Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How

• 19-11-2016 4:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 183 ✭✭

Hi there.

I'm trying to make up my mind at the minute about what route to take with my studies next year. I am currently in year three of a four year honors music/audio degree. I have the option to finish this year with a level 7 qualification, or next year with a level 8.

I have recently been informed that, after this year, with my level 7 qualification I edit: *may be* eligible to apply for certain Irish masters programmes that I'm interested in. Coupled with my work/extra curricular experience, I may have a shot of getting on to one of these masters programmes. This has put it into my head to finish my degree this year with level 7 and apply.

I'm afraid though that this might be foolish. I'm not sure how employers view qualifications. Like, when you have completed a masters do they still look at what you did before the masters... or is the masters qualification the be all and end all? Does it seem infinitely better to them that an individual has done a full degree and a masters, rather than a level 7 and a masters?

I hope this made sense. Maybe someone has been down a similar route before?Keen to hear people's take on this.

Many thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I would double- and triple-check that masters programmes allow entry straight from Level 7 to such programmes, it does seem quite unusual.

In terms of employers, some job specifications stipulate a Level 8, irrespective of subsequent qualifications.

Advertisement