Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible Miscarriage

Options
  • 18-11-2016 4:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hey...sorry for the long post and the tmi...just looking for some opinions here...

Last Friday I was 6 weeks pregnant (dated from my lmp) when I had some light bleeding with minor cramps. I was sent to the EPU by my GP and had an internal scan done. They told me they could see the gestational sac and the yoke inside the sac but that it wasnt as high up as they would have liked. She said it should be high up in the fundus where it would be safe but that it wasnt.
    They didnt mention a heartbeat and I was afraid to ask...they also didnt say if they could see the pole or if my cervix was closed which my research since has told me is important. They literally just said it was early days and that there was a risk of miscarriage and it wasnt bad news yet.
    So I was sent home and told to come back in 2 weeks. They didnt do any blood tests just the internal scan. So I have no idea if my HCG levels are falling. When I got home after the long journey the cramping had got much worse...but the bleeding was still light. I then started passing small clots. And I really do mean small...nothing any bigger than a normal period but there was maybe between 10-15 of them. Then that evening the cramps eased a bit and the bleeding stopped and I have had nothing but spotting since. But I am still cramping when I move around and my tummy is tender.
    I went back to my gp to see if anything more could be done and she said I just had to wait it out. She also didnt do bloods either.
    I have had 2 more positive pregnancy tests since...so i guess if my HCG is falling it hasnt gone that low? but my breasts which had been very sore are back to normal.
    I am going out of my mind. I cant do this...the waiting is torture. And they were so dismissive and cold in the epu and just threw so much jargon at me that I didnt understand until 2 days later after extensive googling...they genuinely made me feel like I was wrong to have went there and that I was only wasting their time. So I really am not keen on going back earlier than I should in case they give out to me.
    Does anyone have any experience simillar to this? I just feel like they should have done more. Or does anyone know of anything else I can do to try and get some answers?

Thanks for reading and sorry it was so long winded

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,460 ✭✭✭✭fits

Id go in again today. Thats what the epu is there for. Heartbeat can be visible at 7 weeks. So sorry you are going through this. Take care.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 m0m3nt

fits wrote: »
    Id go in again today. Thats what the epu is there for. Heartbeat can be visible at 7 weeks. So sorry you are going through this. Take care.

Thank you fits. Unfortunately the EPU is only open from 9-11am mon-fri so I will have to wait out the weekend anyway but thank you :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Hopeful2016

I don't know what to suggest given it's the weekend but I can't believe they didn't check your hormone levels during the week. Two simple blood tests would have giving a good idea if the pregnancy was failing. I'd go back Monday and insist on the bloods but in the meantime maybe check to see if the positive line is any more faint now than it was last week or if the number of weeks pregnant have dropped on the digital tests. That's not going to give you definite answers though. Think it took a couple of weeks to get a negative test after a mc at 6 weeks for me.

Best of luck.

I don't know what to suggest given it's the weekend but I can't believe they didn't check your hormone levels during the week. Two simple blood tests would have giving a good idea if the pregnancy was failing. I'd go back Monday and insist on the bloods but in the meantime maybe check to see if the positive line is any more faint now than it was last week or if the number of weeks pregnant have dropped on the digital tests. That's not going to give you definite answers though. Think it took a couple of weeks to get a negative test after a mc at 6 weeks for me.

Best of luck.

Thanks for that suggestion. Took a clearblue test there and it said 2-3 weeks....it said the same thing 11 days ago so I think I have my answer. Its not the answer I wanted but its good to have one all the same :) thanks guys

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

How did you get on pet?

• Advertisement

How did you get on pet?

Im still waiting :(:( I have a scan in the morning but im pretty sure it wont be good news. Will post here once I know :) x

m0m3nt wrote: »
    Im still waiting :(:( I have a scan in the morning but im pretty sure it wont be good news. Will post here once I know :) x

Hey so I thought I would update to say as suspected it wasnt good news. Ive had a partial miscarriage and I am booked for a d&c on Monday.
    I have had bad reactions to general anaesthetic in the past so I am doing all kinds of acrobatics and natural remedies to try and pass everything before Monday! Also gonna beg them to do it under local instead if it comes to it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭brokensoul

m0m3nt wrote: »
    Hey so I thought I would update to say as suspected it wasnt good news. Ive had a partial miscarriage and I am booked for a d&c on Monday.
    I have had bad reactions to general anaesthetic in the past so I am doing all kinds of acrobatics and natural remedies to try and pass everything before Monday! Also gonna beg them to do it under local instead if it comes to it :(

I am so sorry to hear this.

I had two miscarriages, one complete and one partial so I had a D&C for that. All I can say is to be good to yourself and keep talking about it for as long as you need to.

huge hugs

brokensoul wrote: »
    I am so sorry to hear this.

I had two miscarriages, one complete and one partial so I had a D&C for that. All I can say is to be good to yourself and keep talking about it for as long as you need to.

huge hugs

Thanks so much...dont think its hit me. Dont know if it ever will. Im just too angry with the hse for the long unnecessary wait. The poor part-time service....how could I possibly grieve when I have this overwhelming anger?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,460 ✭✭✭✭fits

Really sorry that you are going through this.

• Advertisement

fits wrote: »
    Really sorry that you are going through this.

Thank you. But im fine. I have so much to be grateful for...im a full time carer to my lil sis so I really believe that if i dont have kids its cos G9d or whatever higher power or fate has destined it to be that way cos my chosen path is to look after her

Advertisement