Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Books

• 18-11-2016 3:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭

hi can anybody recommend a good book on the history of traditional music?

It's a gift so would like a coffee table style..........nice photos etc

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭fh041205

Not quite what you asked for but Leagues O'Toole's book on Planxty is really good.

I'd be interested to know if anyone has a proper answer to your question though...

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭marialouise

Currently finishing my thesis on Irish music and two of the most informative history books I used were Breandan Breathnach: Folk Music & Dances of Ireland, and Tomas O Canainn: Traditional Music In Ireland. They went into large amounts of detail on many features of Irish music, but may not be very 'coffee table' style. They are also from the 1970s so maybe a bit dated. The "Pocket Guide to Irish Music" by Gearoid O hAllmhurain presents the history in a really great layout, and ties the music in with historic events, which I found really interesting, but there's not a single picture. Then there's a book called "The Waltons Guide to Irish Music" by Harry Long, which does have pictures, in black and white, but it's more of an encyclopedia layout, so goes by alphabetical entries rather than chronological. (e.g. Accordion, Air, Banjo, Bard etc.) The information is short and sweet and it covers a wide range of topics and musicians.
    No idea how to attach a file but I have a pic of some of the inside of the book on my computer, let me know if you need me to send it to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭marialouise

ok I hope this works, and that this isn't infringing any laws or anything, sorry if it is! :/402072.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Rakish Paddy

This book by flute player Fintan Vallely is a treasure:

http://companion.ie/

It's an encyclopaedia of all things to do with Irish trad, although it's not full of nice pictures.

Advertisement