Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Training before starting a 30 week ironman plan

Options
  • 18-11-2016 4:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Signed up for the long distance next Summer.

I have done everything but the distance so I said I would give it a shot.

What is the best way to train before starting a plan?

Simply work on endurance or concentrate on improving one of the disciplines?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Mr Tango

stanleyb wrote: »
    Signed up for the long distance next Summer.

I have done everything but the distance so I said I would give it a shot.

What is the best way to train before starting a plan?

Simply work on endurance or concentrate on improving one of the disciplines?

You would need to put a bit of background up on your tri experience to date.

In general though if if is a summer ironman you are building endurance at the minute slow and steady. Would be working on all three though with the duration increasing and then the focus kicks in about 16-18 weeks out. At that point you should be very fit and ready to go.

Totally depends on your background, when the race is and targets though.

It will be here before you know it.

The alternative view is working on sharpening up now and build the dist ace later. I'll let others more knowledgable talk about that!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

I don't know what plan you're going to follow, but I think a good rule of thumb would be that you can easily cycle & run for the length of time/distance of the longest cycle and run in the first week of the plan.

Having said that, 30 weeks seems like a very long plan to me and anything up to the first 18 weeks could be about building the base fitness before starting the actual Ironman specific training.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Duck8

Be Iron Fit by Don Fink is a very good book with detailed 30 week programs. Look at week one and that will give you a good idea of what you need to do to start a 30 week program. 3 of us went with the intermediate program this year and all went well. We didn't follow it to the letter but as much as work and family life would allow. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 stanleyb

Thanks folks.

I was looking at the Fink 30 week intermediate plan.

I have a good base but I have spent the last 2 months concentrating on getting faster running.
    Long slow run
    Interval
    Park run

The beginning of Fink's 30 week programme is doable now.

Advertisement