Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tyre Choice - Previous ones noisy

• 19-11-2016 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Driving a 2004 1.9TDi Passat with 205/55/16 tyres (car still going like a charm) - I drive 550km a week (50:50 motorway:proper back roads) and do the speed limit at every safe opportunity.

Have two Turanza ER300 on the back and two T001 on the front - they were bought at slightly different times to replace fronts only then about a year later the backs, but the fronts went to the back then. Bought from new the ER300 have lasted 52k miles / 84k km, and the T001 have lasted 42k miles / 67.5k km and are in the condition attached (all tyres are in the same condition, image is of front T001).

T001.jpg

I know technically they're legal - passed NCT recently - but the back roads I drive are awful and with the weather getting worse now I don't feel like an accident for the sake of 400 quid (not that I have that to just throw away).

Problem is I find the car pretty noisy - others have commented on it too when trying to have a conversation with them in passenger seat sometimes - tyres are inflated to correct levels and checked pretty regularly.

I can get four T001s fitted for ~€85 a pop and before just getting them I wanted to see if anyone might recommend a similar quality tyre (or better) that would be less noisy?
    syvclr319
    Cheers for any and all advice.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

All tyres for sale now have a noise rating. If you look at eiretyres or oponeo and put in your tyre size you will see what the noise rating is for tyres in your size. Look for 69dB or less.

I think these ratings (fuel efficiency, wet braking, noise) are still self certified... I'd be inclined to trust the self certification of established brands over newer entrants to the market. But even then some of the "trusted" brands have been caught out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

Goodyear efficient grips are pretty quiet and long lasting in my experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Have just been through this, also in a Passat on Turanzas. Also noisy and wanted a quieter tyre. After quite a bit or research went for Fulda sport Control, so glad I did. Much quieter and better damped, cats eyes for example. €108 a corner, Sandyford tyres.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Find Michelin energy quiet enough. There are loads of different variants of them and I don't know which ones I have!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Nexen ND plus. A good quality, cheaper alternative to Bridgestone, Michelin etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement