Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop buffering but all other devices ok

Options
  • 19-11-2016 1:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

Hi,

My laptop is buffering when watching movies/youtube etc . When I watch the same things on my phone, or wifes phone no problems at all.

Download speed over Wifi is 30MB. Upload 16MB. So speed isn't a problem. I've tried over Ethernet cable and same problem.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

It's this a recent phenomenon? Have you tried updating flash and/or a different browser?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,799 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Also you could try turning on the WiFi hotspot on your phone and try that connection and see if there is any improvement. If there is you know its connection specific.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Dr Robert

FrostyJim wrote: »
    Also you could try turning on the WiFi hotspot on your phone and try that connection and see if there is any improvement. If there is you know its connection specific.

Tried that already.

Phone reconnected with no issues

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Turn on task manager and check something isn't consuming 100% cpu. If it is its probably windows update if you're running W10. WU has become a dreadful pain in the nuts lately.

jca wrote: »
    Turn on task manager and check something isn't consuming 100% cpu. If it is its probably windows update if you're running W10. WU has become a dreadful pain in the nuts lately.

Checked that.

CPU below 20%

Im on W7

• Advertisement

You could try downloading patch my pc. When you run it it will get you the latest flash players. Have you tried different browsers?

jca wrote: »
    You could try downloading patch my pc. When you run it it will get you the latest flash players. Have you tried different browsers?

Tried patch my pc.

Tried all browsers also.

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Change the channel on your wifi router, you may be on the same wifi channel as
    your neighbours ,
    Try channel 1,7, 11 .
    http://www.theverge.com/2015/1/27/7926001/youtube-drops-flash-for-html5-video-default
    I Think youtube uses a html video player now ,not flash.
    http://www.techrepublic.com/article/pro-tip-how-to-disable-flash-in-chrome/

Disable flash in chrome ,go to youtube see if its any better.
    Make sure theres at least 5gig free space on drive c.
    I was fixing a pc, it was very slow,
    i discovered half of drive c was full of temp dump files from a program they had downloaded .
    drive c was 99 per cent full .
    Windows 7 needs at least a few gig of free space to work normally.

riclad wrote: »
    Change the channel on your wifi router, you may be on the same wifi channel as
    your neighbours ,
    Try channel 1,7, 11 . Tried before but checked again. No difference
    http://www.theverge.com/2015/1/27/7926001/youtube-drops-flash-for-html5-video-default
    I Think youtube uses a html video player now ,not flash.
    http://www.techrepublic.com/article/pro-tip-how-to-disable-flash-in-chrome/

Disable flash in chrome ,go to youtube see if its any better. Tried, no difference
    Make sure theres at least 5gig free space on drive c. 200 GB free
    I was fixing a pc, it was very slow,
    i discovered half of drive c was full of temp dump files from a program they had downloaded .
    drive c was 99 per cent full .
    Windows 7 needs at least a few gig of free space to work normally.

Thanks, but no joy

• Registered Users Posts: 8,534 ✭✭✭brevity

Do you have a torrent app running?

• Advertisement

brevity wrote: »
    Do you have a torrent app running?

Nope

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

Laptops can throttle due to thermal problems. Check fans etc are clean.

This may be terribly obvious but it hasn't been changed to power save mode inadvertently. If you play a downloaded video in vlc player does it give trouble or is it only with video within browsers that are troublesome?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Plug in ethernet cable from router ,is it still buffering,
    try a usb wifi dongle if you have one.
    is it any better,
    try using 3g wifi tethering from a phone ,
    if you have 3g data on your phone plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,534 ✭✭✭brevity

Have there been any driver updates to the network card, maybe you need to rollback?

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭kierank01

FrostyJim wrote: »
    Dr Robert wrote: »
    Tried that already.

Phone reconnected with no issues

What do you mean by "Phone reconnected with no issues"?

What connection are you using when the phones are working without a problem? 3g/wifi?

When the laptop is connected to the 3g hotspot is the issue better/worse/thesame?

What happens if you do a speed check on the laptop when connected to wifi, and when connected to 3g hotspot?

What % of the processor is being used when you are trying to view a video?
    how much ram is being used up by the browser, how much is free?

Advertisement