Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Misprint" in argos catalogue,won't honour price

Options
  • 18-11-2016 4:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I went into argos today and saw in their catalogue that there was a washing machine marked down from 590 euro to 130 euro with the picture of the washing machine stating a saving of over 450 euro.

I went to purchase it and the figure of 450 came up,tried again and same thing happened again. The manager came out and confirmed they must honour the price and tried to put it through at 130 but it did not work. He rang head office who advised that the picture and offer is a misprint and the will not honour the price of 130

Now the picture and all wording on it say it was orignally 590 and marked down to 130 and advise of savings of 450,there's even a little star on the picture beside the washing machine saying 450 savings.

What are my options here? Do I have a leg to stand on?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

They don't have to honour the mistake (unfortunately)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,995 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

No you don't, move along ffs.

junior cert business teaches you invitation to treat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

No you don't, move along ffs.

junior cert business teaches you invitation to treat

But then false advertising is then an issue, which is a why most companies will honor it.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055787420

• Registered Users Posts: 26,409 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I actually thought they had to honour mistakes that have been advertised externally (unlike ones advertised in-store as per the 'Invitation to Treat' menioned above).

Certainly, when I worked for one electronics retailer, we would be told there was a mistake in an advert we had in a national newspaper but to only give the product at the incorrect price if the customer referenced the mistake themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,024 ✭✭✭✭L1011

noodler wrote: »
    I actually thought they had to honour mistakes that have been advertised externally (unlike ones advertised in-store as per the 'Invitation to Treat' menioned above).

Certainly, when I worked for one electronics retailer, we would be told there was a mistake in an advert we had in a national newspaper but to only give the product at the incorrect price if the customer referenced the mistake themselves.

The OP starts by stating it was internal to Argos.

Argos will often honour mispricing but not when it is so obviously inaccurate.

noodler wrote: »

The OP said it was in the catalogue. You get the catalogue instore, thats not the same as 'advertising it externally'.

If they advertised a washing machine on the TV for 130 and when you went to buy it they said its a mistake, the price is actually 450 it would be very bad press for them and they probably would honour it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,995 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

But then false advertising is then an issue, which is a why most companies will honor it.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055787420

It's not false advertising if it's instore.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Tesco had a similar price mix up recently, online it said brioche rolls were 13cent, but it should have been a 13cent reduction from the regular price.

EDIT: actually this is not a similar mixup, I was thinking it was 590 reduced by 130 but that should have been 460

• Registered Users Posts: 11,951 ✭✭✭✭anewme

The OP said it was in the catalogue. You get the catalogue instore, thats not the same as 'advertising it externally'.

If they advertised a washing machine on the TV for 130 and when you went to buy it they said its a mistake, the price is actually 450 it would be very bad press for them and they probably would honour it.

I don't think it would be very bad press.

It's an obvious mistake.

Everyone had to accept mistakes happen.

People need to get over this entitlement culture.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Virtanen

The vast majority of places will honour a mis-advertised price out of goodwill/good publicity, but contrary to popular belief, they're not required to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lifeandtimes

Thanks for all your comments.

Just to state I don't feel "entitled" to anything as this situation had never happened to me.

I'm asking here because of the advice the store manager gave me and their willingness to assist me and try and provide the product to me at the price advertised in the catalogue

• Registered Users Posts: 17,090 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

There is a wonderful thing in Irish law that allows businesses to make the odd honest mistake without having to sell a product at a loss of 100s of euro.

I'm gobsmacked at the amount of people who just want to take advantage. I see no difference in this & a local shopkeeper giving you the change of 50 instead of the 20 you actually gave & you smiling and not telling him.

Not referring to op here. I'm taking people in general

Just to state I don't feel "entitled" to anything as this situation had never happened to me.

I'm asking here because of the advice the store manager gave me and their willingness to assist me and try and provide the product to me at the price advertised in the catalogue

It wasn't directed at you personally,

I've seen too many times especially now with social media businesses almost "bullied" into honouring what is clearly a mistake.

In this case- it's very clearly a mistake - you were asking what were you to do?

Buy it at the correct price- or don't buy it.

IF a store manager gave such discounts on products, he would be sacked pretty sharpish on a regional manager visit.

If it was 10 or 20 fair enough, but head office clearly would not let him discount it for a reason.

Store manager needs a training course before he bankrupts the place.

Is there anywhere in Ireland that sells washing machines for 130? That's so low, it's an obvious mistake.

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    There is a wonderful thing in Irish law that allows businesses to make the odd honest mistake without having to sell a product at a loss of 100s of euro.

I'm gobsmacked at the amount of people who just want to take advantage. I see no difference in this & a local shopkeeper giving you the change of 50 instead of the 20 you actually gave & you smiling and not telling him.

