Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How have I ended up here

• 19-11-2016 12:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭

As a young man I hardly drank. No event needed me to get tanked up. I always liked a bet, so have a bit of an addictive personality and being shy, I suppose I preferred to have a bet on my own rather than sit in a social group in a pub. Ended up with a well paid, but stressful job. Started buying the odd bottle of wine on the way home but could never drink more than half. I would often pour drink down the sink.

Moved on from job and new one ended in company going out of business in the recession. Over time, I became someone who could easily drink a bottle of wine a night, and great at making excuses to have my last ever bottle the next night. But tomorrow never comes or rather the quitting never comes. I never drink to black out, but realise what I am doing is too much and affecting my health.

I find myself in a job in my 50s which pays me a basic trainee rate, I see no hope of getting a better job due to ageism. I sit and procrastinate in work and get behind and in a state, not sure if drink is contributing to this. I drink more to escape the thoughts of work.

Giving up the job would be a relief, but financial commitments have me trapped. I feel like I am existing rather than living and can see no light at the end of the tunnel.

I haven’t drank few 2 days..going to see if that can help me think clearer. I need any support/help/thoughts/ideas from the good folks on here.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭The flying mouse

Hi savemefrom and welcome, If you came here to try and stop drinking, you have come to right place, Your not alone here as were all in the same boat so can relate to what your going through, keep posting and sharing also here a few support groups that might interest you, as if your trying to stop drinking alcohol you wont do it by yourself, good luck :)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057658188

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭savemefrom

Mouse,

Thanks, I have read a lot on here over the years, and decided to take the plunge and join in.

7 pm onwards is often the worst. My brain forgets the morning pain. I watch the clock tick on to 10pm, will I won't I give myself a "treat" ? just one more before I give it up?

Last night I resisted..another day done and sitting with a cup of tea and clear head this morning.

savemefrom wrote: »
    Mouse,

Thanks, I have read a lot on here over the years, and decided to take the plunge and join in.

7 pm onwards is often the worst. My brain forgets the morning pain. I watch the clock tick on to 10pm, will I won't I give myself a "treat" ? just one more before I give it up?

Last night I resisted..another day done and sitting with a cup of tea and clear head this morning.

Well taking it one day at a time helps, But just resisting is bound to fail, If serious in stopping you have to put a plan into action that keeps you occupied in your witching hours.

Any old hobbies that you have left behind ? Are you into fitness ? movies ? cooking ? Getting out for a walk during them hours your feel vulnerable ? Even go to a local AA meeting, nothing to loose and everything to gain.

There's no miracles in this fight and it is hard, but it can be done. good luck and keep posting and sharing.:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Just keep putting one foot in front of the other, OP. I'm your age and breaking any long-ingrained habit is hard, never mind something as tricky as drink. But every single day that you make it to bed without having picked up is a huge achievement, no matter how small it might appear now. Just hang in there.

And thanks for posting here. I know exactly what it feels like to drink to escape/blot out feelings of being 'trapped', but I haven't had to do it for a while now, thankfully.

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 295 ✭✭aabarnes1

Hi savemefrom I do hope you are in a slightly better place today.

I can tell you how I coped in the early days of stopping drinking.
    I had tried, unsuccessfully, many times to quit, limit or change my drinking as it was causing me more and more trouble.Every time I drank, my condition progressively got worse and worse If I am truthful, the drink actually stopped working for me. I was drinking about 10 to 14 pints and a bottle and a half of vodka a day, from 7 in the morning until I collapsed at some point early in the evening. The black hole in my head and the 'washing machine effect' of crazy thoughts just escalated and had me in a place I felt I could not escape from unless I had a drink, but the drink didn't work. yes, I did consider alternatives, but tbh, I am too selfish.As my behaviour worsened and my drinking blackouts more frequent I felt I was nearing the end. I was broken, beaten, done.
    With the help of a friend and my wife, we decided to go to my doctor, he already new I was a problem drinker but had never seen me in this state.
    He gave my wife a weeks supply of Librium to wean me off and help me cope with the withdrawals of alcohol and suggested rehab and AA. As I had already tried every conceivable method to drink like a normal person, I had to admit to my self that I was beaten, I had to accept that I was powerless over alcohol in all it's form and guises.
    So after a week I attended an AA meeting in Dublin, there was a mix of ages of men and women who shared a common problem. I listened to what they shared and could identify with almost all of them in the room. One particular guy shared a story that was almost a carbon copy of my life, I thought I was unique!!, I thought nobody would understand me, nobody would feel the way I do, no body had the problems I had. But they did. Nearly all of them had exactly the same way of mad thinking as me, especially when it came to justifying the first drink or feeling sorry for myself. I went on then to Sr Concillios in Athenry for 3 months in to rehab.
    Although I felt a void, like a hole in a doughnut inside me initially after stopping drinking, I took up swimming again and cooking at home, to fill some of the time. I changed my job at 49, easily I might add. But most importantly I kept going back to AA, and still do obviously, and my life, my thinking and my health (mental,spiritual and physical) has improved beyond my dreams.
    I feel part of something now, I don't feel different anymore. My self esteem which was once lower than a snakes belly, has shot through the roof and all the irrational fear I used to suffer has basically gone. My life is not perfect, but it is manageable on a daily basis, thanks to AA.
    It took me a couple of times to eventually quit and get to where I am now, in fact I really struggled in the beginning. But I had nowhere else to go, except insane or dead, so it wasn't a hard decision for me in the end. My journey is exactly that, it's mine. But I only achieved it by listening to people like me and others who had suffered, who were willing to share their experience, hope and strength.
    There is a wonderful sober life waiting for you friend, I hope you find it soon. God bless you.

