Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Grand Tour

18910111214»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

Have you tried signing up for a free 30-day trial of Amazon Prime? I signed up for the free trial last night, even though I got the free trial last year too.

I had the free trial earlier this month, and cancelled it after a week.
    I thought primes selection of shows was poor.

There's other ways to watch TGT.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭V8 Interceptor

pa990 wrote: »

There's other ways to watch TGT.

Could you hint or drop me a PM?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Not worth it for season 3 anyway. Its crap.

What didn't you like about season 3? I didn't like season 1 and didn't finish it but thought season 2 was a big improvement. I usually skip the celebrity guests but thought it's pretty good in season 2 along with the decent news and challenges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,407 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Season 3 seems very forced to me, like they're straining for ideas. The episode they did where they did a segment on Jim Clark was the best one so far because you could see they were actually interested in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

DaveyDave wrote: »
    What didn't you like about season 3? I didn't like season 1 and didn't finish it but thought season 2 was a big improvement. I usually skip the celebrity guests but thought it's pretty good in season 2 along with the decent news and challenges.

Yea to me they're kind of dialling it in, it's Top Gear by numbers - go on a colombia special, crash into eachother "accidentally", leave one behind, go over a wobbly bridge & end. It's just not as funny as it once was IMO. Dunno if maybe I'm just tired of it or is it actually worse now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,147 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Yea to me they're kind of dialling it in, it's Top Gear by numbers - go on a colombia special, crash into eachother "accidentally", leave one behind, go over a wobbly bridge & end. It's just not as funny as it once was IMO. Dunno if maybe I'm just tired of it or is it actually worse now.

I think the fact that they actually look like old men now doesn't help the formula either. Hard to pull of Laddish behaviour when you have kids who are of a more appropriate age for hosting the show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 853 ✭✭✭edburg

Not sure if it's me or the type of show that's growing old, it's still entertainment but I think it more has it's moments.

I have just watched tuck tuck thing on top gear and can't help think some of the imagery is better and script.

Possibly a case of some parts (valuable crew) was left behind at top gear and left both shows a little bit lacking.

edburg wrote: »
    Not sure if it's me or the type of show that's growing old, it's still entertainment but I think it more has it's moments.

I have just watched tuck tuck thing on top gear and can't help think some of the imagery is better and script.

Possibly a case of some parts (valuable crew) was left behind at top gear and left both shows a little bit lacking.

I didn't think that episode was great, but I've always liked Chris Harris & surpised how much I like Matt Leblanc on it. From a car point of view Top gear is the better show, the grand tour has little to do with the cars themselves imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 853 ✭✭✭edburg

I didn't think that episode was great, but I've always liked Chris Harris & surpised how much I like Matt Leblanc on it. From a car point of view Top gear is the better show, the grand tour has little to do with the cars themselves imo.

Not sure either are any different both shows in last week did m5 reports with different alternatives and both had same outcome of sorts and then did a trip of sorts that were not really car related. Both shows had time wasting sections with conversation/celebrity sections.

I don't really see any difference myself other than personalities. Both same for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,283 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

They can get rid of the "token" black guy on top gear. I think he said 3 sentences on the show last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

They can get rid of the "token" black guy on top gear. I think he said 3 sentences on the show last night.

They have. He is gone next year.

Shame actually, I like him but he must have upset someone as he seems to be getting the rubbish assignments compared to the other two.

Neither TGT of TG are doing it for me anymore. Have gone completely off both of them.

Would like to see Clarkson do some more documentaries before he retires. This is where he is at his best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

Vicxas wrote: »
    Season 3 seems very forced to me, like they're straining for ideas. The episode they did where they did a segment on Jim Clark was the best one so far because you could see they were actually interested in it.

They have given up on the studio/tent format.

Season 4 will have no audience, it will be all Epic journeys and tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I hear the show is finished for season 3 and it will be more documentary/special format episodes, possibly like Clarksons DVDs?

On that note, I've never seen any of Clarkson's stuff, are they worth a watch?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The first episode of Season 3 was good - American muscle cars in Detroit. Ep2 and Ep3 was a two part special in Columbia which was average. Ep4 was about good involving crew cab pickups. Ep5 was about Jim Clarke and the Lambo Urus SUV. Ep6 was ok - driving cheap luxobarges in China. Ep 7 last week was around Scotland in 3 Italian GTs, and Clarkson compared the new BMW M5 with the Alpina B5.

