Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Walking Dead | Season 7 | Episode 5 | Go Getters [AMC] [SPOILERS]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Last year was bad, but this season has been absolutely atrocious so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Hombre Lobo

Jesus I hope Coral get's killed. Sick of his emo attitude at this stage.

Brutal episode tonight. Show has taken a real nose dive this season IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,648 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

A strange episode for me, I was completely disengaged from the characters as they tried to come to terms with the events of episode 1, still fresh for them but well resolved for me. A symptom of the poorly structured narrative prevalent this season. The whole tractor thing felt completely out of place, the kind of thing I'd expect to see in Z Nation. Out of place but cool.

I did enjoy the little moment with Carl & Enid rollerskating as dumb as it was. It was a small moment of happiness in an otherwise bleak existence for them. And good for Carl at the end, that was the first time in ages he wasn't annoying.

Also plenty of Trevor Philips... I mean Steven Ogg, which is always enjoyable.

I liked it more than I hated it 7/10

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

Could see that being the last straw for a lot of people. Dreadful stuff.

Not even just because it was boring, some of the acting was atrocious and that whole music scene was like a parody.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I actually didn't hate this episode the way some of you did. Was it dull and boring? Sure. But at least this one didn't insult your intelligence by featuring a former battered wife now acting like Solid Snake, or a crazy guy with a CGI tiger who's convinced Trump country people to make him their king, or a whistling Russell Brand-esque prancing irritant trying to act like a hard man. By the shockingly low standards this show has plummeted to, I thought this episode was fine. Compared to the other episode's goofiness this episode was like a breath of fresh air to me. NO Austin Tatious. NO Carol. NO whacky Disney king. I actually made it through this episode without having to pull clumps of my hair out or swear at the telly. Result.

Having said that, there were flaws. And dumb ones at that.

Carl says he's done saving Enid - dude, you locked her in a closet. No one thinks it's heroic keeping someone in a closet unless you're a Hollywood agent. And our great hero follows this promise up - he's DONE saving her remember - by nearly killing himself, colliding head on into a walker with a car to save her. She didn't look like she was in danger, plus how could she not spot the thing in such an open space in the first place?

The character of Jesus is a bit all over the place - he was brazen enough to take on Daryl and Rick at the same time last season but now he doesn’t have the guts to challenge a guy with all the gravitas and stature of David Moyes? Doesn't wash.

As others mentioned on the thread, the walkers don't feel a threat now. We had an invasion of them with only three people to fend them off - one pregnant - and yet I never felt they were in danger. Quite a contrast to the invasion of the farm early in the show. The zombies have become like the putties in Power Rangers: just an irritating side-mission now.

The scene with the roller blades was cringeworthy. At least have a walker show up and give us a fun chase scene. How great would that have been? And Carl shouting, 'Enid, glide to me. Quick.'

Simon was good imo. This guy is a VAST improvement on Austin Tatious aka Negan, although that's not hard. He actually carries an air of menace about him and doesn't feel like it's forced. It doesn't feel like it's coming from a guy who before the apocalypse was probably doing amateur dramatics on Saturday afternoons which is the vibe I get from the other wally. I liked the tension of the scene with him and Gregory. Was it my imagination or was Gregory presented as nice last season? Now he seems to have gone full-blown arse which feels hard to buy.

Back to Carl who seems to have taken the recent harrowing events that the group faced in his stride, and now wants to go Commando on several dozen armed guys. Enid meanwhile wants him to go Commando in a different way. What does Carl do? Why, puts himself in mortal danger of course by going after the armed guys! This guy is too dumb to care about.

Maggie's accent seems to have gone OTT in between the seasons too. It felt milder last season whereas now she feels like she could be an extra on King of the Hill. I was half expecting her to offer Gregory propane and propane accessories. Oh, and as for her reason for giving away the watch - 'I don't need anything to remember Glenn', be honest Maggie: you gave that watch away because it's jinxed. Lookwhat happened to the others that had it. If I was Enid I'd give it to Gregory.

So not a great episode by any means, but because all the usual annoying culprits were out of the way I found this much easier to get through, and I will give this episode a pass grade, which I believe is the first one from me of the season: 4/10.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Essien wrote:
    Could see that being the last straw for a lot of people. Dreadful stuff.

I've followed this show by show since the start. Think I had three to watch one year when I was away
    But im going to let it build up now.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

The high of episode 1 allowed a couple of slow filler episodes, but jeez, this is taking the mick. From a mountain top to a valley in terms of tense drama over the season. That scene with the fires and music playing, there was no edge to it, it just happened without any serious sense of threat.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,341 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Usually I can get something from even some of the slower episodes of TWD but this one was pretty damn dull.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭Oodoov

This show has fallen off a cliff this season. Yawn

• Registered Users Posts: 17,439 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Simon was good imo. This guy is a VAST improvement on Austin Tatious aka Negan, although that's not hard. He actually carries an air of menace about him and doesn't feel like it's forced. It doesn't feel like it's coming from a guy who before the apocalypse was probably doing amateur dramatics on Saturday afternoons which is the vibe I get from the other wally. I liked the tension of the scene with him and Gregory.

This guy voiced the character of Trevor in GTAV and by god it was a role he was born to play. He would have been a fantastic choice to have played Negan but I guess the directors wanted someone more high profile or with more experience.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Not the most memorable episode ever.

How does Carl think he can kill Neagan (I presume that is why he is in the truck) with no weapons? I get that he is angry, but his lack of common sense is astounding.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,222 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I'd agree with the general consensus here. I think I'll be binge watching the rest of the season after the last one has aired.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭sabhail

Didn't think it was that bad tbh. Liked the info re hilltop, interesting to see jesus would never be leader, bit like daryl but not as strong or stupid maybe..

for some previous poster, Gregory was an arsehole last season too...

