Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When is it too early to put up the Christmas tree

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

How did that happen!? :pac:

Everybody remember the Let's see your Christmas trees 2016 thread to show off your decor when you do have your trees up!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Toy show night! I'm very excited :)

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

The one good thing about having a fake tree is that it can go up nice and early and I don't have to worry about it falling apart before Christmas. Myself and my little boy would have the tree up by now but the hubby has said no way is it going up before December, so decorating shall start the evening of Friday the 2nd, and be completed on Saturday the 3rd (basically when we start it the night before, I put all my fancy irreplaceable decorations on while the youngling is in bed) and then his school have their Christmas Fair on Sunday the 4th so it'll be a nice way to start the festive season.

Then there's the tree in my parents' house, which is an entire family affair and with various schedules having to be co-ordinated it's like a military operation. They get a real tree, and it's usually about 10-12ft but we cut enough off the top so it fits in a standard height room. 2 cars go to get the tree (one for people, one for the tree) then there's the task of getting it into the house - it has to be brought around the side return and in through the french doors in the back cos it won't fit through the front door. Then once it's in the stand, any injuries sustained in the process are treated, and tea is served with some M&S Belgian biscuits. Then lights go on (20 sets) then decorations. Once that is finished we order a chipper and watch Home Alone :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭Jude13

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Traditionally Christmas trees are put up 8th Dec and take down little Christmas 6th January. However I've already seen trees up not far from my own house. Bottom line is tradition seems to be out the window so whenever takes you fancy. :)

Yeah thats the tradition, we live abroad in a non Christmassy country. We fly home this year on the 15th, we try and get 3-4 weeks worth of Christmas out of it so we put ours up yesterday. It's just not worth it otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

kitten_k wrote: »
    We always put ours up the last weekend in November for the Toy Show. Still putting them up next Friday night even thought the Toy Show has moved.
    Loughc wrote: »
    Me too!! :D

Me three!:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

Wait .......... do people take their Christmas trees down??? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

I usually put it up 3-4 weeks before Christmas and take it down on little Christmas. I always go for a real tree so can't really have it up for too much longer. This year I'm thinking of putting it up on the weekend of the toy show (it'll be the Saturday or Sunday)

iguana wrote: »
    Me three!:D
    Mine is going up next Friday/Saturday too. Can't wait!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

About the 1st of December....but as my Christmas decorations stash is growing every year, I will probably start pulling it out and putting stuff up from next weekend...or maybe even later this week

• Registered Users Posts: 10,315 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Ours will go up 2 weeks before so this year that'll probably be Saturday 10th Dec, though I never leave it up until 6th Jan, prefer it down before I go back to work so will probably take it down on the 2nd Jan this year. I hate the idea of it being up too long before as IMO it takes the buzz away being up for 4-5 weeks or so.

Once the holidays are over I tend to get a bit of a downer that its done & dusted for another year so prefer to just get back to normal ASAP.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,596 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Even tough I love Christmas we can be a bit later than others putting up out trees.
    We generally put put up the Outside lights and the candle bridges on the windows on the 8th/around the 8th.
    Outside and window decorations come down on the 7th of January and inside we leave the tree up for a little longer but the can't be lit until the curtains are closed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Shoe Lover

Caved in last night - needed some Christmas in my life and my OH was not at home so me and my one year old got out the little 3 foot tree I got in Tesco, set it up and turned the lights on it! Delighted with ourselves :D She thought it was brilliant, kept saying "look, Christmas mam" :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭cookiecakes

We're putting ours up this weekend. I can't wait! It's slightly earlier than usual but I'm getting my Christmas holidays Friday week and I totally don't want to get my holidays and come home to a Christmas Tree-less house!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

We can't wait to put ours up but try to leave it till the first weekend in December because by the start of January were normally sick looking at it. Also we have a new puppy and that'll be fun with the lights and stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭French_Girl

I am itching to put mine up!

Been bringing out more and more decorations these past few days now and so really there's only one thing left to be brought out.
    I usually put it up around this time (by end of November/early December) so think this weekend will be it!
    I'm planning on spending the whole day shopping around for some more Christmas pieces and pressies, treating myself to a hot chocolate and then finishing the day putting up the tree.
    Yay!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Anything before the weekend second before Christmas is bonkers.
    The weekend before Christmas is just about tolerable in this day and age, though far from ideal.
    Christmas eve still has a lot to recommend it.
    But certainly, earlier than the 12 or 13th is too early.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Gator88

The weekend before Christmas is just about tolerable in this day and age, though far from ideal.

Bah Humbug. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Gator88 wrote: »
    Bah Humbug. :)

Opinions sought, help given. Prefer my Christmas of quality rather than quantity. A drop of Champagne rather than a thin orange squash diluted to stretch it for months, if you will. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

Opinions sought, help given. Prefer my Christmas of quality rather than quantity. A drop of Champagne rather than a thin orange squash diluted to stretch it for months, if you will. :)

I think most of us would describe it as a whole magnum of Champagne! :) Quantity and quality for those who revel in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭Jude13

Jayop wrote: »
    We can't wait to put ours up but try to leave it till the first weekend in December because by the start of January were normally sick looking at it. Also we have a new puppy and that'll be fun with the lights and stuff.

We have a new dog too, she loves eating flip flops and bras so we were very worried about the tree, all the ornaments and our two wicker reindeer however she has been grand.

The one thing she takes is a Santa soft toy, which she reaches up on to a shelf (shes big) and takes to her bed. No damage, she just sleeps with it. Young love.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

Eva Longoria has her tree up. Just sayin'. :pac:

402211.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

They are currently putting the trees up in work :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

15078588_376412169373512_8783159136742259719_n.jpg?oh=55cf50490b53dbde05fd89d9520c7217&oe=58BD7468

• Registered Users Posts: 5,396 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I prefer to put the tree up and get the house decorated the week before Christmas (or thereabouts, depends on when it's falling - Christmas, not the tree!).

As much as I enjoy Christmas, I want to really savour and enjoy the build up and excitement. I just feel that if I started too early (IMO) a lot of the fun and excitement would have faded by the time the Big Day arrives.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 GerHankey

We would generally do it the last weekend in November (Toy Show weekend), but the wintry weather last weekend just put us in the mood so the tree is already up!
    That said, we will have it down again a day or two after Christmas. Once the big day is over it seems a bit "in the way". Its nice to start the New Year with a clean fresh house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

You're wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 eurobillschulz

Far too early to be even thinking of putting up Christmas Trees. It is confusing to children.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,523 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Up on Dec 20th, down on 3rd Jan

Far too early to be even thinking of putting up Christmas Trees. It is confusing to children.
    Well since my house is one of many which doesn't have any children in it, that's not really an issue. :pac:

Young children usually can't tell the time or read, so also make sure there are no clocks or books in your house to confuse them with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭xDisneyDivax

We put up our trees tonight!! planned to do it next Friday before toy show but we will be back from Dublin the night before and we will be working

Advertisement