Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting room to a couple

Options
  • 18-11-2016 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi I have rooms rented out in my house but now a couple want a room. Any pros and cons to renting to a couple. My self and my husband live here also

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,902 ✭✭✭✭L1011

More likely to want to cook properly in the kitchen, watch TV together. Double the bathroom usage (unless you're renting the room with an ensuite or dedicated bathroom of course)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭ejabrod

From personal experience it's a bad idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

L1011 wrote: »
    More likely to want to cook properly in the kitchen, watch TV together. Double the bathroom usage (unless you're renting the room with an ensuite or dedicated bathroom of course)

I shared briefly with a couple and the kitchen thing was a pain in the ass. I'd come in from work wanting to cook my dinner and they'd be sitting at the table having a leisurely coupley meal. I felt like I was intruding. Even if I hadn't felt this way, it was still an inconvenience. I couldn't use the pans or saucepans because they were still on the cooker, unwashed. They were in the way because the table was near the worktop...

Couples also means double the laundry if it's a shared washing machine /dryer/ clothes horse. Possibly an extra parking space gone outside if they both drive.

Then if they like their rows and noisy sex you'll be treated to those. If they're inconsiderate they'll hog the communal areas and the telly. You have an issue with one and you're dealing with a couple. There's a good reason why many house shares won't allow couples.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Ayuntamiento

Financially, you can charge more for the room than you could if you rent it to just one person. If the room was going for €600 for one person you could safely ask for €900 for the two of them.
    It's hard for couples to get apartment shares so just set out your ground rules from the first time you meet them. Address any issues that would worry you from day one.
    Think about it this way, you could rent the room to one person and then it turns out they have a boyfriend/girlfriend who stays over every single weekend/throughout the week. You can try and put limits on that but there'll be an expectation that a person in a relationship can have sleepovers at least a couple of nights a week.
    This type of situation comes up every week on boards and causes so much hassle.
    At least you know exactly what you're getting with a couple. And you charge accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Donnajoe

ejabrod wrote: »
    From personal experience it's a bad idea.

Can u tell me more

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

You're a couple too, so won't be too attractive for a singleton to rent from.

Take what you can get.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭worded

Money wise you will be laughing
    Advertise as single for 600 couple circa 750 to 900
    They may work different hours to you which could suit cooking

Bills - 4 of you ? Cool - bills div 4 not 3

Sharing with a couple means no random ONS

I was in your situation and choose a couple for the first time
    and they are the Best flat mates ever

It depends on the ppl

Having one ensure / 2 bathrooms could Be important for 4 ppl
    In 1 house

Go with your instincts - do they seem like good people to you ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,969 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Different having a couple from the outset with rent, rules and contributions settled, than having a couple emerge from a single occupant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

Donnajoe wrote: »
    Can u tell me more

If you have a disagreement with either of them, since they are a couple they will take sides of their boyfriend/girlfriend. Where as if they were friends, one might tell the other they were unreasonable. If they are having a bad period, everyone in the house has to bare the brunt of it since both of them will be there.

I worked retail and the golden rule was never hire a couple as it nevers works out in the workplace, never mind in a rented house. I never seen how it was relevant until I worked with a couple this summer and I was a nightmare. We all had to deal with them fighting etc

If you can get professional who works in a multinational and uses the place for bed versus a couple who will be parking their arse on the sofa most of the time, I think I know which one I would want to live with.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

A Couple will be there most of the time ,
    singles go out a lot, a couple cook a lot, make more noise ,than a single person.My friend is a landlord ,he rents 3 rooms out to single professionals .
    Usually females who work in busy jobs on a good salary .
    They are quiet and do not argue with anyone.Theres no upside to having a couple as tenants .In todays crazy market you can charge
    100plus per week for one room anyway .I lived in a house with 2 other single tenants ,it was very quiet most of the time .I would have no wish
    to live in a house with a couple vs a house with single people.
    1 extra person one more person cooking, using bathroom ,washing machine .

• Advertisement
Advertisement