• Advertisement

aabarnes1 wrote: »
    Hi savemefrom I do hope you are in a slightly better place today.

I can tell you how I coped in the early days of stopping drinking.
    I had tried, unsuccessfully, many times to quit, limit or change my drinking as it was causing me more and more trouble.Every time I drank, my condition progressively got worse and worse If I am truthful, the drink actually stopped working for me. I was drinking about 10 to 14 pints and a bottle and a half of vodka a day, from 7 in the morning until I collapsed at some point early in the evening. The black hole in my head and the 'washing machine effect' of crazy thoughts just escalated and had me in a place I felt I could not escape from unless I had a drink, but the drink didn't work. yes, I did consider alternatives, but tbh, I am too selfish.As my behaviour worsened and my drinking blackouts more frequent I felt I was nearing the end. I was broken, beaten, done.
    With the help of a friend and my wife, we decided to go to my doctor, he already new I was a problem drinker but had never seen me in this state.
    He gave my wife a weeks supply of Librium to wean me off and help me cope with the withdrawals of alcohol and suggested rehab and AA. As I had already tried every conceivable method to drink like a normal person, I had to admit to my self that I was beaten, I had to accept that I was powerless over alcohol in all it's form and guises.
    So after a week I attended an AA meeting in Dublin, there was a mix of ages of men and women who shared a common problem. I listened to what they shared and could identify with almost all of them in the room. One particular guy shared a story that was almost a carbon copy of my life, I thought I was unique!!, I thought nobody would understand me, nobody would feel the way I do, no body had the problems I had. But they did. Nearly all of them had exactly the same way of mad thinking as me, especially when it came to justifying the first drink or feeling sorry for myself. I went on then to Sr Concillios in Athenry for 3 months in to rehab.
    Although I felt a void, like a hole in a doughnut inside me initially after stopping drinking, I took up swimming again and cooking at home, to fill some of the time. I changed my job at 49, easily I might add. But most importantly I kept going back to AA, and still do obviously, and my life, my thinking and my health (mental,spiritual and physical) has improved beyond my dreams.
    I feel part of something now, I don't feel different anymore. My self esteem which was once lower than a snakes belly, has shot through the roof and all the irrational fear I used to suffer has basically gone. My life is not perfect, but it is manageable on a daily basis, thanks to AA.
    It took me a couple of times to eventually quit and get to where I am now, in fact I really struggled in the beginning. But I had nowhere else to go, except insane or dead, so it wasn't a hard decision for me in the end. My journey is exactly that, it's mine. But I only achieved it by listening to people like me and others who had suffered, who were willing to share their experience, hope and strength.
    There is a wonderful sober life waiting for you friend, I hope you find it soon. God bless you.

Powerfull post there aabarnes, thank you.

Thanks for all the replies. I will respond to them all shortly. Just a quick update . Clear head and another day done. Aabarnes, i didnt reach that extreme but realised i could. My new worst habit was when choosing the wine, i wasnt looking at the quality but turning the bottle around to check it was 13.5 percent at least

Today in work I stood up to a situation where I felt I was being put down. Maybe a hungover me wouldn't have.

