Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to know when buying a pony

Options
  • 18-11-2016 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭

Hi just looking for any advise and information one should know when purchasing a pony. My daughter is 12 and riding a year. I've been riding a few months taking it slow need help starting a canter.
    Would be hoping to get a pony we could both ride but I like slow and predictable and the kid likes lively! Going to have a chat with one of the ladies at the centre about costs to keep the pony there but would like to have a little idea of what I'm talking about first! Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭granturismo

I think you need to justify to yourself why you need to buy a pony - can you and your daughter not access suitable ponies in the riding centre. Your daughter has only been riding a year, I'd give it another year or more. Get her to help out at the yard.

If she wants to compete outside the riding centre - secondary school teams jump 80cm or 1m or 1.10m fences. Realistically how far away she from humping a course of 16 x 80cm fences? Pony clubs offer lower heights for their competitions. Do you have access to transport?

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭RubyGlee

Hi thanks for your reply. TBH I haven't tried to justify buying it. She enjoys riding and so do I and would like her own pony. She isn't jumping outside yeti. She may or may not even want to do things like compitions. I know once you get a certain age you can't jump ponies them.
    The centre does have a good selection I will admit and she usually rides the same two,
    I would assume having her own pony she could build a relationship with be better for het. Do you disagree?
    Would you think a year is not long enough to be riding? The last thing I want is to ruin her love of riding and of course it seems to be a large expanse that I wouldn't want to waste. As you can tell I'm sure I don't have much experience and am a little ignorant about what's involved so appreciate your candor

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭beechwood55

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭isaos

Hello,
    Your daughter is going to change a lot in the next 2 or 3 years, so the size of a pony bought now might become a problem. She is also going to learn a lot in these 2/3 years, and her needs will change and might become very different from yours. I totally agree with Granturismo, it seems a bit premature to buy a pony... She will also learn much more by riding different ponies, it's all part of the riding experience!

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,552 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

OP, buying a pony aside, how much do you or your daughter know about caring for a pony? Full livery is great for the most part but decisions regarding the ponies lifestyle/health etc will ultimately come down to you. Would you know enough to be able to make those decisions? Would it be worth you and your daughter (obviously amount of time at this will vary) helping out during free time at the riding school and learning the basic ins and outs of equine care before committing to buy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Bunnyslippers

I definitly wouldn't buy for another few years yet, owning a pony is very expensive, not to mention if anything happens health wise to the pony and you can't ride it for months or more youll be forking out for lessons as well as vet and livery fees, what happens if the pony becomes unrideable or unsaleable can you afford to keep it for the rest of its life as well as then get a second/more riding lessons etc!? A pony is a huge commitment and as you're both just starting out you'll learn a million times more riding lots of different horses/ponies to gain experience, plus if one is out of action then you've got back ups. Plus it sounds like you both need very different horses so one of you is going to be either under or over horsed which is never fun for either and could make one or both of you loose confidence or intrest.

You really need to know what you are doing when buying as its a minefield, you could end up with a pony that is unsuitable or your daughter out grows but has become attached to, plus as she gets older you need to be sure she's really serious and doesn't loose intrest once boys/school etc take over, a horse is a 24/7, 365 day a year commitment possibly for the rest of its life so I'd keep learning for the mo or possibly look at a part time loan if you're really serious as it will give your daughter a better understanding of the time etc needed and you an idea of the financial outlay and the realities of getting horses fit, feeding, care, grazing, vet, farrier, tack etc.

I've had horses for years, 24 of them at one point!, but have none at the mo as just had a baby, but when my little fellow is old enough to learn to ride I will not be buying one, I'll be going down the riding school route, I've been down the other, got the t shirt etc my little fellow would have to show years of dedication, ability and interest before I even considered buying again, it is worthwhile and I love horses but the amount of time, effort and money not to mention the inevitable injuries/lameness is something I'm happy for others to do for a good while yet!!!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭horsefarm

Cost wise horses can throw a spanner in the works. I currently have one on 9 months box rest for tendon injury plus a heap of vet bills. You can never predict how much they will cost you. The cheapest part is buying them. I've had another limp in from the field with career ending injuries so she was an expensive field ornament for another 18 years after that.

With regard to your daughter developing a bond... That's good for teaching your horse to ride one horse. A good rider can ride many different horses. I got my first horse at 16 years (after riding for 12 years) and that's probably when my progress slowed. Yes I can ride my own horses well but put me up on another horse and I'm nervous and crap and out of my comfort zone.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭RubyGlee

So I had a chat with one of the instructors at the centre and she said pretty much the same as ye. I didn't realise the amount of time that would have to be dedicated either. Going to wait for now. Thanks for replies

Advertisement