Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Front page of this week's Waterford today

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Kill this thread. Kill it, delete it, erase it from memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Their main aim is to make money. It's a private company. What is it about this you are failing to compute? It is no different to a corner shop in that regard. Newspapers in general even ones with global readership struggle to make money. How to you expect a free newspaper to do so without advertising? If you don't like it don't read it. It's not obligatory. Go down to the office and ask them to stop delivering and they will.

Have I said that they shouldn't have advertising? I'm saying that they should position adverts in a correct way throughout the newspaper. Front pages and headlines entice readers to look through it, and not a big advert on the front.

That said, inside the paper, it does a better job than Waterford Mail, which is truly awful. Get past the middle of the paper and it's wall to wall adverts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭fuzzy dunlop

iseegirls wrote: »
    Their main aim is to make money. It's a private company. What is it about this you are failing to compute? It is no different to a corner shop in that regard. Newspapers in general even ones with global readership struggle to make money. How to you expect a free newspaper to do so without advertising? If you don't like it don't read it. It's not obligatory. Go down to the office and ask them to stop delivering and they will.

Have I said that they shouldn't have advertising? I'm saying that they should position adverts in a correct way throughout the newspaper. Front pages and headlines entice readers to look through it, and not a big advert on the front.

That said, inside the paper, it does a better job than Waterford Mail, which is truly awful. Get past the middle of the paper and it's wall to wall adverts.
    This is not an unusual practice at this time of year. If I am not mistaken the main local papers have done it too at different times. I think the paper is quiet good for what it is. My own interaction with it is has been on occasion to get a letter printed. However a lot of freelancers advertise in the classified sections which they find invaluable.

Advertisement