Tonight I felt thirsty, and my brain said go get wine or beer to quench the thirst. Funny how much your brain becomes taken over, especially given that alcohol dehydrates. I had some bottle water I bought at lunchtime instead.

Another day survived. My one thought today was how much drinking turns you into a liar. I want the honest me back that my family can be proud of.

Suggestions of hobbies, walking and learning to swim are on my agenda to fill the void. I have some unfinished educational qualification to complete (don't care if I'm the oldest amongst the shiny new students that they put on the brochures). Time for action.

Thanks to all who post on this forum.

You are right about the 'thirst'.

Sometimes our mind can trick us into thinking a genuine thirst is a need for a drink(of alcohol). We obviously get thirsty for a reason, but we certainly don't need alcohol in shape or form to alleviate that thirst.
    If you nee something fizzy, try a Berocca with a slice of lemon and ice in sparkling water, that'll do the trick.
    Dishonesty and selfishness are at the very core of our drinking, and we have to remind ourselves to be rid of these defects on a daily basis.
    It would appear from your post that you are giving it a go, so keep it up. Easy does it and remember don't try to fix everything today.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭eamor

Thanks for all the replies. I will respond to them all shortly. Just a quick update . Clear head and another day done. Aabarnes, i didnt reach that extreme but realised i could. My new worst habit was when choosing the wine, i wasnt looking at the quality but turning the bottle around to check it was 13.5 percent at least[/QUOTE

That made me shudder....I could have typed those words myself. After a while I was buying 2 of those because I bottle just wasn't enough. My last bottle of wine, I drank it like normal people drink Tea. I was convinced the 13.5 % was a mislabel. Thank god I found AA :)

• Advertisement

So, how have I ended up here?

the "here" being drinking too much, as opposed to Boards.

Not sure which came first, the low self-esteem or the drinking. While I have moments of strong self belief, more often than not, I dwell on the things that have gone wrong, beating myself up over the one thing that maybe went wrong and forgetting all the good.

The down feeling after a night's drinking always made things worse, but will abstaining alone, be the solution. Suspect I need to grow in other ways.

But one step at a time. Another day minus drink thankfully. I declared I was giving it a break until Christmas, but feel I really want to make this a permanent choice. I know going visiting at xmas, people will push the xmas "cheer" my way, but one day at a time, that's a battle for down the road.

Posting here has definitely helped me stay strong so far.

Going forward, not sure if I should keep on posting in this thread or post my daily updates in the "haven't touched a drop in" thread. Maybe a Mod could advise.

So, how have I ended up here?

the "here" being drinking too much, as opposed to Boards.

Not sure which came first, the low self-esteem or the drinking. While I have moments of strong self belief, more often than not, I dwell on the things that have gone wrong, beating myself up over the one thing that maybe went wrong and forgetting all the good.

The down feeling after a night's drinking always made things worse, but will abstaining alone, be the solution. Suspect I need to grow in other ways.

But one step at a time. Another day minus drink thankfully. I declared I was giving it a break until Christmas, but feel I really want to make this a permanent choice. I know going visiting at xmas, people will push the xmas "cheer" my way, but one day at a time, that's a battle for down the road.

Posting here has definitely helped me stay strong so far.

Going forward, not sure if I should keep on posting in this thread or post my daily updates in the "haven't touched a drop in" thread. Maybe a Mod could advise.

You IMO can still post your journey and updates here as this is your story, and when you reach a milestone post it to in other thread,You seemed to be well focused on your sobriety and yes deal with the other issues near the time, having excuses or plan in place around Christmas is a must . Good luck

Another day without and it has not been on my mind. Stomach a bit off the last two days but i do suffer from food allergies. Pressure period in work and feeling tired and exhausted and subsequently a bit down. It will pass. Must tackle the work priorities i have been putting off.

Another day without and it has not been on my mind. Stomach a bit off the last two days but i do suffer from food allergies. Pressure period in work and feeling tired and exhausted and subsequently a bit down. It will pass. Must tackle the work priorities i have been putting off.

Being irritable and discontent is also part of the recovery, sure its only natural that your mind and body is fighting the massive changes going on in your everyday life, there screaming what the **** is happening here where's me beer.
    It will pass and things will get better.

Being irritable and discontent is also part of the recovery, sure its only natural that your mind and body is fighting the massive changes going on in your everyday life, there screaming what the **** is happening here where's me beer.
    It will pass and things will get better.

