Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cat lost weight.

• 19-11-2016 1:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭

As the title says. She's 5 years old, spayed and a good solid cat. She's an indoor/outdoors cat sometimes disappearing for up to 2 days before returning home to eat her fill of food and sleep on the sofa. We live in a very remote area so she's safe outdoors and loves to hunt.

She returned this evening after 2 days. She seems very light/thinner. Not gaunt-skinny but definitely thinner. I gave her a piece of ham, she turned up het nose at it (not normal for her). My 4 cats are free-fed and have food on a loop. She sniffed the food and wouldn't eat it.

She's wandering around the house now, like shes a bit upset. I carried her around for a bit and she was happy and purry for a few minutes but she still won't eat.

She was dosed with advocate 2 weeks ago so I doubt it's worms or fleas. I'm concerned about her tbh. Should I bring her to a vet? I'm afraid shes losing condition although her coat is fantastic and her eyes are bright.

Any advice?

Thanks for reading.

Fluffy

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Might be worth a visit to the vet to check her teeth, one of mine is very prone to teeth problems and will seem fine other than just not interested in food, tends to lose a bit of weight too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Fluffy Cat 88

Never occurred to me that it could be her teeth. If she's not back to normal tomorrow morning I'll take her to the vet.

Thanks for replying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭morgana

How is her behaviour? If she is also more quiet definitely a vet trip. Cats not eating can get serious quite quickly. Had it a few times that one of our cats wouldn't eat and become quite Lethargic. Turned out to be cat bite abcess easily treated with antibiotics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 390 ✭✭StillThinking

morgana wrote:
    How is her behaviour? If she is also more quiet definitely a vet trip. Cats not eating can get serious quite quickly. Had it a few times that one of our cats wouldn't eat and become quite Lethargic. Turned out to be cat bite abcess easily treated with antibiotics.

Same thing has happened twice with our cat, first time didn't have a notion what was wrong, didn't even notice the bite it was so small. Second time I checked him all over till I found the bite and it was straight to the vet, back to normal in a day or two

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭The Raptor

Same thing happened here, cat with abscess from a cat bite. They are so hard to find on them, you don't notice it until the cat is of form. Do take a trip to the vet. Its better going early than waiting for something more serious to develop.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Fluffy Cat 88

Thanks everyone for replying.

Brought her to our vet this morning, she reckons puss was attacked by another cat and got a smack in the mouth. There's a small infected area in her mouth. She injected puss with an antibiotic.

She's eating wet food now and sleeping a lot. Hopefully she'll regain the lost weight soon.

Advertisement