FYI - some episodes of Season 3 are up on youtube to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭oldsmokey

bazz26 wrote: »
    The first episode of Season 3 was good - American muscle cars in Detroit. Ep2 and Ep3 was a two part special in Columbia which was average. Ep4 was about good involving crew cab pickups. Ep5 was about Jim Clarke and the Lambo Urus SUV. Ep6 was ok - driving cheap luxobarges in China. Ep 7 last week was around Scotland in 3 Italian GTs, and Clarkson compared the new BMW M5 with the Alpina B5.

FYI - some episodes of Season 3 are up on youtube to watch.

Hi posted by whom? Tried a few, all nonsense, spam

• Advertisement

oldsmokey wrote: »
    Hi posted by whom? Tried a few, all nonsense, spam

I use SNIPPED to stream them

Just got them on SNIPPED. Gonna do a binge watch!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Tzardine wrote: »
    Would like to see Clarkson do some more documentaries before he retires. This is where he is at his best.
    Not just him either T, James and Richard are bloody good at them too. The segments all three of them have done in TGT have been bloody brilliant IMHO. Hammond with Jim Clark, May with Ford versus Ferrari, Jeremy with Lancia and so on. I always found their "adventures" from both TG and TGT to be very hit and miss, famous people on the track ditto, but their mini documentaries on car people and companies for me nearly always hit the mark.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

Clarkson used be the best thing on the BBC (outside the natural history) for a while, maybe 1995 to 2005

Meet the Neighbors, motorworld, the Greatest Raid, the Victoria Cross, the p17, all great.

the vignettes they do in show, Le Man . Jim Clark and the like, who is really driving those? They narrate them for sure.

Outside this, Hammonds shows have been BBC1 fair, so low brow and May, although better, is still limited, his cars of the people is probably his best

Chris Harris on youtube was truely excellent, how did he youtube videos get so good, as in better than a multi million TV show? Where did the money come from, the access to the cars

This has not translated to TG. It should be binned really. The fakenes has just gone off the charts in both shows

The 2000's balance between how it was scripted was brilliant, the trip across the channel was just brilliant.

Vicxas wrote: »
    I thought they were bringing back the very first Stig to do these laps and things?

I'm halfway through the first series on a binge watch. That American "Stig" and his in car commentary just doesn't come off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

For me it's the fact that we know, without a doubt, they are actually a very intelligent group of people. They've done some really good TV.

TGT is simply pandering to a US /Amazon palate for comedy. You can't get an exec to write a cheque if he knows a market of 500m+ people won't get it. Take a look at the Grand Tour subreddit on Reddit and you'd think the entire season was comedy gold. It's baffling.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

It's hackneyed light entertainment. Expensively put together. Nothing more. The entire concept is pretty tired tbh.

p.s. Car S.O.S. is a better show. New series starts tonight too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Top Dog

I'm halfway through the first series on a binge watch. That American "Stig" and his in car commentary just doesn't come off.
    Don't worry - he gets ditched thankfully

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Fat American driver guy is probably the worst thing in the three seasons

(Closely followed by Celebrity Brain Crash)

Gonna do a binge watch!

Watched season 1 & 2 over the last week or two. Usual easy watching TV. Don't know why folk got so worked up on this thread over it!

Their track Jag is only a 4 cylinder. I presume that's so the Celebs are less likely to crash, get injured and sue them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Last episode of the season and the last episode in its current format,i thought it was a great episode some nice nostalgia with the Ford's and clips of them in Top Gear,will be interesting to see how next season goes..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Last episode of the season and the last episode in its current format,i thought it was a great episode some nice nostalgia with the Ford's and clips of them in Top Gear,will be interesting to see how next season goes..

Anything like the Mongolia episode and it'll be all good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,208 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Half of this season had very little shot in the tent.

No harm, a lot of the stuff done in the tent was getting boring.

On the subject of Top Gear. \ off topic\.. I found This Harris's 60sec review of every car quite good. TG should do more of them.. /off topic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,855 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,208 ✭✭✭mikeecho

• Advertisement
Advertisement