Thanks Mr Mouse,

I have cut out sugar and carbs at the same time, so one week in I think I've suffered an energy slump, from the change, sitting here falling asleep in the chair, but keeping the bigger picture in mind.

I will survive today without drink, posting here is keeping me honest to my commitment, so far so go. Not underestimating the long road ahead.

A change of job would be a huge boost. Having said that, for whatever reason, be it low self-esteem etc, I have read job specs and not sent my cv off anywhere. It's like the lotto, you can't have a chance to win if you don't buy the ticket. Need to be a more proactive.

When first stopping drinking, most residential rehab centres advise on drinking sugary drinks and having chocolate/biscuits close by as the sugar levels drop once we stop drinking alcohol and the subsequent low can give us a false sense of a 'need' for a drink.
    It was certainly the case with me.
    I would advise you concentrate on one thing at a time, don't try to fix everything at once.
    Give time.... time.
    Easy does it.
    Just ask for help in the morning, read some relevant literature and try to do something you wouldn't normally do.

When first stopping drinking, most residential rehab centres advise on drinking sugary drinks and having chocolate/biscuits close by as the sugar levels drop once we stop drinking alcohol and the subsequent low can give us a false sense of a 'need' for a drink.
    It was certainly the case with me.
    I would advise you concentrate on one thing at a time, don't try to fix everything at once.
    Give time.... time.
    Easy does it.
    Just ask for help in the morning, read some relevant literature and try to do something you wouldn't normally do.

Thanks, I was just sitting here thinking the same.

Survived passed the danger point, another night done.

Someone in the house brought in a bottle of wine and sat beside me drinking it.

I think if they had of immediately offered me a glass I might have said yes. Half an hour later, I was sitting there confident I would say no if offered then.

The impulsive compulsive response I need to avoid. That feeling can pass if I pause to think.

Not much traffic passing through here, so going to cut back to a weekly post at most and use the "haven't touch a drop..." thread going forward.

Thanks for all the comments.

Hi Savemefrom,

This is your thread where your putting your thoughts & progress or not here, You wont get to much traffic coming here, It great for reading back on in your push to move forward.

What are you doing to help you stop ? Are you going to any of the fellowships around ? any plans in place for when situations like above happen again, as they sure will ?

Hi Savemefrom,

This is your thread where your putting your thoughts & progress or not here, You wont get to much traffic coming here, It great for reading back on in your push to move forward.

What are you doing to help you stop ? Are you going to any of the fellowships around ? any plans in place for when situations like above happen again, as they sure will ?
    Personally, I would try to avoid situations where people are consuming alcohol around me in the early days, not always possible I understand, but usually do-able.

As mouse says, we have to take action, just putting down the drink will not KEEP us sober, we have to go further.
    I found it not too difficult to stop in the beginning, however I could never stay stopped. I din't look at the reasons WHY I drank or what triggered me, consequently I was lead back to the bottle.
    Thankfully that is not the case today, but I had to work at it.

• Advertisement

Personally, I would try to avoid situations where people are consuming alcohol around me in the early days, not always possible I understand, but usually do-able.

As mouse says, we have to take action, just putting down the drink will not KEEP us sober,we have to go further.
    I found it not too difficult to stop in the beginning, however I could never stay stopped. I din't look at the reasons WHY I drank or what triggered me, consequently I was lead back to the bottle.
    Thankfully that is not the case today, but I had to work at it.

It might sound surprising, but the number of times I would end up in a pub in a year, you could probably count on one hand. And even on them occasions, I would be a "normal" social drinker only, calling it a day after 2 or 3 pints. Typically, I might go for a meal with herself and have a couple of drinks only and leave feeling too full for anymore.

I've never been out of control in a social situation or wanted to drink to that extent. Luckily, perhaps, I feel too full after 3 pints, a light weight some might say.

My drinking habit of late, they has made me stop and think, is drinking at home of an evening, which was becoming more frequent. And the amount of wine was creeping up from half a bottle to a full bottle and then a bottle with 2 strong cans of cider. Enough to leave me feeling rotten in the morning.

So its become a habit that I want to nip in the bud. Boredom and stress are factors that I must find a different way to deal with.

The situation I referred to in the previous post of a person in the house with the bottle of wine in front of me, was a (adult) child of mine. It made me think further, that they are only mimicking what they see me as their Peer, doing. Another reason to stop, and lead by example. I want their memory of me, when my time is up to be a positive one, and not the one I might leave it I don't choose to change.

