Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Grand Tour

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Blazer wrote: »
    exactly his review on the M4 GTS was really excellent...looking at all the other reviewers you'd swear it was the best BMW ever made and he basically took a big dump over it..I really wish they got back to more reviewing of cars..they'd still draw in the crowds with his reviewing.
    The only one who I rate as good as him is Chris Harris...

I don't always agree with many people on here (:D) but yes totally agree. He's completely different from the usual crap UK journos, who complain when an MPV doesn't handle like a sportscar :pac:

Chris Harris is also excellent, has a personality I think which is key. Clarkson should do more reviews, I'd honestly subscribe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭.red.

Mc Love wrote: »

It really took the biscuit though when May decided to roll up a beach full of people in a construction vehicle. I'd be rightly pissed off if I had been there.

You don't actually think he just rocked up with a digger do you? Every scene is scripted, from start to finish. Every person on the beach would have been informed what was going on well before it happened.
    The dropping of the car on the boat was another one, it was(badly) planned down to the last detail.
    I'm enjoying the grand tour, its not the best work the lads have done but its easy viewing. My issue like others is the studio work. Its pitiful.

The "mistakes and accidents" on top gear were obviously planned but they way they were filmed was very well done. On the grand tour the filming and script of these "accidents and mistakes" is shocking. Its blatantly obvious its scripted and I reckon they over think the scenes and make a balls of them.
    The track filming is really good tho, I'm assuming their using high end drones for it and they should have much more of these scenes as that's what a car show is all about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

.red. wrote: »
    You don't actually think he just rocked up with a digger do you? Every scene is scripted, from start to finish. Every person on the beach would have been informed what was going on well before it happened.
    The dropping of the car on the boat was another one, it was(badly) planned down to the last detail.
    I'm enjoying the grand tour, its not the best work the lads have done but its easy viewing. My issue like others is the studio work. Its pitiful.

The "mistakes and accidents" on top gear were obviously planned but they way they were filmed was very well done. On the grand tour the filming and script of these "accidents and mistakes" is shocking. Its blatantly obvious its scripted and I reckon they over think the scenes and make a balls of them.
    The track filming is really good tho, I'm assuming their using high end drones for it and they should have much more of these scenes as that's what a car show is all about.

I doubt it tbh - Most people on the beach looked rather annoyed and werent all standing around like an audience until it caused so much commotion the whole place was wondering what was going on, then the hotel management told them to rightly feck off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Mc Love wrote: »
    I doubt it tbh - Most people on the beach looked rather annoyed and werent all standing around like an audience until it caused so much commotion the whole place was wondering what was going on, then the hotel management told them to rightly feck off.

The magic of TV. What you saw was someone talking to the crew with a voice over indicating that it was the management telling them to leave. The deck chairs he ran over, completely different to the ones you saw the guests reclining on. Check the end credits, they give thanks to the resort and indeed the pub you see them in. Likewise, the cars would not have ended up on the beach overnight, they were placed there, perhaps dragged out by the same bulldozer. The amount of paperwork involved in this type of thing is enormous, nothing happens off script.

Everyone is aware what is going on. Contrast this to the Argentina or USA incidents where something happened very off script, the response is far different.

Never believe a thing you see on TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Joeface

It's not that there wasn't always scripting in the show its the excess of it takes away from the natural flow it use to have

someone has the challenge eps shared on Youtube . Look at any of them , the coupe challange for 1500 euro. Richard H's comment on seeing James May's Jag for the first time " you bought a grandfather clock" funny and you can tell its the first time he saw the car. if they did that now there would be 50 retakes trying all the lines form the writers .

as for the Clarkson's car reviews , Saw the Alfa 1500 euro challenge , was that 8years or more ago. He pretty much gives the same review for that as he did for Alfa Giulia , even down to the comment on the wheel size.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

ironclaw wrote: »
    The magic of TV. What you saw was someone talking to the crew with a voice over indicating that it was the management telling them to leave. The deck chairs he ran over, completely different to the ones you saw the guests reclining on. Check the end credits, they give thanks to the resort and indeed the pub you see them in. Likewise, the cars would not have ended up on the beach overnight, they were placed there, perhaps dragged out by the same bulldozer. The amount of paperwork involved in this type of thing is enormous, nothing happens off script.

Everyone is aware what is going on. Contrast this to the Argentina or USA incidents where something happened very off script, the response is far different.

Never believe a thing you see on TV.

