Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HRI scheme - Do we qualify?

Options
  • 18-11-2016 4:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Hi,
    Just reading through the details of the HRI scheme and I was hoping someone here might be able to clarify something for me.

There are two buildings on our site. An old cottage which we are currently living in and a separate building which was once a stable but had been converted to residential some time pre 63 but has since returned to its original stable/shed like condition.
    Our plan is to bring the stable back up to spec so that we can live in it for the next few years while we get the cash together to do the big job on the main house. After that we were hoping to rent it out. Does anybody know if this will qualify for the Home Renovation Grant? I see from the documentation that "a refurbishment or reconstruction of an uninhabitable house" is exempt from the grant however this is more like a granny flat (seperate building however) and although I wouldn't like to live in it the roof etc is intact.
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Is planning required?
    Sounds like it might be needed?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 0kee

Thanks Kceire,
    We are working on the assumption that as we have a letter from an architect stating that it was residential pre 63 planning will not be required. Will planning be an issue when applying for the HRI Grant?

0kee wrote: »
    Thanks Kceire,
    We are working on the assumption that as we have a letter from an architect stating that it was residential pre 63 planning will not be required. Will planning be an issue when applying for the HRI Grant?

Might be an issue further down the line.
    Also the HRI scheme has limits so it will restrict your access to it later too.

I would be lodging a Section 5 app to council to confirm planning status.

kceire wrote: »
    Might be an issue further down the line.
    Also the HRI scheme has limits so it will restrict your access to it later too.

I would be lodging a Section 5 app to council to confirm planning status.

I'll look into that. Thanks for the advice. Would getting planning retrospectively be an option? We aren't actually changing the structure. New roof which will be a bit higher to accommodate the water tank, but that's it. In terms of ruling out the grant for the main house, probably not an issue. Don't see us being able to fund that by the new 2018 deadline and this project would fit nicely with the 30,000 max.

It's the use that might have lapsed.
    The higher roof might kick in the planning requirement anyhow.

• Advertisement

Thanks for directing me to Section 5, been reading up and seems to be the way to go. This is all new to us. I suppose this means we'll have to postpone work until we get this clarified. Cheers

Advertisement