Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What options do I have for not paying 2K+?

Options
  • 19-11-2016 10:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

my husband and I want to buy a car soon, but we are worried about the insurance price. Here my details as a driver:

Female
    32 years old
    Spanish - got my license in Spain in 12/2008

We moved to Dublin 2 years ago and our intention is to stay in a permanent way, so I exchange my license to a full Irish on 02/2015.

We sold our car in Spain, and we used our insurance to fix some scratches (2014), so I don't have NCB.

What companies are the best for our situation? Is there any way to get an insurance under 1K? What type of car should I be looking for to minimise the insurance?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭noel100

Boxymo.ie
    Axa drivesafe

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭akesha

Thanks,

I have tried to get a quote from boxymo, but they won't give me an insurance....

I think the problem could be one of these questions/answers:

Did I pass my test in Ireland? No
    Years driving in Ireland - 1 (although I didn't, but I am counting years since I got my full Irish license)
    NCB - 0

As car details, I added a Renault Clio 2008 1.2l...

Also, I have doubts about the procedure to get a car. Should I choose a car model first and then talk to the insurance companies? We wouldn't like a small car anyway, we would like to go to Ikea and load some furniture for example...

Edit: Axa doesn´t cover me either :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Cheaper insurance isn't an entitlement.

You have no driving experience in Ireland and you had a claim two years ago in Spain.

It doesn't particularly matter that it was only a minor one.

You are going to have to take the hit and pay the going rate for what you would be rated as, a first time policy holder in Ireland.

Its not ideal but we have all had to start somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭koutoubia

You won't get insurance for under 1000 euro. In fact if you can get insurance under 2000 I would be surprised. Try Liberty.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

akesha wrote: »
    We sold our car in Spain, and we used our insurance to fix some scratches (2014), so I don't have NCB.

Does single claim to fix scratches cause loss of all your NCB in Spain?
    Isn't stepback a standard there?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Iamdman93

Try Liberty.[/quote]

Just recently my girlfriend left liberty after her renewal price went from 1100 to 1600! Of course she refused to accept renewal. Shoped around most either no quote or over 2k. Then tried britton, gave 920 quote. Took it straight away! 77 quid a month 300 deposit. Sorted!! My point shop round you might get lucky :-)

CiniO wrote: »
    Does single claim to fix scratches cause loss of all your NCB in Spain?
    Isn't stepback a standard there?

I am not sure about this. In Spain, the more claims you do, more expensive will be your insurance. And they take count the last 5 years.

For example, I had a seat ibiza from 2009 to 2014. In 2014 I was paying around 400 euro (comprehensive with excess), and after the claim I did to repair the scratches, they would ask me to pay 500 or 600 the following year. And then that price will come down year after year if I don´t do a claim. They reduced the price at a maximum of a 55%.

I asked my Spanish insurance to give me a certificate of NCB, and they did. The letter says that from 01/11 to 08/14 I have declared a claim (on 06/14) for own damages. That´s it. I suppose that this means I have 0 NCB.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭MountainAshIRL

Try 25plus.ie they were the only ones to quote me a few years ago when I had a previsonal and it wasn't too expensive

Most of the time when I try to get a quote online, I get that they are not giving me any price.
    I got a call from Britton, and they say that 4K is the best they can do for me...
    From Liberty (online) I get 2750 e, but I am not sure if they will refuse once they get more info ¿?

Any experiences from decline letters? I got one from FBD. Is it worth it if I can't get a decent quote? At this time, even 2k feels good...

Advertisement