Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New puppy-few issues

• 18-11-2016 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭

Hi. Have a 14 week old puppy. He is great. Knows not to go to the bathroom inside and doesn't cry at night. Really good!

2 things ... 1. What's the best way to discourage biting? As in people and the other two dogs we have?

2. How do I encourage the existing dogs to tolerate him. The 10year old has a good temperament and gives a warning growl when bitten by the pup and uses his head to push him away. The 6yr old can't deal at all with the puppy and is terrified when he runs at him and goes to lash out and we intervene. However he is curious when the puppy is calm and still and not trying to bite him!

All help appreciated.

Oh, and should I be discouraging the pup from barking indoors? He is starting to pick up the habit of consistent barking and I'd like to nip it in the bud!

All 3 are basset hounds FYI

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I'd leave the older dogs to put manners on him - as long as they're not getting too annoyed and he's not pestering them too much. My girl never bit any of us at all - her big bro thought her not to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Pepp1989

tk123 wrote:
    I'd leave the older dogs to put manners on him - as long as they're not getting too annoyed and he's not pestering them too much. My girl never bit any of us at all - her big bro thought her not to.

Hi. Ya the older will do that for us but I just don't trust the other guy. Which means we can't just leave them all off unfortunately.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Have you brought them for walks together yet? It's a great way for dogs to bond with limited messing and wrestling.

As for the biting of humans, have a read of the linked thread. The same verbal warnings, once the pup has copped what they mean, can be used to get pup to back off your other dogs.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=94253436

DBB wrote:
    Have you brought them for walks together yet? It's a great way for dogs to bond with limited messing and wrestling.

No not yet. Will try this tomorrow thanks.

• Advertisement

Pepp1989 wrote: »
    No not yet. Will try this tomorrow thanks.

Several short walks per day rather than one long one... Preferably off lead and at pup's pace... Don't do too much pavement pounding with such a young pup :)

DBB wrote: »
    Several short walks per day rather than one long one... Preferably off lead and at pup's pace... Don't do too much pavement pounding with such a young pup :)

Is he too young for lead training? Would you have all 3 dogs off leads or maybe the older 2 on the lead with the pup off? Thanks for the advice

Pepp1989 wrote: »
    Is he too young for lead training? Would you have all 3 dogs off leads or maybe the older 2 on the lead with the pup off? Thanks for the advice

Personally, if you can bring them somewhere quiet and safe to go off lead, I'd let them all off to mingle, sniff and potter together or apart, whatever they choose. He's not too young for lead training, but I'd regard that as a separate issue to using walks to get them bonding with one another better.

DBB wrote: »
    Personally, if you can bring them somewhere quiet and safe to go off lead, I'd let them all off to mingle, sniff and potter together or apart, whatever they choose. He's not too young for lead training, but I'd regard that as a separate issue to using walks to get them bonding with one another better.

OK great! Thank you! Will try that. If they start getting on it will make my life so much easier! Because he is a great pup!

You should also find it useful to invest in a playpen (there are fab puppy playpens on Amazon) that pup can spend time with the other dogs without being able to pester them... It'll help him to peacefully become part of the furniture, particularly for the lad who's not taking to pup so well :)

• Advertisement

DBB wrote:
    You should also find it useful to invest in a playpen (there are fab puppy playpens on Amazon) that pup can spend time with the other dogs without being able to pester them... It'll help him to peacefully become part of the furniture, particularly for the lad who's not taking to pup so well

Oh really? Never considered it. I'll have a look. I'd imagine with Bassets I'll need a fairly sturdy one. Please God they'll eventually just either tolerate each other or ignore each other!

Advertisement