Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Intrum Ireland

Options
  • 18-11-2016 3:36pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭

Hi all, looking for advice with these please if anyone can help.

It all started back in January when I got put on a 3 day week at work & fell behind with some bills. I was on a contract with Vodafone and fell about 3 months into arrears. My contract was up in February and was planning on leaving them when I paid off the bill. Around the middle they cut off my phone service & I rang them explaining my situation & suggested could I pay back €20 a week in instalments until the bill was paid & could they just let me receive phone calls & not make any until the bill was settled. They refused this point blank and said I needed to pay the bill in full that day. Once again I explained I couldn't do it & they told me there's no more they could do. I then told them fair enough & thats thenlast they'll hear from me if they couldn't help me then I'll pay nothing.

I changed provider the following week & heard no more for about 6 weeks. That's when this crowd got involved. First of all I'll mention that i ignored calls off them unknowingly as they were ringing on private number all the time & I don't answer private numbers however I was expecting a call for a job one day & thought maybe it could be it & answered it. It was Intrum.

I explained what happened with Vodafone to the lady & she apologised & said Bodafone should of helped me repay the payments how I suggested seeing as I was willing to pay & offered me a 50% discount on my bill with them to €177 if I made a payment that day. I found this very strange why would a debt agency offer a discount? I explained I couldn't make a payment until I received my wages but would be willing to pay €20 a week until it was repayed which she agreed on.

The lady then told me she'd ring me back on Friday and I can make a payment with a laser card. I told the lady I won't make any payment to a company that rings me on private number as I don't know who I'm dealing or can record who I'm paying to. She said it was company policy to ring on Private number & I told her I don't care what it is, that I won't answer the phone again to a private number & that the only reason I answered this call was because I thought it was a job offer. She apolised & said she would ring me on the office mobile number & I said that would be fine & I'll make the payments.

Needless to say no phone call came with a traceable number only all private numbers again. In the last week I've been getting plagued with calls up to 15 a day by private number. I bit the bullet yesterday answered one, of course it was Intrum. Once again I explained that I won't make any payments or give debit card details to a private number that it just won't happen. He said I've no other choice but to do it if I don't want court proceedings issued. Surely I'm not being unreasonable to request a call off a tradable number if I'm going to make a payment? It's gotten to the stage now where I'm uneasy to give them anything as their policies just seem bizarre.

What would be your suggestion to do?

Thanks in advance & sorry for the big surmon.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,024 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'll answer some points in the order they were posted

Vodafone acted like any other service provider - they do not want to become a cashflow management firm. Only essential services like electricity will even consider this

Intrum offered the discount as their business model allows for this. Most debt collection agencies either pay a small % of the debt for the right to try collect it (and keep the rest) or get commission

They are extremely unlikely to go to court for E354 - the costs are non-viable.

You could just phone them on their public number to make the payment.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭gstack166

L1011 wrote: »
    I'll answer some points in the order they were posted

Vodafone acted like any other service provider - they do not want to become a cashflow management firm. Only essential services like electricity will even consider this

Intrum offered the discount as their business model allows for this. Most debt collection agencies either pay a small % of the debt for the right to try collect it (and keep the rest) or get commission

They are extremely unlikely to go to court for E354 - the costs are non-viable.

You could just phone them on their public number to make the payment.

Thanks for your reply. I don't see the reason why I have to call them though to settle a debt that I agreed to pay with terms that Intrum agreed on? Can you understand the issues someone would have providing personal information to a company that's policy is to intimidate people with a private number?

gstack166 wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply. I don't see the reason why I have to call them though to settle a debt that I agreed to pay with terms that Intrum agreed on? Can you understand the issues someone would have providing personal information to a company that's policy is to intimidate people with a private number?

I would imagine the individual staff have zero input in to policies in relation to outbound CLID and have zero ability to change it. In that case, you have no other option but to call them.

Additionally, I have to make the proactive move to pay my cable bill, property tax and other bills I do not have by direct debit. This is not abnormal at all. I don't get a call from Virgin/Revenue/etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

They may not go to court but it could end up on your credit record so easiest just to get it paid if you can. If you have to call them then so be it.

I would imagine the individual staff have zero input in to policies in relation to outbound CLID and have zero ability to change it. In that case, you have no other option but to call them.

Additionally, I have to make the proactive move to pay my cable bill, property tax and other bills I do not have by direct debit. This is not abnormal at all. I don't get a call from Virgin/Revenue/etc.

