Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Grand Tour

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

CruelCoin wrote: »
    Nobody mention the sound yet?

I got a very strong American vibe off it: Bombastic, full of bass.

I thought the music was very overdone for most of it.

I enjoyed the b its where they were not in the tent...
    Joburg next week should be interesting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 666 ✭✭✭maximum12

I noticed both Clarkson and Hammond said Jesus and Jesus Christ a couple of times. Wouldn't have heard that on BBC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Wasn't that impressed tbh, a tired format, just dragged out for 75 minutes from the normal whatever it was, 45 or 50.

I'll give it another week, but must do better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Gavman84

Thought it was good enjoyed it. Glad they don't have any chat and interview segment was my least favourite part of top gear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

It did drag twards the middle before the hypercar showdown but I enjoyed it.

Althugh thats probably because of the 3 lads, the new track is interesting, will lead to some weird leaders on the board in its current setup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Really enjoyed it, great to have them back.

The idea of a travelling tent, pitching up in a different country every week with a different type of audience, was clever. They get to have a stereotypical pop at different nationalities every week :D

Also liked the way they mocked the celebrity section. The 2 part piece of the 3 supercars was great, I just hope they resurrect one thing from Top Gear and that's banger challenges where they have to pick up some wrecks for €1000 quid each.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,003 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Agricola wrote: »
    I just hope they resurrect one thing from Top Gear and that's banger challenges where they have to pick up some wrecks for €1000 quid each.

From looking at the montage and trailers previously I think this is gonna happen alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,611 ✭✭✭goochy

I won't be watching grand tour and not knocking anyone who does but curious to know age group of people who like it ? Top gear is often watched by non car people , I am in my late 30s and consider myself good fun but find all that laddish stuff silly and prefer it being about the cars. For example in New top gear the guy rory drove the new tesla through new York at night. The way it was filmed was amazing much rather that than childish carry on . Just my opinion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭X6.430macman

The geographical problem happens to me is well, but I changed my address to an English one

The geographical problem happens to me is well, but I changed my address to an English one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

goochy wrote: »
    I won't be watching grand tour and not knocking anyone who does but curious to know age group of people who like it ? Top gear is often watched by non car people , I am in my late 30s and consider myself good fun but find all that laddish stuff silly and prefer it being about the cars. For example in New top gear the guy rory drove the new tesla through new York at night. The way it was filmed was amazing much rather that than childish carry on . Just my opinion

I thought in the last few years of TG, they were going too far into the idiotic stuff, just to one up themselves. I personally don't want a tedious car review show from these 3 as they are far better suited to making entertainment, but I wish they'd tone it down a little and focus more on the cars rather than chasing helicopters or driving tanks etc. But I have a feeling with the money they have access to now, that side of it is only going to get worse.

Still, the odd episode like this opener, sprinkled throughout the season, should keep me happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Was a fan of old top gear and really hated new top gear with Chris Evans .

Just watched The grand tour and have to say ..........the BBC must be kicking themselves .

Even tho some of the parts were a bit stupid , the fight scene/ celebrity part/ I n all I enjoyed it and will hang on to the subscription for series after free trial .

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,929 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I loved it! I didn't watch 'new' TG with Chris Evans and Joey - just couldn't bring myself to do it, but Grand Tour was really excellent. You can totally see that Amazon must have just flung a pile of cash at them and gone 'do whatever you want!' :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 694 ✭✭✭imacman

Amazon did a quite no fanfare launch of prime in Canada and Australia and now it looks like they have done the same in Ireland. I signed up for prime last night , the warning that amazon video/music and landing library arent available in your country is gone and I spent last night watching videos and listening to music on prime. Im not using a VPN either

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭nsa0bupkd3948x

imacman wrote: »
    Amazon did a quite no fanfare launch of prime in Canada and Australia and now it looks like they have done the same in Ireland. I signed up for prime last night , the warning that amazon video/music and landing library arent available in your country is gone and I spent last night watching videos and listening to music on prime. Im not using a VPN either

Is everything available? I know some stuff was available abroad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 694 ✭✭✭imacman

Yea , I tries out loads of shows and movies along with the grand tour and it all worked as did the music

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Anjobe

Do you mean your IP address or the postal address in your Amazon account?

I have found all the Prime video stuff in the "Available to Watch Abroad" section (which includes The Grand Tour) works fine with Irish addresses, but everything else fails with the geo restriction error. When I tried with a UK IP none of the Prime video content worked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,954 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

The Hot House Flowers have gone to No. 1 in the UK Rock Chart because of this!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

This is basically only available on prime or will it be on YouTube anytime soon?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It's available the day after it airs on Amazon, if you know where to look (not allowed mentioned where or how on here). :pac:

Also on youtube, albeit small screen and altered sound just enough not to infringe copyright stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Just watched it on youtube. For the first half I was thinking it was so much better than Evans' show - the banter and relationships are so well-esrablished. But I got bored towards the end when there just wasn't anything new or interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

I watched it on a hitherto unmentionable legitimate businessmen's website in full-screen and 720p.