The thing with wine, you can be almost broke the day before pay day, but for €3.99 get a bottle of wine in Aldi. I was starting to scrape the coppers together of some wednesdays, that's a bit low when I look back. But 11 days without any drink, I'm looking at things with a more normal mind. The start of of a long road, that I am not under estimating.

I feel so feckin irritable tonight. I almost cracked.

I'm thinking about something in work that I have to complete and anticipating a bad clash with the boss over it. Maybe, I was looking for wine tonight to escape this feeling, or, maybe it's part of the withdrawal, or a bit of both.

Pass the hour of danger, will head off to bed now and hope I find the strength to tackle, rather that avoid my work fears tomorrow.

I feel so feckin irritable tonight. I almost cracked.

I'm thinking about something in work that I have to complete and anticipating a bad clash with the boss over it. Maybe, I was looking for wine tonight to escape this feeling, or, maybe it's part of the withdrawal, or a bit of both.

Pass the hour of danger, will head off to bed now and hope I find the strength to tackle, rather that avoid my work fears tomorrow.

Try and get some sleep. Pray if you're into that. I had terrible trouble sleeping a few months back (work related stress ) so I used to listen to 'white noise' on my phone, under the pillow and it helped. (You tube).

eamor wrote: »
    Try and get some sleep. Pray if you're into that. I had terrible trouble sleeping a few months back (work related stress ) so I used to listen to 'white noise' on my phone, under the pillow and it helped. (You tube).

Thanks Eamor. Finding it a struggle hanging on at the mo.

Trying to tackle this on my own is probably making it harder, but that's how I deal with everything in life, from the little boy boy whose mother died and was told it was brave not to cry. Never being at ease to speak my mind, putting up a shield the whole time.

So much has to change, but maybe smaller steps with a little help from friends, but pride and all that.....

Savemefrom you cant do this on your own, You need help to fight this, Nothing changes if nothing changes. here is a link to some help groups in Ireland, You have absolutely nothing to loose by contacting any one of them of your choice, and absolutely a lot to gain. Go for it & help yourself become the person you really want to become.

Thanks Eamor. Finding it a struggle hanging on at the mo.

Trying to tackle this on my own is probably making it harder, but that's how I deal with everything in life, from the little boy boy whose mother died and was told it was brave not to cry. Never being at ease to speak my mind, putting up a shield the whole time.

So much has to change, but maybe smaller steps with a little help from friends, but pride and all that.....

My friend,pride is the luxury of others, not for us ex drinkers. It gives us a false outlook on how we perceive things and how we think others perceive us.
    It is a deadly virtue.
    I can not tell you what to do, but I can tell you what I did and am doing, trying to 'win' on my own is not something I would attempt again. Trust me I have tried, just like I have tried to stop drinking my way, tried to control drinking my way, tried to control situations/people/places/things my way all to no avail. Basically when I try to run the show, it doesn't work out- I had to get help. Get rid of my false pride that stood in my way and ask for help.
    Thankfully, many were only too willing to help and listen, that's why I keep going back and sharing and listening.
    Best of luck

Lately i feel i am of more worth to my family if i were to die. Mortgage cleared etc and they could have financial security. The recession brought me from boom to bust. Life holds little joy

Lately i feel i am of more worth to my family if i were to die. Mortgage cleared etc and they could have financial security. The recession brought me from boom to bust. Life holds little joy

Money is not everything to everyone & I am quite positive that your family would rather have you then your money.

Savemefrom I was very wealthy years ago, had every materialistic item you can buy, big house & cars, holidays, businesses, I lost it all. everything even my family.

With the help of many people & fellowships & a determination that I wont let this ****ing addiction kill me, I came back & I doing quite well now,& most importantly have a great relationship with my family.

You can beat this, the support & help is there waiting for you, You just have to reach out & grap it.

Its a very powerful crazy addiction this, its the only illness that actually talks to you & tells you your ok just have another.

Take the step savemefrom don't let this addiction/illness kill you.

Quitting and staying quit isn’t easy, it’s learning a whole new way of thinking. It’s accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...

