times, I couldn't be bothered to even open it.
    The front page should be full of information, pictures, interesting articles regarding our county - which makes me open the newspaper and look through it properly. This in turn lets me view the advertising inside.
    Waterford Today is a small business. Look at their offices in Mayor's walk! It is a tiny century old house. People seem to forget it is also free! How do you expect them to make money?

I think people are losing the plot here in fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

It's something the upstart Waterford Mail did first and WT have followed. I agree about the nature of these front page splashes but they pay the bills.
    Kadser wrote: »
    Hope the road to Limerick is in good condition because its Waterford rail line is due to get scrapped.

It's a cart track (not a go cart!).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

The office looks tiny to be fair, has anyone ever been inside? I don't even think they have a receptionist do they!

It's a cart track (not a go cart!).
    You realise the Waterford-Limerick railway line is due to get abolished? Having the cath lab in Limerick will be pointless for patients in Waterford.

It's the shiote road I was referring to.

Waterford Today is a small business. Look at their offices in Mayor's walk! It is a tiny century old house. People seem to forget it is also free! How do you expect them to make money?

Ahhhhhhh how many times!!!! By selling ads to local businesses!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,766 ✭✭✭lertsnim

You haven't a clue how business works Boooourns if you think Waterford Today should turn down a full page advert for a business outside of Waterford just to keep people like you happy.

You haven't a clue how business works Boooourns if you think Waterford Today should turn down a full page advert for a business outside of Waterford just to keep people like you happy.

Mad how local ads kept them in business for this long isn't it? then again what do I know.

Boooourns wrote: »
    Mad how local ads kept them in business for this long isn't it? then again what do I know.

Very little it appears, full of opinion and without any recourse of knowledge. If it so offends thee e-mail WT and challenge them.

Very little it appears, full of opinion and without any recourse of knowledge. If it so offends thee e-mail WT and challenge them.

And what makes you an expert? please tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Is their main aim to provide news entertainment and sport to Waterford City and County, or an excuse to run adverts so that the execs can fill their pockets and just clutter up people's letter boxes with rubbish?

Must be very frustrating to be a reporter in there, if their main story is hidden behind a front cover of adverts. Billy McCarthy death should be the main story on the front page this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,435 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Waterford Today is FREE. It covers costs and makes a living for the people operating it by selling ads. You get a bit (quite a bit really) of news thrown in. I doubt there are too many 'execs' or that it makes a fortune.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Can someone kill this thread?

longshanks wrote: »
    Can someone kill this thread?

Hope your using a local hitman.

Is their main aim to provide news entertainment and sport to Waterford City and County, or an excuse to run adverts so that the execs can fill their pockets and just clutter up people's letter boxes with rubbish?

Must be very frustrating to be a reporter in there, if their main story is hidden behind a front cover of adverts. Billy McCarthy death should be the main story on the front page this week.
    Their main aim is to make money. It's a private company. What is it about this you are failing to compute? It is no different to a corner shop in that regard. Newspapers in general even ones with global readership struggle to make money. How to you expect a free newspaper to do so without advertising? If you don't like it don't read it. It's not obligatory. Go down to the office and ask them to stop delivering and they will.

Boooourns wrote: »

You are frankly losing the plot on this! If Waterford Today provides a service which they do i.e. advertising they can not legally prevent a business taking out an advertisement with them. It does not matter where that business is from. If everybody operated along the lines you are thinking what do you think would happen? You think we would be flourishing? We wouldn't. All of a sudden small businesses and tradesmen would be cut off from their market. A plumber or electrician who suddenly would be unable to work across the bridge in Ferry bank for example. It would be impossible for anyone to set up a business here because they would not have access to trade services in neighboring counties. Not to mention the fact that you would be paying more for less in general. The astonishing thing is that people try to justify this nonsense in this day and age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

This has to be one of the worst threads EVER posted on the Waterford City forum.

Good luck to the newspaper and well done to McDonagh Junction for INVESTING

their money in a local newspaper. Kilkenny is a great little town and plenty going

on there too. I wonder if it is the absence of Liam McCarthy from the county's

border that has the populous here so anti-Kilkenny!!

This has to be one of the worst threads EVER posted on the Waterford City forum.

Good luck to the newspaper and well done to McDonagh Junction for INVESTING

their money in a local newspaper. Kilkenny is a great little town and plenty going

on there too. I wonder if it is the absence of Liam McCarthy from the county's

border that has the populous here so anti-Kilkenny!!

The worst thread that contains the worst post, congratulations for missing the point entirely. You're a bit odd.

The best way to close this thread is to get Kilkenny Today to publish a Waterford advert on its front page.

The best way to close this thread is to get Kilkenny Today to publish a Waterford advert on its front page.

Id nearly take the ad out myself at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

that is a decision purely on Waterford business, if they want to any of them can if they put the money up and pay for the advertising.... its not complicated its called business...
    Waterford today are a small newspaper trying to get by in a world more and more dominated by online content, where newspaper are really struggling.. they cant really afford to turn down big advertising bucks....

If you are so concerned OP why dont you contact Waterford today and agree to buy the front page advertising rights for November to January to ensure no other county can take it.... (but I bet you won't... )

• Advertisement

robtri wrote: »
    that is a decision purely on Waterford business, if they want to any of them can if they put the money up and pay for the advertising.... its not complicated its called business...
    Waterford today are a small newspaper trying to get by in a world more and more dominated by online content, where newspaper are really struggling.. they cant really afford to turn down big advertising bucks....

If you are so concerned OP why dont you contact Waterford today and agree to buy the front page advertising rights for November to January to ensure no other county can take it.... (but I bet you won't... )

Oh ffs. I have a headache now.

Advertisement