I thought the intro was just fantastic, and while the rest wasn't all electrifyingly amazing, I think it established the show, and I, for one, am glad they're back. It's an entertainment show with cars at its heart, not a motoring journal, and so what if it's silly at times?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The intro alone apparently cost Amazon around €3m to produce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,855 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I see Hothouse Flowers are number 1 on UK iTunes charts after their song went out last week for the shows opening sequence, it's a great tune, better than the original version, could only manage 23rd in UK charts in 1993 when it was released.

http://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2016/1123/833860-hothouse-flowers/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

bazz26 wrote: »
    The intro alone apparently cost Amazon around €3m to produce.

That intro was fantastic.

In a similar vein, some people have far too much time on their hands :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 853 ✭✭✭edburg

That intro was fantastic.

In a similar vein, some people have far too much time on their hands :cool:

I must have missed knightrider knocking the biker out the way on the youtube version :pac::pac::pac::pac:

Way to much time on there hands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭corks finest

kindalen wrote: »
    watched first episode, very like top gear. lot of cheesey scripted bits.

Nice to have the boys back though,son and myself were going into withdrawal symptoms, without top gear,so this will have to do,not too many shows a 13 ,and 57 yr old really enjoy together

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭duffman3833

seen the boys are on YouTube with this called DRIVETRIBE, looks impressive, wonder will it b like behind scenes or unused footage from The Grand Tour or will it be seperate
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQmPSCIUlDQ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭ads20101

seen the boys are on YouTube with this called DRIVETRIBE, looks impressive, wonder will it b like behind scenes or unused footage from The Grand Tour or will it be seperate
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQmPSCIUlDQ

He said it is different.

Doesn't the man have enough money?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

ads20101 wrote: »
    Doesn't the man have enough money?
    At this stage he has more than enough, but I really don't think it's about the money. He has admitted he's a complete workaholic, so can't sit still. Fair enough, though the BBC's Top Gear looks buggered now. Game Over.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    At this stage he has more than enough, but I really don't think it's about the money. He has admitted he's a complete workaholic, so can't sit still. Fair enough, though the BBC's Top Gear looks buggered now. Game Over.

Well, that's damn serious for the beeb.

Top Gear was one of its most profitable exports bringing in millions (if not hundreds of millions) into the British state broadcasters coffers.

With this in mind I expect that they will have another go at another relaunch.

The Trailer for tonights show:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Its probably been asked but ill ask it anyway.

Has anybody here got a Amazon Fire TV and are ye able to watch this here without doing any workarounds.

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,453 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    Its probably been asked but ill ask it anyway.

Has anybody here got a Amazon Fire TV and are ye able to watch this here without doing any workarounds.

Cheers

You don't need any workarounds. This show is available to watch here now, it's not blocked. I assume it'll play fine on the Fire Tv if you have a prime subscription.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

JoeA3 wrote: »
    You don't need any workarounds. This show is available to watch here now, it's not blocked. I assume it'll play fine on the Fire Tv if you have a prime subscription.

Yep, just watched it on the laptop no problem. Can only watch amazon originals though.

Might stay away from the Fire TV now.

Ok just watched ep 2

My review:

The best fecking top gear / grand tour episode EVER!!!

Far better than the first episode and I liked that one a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,407 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Episode 2 was much less Americany and a lot more like classic Top Gear.

That Aston Martin Vulcan is insane.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I see Hothouse Flowers are number 1 on UK iTunes charts after their song went out last week for the shows opening sequence, it's a great tune, better than the original version, could only manage 23rd in UK charts in 1993 when it was released.

http://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2016/1123/833860-hothouse-flowers/

Love the lyrics....."I can see Cleary's now the crane has gone" :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

2nd episode is very good.

Really enjoyed that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Melodeon

Patww79 wrote: »
    One of the American cousins made a hames of encoding the 5.1 surround audio tracks, loosing the one with the dialogue audio.
    Other American cousins made a better job of it ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

There's 2 out there, one with the voice track missing, the other had the voice track but it's out by a millisecond or two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

James May on the RedBull 001: "It has 1 horse power per kilogram and no other car gets close to that"

Ehem................. The Koenigsegg One:1 ?

• Advertisement

This episode wasn't near as good as last week. That army thing was just timewasting stupid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

It's becoming a pain to watch.

Between audio issues etc.

Takes a while to get things working on a 3mb line

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭beertons

First half ok, second painful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

The burn n smoke was good.

Would never have been shown on TG, health &safety dept would have had a coronary.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 820 ✭✭✭BunkMoreland

What was the point at all of the military stuff? It wasn't even in South Africa or anything to do with cars. Pretty boring stuff.

• Advertisement
Advertisement