Let me assure you my friend, you are worth way more to your family alive.
    You display very typical thoughts that we have all encountered, but if you think about them they are actually quite selfish.
    Boom to bust eh, sound to me like you never had the boom. Yes you might have had money, business success, a nice car and other possessions but were you happy, spiritually? Did you mistake the hunger to succeed for the inability to sit comfortably with yourself? Did you always think you needed more of everything rather than accepting you have what you need?
    You have a life and a family that have clearly supported and stood by you.
    You may well have provided for them financially but emotionally??
    Time to take stock my friend, we need to address whats really going on. as mentioned before, we cannot do this alone, we need help.
    We MUSt swallow our false pride, take the bit between our teeth and ask.

• Advertisement

Let me assure you my friend, you are worth way more to your family alive.
    You display very typical thoughts that we have all encountered, but if you think about them they are actually quite selfish.
    Boom to bust eh, sound to me like you never had the boom. Yes you might have had money, business success, a nice car and other possessions but were you happy, spiritually? Did you mistake the hunger to succeed for the inability to sit comfortably with yourself? Did you always think you needed more of everything rather than accepting you have what you need?
    You have a life and a family that have clearly supported and stood by you.
    You may well have provided for them financially but emotionally??
    Time to take stock my friend, we need to address whats really going on. as mentioned before, we cannot do this alone, we need help.
    We MUSt swallow our false pride, take the bit between our teeth and ask.

Thanks for these words and yours Flying Mouse.
    I had to go and look up the meaning of "false pride" and I can see it clearly in action in the way I live, putting on a public image, on guard about what I say all the time etc. Food for thought.

The spiritual side? as a non religious person, I might have to work on that solution to understand more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

It doesn't have to be religious, finding a deeper connection with yourself can be huge.
    Everyone has different ways of meditating, for me sitting quietly doesn't work but I find a long walk alone in the mountains can do wonders for me if I'm feeling stressed. With no distractions you can really clear your worries and focus on the beauty of life it's self.
    Again, that may not be for you but I would encourage you to find your meditation.
    Keep up the good work, mate. You're doing really well! :)

Thanks for these words and yours Flying Mouse.
    I had to go and look up the meaning of "false pride" and I can see it clearly in action in the way I live, putting on a public image, on guard about what I say all the time etc. Food for thought.

The spiritual side? as a non religious person, I might have to work on that solution to understand more.

The only reason you need to go to a AA meeting is the desire to stop drinking, that's it.

Now of you go :-)

Hello Savemefrom,

Just checking in to see how you are doing today? There is some really good advice here. What you are feeling and describing is something that we can all relate to. I understand your reluctance to go to AA, but what have you got to loose at this stage? You don't have to do anything else, other than turn up. You don't have to speak, other than acknowledge it's your first meeting (You can nod, speak, or put your hand up). You are white knuckling this, and you don't have to. I can't emphasise that enough.
    Good luck and keep coming back here to share. :)

E

The only reason you need to go to a AA meeting is the desire to stop drinking, that's it.

Now of you go :-)

Please don't get spirituality and religion confused, they are 2 very different phenomena. I am not in any way religious, however I do have a belief in a Power greater than myself, a God of MY own understanding, the kid of God that gives us beautiful sunsets and allows the fantastic development of a an ugly grub into a beautiful butterfly-- get my meaning.

Sunday night I bought in a bottle of wine. That's all, and nothing since, but boy, how bad did I feel Monday morning, a mixture of stomach pains, brought on by eating foods along with it that I am allergic to with my guard down,and feeling awfully depressed and guilty.

Quiet, shocked that so "little" could leave me feeling so bad so quickly.

I was very stressed about the thoughts of work on Monday. Leaving now would be a relief, but doing that might make something else harder to find. So living in a state of anxiety at the moment, struggling to get up in the mornings.

My plan was to quit until xmas and consider it long-term thereafter. I now know quitting full time is the long term solution.

Taking on board the advice to go to meetings and explore spiritual side. Time pressure with work might mean a few weeks before I have time to invest. Over coming work issues is the most pressing. I can see myself turning around and quitting and that might cause short-term financial issues for the family, which is worrying me to.

• Advertisement

Please don't get spirituality and religion confused, they are 2 very different phenomena. I am not in any way religious, however I do have a belief in a Power greater than myself, a God of MY own understanding, the kid of God that gives us beautiful sunsets and allows the fantastic development of a an ugly grub into a beautiful butterfly-- get my meaning.

I am not getting anything confused, for its worth I don't go to AA meetings at all, And my beliefs are mine no one else's.

What I am trying to do is give the OP a way out, IMO he is sinking fast & if AA is an option let him go there, as at the moment it seems the only lifeline he has, I would have prayed to a cow in a field if I thought back then it would help me stop drinking.

