Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have I burned bridges here?

Options
  • 19-11-2016 9:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I'm in my job about 4 years. I joined a large company A and this year our smallish department was sold to company B. We are in the same building though in our own area with key cards

We still get mails from Company A because we are on a zillion distribution lists and one was a list of open positions. I applied and was offered an interview and got a job offer, hurray!!

However HR cancelled it and explained a contract was signed between company A and company B. It isn't called "no poaching" but that's how I would describe it. There is a block for 18 months. Us employees were never told at the time, it was signed by senior management and the lawyers. Ok I genuinely hadn't known and I think the HR recruiter and the hiring manager hadn't known either.

I was very disappointed because the role was a step up. I then learned another staff member went to our director and got an exception and was allowed to move back to company A. I gave this example to HR and they went off and checked and said no again.

My line manger was aware of all this. I worked hard at the same role for four years, Company B is small with a hiring freeze and zero promotion prospects. My line manager said he would never hold anyone back and I should go talk to the director.

I went to the director and explained the story and asked can I get an exception to return to Company A and gave the precident of the other guy. I was very respectful and explained I was in the same role for four years, enjoyed my time and Company A was offering me a promotion, etc, etc.

Was told "I'll think about it" and I never heard anything and now the job is long gone. I would accept a "no" but I received zero news at all. What's more is I sit by the door and the previously friendly director just blanks me, it's awkward. Out for drinks last night for a popular girl who was leaving and the director talked to everyone but me though we were standing beside each other.

Hey I'm not expecting to be friends with everyone, I'm not needy but I feel a tension there and it's just damn awkward.

Did I burn bridges here? I don't expect to get promoted in Company B due to the hiring freeze but I never intended to piss people off. I gave four years of hard work and just wanted to progress.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,970 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Director is probably embarrassed that he couldn't help you. (He should be, given the situation.)

IMHO no bridges burned, just keep trying for better jobs elsewhere, using your line manager as a referee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Director is probably embarrassed that he couldn't help you. (He should be, given the situation.)

IMHO no bridges burned, just keep trying for better jobs elsewhere, using your line manager as a referee.

Bridge to where burned?

You said there were no opportunities in your current job. Therefore no bridges burned.

Advertisement