I agree with all you said there bar the last paragraph. You are provided with a service, willingly by Virgin/Revenue etc. I was provided nothing by Intrum & have no dealing prior to them unlike you with Virgin etc. The bill I had was with Vodafone & was refused a plan that would of cost me more than double the amount that this crowd who I know nothing about are offering. Let's say a company called Electric Leinster rang you & said they'd provide you with electricity more than 50% cheaper than you pay with Electric Ireland on private number rang you would you disclose your bank details with them? Makes no sense.

• Advertisement

I agree with all you said there bar the last paragraph. You are provided with a service, willingly by Virgin/Revenue etc. I was provided nothing by Intrum & have no dealing prior to them unlike you with Virgin etc. The bill I had was with Vodafone & was refused a plan that would of cost me more than double the amount that this crowd who I know nothing about are offering. Let's say a company called Electric Leinster rang you & said they'd provide you with electricity more than 50% cheaper than you pay with Electric Ireland on private number rang you would you disclose your bank details with them? Makes no sense.

Your analogy makes absolutely no sense at all.

You agreed to pay Intrum an amount and only then raised issues about the private number.

They have a publicly available phone number to call and make payments on. If you challenge the validity of them collecting for your debt to Vodafone that's an entirely different story - but it appears you don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

pilly wrote: »
    They may not go to court but it could end up on your credit record so easiest just to get it paid if you can. If you have to call them then so be it.

Why do people keep saying this? It cant affect credit

bmwguy wrote: »
    Why do people keep saying this? It cant affect credit

Why not?

Why not?

The main credit reference agency in Ireland, which the banks use, is the Irish Credit Bureau

These debt collection agencies and the companies they collect for are not members. Only banks, mortgage firms, some credit unions, most county councils and a handful of other lenders - mostly car and business finance - are. Decisions made on mortgages etc will use the ICB report.

It can - and does - affect private agencies like Experian and Equifax; which are sometimes used for things like phone contracts, store credit for white goods etc etc. However, most people consider "your credit rating" to be the ICB one and a debt to Vodafone/Virgin/Oxendales/Littlewoods as comes up on here frequently won't touch it.

(http://www.icb.ie/membership.php - all ICB members)

Why not?

Because it's not a credit agreement and there is have no contract with intrum.

It's only for financial agreements like banks, credit unions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

I understand your reluctance to give details over the phone to a blocked caller.

But your debt is with Vodafone. Pay them directly. Cut out Intrum. You dont need to deal with them.

bmwguy wrote: »
    Because it's not a credit agreement and there is have no contract with intrum.

It's only for financial agreements like banks, credit unions

Good to know, thanks.

Good to know, thanks.

Don't entertain debt collection agencies, ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

On the basis that you seem to want to engage with Intrum (which isn't necessarily what I'd do), then phoning them with your card details is the way to go. I agree that I wouldn't give out my card details to anyone who phoned me out of the blue (whether it was a private number or not).

Their website lists a Dublin number you can call (which may be free, depending on your current phone plan). They also have an online payment facility if you have their reference number (which would have come in a letter to you).

It's surprising that they have only phoned you and not written to you. If you want to go ahead and pay them, and haven't received a letter, then answer the next call, ask them to write to you at the address they have on file with a reference number, and tell them you'll do an online payment as you don't give out those details over the phone. If they don't have an address for you, I wouldn't volunteer it - if they've bought the debt they should have whatever details Vodafone had for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

As in all cases with service providers, refer to the contract you agreed to when obtaining the service. You are bound to the terms of that contract.

What struck me as odd about your op, you can't afford to pay what you owe, yet you were able to enter a contract with a new provider?

davo10 wrote: »
    As in all cases with service providers, refer to the contract you agreed to when obtaining the service. You are bound to the terms of that contract.

What struck me as odd about your op, you can't afford to pay what you owe, yet you were able to enter a contract with a new provider?

No. my contract was up 4 weeks after they cut me off, I made them aware that I was leaving bill pay for pay as you go. That's the reason why I think they wouldn't let me pay in installers as I've numerous friends who were able to do this.

When I left after they wouldn't help me pay, I joined 3 on a pay as you go SIM card.

Your analogy makes absolutely no sense at all.

You agreed to pay Intrum an amount and only then raised issues about the private number.

They have a publicly available phone number to call and make payments on. If you challenge the validity of them collecting for your debt to Vodafone that's an entirely different story - but it appears you don't.