Sunday night I bought in a bottle of wine. That's all, and nothing since, but boy, how bad did I feel Monday morning, a mixture of stomach pains, brought on by eating foods along with it that I am allergic to with my guard down,and feeling awfully depressed and guilty.

Quiet, shocked that so "little" could leave me feeling so bad so quickly.

I was very stressed about the thoughts of work on Monday. Leaving now would be a relief, but doing that might make something else harder to find. So living in a state of anxiety at the moment, struggling to get up in the mornings.

My plan was to quit until xmas and consider it long-term thereafter. I now know quitting full time is the long term solution.

Taking on board the advice to go to meetings and explore spiritual side. Time pressure with work might mean a few weeks before I have time to invest. Over coming work issues is the most pressing. I can see myself turning around and quitting and that might cause short-term financial issues for the family, which is worrying me to.

hi savemefrom,Hope this does not come across as to harsh but here it is, said with respect to you as I & others here can relate,

Nothing or no one can help people unless they want to be helped. I have a friend where I live now, He's been to rehab 3 times and has been going to all & every sort of fellowships you can name, online, offline, meetings for tea etc etc and he's still drinking.

There's not much I can say to him that hasn't already been said. I've offered all the support I can, but it's not enough. He refuses to close the door on alcohol, leaves it open just a crack in case he needs to run back to it. And he will, time and time again until he wants to be sober more than he wants to drink.

He's not ready to make the commitment needed to obtain lasting sobriety. And no one can help him until he does. Getting sober isn't something to take lightly. It isn't something we work at for a few months, it's a lifelong commitment. Until you make that commitment, your next slip/relapse is just around the corner.

Wish you the best & hopefully you make the right Discsion for you sooner than later.

Flying Mouse, i think aabarnes was replying to me.

It u dont use meetings what do u do?

Flying Mouse, i think aabarnes was replying to me.

It u dont use meetings what do u do?

Online support groups is what got it for me at the very start, also I really wanted & knew I had to stop, no buts or excuses of any sort, If I wanted to have a normal life with my family & real friends, I needed to stop.

I excepted that I could not drink alcohol in any way, admitted defeat to myself & then went off & got support & help from anyone & everyone genuine enough to help me.

There are quite a few good links here that will help you & give you support.

But at the end of the day the choice is just down to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

I am not getting anything confused, for its worth I don't go to AA meetings at all, And my beliefs are mine no one else's.

What I am trying to do is give the OP a way out, IMO he is sinking fast & if AA is an option let him go there, as at the moment it seems the only lifeline he has, I would have prayed to a cow in a field if I thought back then it would help me stop drinking.

I have repeatedly requested an AA member only thread, where actual recovered alcoholics can share the actual AA program (located in the Big Book) with newcomers and those lurking. I think you are generally a nice person Mouse, but yet you are part of the reason why we need it.
    Why?
    Because only five months ago you said you did go to AA , but that you apparently liked the "social" aspect more than the meetings :
    I to went to AA, but for me the best part was the conversations/meetings after the AA meetings, In fact a group of us started to go for coffees/teas,/food at least twice a month, That for me was more helpful in me fighting my addiction than the meetings themselves, Just saying not knocking AA.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=100085540&postcount=2517

Then a month later you posted this:
    hi all hope you are all doing well, haven't been around much these times as I caught up in a lot of personnel/work ****.In fact heavy enough issues, As some of you might know I am 7,1/2 years clean, Still have no inclination or temptation to drink but, I find I still missing something, So today I went to a AA meeting and have now decided to do the 12 steps programme, I have never honestly had a one to one re myself,f actually I thought I was above it, but I not, and now is the time for me to nail this ****er once and for all. thanks.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=100456139&postcount=2588

I admired your honesty here and was looking forward to hearing how you got on......but it seems you didn't follow through.
    And that is fine. Maybe you don't need to do it!

But there are some of us who do, some of us for who the AA program of recovery literally saved our lives, and for who this stuff is (not was) vitally important.

Anyways:

For anyone interested, there are some good talks here to give you an idea of what AA is all about:

And here is a link to the Big Book itself, and although it is entirely possible to recover (yes, recover!) doing this on your own, it's a hell of a lot easier having someone who's recovered themselves guide you through it--even if that is just by listening to some of the Big Book studies located on the channel above:
    http://www.aa.org/pages/en_US/alcoholics-anonymous

Meetings in Ireland: http://www.alcoholicsanonymous.ie/Information-on-AA/Find-a-Meeting

Best of luck to all, no matter what path you travel ;)

• Advertisement

Amazingfun wrote: »
    I have repeatedly requested an AA member only thread, where actual recovered alcoholics can share the actual AA program (located in the Big Book) with newcomers and those lurking.