Or put it into reverse, if you gave the shopkeeper a 50 instead of a 20 by mistake, would you be cheesed off if he smiled took it and refused to give back your 30.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Argos are normally very good at offering you the reduced price if you just missed a promotion - maybe that is what the manager thought had happened here. They do not have to do this though, nor do they have to sell if they made a mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

anewme wrote: »
    Or put it into reverse, if you gave the shopkeeper a 50 instead of a 20 by mistake, would you be cheesed off if he smiled took it and refused to give back your 30.

you might well be cheesed off...but he'd be within his legal rights. A shopkeeper is not required to give change.

daheff wrote:
    you might well be cheesed off...but he'd be within his legal rights. A shopkeeper is not required to give change.

Say what now???
    I'm sure you didn't word that the way you intended. Obviously a shopkeeper is legally required to give not just change but the correct change.

Say what now???
    I'm sure you didn't word that the way you intended. Obviously a shopkeeper is legally required to give not just change but the correct change.

They aren't, actually.

The reality is that somewhere that refuses to give change is going to close down pretty quickly but there is no requirement to give change at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

Say what now???

nope.

A shopkeeper is not required to provide change. Its an optional 'service' provided by the shop.

Now in this day and age a shop that didnt provide change would find itself out of business very fast....but legally they dont need to.

Edit: Just beaten to it by L1011

• Advertisement

Think about how many things are "exact price" and don't give change - and how they're not legally different from shops. Parking meters, vending machines, etc.

I'm not talking about giving change ...I'm talking about if you made a mistake would you expect the shopkeeper to give you back your money.

I've often been behind someine in a que where there was a till reconciliation done when the customer thought they had tendered the wrong amount.

Is charging someine 50 for an item costing 20 legal if they realise they gave the wrong amount.

L1011 wrote:
    They aren't, actually.

daheff wrote:
    A shopkeeper is not required to provide change. Its an optional 'service' provided by the shop.

This isn't quite what we were talking about. In the case you are taking about the shopkeeper would tell you before you handed over the 50 that he won't make change.
    What was discussed was someone handing over 50 thinking it was 20 & the shopkeeper not telling. Deliberately hiding the fact. Then someone saying not giving change at all. Obviously illegal unless he explains beforehand

This isn't quite what we were talking about. In the case you are taking about the shopkeeper would tell you before you handed over the 50 that he won't make change.
    What was discussed was someone handing over 50 thinking it was 20 & the shopkeeper not telling. Deliberately hiding the fact. Then someone saying not giving change at all. Obviously illegal unless he explains beforehand

Or the persin realising but the shopkeeper refusing to return the money saying, sorry your mistake and keeping it.

There's too many people wanting to exploit honest mistakes. It's all one way traffic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Walter2016

E&OE - included in nearly all catalogues.

"Errors & Omissions Excluded"

anewme wrote: »
    I don't think it would be very bad press.

It's an obvious mistake.

Everyone had to accept mistakes happen.

People need to get over this entitlement culture.

"So Joe, I went down to Argos to buy one of the 130 euro washing machines, As seen on TV, and they said it was a mistake Joe and they were actually 600 euro Joe! Its a disgrace Joe".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

"So Joe, I went down to Argos to buy one of the 130 euro washing machines, As seen on TV, and they said it was a mistake Joe and they were actually 600 euro Joe! Its a disgrace Joe".

Yeah, yeah, yeah, terrible. And what about the childer? Were they very upset daddy didn't get the new washing machine? Would you say it's ruined Christmas for them? Yeah. Yeah.

if Joe was silly enough to let that person on air(which I don't think he would be) given the advertising revenue, most normal people would just think the Op was taking the p.

It would certainly not stop me or anyone I know shopping in Argos.

People are starting to hit back at this type of behaviour.

If store manager wanted to make a concession, he could offer 20 off or free delivery as a gesture, that's fair enough(personally I wouldnt) but I would not berete anywhere that refuse to honour a genuine mistake,

Was involved in a sutuation car trade where a 31k car was advertised for 11k. It was pointed out that it was a mistake, but were not being entertained.

Customer insisted on getting it for 11k , knew his rights bah blah or he was going to do all sorts, see his solicitor, facebook rte, consumer protection, the works.

Annoyed the manager so much, he was asked to leave eventually. He did put up a facebook message and write in, he never did buy the car for 11k.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,409 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Argos often have updated brochures (very mini catalogues) advertised just outside their stores and as newspaper supplements.

Doesn't seem to matter anyway as apparently external advertising doesn't lead to a requirement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I went into argos today..
    Nice to hear you on Joe Duffy Today
    http://pca.st/duvw

Advertisement