Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Malin to mizen help

Options
  • 18-11-2016 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭

Few of us 15 roughly are thinking of doing this next may/June. Thinking of going up on the Thursday and cycling down in 3 days i.e. Friday/Saturday/Sunday. What i am hoping is someone may have ideas on how to transport bikes luggage and cyclists to malin. We will be able to get someone to drive a van with us on way down acting as support vehicle. Any help with this or with routes/hotels etc will be greatly appreciated. Will be leaving from workplace in millstreet and will be raising funds for an as yet undecided charity. Like i said any help would be great thank you.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

ciaeim wrote: »
    Few of us 15 roughly are thinking of doing this next may/June. Thinking of going up on the Thursday and cycling down in 3 days i.e. Friday/Saturday/Sunday. What i am hoping is someone may have ideas on how to transport bikes luggage and cyclists to malin. We will be able to get someone to drive a van with us on way down acting as support vehicle. Any help with this or with routes/hotels etc will be greatly appreciated. Will be leaving from workplace in millstreet and will be raising funds for an as yet undecided charity. Like i said any help would be great thank you.

Enjoy the headwind (probably ).

Last post in this thread might have some useful information
    http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2055749343/1/#post97384756

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

ford2600 wrote: »
    Enjoy the headwind (probably ).

Last post in this thread might have some useful information
    http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2055749343/1/#post97384756

I was gonna say, I'd be looking at doing it the other way around.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I done it over 5 days in 2014. I would advise you to do it Mizen to Malin as your more likely to have a tail wind in that direction.

We went
    Mizen
    Bantry
    Tralee (via Caha Pass/Molls Gap)
    Tarbert (for the ferry across Shannon)
    Kilrush
    Lisdoonvarna
    Claregalway
    Claremorris
    Sligo
    Donegal Town
    Letterkenny
    Buncrana
    Malin head.

I think it worked out at roughly 650kms in total.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭youtheman

We did it South to North this year. We hired a 25 seater bus for 1100 for the two trips (to drop us down to Mizen and then collect us again at Malin a few days later). Some of the bikes went in the hold, and some went in the cabin. Just bring loads of bubble warp and cardboard. Think this will be the cheapest and best alternative for a group your size.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Regarding hotel accommodation, you'll need to book well in advance if you intend to lodge 15 people in peak season. Might be easier and cheaper to do it mid-week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

15 of us did Malin-Mizen in June. We had a tailwind the WHOLE way, so don't be too put off by anyone telling you to do it S to N. Re bike transport, I recommend you contact Kieran Flynn at Flynns Coaches in Castlemaine, Kerry. He has a purpose built bike trailer which worked a treat, and he was great to deal with.
    We did it over 4 days, so our stops will be different to yours if youre doing it over 3 days.

outfox wrote: »
    15 of us did Malin-Mizen in June. We had a tailwind the WHOLE way...
    I did Mizen to Malin in June and your tailwind was my headwind the whole way up!

But in fairness, the prevailing wind is usually from the south west.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

Done it twice.
    Both times S to N
    Both times head wind
    Both times hated having he tail wind into my face.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

bit drunk, but there is a regualr bus service from dublin to the northen spot (malin? mizen? I get them mixed up) who are used to cyclists and not too expensive (mcginleys?).

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭ciaeim

Thanks guys for your help. Will get on phone next week and start getting prices etc. Lots more organising to do than 'simply' getting on bike and cycling like i first thought 😉

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭ciaeim

youtheman wrote: »
    We did it South to North this year. We hired a 25 seater bus for 1100 for the two trips (to drop us down to Mizen and then collect us again at Malin a few days later). Some of the bikes went in the hold, and some went in the cabin. Just bring loads of bubble warp and cardboard. Think this will be the cheapest and best alternative for a group your size.

Any harm in asking who was the bus company thanks

saccades wrote: »
    bit drunk, but there is a regualr bus service from dublin to the northen spot (malin? mizen? I get them mixed up) who are used to cyclists and not too expensive (mcginleys?).

We used McGinleys twice before for getting to malin (or near malin). Not a bother both times (Friday evenings).

saccades wrote: »
    McGinley's go as far as Carndonagh from Dublin (via Derry). It's approx 20kms from Carndonagh to Malin Head.

outfox wrote: »
    15 of us did Malin-Mizen in June. We had a tailwind the WHOLE way, so don't be too put off by anyone telling you to do it S to N. Re bike transport, I recommend you contact Kieran Flynn at Flynns Coaches in Castlemaine, Kerry. He has a purpose built bike trailer which worked a treat, and he was great to deal with.
    We did it over 4 days, so our stops will be different to yours if youre doing it over 3 days.

That may have been so but most of the time we have a S>N or westerly wind system. Its not very often we have a northerly wind during summer months, not saying it doesn't happen but its very rare. There is a weather station 200m from my home, I can see it from my bedroom window and use it to decide what way to go when going out for a cycle. I can count on one hand the number of times I turned right from my house so as to have a tail wind on my way home again. 99 times out of 100 its a south/westerly wind.

That may have been so but most of the time we have a S>N or westerly wind system. Its not very often we have a northerly wind during summer months, not saying it doesn't happen but its very rare. There is a weather station 200m from my home, I can see it from my bedroom window and use it to decide what way to go when going out for a cycle. I can count on one hand the number of times I turned right from my house so as to have a tail wind on my way home again. 99 times out of 100 its a south/westerly wind.

99 %? Not quite

http://www.met.ie/climate-ireland/wind.asp

Lovely little diagram there for Malin head

ford2600 wrote: »
    99 %? Not quite

http://www.met.ie/climate-ireland/wind.asp

Lovely little diagram there for Malin head

That's over a 60year period. I've only been cycling 5 years and my observations are that during summer months, the wind is predominantly from the south or west.

That's over a 60year period. I've only been cycling 5 years and my observations are that during summer months, the wind is predominantly from the south or west.

Who needs metrology, statistics etc when all you need is a bike, random data points and the superior data storage device that is human memory 😅

My father kept a 5 yr daily log of rainfall to 1mm accuracy and data was inputed into spread excel sheets.

After a bout of heavy rain; "worst summer/year ever" "we never had rain like that" "global warming" etc etc.

Rain never varied more than about +/- 70mm from 1200mm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭youtheman

ciaeim wrote: »
    Any harm in asking who was the bus company thanks

http://www.deasycoaches.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

http://www.met.ie/climate/monthly-weather-reports.asp. Choose 'Wind Roses' and pick your month.

Malin Head Prevailing Wind directions 2016:
    Jan: S - SE
    Feb: W - S
    Mar: S - SW
    Apr: N - E
    May: E
    Jun: E
    Jul: W
    Aug: W - S
    Sep: S - SW
    Oct: SE

Winter (Dec 2015, Jan-Feb 2016) : S - SW
    Spring (Mar-May): Primarily E - (an even mix of N - W - S)
    Summer (Jun - Aug): Primarily W - SW.

Haven't got Autumn 2016 up yet.

Prevailing winds depend a lot on the placement of the high altitude Jet Stream which steers atlantic weather systems. Typical winter location steers low pressure systems to our North West resulting in SW wind directions. Typical summer conditions leave the low pressure systems further north and we are more likely to get high pressure systems with light variable and often N/E breezes. Late spring, early summer have a better chance of northerly than winter.

Advertisement