They really must be spending loads on this. How they are "getting away with so much" must be costing a fortune.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,108 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Yet even more and more wet laps. What a waste of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Patww79 wrote: »

They control when they have the cars on the track. I thought that much was obvious. Please try keep up with the thread, as your attempts at being funny are lame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭Melodeon

I suspect they 'test' a few cars at the same time when they can schedule the cars, driver, and track all available at the same time.
    If that happens to be a wet day, well, we get a bunch of wet laps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Probably going against the grain here, but I actually like the wet laps. Its all well and good knowing what times are posted in perfectly dry conditions, but I love seeing the cars squirming for grip and sliding about while they're pushed a bit in weather conditions we're more used to. Yeah the times aren't worth much as they aren't a fair comparison, but its nice to see the higher performance cars aren't afraid of a little rain (unlike F1 for example).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Top Dog wrote: »
    Probably going against the grain here, but I actually like the wet laps. Its all well and good knowing what times are posted in perfectly dry conditions, but I love seeing the cars squirming for grip and sliding about while they're pushed a bit in weather conditions we're more used to. Yeah the times aren't worth much as they aren't a fair comparison, but its nice to see the higher performance cars aren't afraid of a little rain (unlike F1 for example).

I, and I say it without a note of sarcasm, think that for the sake of comparisons, they should keep the track wet all the time...

It is easier to have a wet track all the time than to have a dry one...

Exactly. You'd be surprised but most manufacturers don't really care about the press a car gets, especially if its in the super exotics where its pretty much sold out to their buyers far ahead of time. No one watches GT and says 'Yeah, I ought not to buy an M4 now' On an average press day, you get a very short period of time with a car. Top Gear and the bigger shows would have a little more clout but if a car is part of a press pack doing a tour, they get it for a set schedule and thats it. If you look at the 918 and P1 tests for Top Gear and Chris Harris, they are almost identical days and places.

On thread though, last episode was confusing. Isn't JC a staunch Brit with various comments about how great Britain is, but yet the entire episode was poking fun at England to the whoops and hollers of a Scottish crowd? It just seemed like a parody to appeal to the Americans as 'having a go' at the old ruler :confused:

Once again, a single and weak car review, followed by a film that wasn't very funny. Wrong way down narrow streets? Hilarious, expect the hotel was clearly on a wide road at the edge of town, so you didn't have to go down those streets to get there. I thought for a second the race was going to be clever, perhaps James knew of a faster ferry or would take the Eurotunnel. No, it just decended into make believe and fantasy, even a close up of James 'surprised' eyes as he rocketed in a sped up clip towards the pier edge as Richard clearly drove around a container port :confused:

Think my bro (A big TG fan like myself) summed it up very well when we started watching it with the words 'I don't think much of this program' and he's right, its now officially useless. Everyone laughed when Chris Evans ran the first pilot of Top Gear but the GT boys shouldn't be so smug, there program is joining that TG series as stuff I'll never watch again.

You had a wonderful chance and blew it on your egos. Congrats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭BBMcQ

grogi wrote: »
    I, and I say it without a note of sarcasm, think that for the sake of comparisons, they should keep the track wet all the time...

It is easier to have a wet track all the time than to have a dry one...

This was the original intention of Top Gear over a decade ago but spraying the whole track when it's bone try was too costly after the first few cars did it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Joeface

I am starting to feel bad for them , after watching the last episode It appears they cannot do anything

Cannot race each other and have an out come ,
    No point scoring on cars they have purchased
    No race that starts and finishes in one place.
    No timed laps against the car for the same value
    Even at times it looks like they are not allowed film shots in the same way.

In selling Top Gear to the BBC I think the really clipped what they could do so they have ended up with the worst possible version. Amazon have dumped there money in to nothing really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Joeface wrote: »
    In selling Top Gear to the BBC I think the really clipped what they could do so they have ended up with the worst possible version. Amazon have dumped there money in to nothing really.

Top Gear was IP of BBC from the beginning...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 853 ✭✭✭edburg

grogi wrote: »
    Top Gear was IP of BBC from the beginning...

BBC gave/sold rights for it to Clarkson as part of bumper pay package when he pitched the new idea back in last century. I think Clarkson was seeing an end day coming and sold it back then.

Top Gear would not exist anymore for the changes made as it had fallen flat on its face and been cut for 2nd or 3rd time.

Agree with above bit on Maserati endings but I wonder if there is infringements stuff that does not allow such things to happen. I was half thinking/hoping them to race for there ferries only to find they were on same one type thing.

I will say it slowly improving and bit of time it may find its feet, after all it took 2 seasons for TG version to take off.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Top Dog wrote: »

The issue in F1 is that any drivers following someone can't see in front of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 853 ✭✭✭edburg

The issue in F1 is that any drivers following someone can't see in front of them.

IMO the issue with F1 is its boring :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

GT has been pretty dire IMO.