Why should I make a call to give money to a company I've had absolutely no dealings with? I never received a service or had any communication with INTRUM but you feel it's right that I make the call to them?

Why should I make a call to give money to a company I've had absolutely no dealings with? I never received a service or had any communication with INTRUM but you feel it's right that I make the call to them?

You were willing to give them money when they called you, bar the private number.

They aren't going to call you on a non-private number. CLID can be resoundingly faked, anyway.

But you recieved a service you didn't pay for and you didn't abide by the terms of your contract, Vodafone contacted you about the debt. Pay as you go is more expensive than a bill pay arrangement. You are whinging because a service provider is looking for the money you owe, if you read the contract you agreed to when signing up for the service I bet it refers to the use of a third party for collection of your debt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Edups

That is a complete falsehood. I owed a company money with the same cock and bull about credit records and I've viewed my report the only stuff on it is banking related.

• Advertisement

daheff wrote: »
    I understand your reluctance to give details over the phone to a blocked caller.

But your debt is with Vodafone. Pay them directly. Cut out Intrum. You dont need to deal with them.

Once they have it Vodafone has washed their hands of the debt.

But you recieved a service you didn't pay for and you didn't abide by the terms of your contract, Vodafone contacted you about the debt. Pay as you go is more expensive than a bill pay arrangement. You are whinging because a service provider is looking for the money you owe, if you read the contract you agreed to when signing up for the service I bet it refers to the use of a third party for collection of your debt.

Actually Bidafone never contacted me over the debt. The cut the phone off, I had to ring them on another number & explain my situation. I never refused to pay any debt I agreed with both of them to pay it with a deal that Vodafone rejected & Intrum agreed but failed to do the deal we agreed upon. There just as much in the wrong as I am. I agreed to pay to a registered number that showed on the phone when they rang, they said yes, they'll do it but persist on ringing on a private number. Why agree but then go back on the deal?

Actually Bidafone never contacted me over the debt. The cut the phone off, I had to ring them on another number & explain my situation. I never refused to pay any debt I agreed with both of them to pay it with a deal that Vodafone rejected & Intrum agreed but failed to do the deal we agreed upon. There just as much in the wrong as I am. I agreed to pay to a registered number that showed on the phone when they rang, they said yes, they'll do it but persist on ringing on a private number. Why agree but then go back on the deal?

"Agreeing to pay" in your terms is not agreeing to pay if your contract says all payments are due in full. You can't have dinner in a restaurant and then say I'll pay €1 a week for the next 12 weeks for the meal.

... eh

Vodafone Red €60 pm unlimited calls and texts 7GB data

Data extra €30 only main difference is 5GB data.

"Agreeing to pay" in your terms is not agreeing to pay if your contract says all payments are due in full.

But Intrum agreed for me to pay in instalments at a 50% reduction. So their company policy can allow staff to over half price deals But not allow them to ring a customer on a registered number?

But Intrum agreed for me to pay in instalments at a 50% reduction. So their company policy can allow staff to over half price deals But not allow them to ring a customer on a registered number?

Yes. How is there any connection between those two?

Again - CLIDs can be faked, or be a real number simply not connected to anything. They could call you with a totally real looking number and it wouldn't mean a thing.

Yes. How is there any connection between those two?

Again - CLIDs can be faked, or be a real number simply not connected to anything. They could call you with a totally real looking number and it wouldn't mean a thing.

It means I have a traceable number back to a company I've paid money to besides just giving money over the phone to someone I have no idea to. Can you seriously not comprehend the reasoning why someone would be reluctant to give personal details on a phone at the best of times let alone to an untraceable number?

You wouldn't happen to work for Intrum would you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

It means I have a traceable number back to a company I've paid money to besides just giving money over the phone to someone I have no idea to. Can you seriously not comprehend the reasoning why someone would be reluctant to give personal details on a phone at the best of times let alone to an untraceable number?

If your worried about who your paying money to the best thing is to call them yourself.

You are making excuses, pay what you owe and they will stop bothering you. You entered into a contract when it suited you, now you are refusing to pay for it.

• Advertisement

If your worried about who your paying money to the best thing is to call them yourself.

Why? I've no prior dealings with them. The money I owe is to Vodafone not Intrum. There a debt collecting agency for unpaid debt, I haven't refused to pay my debt with Vodafone.

Advertisement