Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Babies in restraunts? What age is too young?

Options
  • 19-11-2016 10:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭

Hi , I'm just wondering what people think about bringing a two month old baby to a restraunt or a pub for some food?

Also an other ideas to spend time with a two month old are greatly appreciated,
    Thank you.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

I'd suggest maybe don't go to a "higher end" type of place at 8 in the evening of a Saturday unless you are ready for some filthy looks and possibly unfriendly words when the baby cries. But 6 or 7 in the evening in a casual place I see no issue. And I don't have any kids so I don't have a parents bias.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭DamienDarts

I'd suggest maybe don't go to a "higher end" type of place at 8 in the evening of a Saturday unless you are ready for some filthy looks and possibly unfriendly words when the baby cries. But 6 or 7 in the evening in a casual place I see no issue. And I don't have any kids so I don't have a parents bias.

Cheers,
    Oh ya the latest would be 6ish but im thinking more afternoon time today.
    He usually sleeps away after a short spin in the car anyway so he should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

I found it nearly easier to bring a baby into restaurant when he was younger. At that age you can just bring them in, in their car seat and they sleep most of the time. It's much harder work when they need a highchair and to be kept occupied.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Babies that young are fine anywhere. They don't move, don't make a mess, sleep most of the time and in general any crying is easily stopped by feeding them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

After eight weeks of baby, you might both be glad of a break so if there's someone you trust to babysit, do that. It'll be nerve-racking the first few times but you can't be joined at the hip till the child turns 16.

If it's not practical or possible to leave the baby at home, then yes, choose your time and type of place as above. A little common sense like feeding the baby at home, leaving the main area to comfort them if they get distressed and abandoning ship if it goes pear-shaped will earn you the gratitude of your fellow diners. It will go pear-shaped on occasion, even for the best of parents and the sweetest babies.

It's not so much about age as the attitude of the parents.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Walter2016

Early evening shouldn't be an issue - I don't have kids, but would not see any issue with babies in restaurants 5-7pm ish. Parents still have to have treats even after having a baby :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Walter2016

Dubl07 wrote: »

It's not so much about age as the attitude of the parents.

100% agree.

Babies and small children are grand from Lunchtime to 6ish. Just don't let them run amok without correcting them. Children learn from adults and need guidelines.

Have you tried swimming lessons? Also simple things like going to a playground.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

I'd say get out and do it while it's easy. Once weaning starts at 6 mths it's way harder. You've to feed them, entertain them, they throw food on the floor etc. Almost zero chance of enjoying eating out with them! It only gets better around 2....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I was out and about within the first two weeks. Had lunch once a week with my colleagues for about 4 months straight and it was a lifeline to the adult world. I think I only had to bail out once. I still go for lunch the odd time with him now (he's 22 months) but it's a whole differebt ball game lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

Also simple things like going to a playground.
    Playground with a two month old.. sure the videos would be funny, but doubt the child would enjoy it.

Op, most pubs would have kids/babies till about 6. So enjoy, and when junior does let out a scream, know that most others in there are just happy it's not theirs for a change!! :D

D0NNELLY wrote: »
    Playground with a two month old.. sure the videos would be funny, but doubt the child would enjoy it.

Op, most pubs would have kids/babies till about 6. So enjoy, and when junior does let out a scream, know that most others in there are just happy it's not theirs for a change!! :D

It won't always be 2 months old!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

It all depends on what your primary purpose is.
    If you're offended by ignorant middle classes not impressed by your kid crying and embarrassed by your own kin maybe see a phychotherapist.

If you're not easily offended go out and eat enjoy yourselves and don't give a fck what superficial knobs think.

Have you tried swimming lessons? Also simple things like going to a playground.

Is a two month old not a bit young for swimming lessons and a playground?

Thanks for all the replys very helpful, kind of confirmed what i thought myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Anne_cordelia

Babies and small children are grand from Lunchtime to 6ish. Just don't let them run amok without correcting them. Children learn from adults and need guidelines.

Ah the naivety.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Anne_cordelia

At 2 months old restaurants are fine. No need to worry about feeding when out and about. Do what you need to do. I find hotel restaurants are good as they usually have kids in them so even 7/8 is fine as babies that young don't have bedtimes.

Re swimming. They can go swimming from any age really as long as it's a very heated pool. I think around 34 degrees plus is ok for very little ones

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

The 1st time I brought the 1st out for food she was 3 days old the rest were 1day old .
    They are small and portable ,you can bring them anywhere .

• Registered Users Posts: 23,543 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Hi , I'm just wondering what people think about bringing a two month old baby to a restraunt or a pub for some food?

Also an other ideas to spend time with a two month old are greatly appreciated,
    Thank you.
    TBH from day 1 to about 7 months is the best time as they'll generally sleep in the car seat under the table, once they are mobile they get bored and don't sit still

• Registered Users Posts: 3,995 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

I agree - we ate in a Michelin star restaurant when our baby was a month old, nobody knew he was there he just sat in his car seat under the table the whole time, sleeping. We had timed it so we'd just given him feed before going in and then afterwards.

He's now 13 months and I wouldn't take him now obviously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Our daughters first outing was when she was less than a week old. We eat out maybe once a week and as she grew she went from the car seat, to the buggy, to the high chair. We tend to choose family friendly places like a pizzeria or a gastropub rather than high end dining. She's 15 months now and loves going out to eat and so far hasn't had a meltdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I agree - we ate in a Michelin star restaurant when our baby was a month old, nobody knew he was there he just sat in his car seat under the table the whole time, sleeping. We had timed it so we'd just given him feed before going in and then afterwards.

He's now 13 months and I wouldn't take him now obviously.

I was going to say something similar. I was in a nice restaurant when my son was about 3 months. He was in the car seat with the hood up, slept for the entire thing and no one noticed him.

So, the answer is no age is too young if you plan it well and they sleep. Clean nappy before you go, food, and winded nicely and book for a time they normally sleep. If they spend the time crying it'll be a pain in the arse though.

Advertisement