Looking back objectively, I think TG was better, apart from Chris Evans of course.

Theres some much terrible GT too that could be cut or filled with actual car reviews.

Celebrity brain crash was funny, once. Its the literal definition of a waste of time.

I hope they change it up, they clearly have the budget for it but if theres another 2 seasons of this, it wont be renewed and rightly so.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭inna981

Definitely agree, I was thinking this morning that the only part of the season I enjoyed was Hammond and James playing Battlefield with cars.

I know TG was scripted, but it was well hidden. TGT seems heavily scripted and most funny bits are just not.

I will give it a few seasons to get settled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

inna981 wrote: »

This is not funded by tax payers anymore so you shouldn't have to wait a few years for something to get better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,825 ✭✭✭✭bear1

inna981 wrote: »
    Definitely agree, I was thinking this morning that the only part of the season I enjoyed was Hammond and James playing Battlefield with cars.

I know TG was scripted, but it was well hidden. TGT seems heavily scripted and most funny bits are just not.

Well hidden? Have you seen the show?
    Go and watch the episode were they go to Norway, especially the scene were James "crashes" into a car under the snow.
    Top gear the older it got the more scripted it became. The races I think were the most genuine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,843 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Just watched the new one. I enjoyed it anyway

I thought it was done. Something to watch now anyway.

1 more left after tonight's

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    The last episode wasn't bad to be honest, had a nice old skool feel about it. Didn't feel as scripted and there were a few parts that I actually laughed at.

Same as. The camera being turned off, the last mention of the British Scotsman etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭X6.430macman

Have to say I just loved that episode. Really loved the cars and just found it great tbh

• Advertisement

Really liked that episode. My only gripe with it is, does it have to be so un-childfriendly? I used to watch Top Gear with my young lad as he likes the cars, but at least once per episode I find a part where I'm looking over hoping he didn't take in what has just been said, and I find it's usually Hammond that is saying it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

That episode is what I hoped TGT would be from the beginning. Properly good. The future looks a little brighter.

On a side note, coincidentally had the Nurburgring / Nuremberg conversation in work the other day - going to the ring in March as part of a work trip and one of my colleagues asked could we go to see the place Hitler did his rally

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Dannyman76

I'm kinda looking forward to Chris Harris And Rory Reid restoring Top Gear. The Grand Tour didn't quite live up to the hype. Clarkson, Hammond and May don't seem to have a passion for cars anymore. Anyone else notice how often the cars windows get blacked out whenever skillful driving happens, or the reusing of shots e.g. when Clarkson laughs at something?

Quazzie wrote: »
    Really liked that episode. My only gripe with it is, does it have to be so un-childfriendly?

I quite liked the episode in parts as the old recipe was kind of there. I'd agree with you though, I'm far from prude but its unnecessarily rude for the most part. Ok, we get it, the place names in a foreign country are controversial, no need for an extended cut of Clarkson coughing the name into a Sat nav. Likewise, I'm fairly sure every episode has some mention of a phallus. I think it goes to show the standard of comedy and writing though when you need to be rude continuously as opposed to witty. Contrast the studio jokes to the on the road remarks and its clear they are better on the (sort of) fly e.g. the rally and trials remarks, commentary of driving etc.

But once again, same format: A single car review and a single film in an hour and 2 mins of programming. They really, really need to scrap the tent segment or narrow it down to 2 to 3 mins blasts between films. Likewise, they need to move off the track and get all three presenters out on the road, I don't understand why they don't have a review each per week? :confused:
    Dannyman76 wrote: »
    Anyone else notice how often the cars windows get blacked out whenever skillful driving happens, or the reusing of shots e.g. when Clarkson laughs at something?

I read this before I watched it and its something that was in the back of my mind since day one. Neither James or Richard were driving in the quarry, that's abundantly clear, and I really take exception to their earlier segment (on a clearly closed road) where he'e on James tail and talking of speed and overtaking. Impressionable minds would think that its ok to act as such if you have a film crew when they have in fact locked down a road for it. Its also a repeat as Jeremy and Richard did the same thing in the ST and Mustang, once again not really making it clear to the simpler viewer that they were on a closed course. I think they should take a little responsibility here.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,519 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Mixed season as a whole, but the finale was decent. Minimal padding and no American.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭MuddyDog

I thought the Porsche Launch Control segment was hilarious!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭corks finest

ironclaw wrote: »
    I quite liked the episode in parts as the old recipe was kind of there. I'd agree with you though, I'm far from prude but its unnecessarily rude for the most part. Ok, we get it, the place names in a foreign country are controversial, no need for an extended cut of Clarkson coughing the name into a Sat nav. Likewise, I'm fairly sure every episode has some mention of a phallus. I think it goes to show the standard of comedy and writing though when you need to be rude continuously as opposed to witty. Contrast the studio jokes to the on the road remarks and its clear they are better on the (sort of) fly e.g. the rally and trials remarks, commentary of driving etc.

