Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Google play music free for three months

• 19-11-2016 5:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭

https://play.google.com/store
    Try Unlimited
    Free for 90 days
    Special offer: Get your first 90 days on us, then just 9.99 per month.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭deadybai

What's Google play like compared to Spotify?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,907 ✭✭✭DopeTech

deadybai wrote: »

Spotify has a much better range of music and far better interface imo. Both services offer free trials so you can test both out and see what you prefer.

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Spotify is easier to use but I loved the Google feature where you left the app listen to your radio and then it gave you the artist and song name..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

I prefer Google to Spotify. It allows you upload your own music and then mixes your own music into the random playlist radio feature.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭deadybai

Have Spotify myself but I don't like the playlists all having kinds generic songs. Like every rock playlist would have smells like teen spirit for example.

What I would like is something like YouTube where the next song coming up on recommend is something you actually like . Is there any music player that's like that ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 784 ✭✭✭editorsean

I've been using Google Music for over a year, mainly for in-car use on my hour journey to/from work, so can mention a few good things I like and the hiccups I've run into.

What I like:

It has a large variety of playlists that can be chosen by genre, activity, mood, decade, etc. This is mainly how I use Google Music in the car - So nice being able to turn on easy listening music when the radio stations play noisy techno / disco music in the evenings. It's come to the point where I seldom listen to the radio in the car.

When streaming, it buffers several songs ahead. It's great not having to download music/playlists before heading out. Google music has no problem coping with about 20 minutes of my journey that has no/edge coverage. The only time I had an issue was when roadworks took place in a no signal area, so occasionally had the buffer run out. For comparison, Deezer stops playing within seconds of losing coverage while streaming. I'm not sure about Spotify now, but do remember a similar issue when I had trial a few years ago.

It reduces the music volume for a few seconds when a notification occurs. So if the music quietens for a few seconds, check the phone's screen.

A few hiccups I run into intermittently:

Roughly every hour or two of playback, it gets stuck at the end of a song. To get past this, I need to press pause, wait 5 seconds and press play (pushing 'Next track' doesn't work). It mainly happens with Bluetooth as I don't recall it getting stuck with my wired headphones.

Its stations random playback does not exclude repeats. Occasionally it will even play the same song twice in a row. Workaround - push the 'Next track' button.

Occasionally there will be a Google Music App update that causes issues until the next update. For example, I had one week where everything streamed played in mono!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,907 ✭✭✭DopeTech

I prefer Google to Spotify. It allows you upload your own music and then mixes your own music into the random playlist radio feature.

That's just google sound search, you could have that and spotify. You'd just have to search for the artist in Spotify after.

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

FrostyJim wrote: »
    That's just google sound search, you could have that and spotify. You'd just have to search for the artist in Spotify after.

I know what Google sound search is. Google play music allows you upload 50000 songs from your music collection and mixes it into playlists.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

Any idea how long the offer is open to sign up? My spotify runs out on the second and don't want to overlap too much

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Same music on both really. Google interface much better but that is personal preference. I hate the Spotify interface.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

cefh17 wrote: »
    Any idea how long the offer is open to sign up? My spotify runs out on the second and don't want to overlap too much
    No, i looked for any dates on the offer, but could not find them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

My tuppence:

Roughly the same music on both, but I use Google 'cos they haven't blocked it in work, and because you can upload your own MP3s. The only advantage I can see with Spotify is that the wider public use it - people curating playlists will publish them for Spotify and not Google, links to songs/albums on twitter, facebook etc are always to spotify. That and Spotify has a free version.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

What's the link for the 3 months trial?
    Hang on I see it now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,576 ✭✭✭savemejebus

I think that there is a handy thing with Google music that if you upload your own music you can still stream it after the trial is done even if you don't subscribe.

I think that there is a handy thing with Google music that if you upload your own music you can still stream it after the trial is done even if you don't subscribe.
    That's what I use it for. It's great.
    Once Spotify's trial is up, it's useless

Sappy404 wrote: »
    My tuppence:

Roughly the same music on both, but I use Google 'cos they haven't blocked it in work, and because you can upload your own MP3s. The only advantage I can see with Spotify is that the wider public use it - people curating playlists will publish them for Spotify and not Google, links to songs/albums on twitter, facebook etc are always to spotify. That and Spotify has a free version.
    Google one is free for your own uploaded music too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭pawrick

yes, it's very handy for backing up your music library. I've been using it for that purpose since it started and buy the occasional song rather than pay the subscription which would be overkill for the amount of music I listen to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭cutthegrass

Is this offer gone now?

When I open Google Music I only get a 30 day offer not 90 days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭pawrick

Is this offer gone now?

When I open Google Music I only get a 30 day offer not 90 days.

still showing for me in the play store main page

don't go in through google music maybe?

• Advertisement

Have you used a trial on that google account already? They wont offer it twice, just use a different google account
    http://play.google.com/music/listen?signup=1&utm_source=playstore&utm_medium=banner&coupontype=vanity&coupon=EMEA90DAYFREE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭cutthegrass

Thanks - found it.

I made the mistake of going straight to the Play Music app.

The link for Play in the OP works. Click second tab for Music at top of page.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭NATLOR

Thanks OP Deezer 3 months free is up next week,this will do nicely :)

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Hon the Dubs

Hi all I signed up for the free trial a while ago but when I went to cancel it it said I had no subscriptions so I thought all was good but then I got charged 10.99 last month. Can anyone help or let me know of any contact info for them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

https://support.google.com/googleplay/answer/3122088?hl=en

You may need to contact them for refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭the heathen

deadybai wrote:

Ludo wrote:
    Same music on both really. Google interface much better but that is personal preference. I hate the Spotify interface.

Agree with Ludo. Bugger all difference in terms of music available. I personally think the interface is much more attractive to use and the free 50,000 song uploads is a winner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Patww79 wrote: »
    Would anyone have 50,000 songs that aren't on there already though? Even to have 500 you'd want to be listening to some fairly obscure stuff.

You can listen to your own music that you upload without subscribing to the premium service though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Hi all I signed up for the free trial a while ago but when I went to cancel it it said I had no subscriptions so I thought all was good but then I got charged 10.99 last month. Can anyone help or let me know of any contact info for them?

Similar happened to me. In my case I payed via paypal so contacted them for a refund. If you used paypal you would to open a pay dispute with them, I had no issues getting a refund. Oh and you will need to cancel your sub with google if you havent already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

You can listen to your own music that you upload without subscribing to the premium service though.

I should hope so as it's already you're music that you've already paid for.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    I should hope so as it's already you're music that you've already paid for.

Well...

Advertisement