Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Big 4 Firms Tax offers

• 19-11-2016 5:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hello,

I have received graduate offers from 3 of the Big 4 firms for Tax: PwC, KPMG and Deloitte.

I'm just wondering could anyone give me any advice on which of the firms would be the best to go for? I know everyone says to go for the one you got the best vibes from etc., but to be honest none of them stood out to me in those terms. So I'm just wondering if anyone has any opinions one which one is the best one to go for? Also, I want to get both the ACA and AITI qualifications, so in that sense have no reason to pick one over the other.

Also, does anyone have any advice on whether or not to do a masters?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 rapparree

From what I hear the working culture in PWC tax is significantly different to that in KPMG. In tax in KPMG, particularly outside of financial services tax you can expect over your contract to be working significant amounts of overtime. It is generally accepted as part of the culture that you simply do it to get the job done no matter how long.

In PWC from what I understand, working hours are much more standard i.e. 9-5, not sure exactly why but I think it is to do with attitudes towards the clients.

Dont know anything about Deloitte

In KPMG tax you need to do the ACA and AITI exams. Far more importance is placed on getting the ACAs and while you are expected to get the AITI exams they are not nearly as important in the context of your career and salary.

If you do a masters, you will do the tax part 2 exams in your first year and the FAEs in your second year.

If you don't do a masters and presuming you have the CAP 1 exemptions you would do the CAP 2 exams in your first year and the FAEs in your second year. The tax part 2 exams would be done in third year and you may be able to do the tax part 3s in the same year depending on how you got on in exams to date.

having done the FAEs, I don't think there is any significant difference in results between masters and non-masters students. There is a slight advantage in doing CAP2 exams in that you will only be one year removed from the same syllabus when doing the FAEs, and you will have all your CAP 2 notes.

If you come in off the masters, you will be doing the FAEs 2 years after you have studied the material and you will be coming off a different syllabus. Apart from financial reporting, there is very little provided to you on the FAE core course (in terms of lectures and notes) on the technical aspects of the main subjects as you are expected to be familiar with the material already, so you are left on your own to a certain extent. Everything from CAP1 to CAP2 is examinable in theory on the FAE. I would advise to retain as much of your college notes as possible, though useful notes will be easy enough to get from your peers.

In the FAE tax elective also, whilst it is a separate course, everything from CAP1 - CAP2 tax is in theory examinable, though it has rarely happened in practice

I would advise doing the masters as this will significant reduce the exams burden and your training contract will finish 5-6 months earlier.

I did all the ACA exams, but if I had to do it again I would prefer to have the CAP1 and CAP2 exemptions, it can be quite exhausting engaging with these courses each year particularly if you intend to go to the lectures. From CAP1 to FAE, I would have sat 19 separate exams when the interim assessments are included.

Whilst you get significant study leave for the main exams (which should be plenty of time to study for passing), you get usually one day only for each assessment and it can be quite hard to get proper study done, particularly when you are working significant hours during the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

Hey there! I am in the same position for tax between KPMG and Deloitte. I have no idea what to choose.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Solomon Pleasant

Hi guys,

You've both received offers from some of the big 4 in the accounting industry.
    Do you have any advice for someone looking to get a position in one of these firms? Also, what did you study in college? I'm studying business and German, so I do have the opportunity to specialize in accounting.

Thank you for any help or advice!

Advertisement