But once again, same format: A single car review and a single film in an hour and 2 mins of programming. They really, really need to scrap the tent segment or narrow it down to 2 to 3 mins blasts between films. Likewise, they need to move off the track and get all three presenters out on the road, I don't understand why they don't have a review each per week? :confused:

I read this before I watched it and its something that was in the back of my mind since day one. Neither James or Richard were driving in the quarry, that's abundantly clear, and I really take exception to their earlier segment (on a clearly closed road) where he'e on James tail and talking of speed and overtaking. Impressionable minds would think that its ok to act as such if you have a film crew when they have in fact locked down a road for it. Its also a repeat as Jeremy and Richard did the same thing in the ST and Mustang, once again not really making it clear to the simpler viewer that they were on a closed course. I think they should take a little responsibility here.

I agree,we need the lads on road trips,way more entertaining,,,loved all of them ,the Chernobyl one was fab,in fact all were

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The episodes are getting better. For me anyway. A couple of giggle moments. Like in the last one when James is doing the winching event and the car rolls. "It stinks down here, what is that?" The Irish guy; "England". :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

Wibbs wrote: »
    The episodes are getting better. For me anyway. A couple of giggle moments. Like in the last one when James is doing the winching event and the car rolls. "It stinks down here, what is that?" The Irish guy; "England". :D

Scripted, I'd say, but very Irish/funny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭X6.430macman

fatbhoy wrote:
    Scripted, I'd say, but very Irish/funny.

Obviously, all tv is scripted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

It's definitely getting closer to what we expected of it. That was a very enjoyable episode. Drifting.. Good... Winching ... Good.. Roger Daltry.. Good.. and a distinctly Irish feel to the whole thing with Seamus and Conor - some man for drifting at 13

If I had a slight niggle it would be the Nissan Patrol "shock". JC covered extreme 4x4 supercharged modding on motorworld 20 years ago and it's a pretty well known scene at this stage.

All in all, a good watch, and even they made a joke at the cringe of "brain crash" so I'd expect a change for the next series

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

Obviously, all tv is scripted

Via a spectrum ranging from very loosely to word for word.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭el diablo

Last two episodes were quite decent. Kind of disappointed it's all over now. :)

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

The last two episodes were miles better than anything that preceded them.

Theres a glimmer of hope that they can still do a car show and be somewhat entertaining.

I didn't like the Nissan Patrol part and pretending that it was going to be a romp for the Porsche, nor did I like the playing down the guy with no arms or kid as being no threat, thats just stupid but in saying that, the episodes were better and the GTi vs i3 was interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

Looking forward to The Grand Tour S02E01

But in the meanwhile, Top Gear should be returning before then.

Let the bitching begin... May 2017

• Advertisement

I'm glad I relented and watched the final two episodes. It didn't save the series but it gave me a glimmer of hope and a desire to check out the next series later this year. I'll be curious to see do Top Gear take any learning from this or from their last as I feel, at least here, there is an emphasis that people want reality with good presenter chemistry, not rampant fantasy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Zoo4m8

Last two episodes not too bad but they appear to be morphing into new/old TG..others have covered what doesn't work, I'd have liked a closer look at the Nissan Patrol for instance..
    I expected something far more groundbreaking and innovative,
    To me James May has the demeanour of someone who has decided to walk when his contract is up and looking at a couple of old TG , 05 I think, on DAVE at the weekend he was a different man, animated and enthusiastic. In fact it was quite an eye opener to compare the two shows.
    Back then I suppose TG was at its height, segments were relatively short and snappy and you knew that if you didn't like one subject something that suited would be coming right along.
    I know the tent cannot really be compared to the previous barn but there was very little tedious indoor subjects and the feeling of spontaneity and interaction with the audience was striking compared to the staid forced atmosphere in the tent.
    I think the GT really has to up its game big time and if the new season of TG is any good then at least at this side of the world interest in the new show could just slip away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

This looks pretty good. Those 3 were by far the best in the previous season. Evans and the German one were awful. This might push TGT to be a decent show next time round!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,825 ✭✭✭✭bear1

There is already a thread for Top Gear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,516 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Liked the most rescent episode was very similar to what the 3 lads did on old Top Gear, James May even said "cock". I get the impression they were under legal instructions not to return to areas close to the BBC format and tried to steer away from this albeit only slightly so they wouldn't get sued.

• Advertisement
Advertisement