Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling In Belgium

Options
  • 19-11-2016 12:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭

This has been a topic of discussion before but I'm looking to next summer in Belgium; in particular having a go at some local racing/kermesse-style events. I will combine it with a bit if holidaying if the opportunity arises.

I'm not so naive as to expect it to be straightforward as Flanders is probably the most ruthless place in which to race. But more specifically, are there grades of races, something similar to A1, 2, 3, 4 etc? I'm not looking for a pro-contract, rather an experience similar to riding A2/A3 races at home. I have heard there is a racing category euphemistically called 'Gentlemen' in Belgium; as to how one qualifies as such a rider is something I would like to know more about. I suspect it isn't exactly moustache-bearing, cap wearing postmen we are talking about here, though it could be where I find myself.

Any advice would be appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭columbus_66

JK.BMC wrote: »
    This has been a topic of discussion before but I'm looking to next summer in Belgium; in particular having a go at some local racing/kermesse-style events. I will combine it with a bit if holidaying if the opportunity arises.

I'm not so naive as to expect it to be straightforward as Flanders is probably the most ruthless place in which to race. But more specifically, are there grades of races, something similar to A1, 2, 3, 4 etc? I'm not looking for a pro-contract, rather an experience similar to riding A2/A3 races at home. I have heard there is a racing category euphemistically called 'Gentlemen' in Belgium; as to how one qualifies as such a rider is something I would like to know more about. I suspect it isn't exactly moustache-bearing, cap wearing postmen we are talking about here, though it could be where I find myself.

Any advice would be appreciated

Racing in Belgium is not for the faint hearted, there are no grades, and it is similar to A1 racing or more. You don't know who is going to turn up on the day.
    You need to be well able to ride on cobbles, ride in the gutter, move up the bunch, sprint through corners, dodge cracks in the concrete etc. But well worth giving a go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

http://www.thechainstay.com/bicycle-racing-in-belgium-guide-help/kermis-racing-categories/

Wish I could be of more help. Sorry. Hope it's of some help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭JK.BMC

Racing in Belgium is not for the faint hearted, there are no grades, and it is similar to A1 racing or more. You don't know who is going to turn up on the day.
    You need to be well able to ride on cobbles, ride in the gutter, move up the bunch, sprint through corners, dodge cracks in the concrete etc. But well worth giving a go!

Thanks; I do like the challenge re: bike handling etc and have twice ridden the cobbles but would imagine it's quite different in a full on race

What sort of racing did you experience yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭cajonlardo

I can't help - but I do admire your bottle!
    Mate of mine did it back in the'80's and he has fantastic stories, another friend was mainly in France but did ride in Belgium and likewise , has fantastic stories
    Interesting links:

https://cyclingtips.com/2010/10/kermesse-kingdom/

http://www.thechainstay.com/bicycle-racing-in-belgium-guide-help/kermis-racing-in-belgium/

Ryan Sherlock http://ryansherlock.blogspot.ie/2011/09/2011-how-to-go-racing-in-belgium.html

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭columbus_66

JK.BMC wrote: »
    Thanks; I do like the challenge re: bike handling etc and have twice ridden the cobbles but would imagine it's quite different in a full on race

What sort of racing did you experience yourself?

Yes you need your wits about you racing in Belgium, nobody is gonna call out the potholes or cracks in the concrete for you. I did a few races over there, some good some bad, if you are losing it on the corners you can find yourself out the back pretty quick. And they eliminate you from the race if you are a few minutes down.
    You would need to be comfortable in the A1 races here to get around, the standard is more like the Ras than normal races here. Sometimes you would have a national track squad turn up and put the hammer down, especially if there is a crosswind. And you won't go around corners any faster than in Belgium, you can't afford to let the wheel go at all.
    But if you get into the racing there it's great fun, prizes for the first 30 usually, and primes as well. The circuits are usually 5 to 12 km long, 6 corners or more, bunches from 40 to 200, a mixture of cobbles, parquet, narrow and wide roads, everything really, usually not too hilly, but always hard.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭JK.BMC

Yes you need your wits about you racing in Belgium, nobody is gonna call out the potholes or cracks in the concrete for you. I did a few races over there, some good some bad, if you are losing it on the corners you can find yourself out the back pretty quick. And they eliminate you from the race if you are a few minutes down.
    You would need to be comfortable in the A1 races here to get around, the standard is more like the Ras than normal races here. Sometimes you would have a national track squad turn up and put the hammer down, especially if there is a crosswind. And you won't go around corners any faster than in Belgium, you can't afford to let the wheel go at all.
    But if you get into the racing there it's great fun, prizes for the first 30 usually, and primes as well. The circuits are usually 5 to 12 km long, 6 corners or more, bunches from 40 to 200, a mixture of cobbles, parquet, narrow and wide roads, everything really, usually not too hilly, but always hard.

Thanks for that; I suppose the very concept described is exactly the type of racing I enjoy; not much of it in Ireland but the kermesse-style over such terrain would suit my characteristics. I have no hope whatsoever of riding off the front but I'm open to giving it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭slow

Here's the link to the racing calendar:

http://competitie.dewielerbond.be/Kalender.aspx

Advertisement