Liked seeing Maggie and Sasha , tho poor Sasha, getting the necklace Rosita made for Abe...

Sometimes think those who think Carl is awful don't know any teenagers.. I think he's convincing as teen, tho really really hate his hair. Every teen knows what to do, how the world works etc. V v many teens would make decision to go and kill negan.

Funny how boxsets has really changed how people rate shows, as someone who watched 1-4 in two wks, its strange how unsatisfying one at time is. Watching them all together , would get rid of one story one location one week..

And nice to see michonne make effort to cheer rick up, even tho she clearly thinks he's wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

This season is bordering on Dexter seasons 5-8 levels of awfulness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

Oh, and as for her reason for giving away the watch - 'I don't need anything to remember Glenn', be honest Maggie: you gave that watch away because it's jinxed. Lookwhat happened to the others that had it. If I was Enid I'd give it to Gregory.

LOL ok this made me laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    I read somewhere that the writers have plans in place for seasons 11 and 12 so I wouldn't hold your breath.

I saw that as well but if viewers are dropping AMC will drop it as well.

I liked the show but annoys me when they keep it going unnecessarily, similar to Dexter as someone mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

the only good thing about that episode was Carl playing darts.

I mean seriously, how many does he need to shoot before realizing he has to go more to the right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 666 ✭✭✭maximum12

marvin80 wrote: »

I liked the show but annoys me when they keep it going unnecessarily, similar to Dexter as someone mentioned.

Viewer numbers are holding up pretty well considering it's season 7. They're getting 11-12 million in the US each week, more than they were getting in first three seasons. Episode 1 this season got 17m. It peaked around 13-14m each week in Season 5.

By contrast, my favourite show on TV, which is The Americans gets under 1m viewers in the US each week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

marvin80 wrote: »

That will never happen. It gets considerably more viewers on a weekly basis than other massive shows like Games of Thrones, sometimes the figures are actually double GOT.

No danger of cancellation, which means it will continue to plod and meander at unnecessarily slow pace.

The last season of Fear the Walking Dead, whilst not a great production, was far better paced than TWD.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭LandoCalrissian

The show is really starting to ask a lot of the viewers in that I am finding I am still watching due to commitment rather than anticipation

This episode really annoyed me - even the moments in it that were supposed to raise the tempo
    1. The Hill Top gates being breached
    2. Negans men searching the house will they find Maggie & Sasha
    Were both mehhhh at best

Carl's arrival to come to Enids aid made no sense whatsoever
    I was literally asking myself wtf is going on has the feed skipped and I've missed something

Rollerskates me billix - that's all I am saying on that matter

I just hope Negan kills Carl

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Don't Hilltop have guards at night? Honestly, they're too stupid to be let live. Take Jesus and the doctor and let the rest go the way evolution dictates.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭frash

Surprised nobody has mentioned Jesus' karate kicks on the zombies.

It looked like a pi$$-take - almost comical

• Registered Users Posts: 33,804 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Only Jesus and Simon made this episode in any way good. Jesus seems like he could be a great character, and Simon is just brilliant.

Carl's a f*cking dumbass. Can't throw darts straight, oh, I know, I'm going to go to Negan's base and kill everyone. Also, how lucky that they found two pairs of rollerskates in one bag that just happened to be their sizes.

Maggie's accent is getting worse and worse. She keeps reminding me of Adam Sandler in The Waterboy.

Sasha, I've never given two f*cks about and don't see that changing any time soon.

Gregory is okay, at least his character is interesting in how inept he is.

How the f*ck did the Saviours get the car in, set all the fires, and get that many walkers together to enter the gates without nobody seeing or hearing? And what was their plan? Only for Maggie and Sasha being there there seems to be no way the Hilltop People would have been able to survive.

Again, only for the fact I really like Jesus and Simon's characters, this would have been a complete dud for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

I have a weird thing for Jesus so that was the only good thing about this episode for me :o

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭forumuser

Penn wrote: »
    How the f*ck did the Saviours get the car in, set all the fires, and get that many walkers together to enter the gates without nobody seeing or hearing? And what was their plan? Only for Maggie and Sasha being there there seems to be no way the Hilltop People would have been able to survive.

Think their plan was that Hilltop would need to be 'saved' by them from the walkers and to remind hilltop that they wouldn't survive without the Saviours.

I thought this episode was pretty boring. I don't usually mind the slower episodes but this one was really poor. Thought the roller skates were stupid, how the f*ck were they going to run away if they were attacked?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,757 ✭✭✭✭klose

Yawn, so dissapointing after the first episode of the season. Load of meh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,947 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

I feel jealous of my younger self who didn't start watching until the start of season 4. To think of the days when i binge watched 3 series in a matter of weeks. :D:D

If episodes like this must exist they should only exist in a time of binge watching. Nobody should have to wait 7 days for a stand alone episode of this mediocrity :mad:

Been a poor season since that intense opening.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Austin Tatious aka Negan.

That's not funny. It's never been funny. It never will be funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

I
    This guy is a VAST improvement on Austin Tatious aka Negan,
    Omackeral wrote: »
    That's not funny. It's never been funny. It never will be funny.

The gas thing is, whenever I read his weekly "I didn't think it could get worse, this show is awful, I am never watching again" posts, the term ostentatious is the first thing that comes to my mind!! :D

There was a couple of funny tit bits in the post this week, to be fair!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,998 ✭✭✭conorhal

frash wrote: »
    Surprised nobody has mentioned Jesus' karate kicks on the zombies.

It looked like a pi$$-take - almost comical

I'm glad I'm not the only one that pissed myself laughing at 'Kung-Fu Jesus'.

More Kung-Fu Jesus please, even unintentionally this show could use a few laughs.

Advertisement