Sounds a good idea. Can you not just go ahead and start that thread?

I have gone to AA meetings, CA meetings and numerous other meetings & meet ups, I don't need you amassing fun to tell me yours is the only way out of this mess as its not. That's why there is no AA thread here, your as in AA is to self righteous .

Maybe you should practice doing your 12th step here ? Instead of every few weeks barging in & putting the AA out there , You might find it will work a lot better to get your opinions & AA across.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

Amazingfun wrote: »
    I have repeatedly requested an AA member only thread, where actual recovered alcoholics can share the actual AA program (located in the Big Book) with newcomers and those lurking.

Sounds a good idea. Can you not just go ahead and start that thread?

Yeah, maybe we can give it a go in the New Year, lol.....see if we can get through The Doctors Opinion anyways ;)

http://www.silkworth.net/gsowatch/litbook.pdf

In the meantime, there really is a wealth of resources online these days, and anyone who wants to recover, can. It's how I came to truly understand what was being said to me about alcoholism (this after years of repeatedly returning to drink and suffering tremendous consequences)---by listening to those who went before me. The benefit of hearing it this way was I could do it at my leisure, and repeat it when necessary, as I often seem to suffer from "forget-everything-itus", lol.

So, it's an option for those who have access to the internet, which thankfully is most of us these days. It is especially helpful for those in rural areas or places where there isn't access to regular meetings.

Anyways, feel free to pm myself or others when/if you have any questions, as we were all new once upon a time :)

A.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Guys please stop the hostility - Nobody needs to be critical of particular recovery methods, nor do we need to segregate conversation. Everyone just needs to remember the reason why this forum is valuable, and to provide support and advice that is accessible and useful to everybody regardless of how they're trying to get better.

Thanks

Savemefrom No one has a monopoly on recovery strategies. That is why some people recover in AA, some recover in religious programs, and some just get creative and carve their own path. If someone tells you that their program is the only way to recover, RUN. They are dangerous.imo.You have to find what works best for yourself.

We are nowhere near a cure for addiction. Treating substance abuse and addiction is a very young field. The best recovery programs in the world offer poor success rates. There is no magic cure as of yet. Drug rehabs can help, but success rates remain low. The best bet in recovery is to hit bottom, become willing, and ask for help. No one has figured out how to make all of that happen at will.

Good luck & wish you the best in what ever path you choose.

I meant the OP mouse, not you.... sorry if I confused,

eamor wrote: »
    Hello Savemefrom,

Just checking in to see how you are doing today? There is some really good advice here. What you are feeling and describing is something that we can all relate to. I understand your reluctance to go to AA, but what have you got to loose at this stage? You don't have to do anything else, other than turn up. You don't have to speak, other than acknowledge it's your first meeting (You can nod, speak, or put your hand up). You are white knuckling this, and you don't have to. I can't emphasise that enough.
    Good luck and keep coming back here to share. :)

E

Thanks. I haven't ruled anything in or out. MY mind is open. The Sunday blip has not been repeated. Sometimes we can learn from a fall.

One thing that stuck in my mind about AA, was a bloke I worked with years ago coming into work telling me he met his Uncle there. I thought, so much for anonymity! He was rather an immature person in hindsight. One fear, would be meeting people you know and feeling, can you trust them to respect your right to anonymity.

Thanks. I haven't ruled anything in or out. MY mind is open. The Sunday blip has not been repeated. Sometimes we can learn from a fall.

One thing that stuck in my mind about AA, was a bloke I worked with years ago coming into work telling me he met his Uncle there. I thought, so much for anonymity! He was rather an immature person in hindsight. One fear, would be meeting people you know and feeling, can you trust them to respect your right to anonymity.

If you did meet people there would they not be there for the same reason you are ? & them thinking the same about you ? Just say hello to them you might have more in common than you think.

Everybody is going out and having fun, I'm a fool for staying home and having none............

It feels a bit like that song tonight.

But the clear head in the morning will make that alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭hubba

Dead right, savemefrom. Just keep reminding yourself. January will soon come and you will be in great shape amongst the walking wounded.:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement